• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
So... I ordered those six blue pieces, and they're shipped from a city called Strykow in Poland?

That seems insanely expensive given the cost of the pieces and the "free shipping".

Yeah same and they've been in Strykow since May 26th according to my tracking... I assume they are actually on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic right now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So... I ordered those six blue pieces, and they're shipped from a city called Strykow in Poland?

That seems insanely expensive given the cost of the pieces and the "free shipping".

Placed same order. Got shipping notice on the 30th, and tracking shows them in Georgia now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah same and they've been in Strykow since May 26th according to my tracking... I assume they are actually on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic right now.
I just assumed they'd have them in the same place where they housed the sets before shipping them out.
Maybe there's something I'm missing about the logistics of custom Lego orders.

hirokazu

You lucky ducks with quick order-to-delivery turnaround. Mine is perpetually stuck in ALEXANDRIA BUSINESS HUB DWS limbo, which is a pretty common thing with LEGO into Australia.

Ya killing me Alexandria Business Hub, FFS.
I got a notice from Australia Post last night that it'd be delivered today. Came in to work this morning and it was already there.

Have been savouring this and building very slowly. Have one bag left. I thought the set would kind of "wind down" by the end but Stage 3 (S-IVB) was such an amazing build.

seb

Banned
Mine is there too. Taunting me. It's my father's day gift, I can't open it before the 18th 😥

elfinke

I got a notice from Australia Post last night that it'd be delivered today. Came in to work this morning and it was already there.

Received a text last night saying it is due for delivery tomorrow. So that's my weekend set, sorry grass/car/Horizon/sport.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll be buying this once the Lego store gets it back in stock. Amazon wants $230 for it, yeah I'll just wait, LOL!

iosefe

I'll be buying this once the Lego store gets it back in stock. Amazon wants $230 for it, yeah I'll just wait, LOL!

i hope you are patient.

additionally, stores probably wont be doing hold or Phone orders due to demand.

Godspeed

Just finished the last section and the two modules. That mesh in the escape rocket was so awesome.

Easily one of my favourite Lego builds.

There is a Lego store in Portland and it was so fucking amazing. There is a camera where you hold the box and shows the content and how it's going to look like after it's finished. It even moves if there are moving parts. I also the Lego blocks count is incredible.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mixing the bags sounds like a great way to make it tedious. I wouldn't have had room to do that even if I wanted to though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Mixing the bags sounds like a great way to make it tedious. I wouldn't have had room to do that even if I wanted to though.

I just dump the pieces in a small plastic bin and dig through to find the pieces. I like the hunt.

By the way, this build is crazy. I am not even done with the first stage rocket but it is genius how they do this shit.

Just picked up the Saturn V today!

Surprised how quick these are going, the store today I went to had 50 this morning and sold 30 up until I picked it up at 5:30.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Just finished building. My god was that an incredibly ingenius and fun build. So glad I didn't hold off on ordering.

bOhiQsM.jpg

y7oiwtm.jpg

Edit: did any else end up with extra pieces? I have a handful of extra small pieces from various bags. I know for a fact I didn't miss any pieces, I even have a fourth space man.

I'm glad I didn't have too few pieces, but lego's sorting robots bestowed me with a small trove of extras. The most coming from the final bag, actually.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Extra pieces to make the final count 1969. *wink wink*

I thought the piece count only referred to the ones used and not the extras?

I did feel like there were a handful of times they used multiple pieces when one different piece would have worked fine, to inflate the count to 1969.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I thought the piece count only referred to the ones used and not the extras?

I did feel like there were a handful of times they used multiple pieces when one different piece would have worked fine, to inflate the count to 1969.

Oh for sure. A lot of the inner pieces were more complex than necessary without a doubt.

F34R

Just finished building. My god was that an incredibly ingenius and fun build. So glad I didn't hold off on ordering.

Edit: did any else end up with extra pieces? I have a handful of extra small pieces from various bags. I know for a fact I didn't miss any pieces, I even have a fourth space man.

I'm glad I didn't have too few pieces, but lego's sorting robots bestowed me with a small trove of extras. The most coming from the final bag, actually.

Every single Lego set I've bought always has extra pieces...

stolin

I just finished. Was a lot of fun seeing how the curvature is kept throughout.

Scale again Millennium Falcon. There's always extra small pieces.. they bet you are gonna lose some of them.

elfinke

Long weekend here in Australia, so the delivery of this was perfectly timed (picked it up along with the New York skyline and three Speed Champions).

We just started it, having poured all 12 bags indiscriminately into 3 containers to ensure

A) it's a collaborative effort
B) maximum bang for buck

So far so good!

I don't think they ever use smaller parts just to pad the count. There are several reasons:

Using two parts that are already used elsewhere in the set to keep down the amount of different parts in production for the set. Like, for instance there is a black 1x8 tile with a white 1x6 and 1x2 tile. They didn't make a white 1x8 since the 1x6 and 1x2 were already used.

Using parts that are already used in the same bag to stay within limits (there can only be a certain number of different parts in one bag).

Making it easier to see what's going on, or making a more logical building step.

Minute differences, like using the clasps with the orange tiles on them to lock down parts rather than just a longer plate, because the clasps are rounded so other parts can rotate around them, or using two Technic bricks joined by a pin to get a hole to mount other things in.

These are all things that are considered when making a set.

Megasoum

Banned
Ugh... I'm short one of those round part

306201_s1

For the step 87... I only found 7 of the 8.

Those fuckers roll so easily off the table but I can't find it! Arghhh

Edit:

Great... Now I'm also missing one of those for the Stage 1 engines.... wtf

474001_s8

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ugh... I'm short one of those round part

306201_s1

For the step 87... I only found 7 of the 8.

Those fuckers roll so easily off the table but I can't find it! Arghhh

Edit:

Great... Now I'm also missing one of those for the Stage 1 engines.... wtf

474001_s8

Double check the bags. sometimes pieces get lost in there.

If they are lost, contact LEGO, they will hook you up.

F34R

Definitely check the bags again. I've spend thousands of dollars on Lego builds and haven't ever been missing a piece (except once lol) The Ghostbusters headquarters was missing 5 pieces of the same piece, but I had five extra pieces of another. lol. Called Lego and they sent me 20 just to be sure. Free of course.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah I've doubled and trippled checked all the bags, checked under the couch cushions (I've been discarding my empty bags on the couch) and checked the floor but still nothing.

Anyway, I just finished the second stage now, I'll finish the whole thing and then check everywhere again.

Megasoum

Banned
And I'm done... Took me a bit less than 9hours total.

I took my time while watching the Formula 1 race, the Microsoft presser and then the Stanley Cup Final.

I still can't find the the missing pieces... That's a bummer... At least they are two external pieces (one of the Stage 1 engine and one of the pipe along the external skin).

Who should I contact about that? The LEGO shop support?

And I'm done... Took me a bit less than 9hours total.

I took my time while watching the Formula 1 race, the Microsoft presser and then the Stanley Cup Final.

I still can't find the the missing pieces... That's a bummer... At least they are two external pieces (one of the Stage 1 engine and one of the pipe along the external skin).

Who should I contact about that? The LEGO shop support?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/replacementparts

Use the "Missing Bricks" section.

My brother said he'd like to get one... And he normally never asks for anything for himself. So, I'm trying to find a set for him.

Hopefully they bring this back in stock soon, cause it's sold out everywhere I looked in Toronto.

bOhiQsM.jpg

y7oiwtm.jpg

Beautiful photos!

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody else having issues with the "flame" part of the Stage 1 engines not sticking very well?

I feel like if I push in the whole engine stack as tightly as possible on the rod then it ends up pussing the orange part out so it's not sticking very well.

So, for example, if the rocket is standing up and I apply pressure down on it the engine bells moves up on the rod and put out the fire.

Not that big of deal but one of the engines specifically keeps falling down if I move the rocket around.

RCSI

When I needed a break from building the Saturn V, I have been reading Failure is Not an Option. I have never put together a Lego set and while I have owned Lego pieces in the past, it was never enough to build something substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom