• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nDabD.jpg

shira

mako is zuko with less characterization, his zuko without the sarcasm,anger and honor issue jokes and without a great character like Iroha to play off of.

His "what if" zuko had a different life and never got agni kai-ed.

There's really isn't much that separates him so far, even if he does go batman Zuko already did that with the Blue spirt.
Huh?

Didn't like this episode. The relationships ended up going in a big circle, the most obvious case of pandering I've seen in the franchise since the Zutara stuff in Book 3: Fire. However, the next episode will probably deliver.

My prediction based off of trailers and commercials:

Amon attacks the finals match from the ceiling and maybe even takes away the nameless douche's bending. Korra shoots fire up at him to no avail, gets bailed out by Lin, who is still the best character in the show.

DominoKid

good lawd that episode was painful to watch.
complete overload on probending and shipping.

bolin was the only redeeming thing about it.
i get why korra goes for mako (tropes and whatnot) but theyre awwwful together.

Satch

Banned
Didn't like this episode. The relationships ended up going in a big circle, the most obvious case of pandering I've seen in the franchise since the Zutara stuff in Book 3: Fire. However, the next episode will probably deliver.

My prediction based off of trailers and commercials:

Amon attacks the finals match from the ceiling and maybe even takes away the nameless douche's bending. Korra shoots fire up at him to no avail, gets bailed out by Lin, who is still the best character in the show.

"Nameless douche" = Tahno

:lol

Veelk

Banned
Awful together? You sound like a shipper. :O

I really feel that the whole Mako liking Korra thing is very forced. Korra liked him from the onset because of his looks and because he's really good at firebending (something someone like her would really appreciate). However, Mako was uninterested in Korra from the beginning, then grew more respect for her when she helped him take care of his brother. I just don't see where he began to feel attracted to her romantically. Especially given how he reacts to Asami. It's just came out of the blue this episode.

Cwarrior

Honestly, don't really like the probending much.

One of the best things about earthbending was how they fight by shifting the earth around them. Led to a lot of creative fights, especially with Toph. Yet in probending, all earthbenders do is throw those discs around.

Same goes for waterbending. Shifting water to ice and steam made for some cool fights, but apparently that's banned in probending.

I hope we see a lot more of Bolin and the others fighting outside the ring, because probending is pretty limited and boring so far.

At first I was excited for this probending for my fix of cool bending action but turned out meh it lacks any of the creative seen in the out in the open last airbender fights and the last match with korra was load of rubbish they should of lost that match.

I hope amon wrecks this shitty tournament and saves us from it,the tourny in the last airbender was a lot better and had interesting characters/opponents like the boulder.

tumblr_lfyujot0ka1qct3k2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6c1hyFGY3Y

I really feel that the whole Mako liking Korra thing is very forced. Korra liked him from the onset because of his looks and because he's really good at firebending (something someone like her would really appreciate). However, Mako was uninterested in Korra from the beginning, then grew more respect for her when she helped him take care of his brother. I just don't see where he began to feel attracted to her romantically. Especially given how he reacts to Asami. It's just came out of the blue this episode.

Because she is the Avatar, basically.

Honestly, don't really like the probending much.

One of the best things about earthbending was how they fight by shifting the earth around them. Led to a lot of creative fights, especially with Toph. Yet in probending, all earthbenders do is throw those discs around.

Same goes for waterbending. Shifting water to ice and steam made for some cool fights, but apparently that's banned in probending.

I hope we see a lot more of Bolin and the others fighting outside the ring, because probending is pretty limited and boring so far.

Agreed. We just have to hope, considering season is only 12 episodes that conflict escalates and as a result we see more open fights.

At first I was excited for this probending for my fix of cool bending action but turned out meh it lacks any of the creative seen in the out in the open last airbender fights and the last match with korra was load of rubbish they should of lost that match.

I hope amon wrecks this shitty tournament and saves us from it,the tourny in the last airbender was a lot better and had interesting characters/opponents like the boulder.

tumblr_lfyujot0ka1qct3k2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6c1hyFGY3Y

I am assuming since the final is next episode, that is the last we will see of pro bending this season. And Boulder was awesome!

mako is zuko with less characterization, his zuko without the sarcasm,anger and honor issue jokes and without a great character like Iroha to play off of.

His "what if" zuko had a different life and never got agni kai-ed.

There's really isn't much that separates him so far, even if he does go batman Zuko already did that with the Blue spirt.

You do realize we are only 5 episodes in right? Jesus christ.

DominoKid

Awful together? You sound like a shipper. :O

cant help it. the ships seem a lot more up front in this series so i think it's very important that the ships work for the quality of the show.

this is pretty much where i'm at with it. i just don't see the same level of chemistry in Mako/Korra as i do in Bolin/Korra and Mako/Asami.

It was long rumored that Tylee, (Mostly due to her eye color) had Air Nomad blood in her despite being an non-bender.

Pema, Tenzin's wife, seems to be dropping nothing but Air bender babies despite being a non-bender.

Maybe Pema is related to Tylee?

A0eNI.png

Maybe Tylee is Tenzin's mother-in-law or Grand mother-in-law?

Edit: it could also go a long way in explaining why Jinora looks so much like Tylee and Ikki acts like her.

W_Dreamer

You dont need to make moves or blush when you meet someone you're attracted to. In RL people have attractions to people they meet everyday without showing any (obvious) outward sign their heart flutters.

Out of the the three Mako is supposed to be the most composed so unless he gets blindsided (literally) by a beauty I can see him keeping his feelings in check as long as they arent directly confronted.

Seriously, am I the only one who enjoyed the episode? I guess not paying attention to all this weird shipping Crap, allowed me to not go in so cynical about it.

I liked the episode, and the awkward situations were delivered very well.

Omikaru

Seriously, am I the only one who enjoyed the episode? I guess not paying attention to all this weird shipping Crap, allowed me to not go in so cynical about it.

I was disappointed, if understanding. But I did like it, just nowhere near as much as the four before it. Although it did take me a while to warm to it. Once you accept it for what it is, and go along with the shipping for a bit, you realise it's still got the same great acting, production values, some okay fight scenes and some of the funniest moments in the show so far. I mean, it was genuinely ATLA funny, which it hadn't necessarily peaked at beforehand.

Easily the weakest episode of the season thusfar, but that's not to say it's bad. The biggest frustration is that it concentrated on this subplot, and now we have to wait another week for the main plotline to continue. However, once the 12 episodes have run their course, I think we'll be able to look back on this episode with a bit of perspective, and a bit of good humour, and appreciate that it fits in with the rest of the series.

epmode

I liked it a lot too. Some crazy shit has been going down in this thread over the last few weeks so I kind of avoid it now.

suzu

The relationship stuff in the show doesn't bother me (especially when all three of them have amusing reactions to all that shit). The pro-bending is getting a little boring, but I really liked the tiebreaker fight.

Scapegoat

I loved the episode! It was great seeing both Bolin and Korra put themselves out there instead of mulling around for entire seasons (what most of us would do in real life). How heavy Korra came on to Mako in the changing rooms was halariously awkward, and I felt soo bad for Bolin the entire time.

Pro-bending was great as always, though I do understand the sentiment from others concerning the lack of the "traditional" bending. Once Korra starts communing with Aang and we see his adventures in Republic City I think that will change :). I also can't wait to see Sokka as an adult. And Ty Lee (surely she got even hotter).

Omikaru

Regarding the true shipping names, I don't know how big the budget for each LoK episode is (I think I read about $1m per episode, right?), but the fact that they spent all a whole episode's budget just to troll their fanbase is pretty amazing.

Even if it was handled poorly, the internet reactions to shipping would've made up for it completely.

Scapegoat

Regarding the true shipping names, I don't know how big the budget for each LoK episode is (I think I read about $1m per episode, right?), but the fact that they spent all a whole episode's budget just to troll their fanbase is pretty amazing.
Man I hope at some point they do another version of the Ember Island Players where they see a play about Team Avatar ending the hundred year war and it's even more misinformed after 70 years.

They could use the pronunciations from the live action movie lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wouldn't have minded the relationship crap being developed, but throwing it all into a episode like this so quickly, with the mostly boring probending didn't go over too well. Far fewer episodes per book than TLA, so there's less time for filler and / or poorly done episodes.

Omikaru

I loved the pro bending centric episode. Maybe we'll get to see more traditional bending once the series is moved outside of the city?

Season 2, then, if that. I think it's already been confirmed that at least season 1 takes place in Republic City. Whether that carries on to Book 2 I don't know.

Man I hope at some point they do another version of the Ember Island Players where they see a play about Team Avatar ending the hundred year war and it's even more misinformed after 70 years.

They could use the pronunciations from the live action movie lol
I've never watched the live action movie, so I really don't know much of the criticisms other than it's universally shit, the Fire Nation are all Indian (just so M. Night could get his cameo, I bet), and despite being Water Tribe, Katara and Sokka are not the same race as the rest of their people.

Anywhere I can hear the shitty pronunciations?

Scapegoat

Season 2, then, if that. I think it's already been confirmed that at least season 1 takes place in Republic City. Whether that carries on to Book 2 I don't know.

I've never watched the live action movie, so I really don't know much of the criticisms other than it's universally shit, the Fire Nation are all Indian (just so M. Night could get his cameo, I bet), and despite being Water Tribe, Katara and Sokka are not the same race as the rest of their people.

Anywhere I can hear the shitty pronunciations?
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. Pretty much M Night uses traditional pronounciations for the names, so "Aang" becomes "Ah-ng", "Sock-ah" becomes "So-kah", "Eye-roh" becomes "Ee-roh". Really bad stuff, especially when your target audience is primarily kids, who would find these sorts of changes the most aggravating.

Visually, I thought the movie looked great. Take a screen cap at any point and show it to a fan and I bet 9/10 they'd be psyched. It just fell down in every other aspect. Story, pacing, acting, action. It baffles my mind the downgrade in quality of the action, particularly the bending. They have this incredible source material that they could have just copied directly doing a scene for scene recreation, and he decides to go for complete crap.

Tabris

I've never watched any of the Avatar shows or movies, including the apparently god awful live action one. I know nothing at all about it.

I'm interested in watching the cartoon as it seems to be getting high praise. My cartoon tolerance at this point is Batman TAS (the older one before all the anime inspired one's after it). Anything lower on the target age audience and I would probably cringe. My anime tolerance is pretty low right now. I can't stand the "moe" & "kawaii" aspect of most anime any more. Even my favorite anime of all time which my username is partly based on is hardly tolerable to me in the beginning anymore (but it becomes so awesome once it starts discarding that later on).

Will I be able to watch Avatar or is it too kid focused or too "moe"/"kawaii" for me to handle?

*EDIT - I can also handle cartoon shows like Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales but that's due to amazing nostalgia as those shows were so awesome in my childhood.

Scapegoat

I've never watched any of the Avatar shows or movies, including the apparently god awful live action one. I know nothing at all about it.

I'm interested in watching the cartoon as it seems to be getting high praise. My cartoon tolerance at this point is Batman TAS (the older one before all the anime inspired one's after it). Anything lower on the target age audience and I would probably cringe. My anime tolerance is pretty low right now. I can't stand the "moe" & "kawaii" aspect of most anime any more. Even my favorite anime of all time which my username is partly based on is hardly tolerable to me in the beginning anymore (but it becomes so awesome once it starts discarding that later on).

Will I be able to watch Avatar or is it too kid focused or too "moe"/"kawaii" for me to handle?

*EDIT - I can also handle cartoon shows like Tail Spin, Darkwing Duck and Duck Tales but that's due to amazing nostalgia as those shows were so awesome in my childhood.
Give it a go, I would highly recommend it (coming from someone who also loves Batman TAS). It's got it all, heart, comedy, great action.

AniHawk

avatar: the last airbender is the batman: animated series of the 2000s in terms of writing/music/mark hamill.

but korra is a lot better. that's not a knock against the last airbender. it just speaks to the quality of the legend of korra.

the first season is the most kid-friendly of all of them. i think the show really gets going with the 10th episode. jet, the storm, and the blue spirit are pretty good watches (i would skip the great divide, it's 11th episode).

Scapegoat

You caught the mention in The Spirit of Competition right? Cuz that was f'in hilarious.
... what?! No! Well, now I have an excuse to go rewatch it!

I think we will see more "traditional" bending once Korra learns/experiences Aang's adventures in Republic City (as foreshadowed in her vision). Surely that will be during this season.

Caught The Drill on Nicktoons this afternoon. Yeah, there's no way this show will ever come close.
Dude, give it some time! The first season of Last Airbender was a slow burn to begin with too. "Look, it's the great divide, the biggest canyon in the Earth Kingdom!" "Ugh, let's keep flying." That said, it's going to be hard to top "Don't you know who we are? We're Chan and Ran Jon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom