• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
tumblr_m33heiXrmK1qgc5odo1_500.jpg

Just thought I'd post this here to combat some of the Asami hate. Sexy ladies aren't all evil.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Didn't Ty Lee the inventor or Chi Blocking become a Kiyoshi Warrior?
So if the Sato family comes from Kiyoshi Island, then that means... >_>

Just watched the episode...
Jesus ... This series is so good. I loved Avatar TLA but man.. this is just as good or better.

The episode started a bit slow to me but they packed a ton of info into it. I'm oddly enough not interested in the whole love story even though I know something will go down.

The scene with Korra being pulled into the dark room and the fire slightly illuminating the chi blockers and the whole scene and dialogue was so good. The flashbacks into Korra thinking Tenzin was Aang was amazing. Her even saying "Aang?" had the same tone as if she knew him all along. Also Aang and the others look amazing as adults. I CAN NOT WAIT!

CleverGirl

Neo Member
According to the Avatar wiki, Sato is from the Dragon Flats area of Republic City. He and Asami are both said to be descended from the original fire nation colonists, and I don't think that Kyoshi Island was ever colonized.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
MUCH better than the last episode.

Great character scenes, awesome reveals, excellent mixture of comedy and drama, and just good all-around pacing.

The music and settings in this show. Good lord.

Aang looks as awesome as I envisioned. Sokka looks like Hakoda.

Omikaru

I've noticed that a lot of you quite enjoy the pace this show is going at throughout the series, but I figured I'd re-post my thoughts on it post-episode 4 (they were in spoiler tags last time), since I had some doubts about it beforehand.

I think Episode 4 sold me on the pace that this series is going at, though I think they're going to slow down a bit and spend the next one or two episodes concentrating mostly on the pro-bending tournament, so that Korra, Bolin and Mako (and maybe Asami too?) can develop and bond before the Amon plot comes back into full-swing, and Korra starts making progress with her airbending. I think they've firmly established the Equalist threat now, to the point that they need to let it stew for a bit.

Basically, if you still think the show is going too fast, and you're worried there's not going to be the kind of character development that ATLA had in the vast majority of its filler episodes, then maybe they'll get the dynamic of Korra's gang going next Saturday. It's going to be as close to "filler" episodes as this series will get before it kicks into full-swing, but I personally can't wait.

Sirius

The pro-bending and relationships aside, I think it's high time that we have an episode dedicated to breaking through the airbending / spiritual-enlightenment / chakra / avatar-state barrier that Korra seems to be fighting with.

That being said, I really - really thought that Korra would break into the Avatar State just before Amon was about to touch her. Her life wasn't necessarily in danger - but as defense mechanism, I think the right conditions to set it off were met.

Aang transitioning into the AS was usually onset by extreme emotion [grief, rage, fear], if not a life-threatening condition - and both were somewhat a factor in Korra's case.
Could this seal the notion that Korra's spiritual ineptitude may actually be somewhat 'inhibiting' her connection to her previous lives? If so, what could Tenzin possibly do to get a 17-year-old girl into her spiritual side?

Or is the Avatar State just harder to trigger in these Modern Day times with these crazy kids....

shira

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Aang would never back down on his "dont kill" philosophy.

It goes against his entire upbringing, and I'm sure the public would go "wtf????" if he killed some dude after going to great lengths to avoid killing a man who was going to go on a genocidal rampage.
The Promise

Am I the only one disappointed with the level of bending so far?

In the last series we got to see some awesome showing of bending and some very creative uses of it in battle. This, however, just feels .... limited, with more focus being on the hand-to-hand aspect.

And probending sure isn't helping much. Yeah, it looks awesome ... but it still feels like everyone's taking lil jabs at each other. And it seems that it's not the best style for fighting "real fights" seeing how weak Bolin's bending seemed to be when set in a real fight.

Korra is the only one to show some cool bending and even she seems to fall far short of anyone in the Gang.

Jintor

All the fights so far have been spectacularly short and brutal, and chi-blockers just end the flashy stuff like halfway through.

I think the bending is weaker this series for sure. But the hand to hand choreography is pretty impressive. I think it's still a spectacle because of it.

Mumei

MUCH better than the last episode.

Great character scenes, awesome reveals, excellent mixture of comedy and drama, and just good all-around pacing.

The music and settings in this show. Good lord.

Aang looks as awesome as I envisioned. Sokka looks like Hakoda.

Good to hear you're happier =D

In the last series we got to see some awesome showing of bending and some very creative uses of it in battle. This, however, just feels .... limited, with more focus being on the hand-to-hand aspect.

And probending sure isn't helping much. Yeah, it looks awesome ... but it still feels like everyone's taking lil jabs at each other. And it seems that it's not the best style for fighting "real fights" seeing how weak Bolin's bending seemed to be when set in a real fight.

Korra is the only one to show some cool bending and even she seems to fall far short of anyone in the Gang.

I agree that what we've seen isn't as impressive in terms of sheer scale, but I think you have to give it time. Compare what they were doing even in the middle of Season 1 with where they were by the finale of Season 3.

I'm sure we'll get there.

AniHawk

i'm still waiting on tenzin to do some ass-kicking. i'm expecting the season-ender to be amon vs. tenzin and korra at the same time.

Cheska

Don't torch me, but I've never watched TLA. However, I just sat and watched all four episodes of Korra and am absolutely in love with this universe. Now, I'm going to have a hard time waiting until Saturday for the next episode, but at least I can pass the time by going back and watching the series that started this all.

Also, episode three character spoiler:
Asami doesn't seem bad at all, but it all seems far too good to be true. I was hoping for the inevitable Mako/Korra love but I suppose it would be far too early to get that started

All the fights so far have been spectacularly short and brutal, and chi-blockers just end the flashy stuff like halfway through.
The thing is, there never seems to BE a point where flashy stuff happens. It's like everyone flips their shit and forgets their options or they simply don't have those options.

Like with Korra's first encounter with the Chi-Blockers ...she shot out one bigish fireball followed by fire jabs. She didn't appear to even think about trying to earth bend for protection when things weren't going her way with the fire.

And after that, in this last episode ... I felt she should have been able to put up much more of a fight. Mainly because we're use to seeing earth bending as being a great way to protect yourself and she apparently has mastered it. She also know's that she can't afford to allow them to touch her ... seems to me that she could shut down that chi-blocking with the same trick Aang and Toph did so many times before (cover yourself in earth/ rocks/ crystals). But she just used it like an extension to her kicks before being taken out.

I think the bending is weaker this series for sure. But the hand to hand choreography is pretty impressive. I think it's still a spectacle because of it.
The choreography is still very impressive, yes ... but the creative use of bending always seemed like a source of wonder for the series. It really felt like skill was needed and used. Now it's all ... Jabby. :/

I agree that what we've seen isn't as impressive in terms of sheer scale, but I think you have to give it time. Compare what they were doing even in the middle of Season 1 with where they were by the finale of Season 3.

I'm still willing to give it time. I know that we still haven't had an epic fight yet that lasted more than a few seconds.

i'm still waiting on tenzin to do some ass-kicking. i'm expecting the season-ender to be amon vs. tenzin and korra at the same time.
Yes, I want to see what Tenzin can do. I'm sure it's more impressive than what Aang could muster up at 12 years old.

More so looking forward to Korra using air bending. Would be nice to see it used by someone without the Monk Mindset.

The thing is, there never seems to BE a point where flashy stuff happens. It's like everyone flips their shit and forgets their options or they simply don't have those options.

Like with Korra's first encounter with the Chi-Blockers ...she shot out one bigish fireball followed by fire jabs. She didn't appear to even think about trying to earth bend for protection when things weren't going her way with the fire.

And after that, in this last episode ... I felt she should have been able to put up much more of a fight. Mainly because we're use to seeing earth bending as being a great way to protect yourself and she apparently has mastered it. She also know's that she can't afford to allow them to touch her ... seems to me that she could shut down that chi-blocking with the same trick Aang and Toph did so many times before (cover yourself in earth/ rocks/ crystals). But she just used it like an extension to her kicks before being taken out.

The choreography is still very impressive, yes ... but the creative use of bending always seemed like a source of wonder for the series. It really felt like skill was needed and used. Now it's all ... Jabby. :/

I'm still willing to give it time. I know that we still haven't had an epic fight yet that lasted more than a few seconds.

Yes, I want to see what Tenzin can do. I'm sure it's more impressive than what Aang could muster up at 12 years old.

More so looking forward to Korra using air bending. Would be nice to see it used by someone without the Monk Mindset.

Just got caught up on episode 4, nice ending and <3 Asami. I do see the resemblance to the Bounty Hunter Zuko hired. Watch Korra and Asami become BFFs in an episode or two lol

It probably has a lot to do with experience. Training/sparring with masters that want to teach you is much different than fighting against forces that want you dead. She's been coddled most of her life whereas Aang was fighting in a war. It maybe just differences in personality or it could be due to their circumstances as well. Aang I think was also much more resourceful and thought outside the box, whereas Korra seems like she is pretty single minded, going with the most conventional forms of attack/most straightfoward. Learning pro bending doesn't really help make her a better fighter either, I'd believe it'd actually make her worse. The limiting nature of probending doesn't transfer well to a real fight. Air bending seems like it could be very destructive as well when placed in the right hands, hope to see some nice air bending battles this season, or at least some sparring :p. Wonder if Kitara taught Korra her signature Water Octopus thingy, maybe see korra use some lightning as well? If ordinary firebenders can do it for a living, there is no way the Avatar hasn't mastered it...

CoolS

While I look forward to Tenzin in action very much, I'm not sure how much more impressive it will be than what Aang did. Aang was a true airbending master and he did sonme seriously impressive stuff back in the day.

wildfire

Banned
The real question is, why does the Southern Water Tribe and the Northern Water Tribe each get a representative, when the Earth Kingdom's population and land mass should dwarf them both and they only get one? It seems really bizarre that the Water Tribes get extra representation on the council. Is it because they decided that the 5th spot would be taken by a representative of the current Avatar's national affiliation?

There's nothing to think about. North and South are separate kingdoms. What's left of the Air Nomads is Denmark.

How are the chi-blockers blocking chi? Knuckles hitting pressure points on the body, right? So why doesn't Korra wear plated armor or something over their pressure points? Be hard for a knuckle to get through that, I think.

Bit-Bit

How are the chi-blockers blocking chi? Knuckles hitting pressure points on the body, right? So why doesn't Korra wear plated armor or something over their pressure points? Be hard for a knuckle to get through that, I think.

Korra's not very smart.

Also, I'm hoping that Toph shows up to kick some ass and take some names. And then we hear Korra call her "Sifu Toph".

That's right bitches, Toph trained two Avatars. (I'm guessing)

Lirlond

Its hard to cover joints with armor, and still have it be effective, especially when you're doing flip kicks and shit.

Omikaru

Well, it reduces mobility and unless you're a hard as nails metalbender like Toph -- and I doubt all but the most talented metalbender police could make a suit of armour out of a Fire Navy bulkhead door like she could -- you'll still need openings for joints and the like where chi can be blocked. I suppose it depends on the bender, but I assume many of them choose mobility over protection, and hope to keep chi blockers at a distance when facing them.

The problem is that the Equalists seem to be quite adept at evading fire, earth and waterbending, which is all Korra knows. I reckon once she learns airbending she'll be more than a match of them. Maybe she needs to be the leaf around them a bit more!

shira

I'd say it is as magical as bending. Pressure points don't work that way.

marrec

Banned

I think the scene where they raid the Chi-Blocker school was a taste of the kind of tactics that will be used later. Remember she's only faced them twice (really) and the first time she had no idea what they were or could do. Korra's balancing two fighting styles right now, in one the opponents are forced to attack from range with bending and mobility is quite limited. (Pro Bending) In the other the opponent is trying to close the distance as fast as possible and is quite adept at dodging ranged attacks.

It will be interesting to see if they actually develop Korra's techniques or if she is going to have plot related stupidity when fighting Chi-Blockers.

BigDug13

She's also only fought benders of water, earth, and fire. Most of those fights have both parties on the ground with solid stances to better channel their bending power. Now she's facing super fast non-bender dudes jumping around everywhere. She may get better with air bending training. Aang came from the agility bender type background so he was already amazing at evasion.

Kinda surprised they're not using some of the metal bending police force which seems to also thrive on fast agility.

marrec

Banned
She's also only fought benders of water, earth, and fire. Most of those fights have both parties on the ground with solid stances to better channel their bending power. Now she's facing super fast non-bender dudes jumping around everywhere.

Kinda surprised they're not using some of the metal bending police force which seems to also thrive on fast agility.

I think the Metal Benders would be at quite a disadvantage since the Chi-Blockers thrive on close range combat. The Metal Benders are much better from a distance or against a fleeing opponent.

BigDug13

I think the Metal Benders would be at quite a disadvantage since the Chi-Blockers thrive on close range combat. The Metal Benders are much better from a distance or against a fleeing opponent.

Yet another reason why she will kick ass once she can air bend. You can completely control the distance of your enemies with wind, and you also end up becoming super fast and agile.

Violet_0

Banned
Just watched the episode...
Jesus ... This series is so good. I loved Avatar TLA but man.. this is just as good or better.

I liked TLA, but I've got to hand it to them - for me, Korra is easily the better show so far (and that's quite an achievement). I simply love everything about it.

Korra's not very smart.

Also, I'm hoping that Toph shows up to kick some ass and take some names. And then we hear Korra call her "Sifu Toph".

That's right bitches, Toph trained two Avatars. (I'm guessing)

yea but isn't toph dead? i expect lin to teach korra some metal bending.

According to the Avatar wiki, Sato is from the Dragon Flats area of Republic City. He and Asami are both said to be descended from the original fire nation colonists, and I don't think that Kyoshi Island was ever colonized.

Oh, from the Fire Nation you say?

So basically it can be confirmed that Sato and Asami are Equalist supporters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Asami is Amon?

First she steal's Korra's boyfriend, then she steals Korra's bending.

NEO0MJ

I think the Metal Benders would be at quite a disadvantage since the Chi-Blockers thrive on close range combat.

Maybe, but what damage can they do? I doubt any of Amon's troops can crush stone, let alone metal. Though I suppose metal armored benders can be hurt by the troops with electric batons.

marrec

Banned
Maybe, but what damage can they do? I doubt any of Amon's troops can crush stone, let alone metal. Though I suppose metal armored benders can be hurt by the troops with electric batons.

Yap, all it would take is a tap on their cables and they'd be down pretty quick.

Yeah. Just compare season 1 Katara with Season 2/3 Katara. She went from being far behind Aang and barely doing much more than water whips to being arguably superior to Aang (though maybe Aang just didnt use water as much).

NEO0MJ

Yeah. Just compare season 1 Katara with Season 2/3 Katara. She went from being far behind Aang and barely doing much more than water whips to being arguably superior to Aang (though maybe Aang just didnt use water as much).

Water is pretty inconvenient compared to the other elements, considering you have to be near it to use it and its fight stances are mostly grounded, while Aang is always on the move.

Though I'm sure Katara was a better water bender in the end.

Ravidrath

Caught up on this over the weekend, and am really impressed by it.

Production values, fights, etc. are all great... but what I'm most impressed by is how adult and gray it seems it will be. I would be surprised if there were

While Avatar was pretty dense, it was still fundamentally a pretty straightforward hero story. I don't expect that to be the case here.

Water is pretty inconvenient compared to the other elements, considering you have to be near it to use it and its fight stances are mostly grounded, while Aang is always on the move.

Though I'm sure Katara was a better water bender in the end.

But Katara has managed to be extremely creative with her waterbending. She was using water as an extension of her arm and making use of her environment (like that fight with Mai where she used those wood blocks in combination with her waterbening).

I do agree that Korra's uncreative waterbending in Republic City is probably a result of her personality, being coddled in the training camp, abundance of water in the south pole and the virtue of her being able to use the other more convenient elements (especially fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom