• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bit-Bit

yea but isn't toph dead? i expect lin to teach korra some metal bending.

Not sure if Toph is dead. But it would be really sad to have the youngest member of the group be dead while one of the oldest is still alive.

Also, you bring up another good point. If Korra has mastered Earth Bending, how come she doesn't know how to Metal Bend?

Evlar

Banned
But Katara has managed to be extremely creative with her waterbending. She was using water as an extension of her arm and making use of her environment (like that fight with Mai where she used those wood blocks in combination with her waterbening).

I do agree that Korra's uncreative waterbending in Republic City is probably a result of her personality, being coddled in the training camp, abundance of water in the south pole and the virtue of her being able to use the other more convenient elements (especially fire).

In comparing Aang to Korra in this stage of their training (which is, formally speaking, equivalent to Aang at the start of Season 3 minus all of the Avatar State stuff) this is the chief difference I see: Aang was always an airbender first and foremost. In virtually all of the major battles in TLA Aang defaulted to airbending through the "gaps" in the fight. So, for example, in a big waterbending showpiece Aang would perform some spectacular ice attack, his opponent would respond, and Aang would automatically defend with Air. When confronting a crowd, he would blast them back with Air. When taking put shots from Zuko he would ride his whirlwind around to escape or avoid... and so on. The other elements were usually additions to his basic defensive Air stance.

Korra has never been presented as treating Water in an equivalent way. From the very beginning she has behaved as if she were equally proficient in Water, Earth, and Fire. Thus she is not comparable to Katara, or Aang, or anyone else from the first series, since all of them treat one element as their only (or in the case of Aang, vastly preferred) style. She's a true jack of all trades.

I kind of wish they would address this, honestly; make her Water style the base that everything else builds upon. She should certainly carry a bottle of water with her, Katara-style.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I honestly think she prefers fire above all else, she's always throwing out flame at the drop of a hat, mostly because it's suited to her short temper.

I honestly think she prefers fire above all else, she's always throwing out flame at the drop of a hat, mostly because it's suited to her short temper.

Plus its easier to throw out due to not needing a external source and not wanting the metalbending police force on her ass again.

Yeah, I sort of feel she's more of an earth/fire bender than water.

Aang had the easiest time learning water (after air) because he was closer in personality to waterbenders than anything else and most difficulty with Earth for the same reason. Korra doesn't seem like she flows much like a waterbender, just sort of takes everything head on.

Haly

Plus its easier to throw out due to not needing a external source and not wanting the metalbending police force on her ass again.
This would imply Korra has some kind of foresight.

She's very impulsive!

156511_10150692571751296_603371295_9875936_1748131031_n.jpg

NEO0MJ

Besides the fact that after air, fire is the most agile and convenient element to use.

probably next weekend when the new episode comes out. i think they just recently put up episode 3 i think

Wait...they put up the full episodes online? I was just about to cave and drop coin on Amazon to pick up the episodes online, didn't know that there was a free option. I've not payed for any TV in a long time, so I can totally put up with a little delay if I can see it for free.

I would too, then the second half of Ep 4 happened.

first mistake rule lol

Seriously she should really think things through and i hope Mako and the rest will help her out with that.

probably next weekend when the new episode comes out. i think they just recently put up episode 3 i think

Nope ep 3 went up the same day it aired though much much later.

Wait...they put up the full episodes online? I was just about to cave and drop coin on Amazon to pick up the episodes online, didn't know that there was a free option. I've not payed for any TV in a long time, so I can totally put up with a little delay if I can see it for free.

As long as your in US/CAN you can watch the Nick.com version (IP blocking stuff)

In comparing Aang to Korra in this stage of their training (which is, formally speaking, equivalent to Aang at the start of Season 3 minus all of the Avatar State stuff) this is the chief difference I see: Aang was always an airbender first and foremost. In virtually all of the major battles in TLA Aang defaulted to airbending through the "gaps" in the fight. So, for example, in a big waterbending showpiece Aang would perform some spectacular ice attack, his opponent would respond, and Aang would automatically defend with Air. When confronting a crowd, he would blast them back with Air. When taking put shots from Zuko he would ride his whirlwind around to escape or avoid... and so on. The other elements were usually additions to his basic defensive Air stance.

Korra has never been presented as treating Water in an equivalent way. From the very beginning she has behaved as if she were equally proficient in Water, Earth, and Fire. Thus she is not comparable to Katara, or Aang, or anyone else from the first series, since all of them treat one element as their only (or in the case of Aang, vastly preferred) style. She's a true jack of all trades.

I kind of wish they would address this, honestly; make her Water style the base that everything else builds upon. She should certainly carry a bottle of water with her, Katara-style.
I agree with you, especially the last sentence. I was so excited to learn that we were gonna have a waterbender Avatar since waterbending is my favorite, but she is behaving more like a firebender from what I've seen so far.

Ezalc

I'm excited to see how Korra handles airbending. Aang just used it mostly defensively I want to see how she uses it in an aggressive manner.

I agree with you, especially the last sentence. I was so excited to learn that we were gonna have a waterbender Avatar since waterbending is my favorite, but she is behaving more like a firebender from what I've seen so far.

Her personality fits a firebender more, is why.
She is quick to anger and she enjoys power.
These are traits of firebending. She may be raised as a water bender, but she has the attitude of someone that was a firebender.
So it makes sense that she defaults to firebending when she's in trouble, it's the easiest one for her to summon at any time.

Now, as her training progresses, and she becomes more in tune with her spiritual side, we may see a large shift in focus to more water and air style bending, because she'll be much calmer in a pinch.

Now, as her training progresses, and she becomes more in tune with her spiritual side, we may see a large shift in focus to more water and air style bending, because she'll be much calmer in a pinch.

This would also make her be able to use lightning, correct?
Combo lightning/water bending...

About time nick.com got the episode up.

Good stuff, and I like where this is building.
My big suspicion right now is that
Amon was the one funding Sato's car idea.
DUN DUN DUNNN!

Ravidrath

Mako and Bolin are actual, biological brothers, right?

Just curious, since one is a fire bender and the other is an earth bender. Does this mean their parents were mixed... race?

Can anyone with bending ability learn anything, as long as it's only one? Or are there thousands of "repressed" benders in every nation, whose power can't work with their natural style? i.e. Someone with fire bending potential born into the water nation.

Arment

Not sure if Toph is dead. But it would be really sad to have the youngest member of the group be dead while one of the oldest is still alive.

Also, you bring up another good point. If Korra has mastered Earth Bending, how come she doesn't know how to Metal Bend?

Because mastering earth bending doesn't equate to knowing metal bending. Even Bumi didn't know true metal bending.

Also, Toph is definitely dead.

Ravidrath

My big suspicion right now is that
Amon was the one funding Sato's car idea.
DUN DUN DUNNN!

My thought is that Sato is backing Amon - they clearly have some money funding them. Getting rid of bending could help sell cars, too... which I hope isn't his motivation, because it's as cartoonish as it is realistic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Just curious, since one is a fire bender and the other is an earth bender. Does this mean their parents were mixed... race?

Can anyone with bending ability learn anything, as long as it's only one? Or are there thousands of "repressed" benders in every nation, whose power can't work with their natural style? i.e. Someone with fire bending potential born into the water nation.

Was wondering the same thing. I hope they address it. Which the show were going slower.

Arment

Was wondering the same thing. I hope they address it. Which the show were going slower.

One parent is an earth bender and one parent is a fire bender. It works just like genetics.

The creators said it was part genetic, part spiritual.

I'd imagine that benders don't start as blank slates, and then happen to learn one of the four elements based on cultural teachings. Rather they are genetically locked into one.

Though I'm not sure how well fleshed out the genetics of bending are.

One parent is an earth bender and one parent is a fire bender. It works just like genetics.

The problem is that the first benders could all bend the same element (energy), and differentiated later on by observing animals (or the moon in the case of waterbenders).

If it worked purely like genetics that wouldn't make the least bit of sense.

Pretty much, another example is Tenzin since hes was born from a Waterbender and a Airbender and he got airbending.

As for the second question i guess its only limited to what was placed in by the parents but you can have a situation where the child gets nothing from them or the child got something but not originally from the parents.

Mako is too busy making googly eyes at Asami.

Fucking Asami.

lol oh well

Bit-Bit

Because mastering earth bending doesn't equate to knowing metal bending. Even Bumi didn't know true metal bending.

Also, Toph is definitely dead.

Yeah, but that was before metal bending was discovered. I would think that as the Avatar, Korra would have to know metal bending now that it's known. Plus, what if metal benders go rogue or something?

Veelk

Banned
Pretty much, another example is Tenzin since hes was born from a WaterBender and a Airbender and he got airbending.

His sister is a waterbender and his brother has no bending whatsoever.

I wonder if being the avatar, he could theoretically have produced a firebender or earth bender...?

Haly

Sato works for Amon. Sponsoring Mako and the gang is a coverup move to divert attention.

He sent Asami to seduce Mako away from Korra, because Mako might've actually helped Korra develop her character.

Amon's true power is narrative bending, his genre savvy allows him to warp the plot to his advantage.

Arment

=The problem is that the first benders could all bend the same element (energy), and differentiated later on by observing animals (or the moon in the case of waterbenders).

If it worked purely like genetics that wouldn't make the least bit of sense.

It's as close to genetics as anything. Fire bender and a fire bender have a kid, they're having nothing but fire benders.

Tenzin and a non-bender have kids...all 3 are air benders.

Sure, everyone could bend energy before, but something happened. But through observation it's pretty much just like genetics.

Ultimadrago

Sato works for Amon. Sponsoring Mako and the gang is a coverup move to divert attention.

He sent Asami to seduce Mako away from Korra, because Mako might've actually helped Korra develop her character.

Planned NTR in order to regress Korra's personal growth and therefore affect positive morale for future tribulations?

Genius!

His sister is a waterbender and his brother has no bending whatsoever.

I wonder if being the avatar, he could theoretically have produced a firebender or earth bender...?

i didn't really wanted to include it due to its spoiler nature but there you go.

It's as close to genetics as anything. Fire bender and a fire bender have a kid, they're having nothing but fire benders.

Sure, everyone could bend energy before, but something happened. But through observation it's pretty much just like genetics.

But you have examples where the kids get nothing (Piandao apparently had both parents as firebenders) or everything although the parents gave nothing (Katara).

I wonder if the creators will ever go into more detail on the whole genetics/spritual thing

Haly

Now I'm imagining Maury in Avatarverse.

"I'm an earthbender, the baby is a firebender, I CAN'T be the father!"

Yeah. It does seem to be a genetic, but it works funny.

Bending seems to be rare, and thus a recessive trait. But that cannot be.

Katara had a bender mother, but a nonbender father. The nonbender father must have had at least one bender parent.

Katara was: bb.
Sokka was: Bb or BB.

Everyone in the Air Nomad nation was a bender. Aangs parents were both benders, Aang was a bender.

Aang: bb.

Aang and Katara have kids.... but one of them is not a bender. Uh-oh we have a problem.

Hmm perhaps bending is actually a dominant allele, but rare like dwarfism.

Katara was: BB, or Bb.
Sokka was: bb

Aang's parents were both benders. Everyone in the Air Nomads was a bender. With a lack of nonbenders the air nomads must have been homozygous.

Aang was: BB.

Assuming Katara is Bb we can have the following outcomes for the children:

Bb, BB.... wait. They still had a nonbender child!

Now wait, maybe Aang was heterozygous! However, if the Air Nomads had no nonbenders. If people in the population were heterozygous, you'd still expect at least a few nonbenders in the population.

Though maybe heterozygousness is sufficient, and the Air Nomads just didn't have anyone who was heterozygous. But then bending should probably be a lot more common.

Katara had a bender mother, but a nonbender father. The nonbender father must have had at least one bender parent.

going from the info she wasn't one actually (apperently Katara is the first bender to be born in the tribe for many years according to her grandma)

NEO0MJ

Both her parents were non benders. Her mother just covered for her to keep her safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom