• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

You do realize we are only 5 episodes in right? Jesus christ.

Yes I realize to be fair it's only been 5 episode, at that point in the original zuko was just "gotta catch that avatar" but that excuse doesn't slide anymore it's no longer valid has about expired.

1.legend of korra shorter then the 20episode season 1 of the last airbender so I expect things to have a quicker pace and be tighter cause of the shorter run time.
2.legend of korra so far has been like 90% character focus then plot so theirs no excuses.

main one unlike zuko, mako is the 2nd main character receiving by far the most screen time,only second to the main character and has been the main focus of the last 3 episode even more then korra(last episode meets asami and gets sponsership for games,his brother got kidnapped which lead to him to spend some time with korra and talking a little about his past and now it's him being unsure of the girl to pick).

mako just needs to bring something to the table other then Trojan horse teen love triangle drama, he comes off as zuko lite and at the moment he feels like his there to please the crazy zuko x katara fans that are still angry from the last show (the Last airbender).

I don't even mind that much that his zuko lite at this point I want the teen drama over, his like one big device for it, plus his quite out of place since he lacks any humor, which even the most serious characters present(tenzin,lin).

marrec

Banned
Great follow-up to the super serious last episode. Man I love this show. Tell me there is a GIF of Bolin crying and running away, cause that's gunna get some play.

Scapegoat

ain character receiving by far the most screen time,only second to the main character and has been the main focus of the last 3 episode even more then korra(last episode meets asami and gets sponsership for games,his brother got kidnapped which lead to him to spend some time with korra and talking a little about his past and now it's him being unsure of the girl to pick).

mako just needs to bring something to the table other then Trojan horse teen love triangle drama, he comes off as zuko lite and at the moment he feels like his there to please the crazy zuko x katara fans that are still angry from last show.

I don't even care if his zuko lite at this point I want the teen drama over, his like one big device for it, plus his quite out of place since he lacks any humor.
I feel like Mako is a combination of Zuko and Katara.

Similar to Katara he loves his brother and has been taking care of him pretty much his whole life. Both he and Bolin lost their parents, but he wears it more on his sleeve(neck)/its effect is more apparent on him.

Satch

Banned
Great follow-up to the super serious last episode. Man I love this show. Tell me there is a GIF of Bolin crying and running away, cause that's gunna get some play.

tumblr_m3kicu1ss91r7z1ii.gif

marrec

Banned
kolin was the greatest romance of avatar history :((((((

It was amazing.

Oh and to those of you hating, this Episode was pretty much a big laugh at the entire idea of shippers. As a shipper from long back (Spuffy4LYF!) I got a lot of enjoyment at how they handled the relationship dynamics. And once this finals are over, the whole Pro-Bending thing will be done.

You shoulda seen me though, the popcorn I was eating was hovering in front of my mouth while Bolin was going against that guy 1 vs 1. I'm such a geek for this show.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kolin was the greatest romance of avatar history :((((((

I still think it will happen. You have to go through the classic love triangle first. This episode hit kinda close to home for me. I always had popular, good looking best friends growing up, and I was a buck-toothed, short, pimply kid. My friend would always end up dating girls I was interested in. I never blamed them. I never told them. But yeah, I felt for Bolin. I know that feel.

somebody that places massive importance on relationships in movies, cartoons, comics, live action shows, etc

So, people who are into romance story lines?

1.legend of korra shorter then the 20episode season 1 of the last airbender so I expect things to have a quicker pace and be tighter cause of the shorter run time.
One thing to clarify. When avatar was in its first season, only 13 episodes had been approved in the beginning. And yet they still chose the pacing they did. Korra's pacing is leagues improved. Further, the tone of the show in general is much improved.

Korea so far is better than avatar was to this point.

Whether that will still be the case around episode 13 (when the blue spirit plot came around) is yet to be seen.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
yeah. I already think Korra is way better than Avatar. Episode 4 was genius, and episode 5 was a fantastic character-driven interlude.

thetrin

more like people who are obsessed with them to the point of near madness

So they made an episode with an engaging romantic plot to make fun of them? I don't get it.

I dont like this better than TLA talk or better pacing talk at all. Nearly every episode was world building and had some relevance to the plot, they were trying to make us care about a world that Aang had to save.

1 and 2 established the plot and main cast of book 1 also introducing tonnes of concepts.

3 showed us what happened when Aang left and showed the ruthlessness of the Fire Nation.

4 introduced us to Kiyoshi, Kiyoshi island, showed us that not everyone wanted to be involved in thr war, gave us new allies, gave Sokka some character development.

5 introduced Bumi, nuff said.

The shows are very different and the way theyre dealing out the pacing has their own merits.

So they made an episode with an engaging romantic plot to make fun of them? I don't get it.

Dude...it provides literally ENDLESS amounts of entertainment. Now, granted, I'm a masochist who hunts for shipping wars and watch from the sidelines, but even still. It's probably one of the most genuinely entertaining/sad things to watch unfold on the Internet.

Cheska

Another amazing episode of the show! I've started watching Avatar because of Korra and although I think that show is good, I just don't seem as interested in it as I am with LoK. I wish the episodes were longer because I seriously can't get enough.

I dont like this better than TLA talk or better pacing talk at all. Nearly every episode was world building and had some relevance to the plot, they were trying to make us care about a world that Aang had to save.

1 and 2 established the plot and main cast of book 1 also introducing tonnes of concepts.

3 showed us what happened when Aang left and showed the ruthlessness of the Fire Nation.

4 introduced us to Kiyoshi, Kiyoshi island, showed us that not everyone wanted to be involved in thr war, gave us new allies, gave Sokka some character development.

The shows are very different and the way theyre dealing out the pacing has their own merits.
You're probably right.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just watched the Korra episode. Bolin is amazing, and that crying part had me in stitches. Beyond that, definitely the weakest episode in general for me. And Mako is on my shitlist for how he he acted here.

Another amazing episode of the show! I've started watching Avatar because of Korra and although I think that show is good, I just don't seem as interested in it as I am with LoK. I wish the episodes were longer because I seriously can't get enough.

Dunno how far you are in TLA, but I remember watching it when it first started and losing interest, then I caught reruns of later episodes and found it great, so I went back and rewatched from the start. The entire first book is the least interesting to me.

thetrin

Given how some of them act you could see why its done (it can be similar to the stuff in console wars).

you can read this for some more.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Shipping

I'll take your word for it. I think I've had enough of internet weirdos for now. :)

Dude...it provides literally ENDLESS amounts of entertainment. Now, granted, I'm a masochist who hunts for shipping wars and watch from the sidelines, but even still. It's probably one of the most genuinely entertaining/sad things to watch unfold on the Internet.

I'm sure they're weird and pathetic, but I guess I don't see how anyone could construe that last episode as a direct poke at a sad group of people.

I thought it was a great, engaging episode that established how immature the three characters are (a great launching point for decent character development).

Did I miss some reference to shippers that everyone else picked up on?

Just watched the Korra episode. Bolin is amazing, and that crying part had me in stitches. Beyond that, definitely the weakest episode in general for me. And Mako is on my shitlist for how he he acted here.

I had a big sad face that whole scene. I kept shouting "oh no! Bolin don't cry! You poor guy!" I saw it coming from a mile away, but it still played out so well.

And yeah, I'm finding Mako less and less likable. Not because Korra kissed him. He's just an insufferable jerk all the time, and all this talk of "Bolin is all I have" really doesn't matter, because he doesn't act like he's got Bolin's best interests at heart until it's too late.

I'm hoping Mako redeems himself soon, because I don't think I could stand a whole season of Bolin being the good guy that's constantly getting shit on.

I hope probending ends in this next episode seeing as it's the end of the tournament ... that shit's boring. I had to lol when they gave Korra a yellow card for showing something that was actually creative.

Papercuts

I had a big sad face that whole scene. I kept shouting "oh no! Bolin don't cry! You poor guy!" I saw it coming from a mile away, but it still played out so well.

And yeah, I'm finding Mako less and less likable. Not because Korra kissed him. He's just an insufferable jerk all the time, and all this talk of "Bolin is all I have" really doesn't matter, because he doesn't act like he's got Bolin's best interests at heart until it's too late.

I'm hoping Mako redeems himself soon, because I don't think I could stand a whole season of Bolin being the good guy that's constantly getting shit on.

Pretty much how I feel. Mako used Bolin's feelings as a bullet point against Korra in the episode, but he really doesn't seem to give a shit. Asami also seems to have no idea any of this was happening, which is a real dick move and is a trait I can't stand in people. He's going to have to do a lot to redeem that in my eyes.

Wow, this show has been terrible so far compared to The Last Airbender.

Korra's personality is not appealing at ALL; she bitches about crap all the time and is incredibly boring. This cutesy relationship crap takes up so much time of the episodes. I understand that these episodes have been building up for the plot but isn't the show like 20 episodes or so?

I hope things pick up soon because there isn't much happening in these episodes.

Pretty much how I feel. Mako used Bolin's feelings as a bullet point against Korra in the episode, but he really doesn't seem to give a shit. Asami also seems to have no idea any of this was happening, which is a real dick move and is a trait I can't stand in people. He's going to have to do a lot to redeem that in my eyes.

I haven't stepped into this mess before cause I don't really care about shipping (seems pretty clear to me what's gonna happen relationship-wise) but really ... I can't see a single thing Mako or Korra did wrong this episode.
Mako feels conflicted seeing as he has feelings for both girls. He's also not stupid and knows that Korra feels the same about him ... so he tries to get Bolin to stop before he gets hurt.

Korra, after being rejected, felt ok with going out on a date with Bolin who was charming her up pretty good with complements which made her feel better. It was a simple date, not some symbol that they're now in a relationship.

I don't see how either did anything wrong. Just seems like a ton of projection and such going on personally.

I haven't stepped into this mess before cause I don't really care about shipping (seems pretty clear to me what's gonna happen relationship-wise) but really ... I can't see a single thing Mako or Korra did wrong this episode.
Mako feels conflicted seeing as he has feelings for both girls. He's also not stupid and knows that Korra feels the same about him ... so he tries to get Bolin to stop before he gets hurt.

Korra, after being rejected, felt ok with going out on a date with Bolin who was charming her up pretty good with complements which made her feel better. It was a simple date, not some symbol that they're now in a relationship.

I don't see how either did anything wrong. Just seems like a ton of projection and such going on personally.

Yup nothing wrong with his kissing Korra, then going back to Asami and acting like nothing had happened...

Yup nothing wrong with his kissing Korra, then going back to Asami and acting like nothing had happened...

1. He didn't kiss Korra, she kissed him out of left-field and he kissed back after the shock passed because, as he said, he does have feelings for her.

2. From the looks of it to me Mako and Asami arnt "official" yet and are just dating (this is coming from the talk he had with Bolin, stating that he doesn't know which to choose ... seems he hasn't chosen one yet to me) so he would have no reason to feel guilty.

3. They had all agreed to put that behind them in favor of doing their current job so all that dramas cleared up for now so there's no reason to start more by telling her about a kiss.

Papercuts

1. He didn't kiss Korra, she kissed him out of left-field and he kissed back after the shock passed because, as he said, he does have feelings for her.

2. From the looks of it to me Mako and Asami arnt "official" yet and are just dating (this is coming from the talk he had with Bolin, stating that he doesn't know which to choose ... seems he hasn't chosen one yet to me) so he would have no reason to feel guilty.

3. They had all agreed to put that behind them in favor of doing their current job so all that dramas cleared up for now so there's no reason to start more by telling her about a kiss.

He's interested in both of them, but Asami clearly seems out of the loop. It's not even about the kiss really, Asami likes him and they publicly act like they're a couple already even if it isn't 'official'. Being jealous at Bolin asking out Korra while in the same room as him, yet continuing to lead Asami on regardless, shows a really shitty character trait.

Even if he puts it behind him, it still happened and he should still atleast LET HER KNOW.

CoolS

I hope probending ends in this next episode seeing as it's the end of the tournament ... that shit's boring. I had to lol when they gave Korra a yellow card for showing something that was actually creative.
She got the yellow fan for attacking the referee.

Korra's personality is not appealing at ALL; she bitches about crap all the time and is incredibly boring. This cutesy relationship crap takes up so much time of the episodes. I understand that these episodes have been building up for the plot but isn't the show like 20 episodes or so?

I hope things pick up soon because there isn't much happening in these episodes.

While I won't deny you your opinion about Korra (even though I think otherwise), but if you are seriously suggesting that nothing happened in these 5 episodes, then you are wrong.

I was disappointed, if understanding. But I did like it, just nowhere near as much as the four before it. Although it did take me a while to warm to it. Once you accept it for what it is, and go along with the shipping for a bit, you realise it's still got the same great acting, production values, some okay fight scenes and some of the funniest moments in the show so far. I mean, it was genuinely ATLA funny, which it hadn't necessarily peaked at beforehand.

Easily the weakest episode of the season thusfar, but that's not to say it's bad. The biggest frustration is that it concentrated on this subplot, and now we have to wait another week for the main plotline to continue. However, once the 12 episodes have run their course, I think we'll be able to look back on this episode with a bit of perspective, and a bit of good humour, and appreciate that it fits in with the rest of the series.

But that isn't a flaw of the episode, but rather you setting yourself up for dissapointment. Every series goes on tangents to explore different aspects of the world they're trying to convey, and as such this episode delivered in spades. People also liked to hate on the theater play in Last Airbender, but honestly, it was a great episode with some great jokes and made Aang realize that not just the firelord wanted him dead. That not everyone wanted the avatar to be victorious.

Korra also needed this episode, especially because she's so inexperienced in practically everything except bending. She's a hermit, who was surrounded by old people most of her youth. So her first steps towards socializing and love with people of her own age is more than needed. She's a young woman for crying out loud, not a T-800.
Personally I do enjoy episodes that move the plot forward more as well, but I like episodes like this just as much, because they put the characters into a believable environment, to make their struggle and cause all the more important.
Why even care about the friendship between Mako, Korra and Bolin if all they ever did was swing from plotpoint to plotpoint.

TLA wouldn't have been the show it was, if it weren't for all the side episodes. Tales of Ba Sing Se, and Iroh's Story alone didn't move the plot forward, but holy shit did it elevate the quality of characters like Iroh and even Momo forward.

You can't make a series consisting of main plot only, as it would feel detached and hollow.
I can see how people annoyed by shipping would hate this episode, but again, that's not down to the episodes quality but down to personal expectations and bias.

Opposite for me and my wife. HATED Aang's personality at first. LOVE Korra's personality.

Different opinions.

Jintor

Finally sat down and watched, just reinforces my impression, would watch an entire goddamn series on Pro-bending (though it's still not quite as cool as freestyle actual bending fights).

Seriously, this episode was the perfect palette cleanser after the headlong pacing of the last couple of episodes. Characters need time to breath and this tournie setup plus romance-bustin' was perfect for it.

CoolS

Finally sat down and watched, just reinforces my impression, would watch an entire goddamn series on Pro-bending (though it's still not quite as cool as freestyle actual bending fights).

Seriously, this episode was the perfect palette cleanser after the headlong pacing of the last couple of episodes. Characters need time to breath and this tournie setup plus romance-bustin' was perfect for it.
Finally, this thread made me feel like i'm the only one who loves pro-bending. And I also agree that it was good that the plot took a Bit of a backseat. You need a connection to the characters which can't happen if you only have episodes like the last few

finally saw the episode. awesome. I'm all in for team Kolin. Korra looks like she's having much more fun time with Bolin anyway, ever since episode 1.

Jintor

Finally, this thread made me feel like i'm the only one who loves pro-bending. And I also agree that it was good that the plot took a Bit of a backseat. You need a connection to the characters which can't happen if you only have episodes like the last few

I like Pro-bending in the same way I liked the Karate in Karate Kid - as a sport. I really want to see some fucking raw-ass fight scenes.

Does anybody remember Iroh running into some soccerbending kids in Tales of Ba Sing Se? Now there's a sport I want to see! Get the pay-per-hear rights, United Nations Radio!

Bolin's hands as he is running away is the greatest

I know how Bolin feels ;-;/ I knew a girl in my freshmen year of HS who I had a major crush on. She liked video games, she was attractive and tomboyish, and all around fun person to be around. She considered me a friend and lusted after this tall quiet dude. The guy was on the Basketball team and rarely talked to anyone. he wasn't good for her ;-;, I caught them making out after school.

broke my heart. But, yeh, opposites attract. magnets how do they work anyways?

You just reminded me on why I liked TLA better at this point that LoK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom