• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykoTech

Honestly, don't really like the probending much.

One of the best things about earthbending was how they fight by shifting the earth around them. Led to a lot of creative fights, especially with Toph. Yet in probending, all earthbenders do is throw those discs around.

Same goes for waterbending. Shifting water to ice and steam made for some cool fights, but apparently that's banned in probending.

I hope we see a lot more of Bolin and the others fighting outside the ring, because probending is pretty limited and boring so far.

Satch

Banned
yeah i liked the idea of probending a lot more when i thought it was going to be like this:

ov3JO.jpg

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I bet
the douchebender beats the shit out of the Fireferrets, sending them all down, followed by Amon and his flunkies invading the arena beating them easily and taking their bending, thus showing how badass they are.

THEN the Fire ferrets fight amon.

I bet
the douchebender beats the shit out of the Fireferrets, sending them all down, followed by Amon and his flunkies invading the arena beating them easily and taking their bending, thus showing how badass they are.

Given that there is a scene of Korra coming from the water with her attack , another of Mako being electrocuted in the water, plus Amon having the time to do the technique; that's a strong possibility (unless somehow Bolin was still up there)

CoolS

I bet

All that except the last part
After Amon takes awy the bending, he just walks away like a BOSS!

I don't like how confronting and 'small' LoK is. It's really easy to confront Aman and he's basically in the same city. In TLA, you had this huge world and you were always on the run from: Zuko, Admiral Zhao and the fire nation in general. Am

Whoa!!

Next episode speculation:
there is a scene where you see Amon, his second in Command and a few of the footsoldiers on the probending stage with Amon having a mic, so yea its really gonna go down.

Wiseblade

I knew Bolin would be my favourite before this show started and he completely is. He really made this episode bearable. without him being consistently hilarious this would have been the most painful half hour ever.

CoolS

I knew Bolin would be my favourite before this show started and he completely is. He really made this episode bearable. without him being consistently hilarious this would have been the most painful half hour ever.

While I get why people didn't like this episode a lot I think there have been worse episodes in TLA. From the top of my head I would name "The Great Divide" and "The Swamp"

But you are right that this was Bolin's episode. Just so good, I love that they gave him more screentime today.

so im watching the episode right now and OMG korra kissed MAKOOOOO

i'll report back after i'm done watching the ep

EDIT: Bolin saw them!!!

Yea his crying was hilarious.

Pabu is still the best of the bunch right now though

Honestly, don't really like the probending much.

One of the best things about earthbending was how they fight by shifting the earth around them. Led to a lot of creative fights, especially with Toph. Yet in probending, all earthbenders do is throw those discs around.

Same goes for waterbending. Shifting water to ice and steam made for some cool fights, but apparently that's banned in probending.

I hope we see a lot more of Bolin and the others fighting outside the ring, because probending is pretty limited and boring so far.

You're not alone. Probending is one of two things about this show that I don't like.

great episode, Bolin's voice actor is great, I loved the scene with him giving pavu a bath and his line about real love and him crying when he saw the kiss, the voice they chose for Tahno. Korra and mako lovey dovey stuff was entertaining as well. I liked the humor too. Episode pretty much delivered on all fronts.

Shouta

Lots of fun and ships colliding in that. They just energized everything and put it into one episode. I laughed so hard seeing Bolin run away.

Was there a next episode preview? I didn't get one here.

Pabu is also awesome, love that little guy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Where's my Bolin crying gif?! Loved the episode and the fact that they're adding fuel to the fire for shippers makes it even more hilarious. Also Bolin is such a boss :lol.

Azzurri

Was flipping through channels and came across the new Avatar. I watched the old ones and liked them, seems this will be just the same.

Lots of fun and ships colliding in that. They just energized everything and put it into one episode. I laughed so hard seeing Bolin run away.

Was there a next episode preview? I didn't get one here.

None here either just some stuff about how everyone loves the series and their views of it so far.

Pabu know's what's up, talkin' about that real love. Though I agree Bolin is what made this episode, that crying scene was amazing.

The guy went from only being relevant due to being Pabu's owner to the crying in my book LOL

Blackhead

Redarse
I liked how this episode slowed down the pace of the main plot and gave us some character development, but man, it's amazing how little I care about the bullshit romance angle. Granted, it was handled better than it is in most kid shows, but it still sucks. Neither Mako or Asami are interesting characters (hopefully that changes later), and the only redeeming aspect of the whole love triangle was Bolin being hilarious when his heart was broken.

If they have to have this shipping stuff in here, I'd still rather them have a whole episode focusing on it so they can town it down in later episodes. Hopefully that is what happens.

And not to keep nitpicking, but the pro-bending matches are too predictable. I was rolling my eyes at the cliched come from behind victory with Korra knocking everybody out at the last second. There is no way they should have won that match, and it would have made the weight of the romantic stress feel a lot more poignant had they lost the tournament because of it

All that being said this is still an amazing show, and I'm still blown away by how well most things are being handled so far. Just bring back the badassery in the next episode please!

agreed except

it's amazing how little I care about the bullshit romance angle. Granted, it was handled better than it is in most kid shows, but it still sucks
hmm... what's the consensus on that? (I don't watch many children's shows and some highly rated ones, like that Pony show, avoid the topic altogether)

Sadsic

hmm... what's the consensus on that? (I don't watch many children's shows and some highly rated ones, like that Pony show, avoid the topic altogether)

i dont think ive actually seen another animated western kids show really lay out the shipping so clearly like this before, it was quite spectacular

GCX

I don't think I even knew what the term shipping meant like six weeks ago and now it's all I hear about.

