• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Should be noted that the UK online store now just lists it as temporarily out of stock, no due date, can't even order it.

Nester99

Same old lego cycle.

"oh man that is cool, I am so going to be a grown adult buying a lego set"

Walks into store.

"wow I am a grown adult who can not afford lego..."

sqwarlock

Just finished building. My god was that an incredibly ingenius and fun build. So glad I didn't hold off on ordering.

Edit: did any else end up with extra pieces? I have a handful of extra small pieces from various bags. I know for a fact I didn't miss any pieces, I even have a fourth space man.

I'm glad I didn't have too few pieces, but lego's sorting robots bestowed me with a small trove of extras. The most coming from the final bag, actually.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but it looks like you forgot to rotate the pieces that make up the escape tower's "support" section.

elfinke

We completed ours last night, pretty great stuff and makes for a genuinely great display model, better than many others.

Time to put up a fresh shelf for it now in the Lego space corner.

My brother said he'd like to get one... And he normally never asks for anything for himself. So, I'm trying to find a set for him.

Hopefully they bring this back in stock soon, cause it's sold out everywhere I looked in Toronto.

just quoting my post to say:

Huzzah!

I called a local Lego Store today and they were able to place one on hold for me to pick up, which I did, and now it's now sitting in my house. Felt like a kid going into the Lego Store for the first time, and my brother was really happy getting it. Good feels!

forms

But what do you DO with these things? Is building it the entire thing, displaying it or what? And yes, I assume there are as many reasons as there are lego pieces in the world. :D

Do you glue them together, for safety, or keep rebuilding? What do your kids think about them, if you have any? Can anyone post some pictures of their work in progress?

And, above all, WHY do I want one? I don't even do other models. :D

_Rob_

Do you glue them together,

NEVER!
lord-business-and-the-kragle.jpg

Also as a warning, once you buy this you'll be hooked for good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because of all the Saturn V talk lately Youtube suggested me a video by Amy Shira Teitel and her Vintage Space channel....

OMG so many great videos to watch... Also I think I'm in love...

Yeah stumbled across that channel while looking for reviews of the lego set. Was disappointed she hasn't done a review yet but just checking the community page someone donated a set to her - she's doing a live build tomorrow.

Not going to watch the build but will be curious to see how she likes it from a more Apollo/historical perspective.

People who glue Lego (unless it's for a permanent PUBLIC exhibition) should be shot, no exceptions. Lego is made to be solidly connected AND possible to take apart and reused.

Lach

Ordered it from the lego online store (Switzerland) two weeks ago and they are still waiting on restocking... :(

Figgles

Finished mine. There is some amazing creativity in the use of pieces here. Each stage is better than the last. This was worth every penny. It actually feels like it was on the cheap side considering how massive it is.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Got mine this week from John Lewis in the UK- one of the last places to have it. But the box is a proper mess, was clearly thrown around loads in shipping.

I want to send it back, by I know there's not any more in stock.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got mine this week from John Lewis in the UK- one of the last places to have it. But the box is a proper mess, was clearly thrown around loads in shipping.

I want to send it back, by I know there's not any more in stock.

I got mine from John Lewis a week before the official launch..

Are you one of those that keeps the boxes? I am, and my loft hates me. But I do sometimes sell sets on when I clear out so at last for big sets I try and keep them.

You could complain and see if you can get some money off - then buy a box only from bricklink?

LQX

I have never bought a Lego set before but I want this one. This is out of stock everywhere. Are these normally limited or do thy come back in stock?

Edit-
Answered in a post above.

nekkid

I got mine from John Lewis a week before the official launch..

Are you one of those that keeps the boxes? I am, and my loft hates me. But I do sometimes sell sets on when I clear out so at last for big sets I try and keep them.

You could complain and see if you can get some money off - then buy a box only from bricklink?

Yeah I hate throwing the boxes away. Even the kids' Duplo boxes!

Yeah I think money off is what I'll aim for. JL are pretty good on customer service, generally.

Got mine in yesterday. Need to find some time to do the build and somewhere to keep it safe when it's done. Have a 6 year old and neighborhood kids are over all the time.

nekkid

Got mine in yesterday. Need to find some time to do the build and somewhere to keep it safe when it's done. Have a 6 year old and neighborhood kids are over all the time.

Oh wow, I totally misread your comment the first time!

morch

2 of my colleagues completed theirs, they're quite impressive to see, and more impressive falling apart trying to show off, haha

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I just wanted to say I recently saw the base of a real saturn rocket and the scale was mind boggling. The f1 engines are staggeringly huge.

Koren

So how many of you mixed the bags up before building?
I didn't, and as I said in the Lego thread, I wish I had, the build was too short (less than 3h) :/

Anyone know when this will be available again in Canada? I unfortunately missed the last restock on Amazon.
Not sure for Canada, but Lego stores in France say they won't get more till october at earliest :/ The rumor says there's a part they have trouble producing, and that there's many in this one (I wonder which one it could be).

I'm happy I could buy one in Paris Lego store at the end of june, I built it two years ago, it's just great... Good hunt to anyone looking for it.

Are they all 1x1 sized pieces? If so then that's standard for LEGO sets.
There's additional astronauts in this one, too. But yes, if I'm not mistaken, a bunch of 1x1 round plates (gold, white, black), 1x1 plates (white, gold), cheeses (white, black, gold), 1x1 round tile (orange), 1x1 tile (white), a white tap, blue and black connectors, and half a dozen others. Not that many, in fact, compared to other sets.

Pretty much every set ends up with a small set of extra pieces. It all seems to be very random.
I'm pretty sure it's a security against missing parts... They weight the parts packs, and those small parts are probably too light to reliably register on scales.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's an ideas submission with quite a lot of support for a nice looking launch platform for this. I doubt Lego would approve something like this but it would be nice.

Also a new, nicer looking shuttle more accurate to the scale of the Saturn V. But if/when they do another shuttle I doubt it will be through the ideas platform.

hirokazu

There's an ideas submission with quite a lot of support for a nice looking launch platform for this. I doubt Lego would approve something like this but it would be nice.

Also a new, nicer looking shuttle more accurate to the scale of the Saturn V. But if/when they do another shuttle I doubt it will be through the ideas platform.
Cool, thanks. I put my support down for the shuttle. The launchpad is a cool idea too but the pics look ugly haha.

Kevtones

Fuck it was in stock through my process and then I clicked 'sign up' for lego and then it booted me back to the item page.

OUT OF STOCK :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fuck it was in stock through my process and then I clicked 'sign up' for lego and then it booted me back to the item page.

OUT OF STOCK :(

Yeah, I went to buy it this morning and it's already sold out again. Son of a Bitch!!!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom