• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

JCH!

Any word on if this game is available in English in mainland Europe? Or will they force the regional languages on us? I don't want to listen to the retarded Spanish dubbing! D:

boxter432

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TYzxPbsCW_4

Can anyone make a GIF out of the final scene in the trailer where he
draws a shocked expression?
It's hilarious!

e5be0c81f92f9ed1ed1747e39386b9eb.gif

Just unlocked the zombie outfit, it even makes chase walk and run like a zombie. This game keeps on giving. Also you can tow cars with the tow truck, and jump in the cherry picker truck and control the arm and ride it. Anyone know what chapter unlocks helicopters and boats?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Holy shit (spoiler I guess of a joke when you start the ranch mission)
when Chase explains to Frank that he's been sitting on his horse backwards, and Frank says "oh... I guess that's why he didn't like it when I tried to feed him that apple. "

This game really is funny.

I've bought five Wii U games so far----Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros., U, SiNG Party, LEGO City Undercover, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.

I've also played ZombiU, the Rayman Legends demo, etc.

Out of those all those games, I can say with confidence that LEGO City Undercover has been the most fun, most addictive, and most hilarious experience that I've had with the Wii U.

It would be my #1 recommended game for anyone who is looking to buy a Wii U, and in my opinion, it's a reason to go out and buy the console now. It's a TRUE video game.

My positives:

* 17 explorable regions makes the overall world seem HUGE. Each region isn't very large, but that isn't really an issue and the seamless loading between regions makes the boundaries less distinct.

* Hilarious dialogue. Lots of corny humor that makes the game a fun B-Movie. The over-the-top way it's presented makes it a camp hit.

* Surprisingly engaging narrative. The story always keeps me intrigued, even if its cliched nature SHOULD be a detractor. And I quite like the characters.

* VERY fun, accessible gameplay. It keeps things light and easy without any real frustrating moments. Personally, I'm not the kind of person who likes frustrating gameplay challenges, so this is up my alley.

* A BILLION COLLECTIBLES. God the sheer amount of STUFF you can collect in this game is mind-boggling. I love collectathons, and this game DELIVERS IN SPADES. So much FUCKING STUFF to collect.

* IT'S SO ROBUST. Seriously. Compared to your linear, 6-hour-long, cinematic-set-piece-driven, linear shooters, this is a godsend. The story takes quite a while to complete. And the game takes hundreds of hours to 100%. For example, I took a tally when I was 6 hours into the game. For me, 6 hours into the game = 4.5% complete.

* Beautiful cinematics. When the game does have cutscenes, they're quite well done.

* Large, explorable open-world filled with nooks and crannies and hidden objects and stuff to do.

* Technically competent. Everything works mostly how it should, the camera is serviceable, and there's never any one moment that I felt stuck or confused. Lots of on-screen prompts will help you out if you forget a control or a move...

* Nothing--in terms of localized gameplay--too difficult. None of the puzzles are challenging. None of the enemies are difficult. Everything is nice and easy. But why is this a good thing? Because this game is brilliant as a chill, relaxing, fun game for when you want to unwind and relax. It's instantly accessible and very pick-up-and-play worthy. Wandering around, searching for objects to collect with nature ambiance in the background is quite a zen experience.

* It fulfills that "Grand Theft Auto" itch. The game is obviously inspired from GTA, but it's much less hectic and stressful. It may be "GTA-lite," but I really think that works to its advantage when considering the overall atmosphere of the game.

* It feels like a pre-cinematic-era video game. You know...a "classic video game." I really think this gen needs more of that.

* Serviceable soundtrack and voice acting. It could be better...but it could be a hell of a lot worse, too. I especially like the theme for the Police station.

My negatives:

* Framerate is unreliable at times. It really isn't optimal at all. While the framerate never gets to a point where it's a problem, slowdowns aren't exactly rare in the game either.

* LONG loading times between missions + the open world. It definitely feels like the load times are longer than they should be.

* Controls aren't perfect. They generally work the way they're supposed to, but I've missed a jump and smashed a car more than a few times than I'd like.

* In-game graphics are generally underwhelming. I can't think of any one part of the game that's technically beautiful in today's day-and-age. But I've never been one to expect fantastic graphics, especially from Nintendo games. And the art style is just slightly more uninspired than I would like. However, there are a few places (like the mine) that I find quite pretty. At the very least, everything is colorful.

* It isn't perfectly polished. There are some hiccups in gameplay and graphics here and there that can be slightly frustrating at times.

Very nice impression of this title. This is my first Lego title (played others but this is the first one I bought). I'm so pulled to play so many of the great titles that are coming out this year and I was very tempted to trade it in after the first few minutes but decided to stick it through. I am soooo glad I did. I love that they use the GamePad in a creative way and also play on films that I loved watching in years past. The world feels alive and I enjoy playing around it. The game does lack some polish but it's not to the point that would detract from the overall game. The loading time is ridiculous and it really is something that is frustrating at times. I have to remind myself sometimes that the game is worth and and once the loading time is over, I'm happy to be back in Lego City. I hope that they patch that issue soon. Overall, this game is amazing. It's doesn't set the world on fire but it does so much and does it so well that I almost forgive all of its shortcomings. I see myself keeping my copy as a permanent staple in my Wii U catalogue.

If I was scoring it, I would give it a 9. Once they fix the loading and add a tad bit more polish, it would move up to probably be a 9.5.

Does anyone know why the file size for this game is so large? Watching the opening cutscene right now and it is compressed to hell and back.

Edit: Man this game really needs some more AA. Jagglies everywhere.

GulAtiCa

Every time I mean to take a break from the game, I instead spend an hour collecting blocks somehow!

Does anyone know why the file size for this game is so large? Watching the opening cutscene right now and it is compressed to hell and back.

Well the game is kinda large in of itself.

Dragoshi1

Well, beat the game today! EPIC finale, seriously.

Spoilers incoming;
Using the Heavyfig against Rex's T-Rex bot was cool, especially with the homage to Aliens and Super Mario Bros! The Skydive sequence was amazing, looked absolutely gorgeous! THIS is a next-gen game!

But now the question is;
How do we unlock the T-Rex for free roam? I went back through the museum level, and got everything but one piece of the Police badge, and after beating it, it didn't let me do the sequence where we bring it to the airport...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy shit (spoiler I guess of a joke when you start the ranch mission)
when Chase explains to Frank that he's been sitting on his horse backwards, and Frank says "oh... I guess that's why he didn't like it when I tried to feed him that apple. "

This game really is funny.

Funniest joke in the entire game. (So far.)

Zero148

really looking forward to get it next week.

btw, based on amazon UK charts, it could be the first WiiU game to hit UK Top 40 in a long time, it is at position 23 at the moment. Although I don't know how representative amazon charts are

Davey Cakes

Pretty decent space given to this game in the Wii U section of PAX East. A demo screen, a playable screen, and a place where you can dress as a convict and take a photo with Chase McCain. The 3DS prequel was also present.

It's kind of cool that this game is getting attention.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Hey so I got to I think the second story mandated super build and
it was the ferry for 15,000 bricks and I'd just spent 8,000 outside the police station on the call-in spot. Do I REALLY have to walk around looking for like 10k extra damn bricks in the world map ? It seems like 9/10 of the bricks near the ferry are unobtainable at this point. Yes I got the 10k brick up the antenna. Yes I spent it already.

It's like every way I turn in this game trying to have fun some awful tech issue or shitty design decision beats me over the head. :-(

zigg

It's like every way I turn in this game trying to have fun some awful tech issue or shitty design decision beats me over the head. :-(
Funny, I was thinking that the game was giving me too many super bricks. I've been able to build everything I've come across so far without needing to scavenge.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Funny, I was thinking that the game was giving me too many super bricks. I've been able to build everything I've come across so far without needing to scavenge.

What am I doing wrong? Where should I be looking for the bricks. I'm at the
pier connected to the prison round the back of the police station and it seems like every brick is locked away behind a costume door. It's like the game is trolling me. Use the pad to look for bricks! Oh you found one? Hahaha! Too bad - it's unaccessible to you right now! Go smash some more pots!
I am trying my darndest to have fun with the game.

GulAtiCa

^^^
If I recall correctly, there are 3 or 4 small bricks in that area. Ignore the one behind the door. There is one on top of the backside of the police station and another I believe at the ceiling of the rail way (or path leads to it)

After the mine, I found super bricks everywhere. You also can easily get 2k by getting the 5X when running things over each time. The woods has a bunch of them. Use your scanner thingy and look around. Exploring helps a lot.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy shit, the
construction site
level is just one
Arnold movie
reference after another!

Where does one spend the basic studs in this game? Didn't see a big character unlock screen like other games have although I probably missed it.

GulAtiCa

Where does one spend the basic studs in this game? Didn't see a big character unlock screen like other games have although I probably missed it.

In the police station. At basement, there are 3 areas to use them. Left for people, right for cars, and upper section of basement for extra unlocks. (maybe something else there for a 4th one? But I haven't unlocked it yet)

---

I tell you, Frank Honey is one awesome character. Too bad he won't be in the 3DS game (I'm assuming)

hokahey

This game just gets better as it goes and is overall a better game than I'd have suspected. I think as word of mouth spreads it will have some legs to it and have an impact on wiiu sales. After Mario this is the must have wiiu title.

EDarkness

Damn, it's been almost a week and I STILL don't have the game. There's no place that has it in stock...and I pre-ordered the game from Amazon and Play Asia. This is all kinds of screwed up. I'd get it digitally, but I want the option to let friend's borrow it when I'm done. Nintendo really needs to figure out their shipping issues.

Top Bottom