Blackhead

Redarse
i dont think ive actually seen another animated western kids show really lay out the shipping so clearly like this before, it was quite spectacular
I don't know, it seems fairly standard fare. Everything in LoK is so fast-paced though... in other stories you'd expect episode cliffhangers for the confession, kiss, almost losing the match etc And akami didn't even play a part at all.

Betting 20 dollars it is Lin.
yeah that seems a real good guess. I except a flashback with Lin in a dress :p

Omikaru

Yup, pretty much how I felt at the end.

Though after dwelling on it, I'm kind of glad they've had the big shipping collision early. Hopefully it's just a thing that happened and for the rest of the series they just make jokes about it and let that side of the story happen more naturally, rather than the Twilight or soap opera-styled nonsense we got today. On reflection, I don't mind romance subplots (it was fine in ATLA), but I'm worried that a certain rather large and vocal group of fans just want yet another Twilight thing going on. That bothers me.

However, the thing that bothers me the most is that I'm legitimately worried that this romance plot could take a shit on LoK's thusfar great storytelling. For me, after this episode there's a lingering anxiety that this love triangle isn't going to just be a thing that exists alongside the main plot (as the romances were in ATLA), but something that is intertwined into the happenings of the main story. After all, if the Makorra shippers have their way, Asami is going to be an evil Equalist bitch who betrays Mako, allowing him and Korra to hook up. And, well, quite frankly that's the biggest TV trope going. Maybe I'm just being irrational, and the writers felt taking on the love triangle head on (and relatively early into the season) was the best way to address it.

And lastly, I'm just a bit peeved that I have to wait a week for something to actually happen.

But to be positive about this, the big saving grace of this episode was that Bolin finally got some good airtime! Finally! He may be a comic relief character, but he's not in the same way Sokka was. I think out of all the characters in LoK, he's my favourite one right now. And if I were a shipper, I now know what my ship would be.
Incestuous Makolin 4eva!!
:3

CoolS

Yup, pretty much how I felt at the end.

Though after dwelling on it, I'm kind of glad they've had the big shipping collision early. Hopefully it's just a thing that happened and for the rest of the series they just make jokes about it and let that side of the story happen more naturally, rather than the Twilight or soap opera-styled nonsense we got today. On reflection, I don't mind romance subplots (it was fine in ATLA), but I'm worried that a certain rather large and vocal group of fans just want yet another Twilight thing going on. That bothers me.

However, the thing that bothers me the most is that I'm legitimately worried that this romance plot could take a shit on LoK's thusfar great storytelling. For me, after this episode there's a lingering anxiety that this love triangle isn't going to just be a thing that exists alongside the main plot (as the romances were in ATLA), but something that is intertwined into the happenings of the main story. After all, if the Makorra shippers have their way, Asami is going to be an evil Equalist bitch who betrays Mako, allowing him and Korra to hook up. And, well, quite frankly that's the biggest TV trope going. Maybe I'm just being irrational, and the writers felt taking on the love triangle head on (and relatively early into the season) was the best way to address it.

And lastly, I'm just a bit peeved that I have to wait a week for something to actually happen.

But to be positive about this, the big saving grace of this episode was that Bolin finally got some good airtime! Finally! He may be a comic relief character, but he's not in the same way Sokka was. I think out of all the characters in LoK, he's my favourite one right now. And if I were a shipper, I now know what my ship would be.
Incestuous Makolin 4eva!!
:3

That is my (hopeful) guess. They have so much experience with their fandom from TLA and know pretty much what will go on with all the shippers with every character they introduce. So addressing the obvious very early and dedicade a episode to it, so they have closure for the time being seems like a good plan.

Of course that's just speculation for now, but I believe there is a high chance it will happen that way. And considering our speculation for the next episode, there won't be much time for relationship stuff anyway.

WillyFive

Officially sanctioned shipping.

And an entire episode devoted to shipping.

Honestly, although I expected the cliche "love triangle with interfere with their match", this episode pulled off very well to avoid the tropes, like not cutting away from Bolin seeing the kiss and actually showing us his reaction.

Of course that's just speculation for now, but I believe there is a high chance it will happen that way. And considering our speculation for the next episode, there won't be much time for relationship stuff anyway.

Indeed.

Officially sanctioned shipping.

And an entire episode devoted to shipping.

Honestly, although I expected the cliche "love triangle with interfere with their match", this episode pulled off very well to avoid the tropes, like not cutting away from Bolin seeing the kiss and actually showing us his reaction.

Yea least he didn't act like some passive aggressive twat after he saw it but instead made his feelings clear to all involved.

Tuck

Bolin is awesome. So well written and acted. His reactions and mannerisms are perfect.

Wow so much shipping in this episode. Poor Bolin.

CoolS

Bolin is awesome. So well written and acted. His reactions and mannerisms are perfect.

He really is amazing. On that note, I love how the characters might resemble some characters from TLA but that in the end they are very different and unique. Some people might argue that Mako is Zuko-light but I think he differentiated himself a lot these past two or three episodes.

Wiseblade

Last week most of you wouldn't give my man Bolin the time of day. And now you'll all clamouring to talk about how great he is.

I LIKED HIM FIRST!

/hipster

Last week most of you wouldn't give my man Bolin the time of day. And now you'll all clamouring to talk about how great he is.

I LIKED HIM FIRST!

/hipster

Nah.

as i said before Pabu is still holding it down out of those 3 but his reaction made his spot somewhat safer (though he's just the third wheel right now :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom