• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

farnham

Banned
Lol, you've got a real agenda against Nintendo. I've been reading your posts in that Kimaya thread, they're hilarious. =P

not really.
Why was there a need for this?

well i was speculating about a further collaboration between lego, travelers tales and nintendo. but then i realized that it is not going to be very succesful for traverlers tales and nintendo as the games will probably not sell well, at least not the wiiu version. the lego sets i believe could sell pretty well

This game looks delightful. Great OT particularly the T-Rexmobile section. Since port begging is frowned upon, all I'll say is this is one of the rare times I wish I had a WiiU and I hope the 3DS game ends up being OK.

fernoca

Can't wait!
Hoping to get the figurine with the Wii U preorder and preordered the 3DS version with an Amazon giftcard since the price is $29.99.

I didn't have any desire or expectations for this game until i seen it in motion and realised it kinda like GTA but presented in a more light hearted manner.

Open world, explore.. drive around have fun.. Do missions if you want to progress etc.

how can one review give an 8.5 or 9 then another a 5 thats kinda off the board...

Personal preference is one thing i don't know 5 is below average while 9 is absolutely fantastic..

I'll have to wait for a few more reviews i suppose! Either way look good so far!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I didn't have any desire or expectations for this game until i seen it in motion and realised it kinda like GTA but presented in a more light hearted manner.

Open world, explore.. drive around have fun.. Do missions if you want to progress etc.

how can one review give an 8.5 or 9 then another a 5 thats kinda off the board...

Personal preference is one thing i don't know 5 is below average while 9 is absolutely fantastic..

I'll have to wait for a few more reviews i suppose! Either way look good so far!

Except it's not really like GTA which is why some folks are disappointed.

Wiz

I'm really excited for this game. Apparently there's about 40-50 hours worth of gameplay. I'm not too worried about the (relatively) small map, it seems like there will be something to do in every part of it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
lego nintendo (as actual toys and as video games) would rake in millions right?

but then again it would be on wiiu so probably not.

Rumors persist in the LEGO fan community that LEGO has reached a deal with Nintendo to put out physical sets based on Nintendo properties. No official confirmation or denial as of yet, but I can tell you I would buy the living shit out of a LEGO Hyrule Castle and LEGO Samus' Ship.

Rumors persist in the LEGO fan community that LEGO has reached a deal with Nintendo to put out physical sets based on Nintendo properties. No official confirmation or denial as of yet, but I can tell you I would buy the living shit out of a LEGO Hyrule Castle and LEGO Samus' Ship.

Holy shit. Let it be true.

CoolS

The 9 is from Official Nintendo Magazine, so that is to be taken with a huge grain of salt imo.

My wallet would cry hard, but that sounds amazing.

OMG. I've hardened my heart against pretty much all Lego sets since the original Star Wars trilogy stuff came out but man I'd be all over this.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

This Legend of Zelda CUUSOO Project (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809) has been rejected by LEGO:

The Legend of Zelda project shows broad support among gaming enthusiasts . This project has provided great inspiration and concept work for what could be a very nice product.

However, multiple new element moulds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these moulds means that the Legend of Zelda project does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case.

Please note: If a project does not pass the LEGO Review please do not interpret that as an indication that we will not consider similar projects in the future.

Another similar project (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/14886) however is currently in review after hitting 10k supporters. This one mostly avoids the issue of new moulds, and seems to have a better chance at passing review.

farnham

Banned

I would buy dem lego pokemans!

People need to buy that set that has a Chase minifig and the code for the game, it's a really well done set (That SUV is solid solid) and you can't hate on the sportscar that comes with it!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
People need to buy that set that has a Chase minifig and the code for the game, it's a really well done set (That SUV is solid solid) and you can't hate on the sportscar that comes with it!

60007_alt1.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This Legend of Zelda CUUSOO Project (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6809) has been rejected by LEGO:

Another similar project (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/14886) however is currently in review after hitting 10k supporters. This one mostly avoids the issue of new moulds, and seems to have a better chance at passing review.

Unless they're rejecting them because they don't want CUUSOO competition with their officially licensed products in the works... :tinfoil.gif:

I would buy dem lego pokemans!

I hadn't even considered Pokémon. Talk about a near-infinite goldmine. Dat UCS Pokémon Stadium.

deviljho

My 13 year old cousin doesn't own a Wii U. He is "buying me" this game as my "birthday present." My birthday was in December. o_O

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

New The Legend of Zelda (i.e. a title that bring back the old chapters' gameplay with some modern touches) = Lego The Legend of Zelda.

Oh God, let it be true.

Randdalf

New The Legend of Zelda (i.e. a title that bring back the old chapters' gameplay with some modern touches) = Lego The Legend of Zelda.

Oh God, let it be true.

A cynical person would say they are a perfect match because every game in both series is always the same.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Oh God, let it be true.

Wasn't that Dot Heroes?

Having read the Edge review,I don't think it's a particularly good review and some of their gripes seem a bit odd: they make it sound like it is more a game for kids than adults but also criticise that kids won't get some of the gags or cliches. Also, one of their main gripes seems to be that a Lego game isn't as interesting without a recognised movie licence. They do also point out some technical flaws however:

The tragedy of the denizens of this Lego city is their complete and utter conviction that their sole rasion d'etre is to endlessly rehearse police movie cliches - Doughnuts, grumpy captains, a maverick hero and a sassy deskbound dispatcher. They're all here living in a city built to be a child-friendly pastiche of films most children are unlikely to have ever seen.

Surely this is a good thing in a way that it means it would have different appeal to both kids and adults????

Often witty, Undercover constantly strains to be wittier as part of a doomed attempt to make up for the fundamental blandness of its world.

On vehicle handling:
These trucks and cars behave like, well, pieces of plastic when other vehicles smash into them - unpredictably tipping over or getting wedged between bollards

On technical issues:
Both interior and exterior sections suffer from performance issues, with slowdown and pop-in proving to be particularly frequent annoyances. These problems don't ruin Undercover but after a series of lacklustre Wii U ports, it's disappointing that the first of the systems major exclusives in 2013 runs anything less than smoothly.

In summary:
A number of Undercovers flaws won't matter to its target audience - kids.....However, for adults it is a less inviting prospect, even with its satirical undertone. It's a plastic facsimile of GTA - a game that was hardly humourless in the first place and one that has already spawned a genres worth of more sophisticated rivals and clones.

No mention of long loading times in the review...

Xander51

It's super weird that this game is dated for a Monday. I'm totally stoked about it, I love the other Lego games and TT Fusion has really matured as a developer in their last few mobile titles. I'm going to get the download version of this.

Katzii

Love the T-Rex, but I still hate that Europe gets it later than NA :(

It's ten days. Not really too bad considering the delays we've faced in the past. I can wait that long.

That being said, the only upside to an earlier release would be to have not had the issue of fighting this against Luigi's Mansion for my time. At least it's on the Easter long weekend though!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Having read the Edge review,I don't think it's a particularly good review and some of their gripes seem a bit odd: they make it sound like it is more a game for kids than adults but also criticise that kids won't get some of the gags or cliches. Also, one of their main gripes seems to be that a Lego game isn't as interesting without a recognised movie licence. They do also point out some technical flaws however:

Surely this is a good thing in a way that it means it would have different appeal to both kids and adults????

On vehicle handling:

On technical issues:

In summary:

No mention of long loading times in the review...

It sounds like a combination of: "We still don't like Lego games, they're just for kids" and "disappointing because Wii U games have been lackluster technologically."

The latter gripe is more valid, and yes, it's too bad if there's still technical problems. I suppose the issue here may be that Traveler's Tales are not quite a technical powerhouse. Their PC ports of games like Lego Batman 2 and LotR require a pretty beefy computer to force to run smoothly, for example. Even on my system (it Runs Crysis (tm)) Batman 2 has framerate issues in places in the open world area.

Otherwise, it sounds like a Lego game. Review scores on this one may ultimately boil down to whether you like that part or not.

deviljho

Having read the Edge review,I don't think it's a particularly good review and some of their gripes seem a bit odd

It sounds like a combination of: "We still don't like Lego games, they're just for kids" and "disappointing because Wii U games have been lackluster technologically."

EDGE has been shitting Lego games forever?? That doesn't seem to hurt the sales of Lego games... I've always been skeptical of the impact of review scores on games that don't have a super-niche, narrow focus.

It's super weird that this game is dated for a Monday. I'm totally stoked about it, I love the other Lego games and TT Fusion has really matured as a developer in their last few mobile titles. I'm going to get the download version of this.

When does the store for Wii U update for new releases?

I'll be preordering this tomorrow, can't wait to play this. After all this time waiting since the first announcement almost two years ago it's about time!

If this is true... my wallet, if this is true...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
EDGE has been shitting Lego games forever?? That doesn't seem to hurt the sales of Lego games... I've always been skeptical of the impact of review scores on games that don't have a super-niche, narrow focus.

In spite of the Edge worship that you see, Edge is no different from other publications. They have some predictable blind spots, and apparent biases.

For example, for a few years now they've downrated a lot of fighting games for not being as "perfect" as SFIV. Because according to them, SFIV is like the ultimate fighting game, and solely responsible for saving the genre. It more sounds like it's the only fighting game their guys around the office can play without rage quitting, to be honest.

fernoca

Interesting tha the Edge review was so low, and failed to mention the "long loading times". Wonder if it was actually fixed over the demo EatChildren played.

Would be quite a big ommision to an already low scored-review, so wonder if as has been mentioned it was just reviewed as "lol Lego games are for kids". Then gain, the review notes framerate problems inside buildings which would a relatively smaller thing to notice and take points, compared to the long load times.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oh god...please let this come true.

Also this game looks fun as hell, next week cannot come soon enough.

ToyBroker

Banned
Not sure why a lot of you are saying this game looks funny. I think I have a pretty good sense of humor, and from all the trailers it's pretty much been...kinda cornballish.

Top Bottom