• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions |OT| Not Lost Dimensions

LEGO has always been a different beast though. If you don't get a set before it goes out of print, you won't ever see it again except on eBay and Amazon resellers' pages. You may be right as far as the DI thing goes, but somehow I don't see Dimensions being the same way.

Oh I know, I work for them and I'm a fanatic about Lego hehehe

I'm just speculating of course, but I feel like since the level packs include actual in-game content beyond just playable characters or vehicles, they'll very likely stick around longer than the Character Packs or Team Packs. Wonder Woman can easily be replaced by another flying character down the road but entire worlds being unattainable because they stopped selling the expansion packs is another thing entirely IMO. I know they don't effect the main game so eventually they WILL be retired, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as quickly as some people are thinking.

Lomax

What seems most likely to me is that they'll retire specific character variants and sets but have the same game levels with new figures.

New patch is out that lets you briefly purchase characters with in game studs if you don't have their ability:

Info from Reddit
The ability to purchase a Wave one Character ability to use for 30 seconds, you can use it to unlock challenges and any overcome any obstacle.

The Pricing for each use is the following

First time- 50k Studs

Second Time - 75k Studs

Third Time -125k Studs

Remaining Uses - 250k studs

This price/use does is not a per level basis, it is a Global Amount an use. It is not based on if the ability is used or not also

Example- I had an underwater X-ray obstacle and it offered me the ability to "purchase" Zane for 30 seconds for 50k. I did so and was able to accomplish said task. If I was to switch world's or levels it would then cost 75k. If I was to turn the game on/off it would cost 125k. And So forth.

Not sure if this will carry over as new waves are released

~~~~~~~~~

-So far I haven't had any trouble getting into vehicles. It seems that bug is fixed.

-Slightly shorter load times when going into a level. (Very minor)

-At load it suggests to not have toy pad on metal surface.

Added "The Dalek Extermination of Earth", Doctor Who Adventure World, and Doctor Who Level Pack Achievements.

On upgrade Screen now shows preview of what each model can do without already having necessary amount of upgrades. (Previously required 10/10 before it showed the specific functions that next upgrade level could do)

Stud Farming areas have been fixed

Patch notes from ps4 screen (Very minimal) Show stability increase

jonno394

Did anyone get hit with an update tonight? my PS4 is downloading a 6.86 gb file?

Likely prep for the Doctor Who level and adventure world.

Edit - already detailed in post above yours :)

Ability to buy skills is pricey but means people can do things without buying figures I suppose

Likely prep for the Doctor Who level and adventure world.

Edit - already detailed in post above yours :)

Ability to buy skills is pricey but means people can do things without buying figures I suppose

I think the ability update will be especially helpful for those bricks that require multiple skills at once, like dive + hacking

Hmm, I don't think that's how it works, I am under the impression you rent the character, not the ability.

Well, I meant that in the sense that only Gollum or Slimer have the ability to dive and use mini access doors (from what I've heard), so it would be useful to rent one of those characters for those specific instances.

JonnyKong

I haven't bought the game yet so I don't fully know, but what's the difference between the fun and team packs? Is it just that one box has more characters than the other? Seems silly to split them to me, just put them all together in one big package.

I haven't bought the game yet so I don't fully know, but what's the difference between the fun and team packs? Is it just that one box has more characters than the other? Seems silly to split them to me, just put them all together in one big package.

It is not silly when they make more money this way.

You also have that they are following the toys to live model, with small packages that can be purchased by the children or their parents outside special days, in small increments.

8bit

Knows the Score

Fun pack - One character, one vehicle or weapon.
Team pack - Two characters, two vehicles/weapons. (IIRC Slightly cheaper than two fun packs.)

Anyway, finished it last night and have had great fun with it, I'd love to see a fuller Doctor Who game but at least with this I get Portal Lego too. Also, found the Mystery Dimension, is this new or a post game thing?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is a dumb/silly question, but how much "secret" content do these games have? Is the game straightforward and linear like the Disney Infinity stuff, or is there a reason to explore and wander? Considering picking this up this weekend.

8bit

Knows the Score
This is a dumb/silly question, but how much "secret" content do these games have? Is the game straightforward and linear like the Disney Infinity stuff, or is there a reason to explore and wander? Considering picking this up this weekend.

It's a Lego game, there are loads of areas to explore for bricks/minikits/studs, etc.

JonnyKong

I also have another silly question so I do apologise.

Obviously I know you can swap out the Lego figures whenever you want in game. Do the other characters on screen acknowledge you when you do? Let's say for example I swap in Shaggy instead of Batman, will there be dialogue acknowledging Shaggy on screen? Also, will Shaggy then appear in all future cut scenes?

I'm just trying to justify buying other figures really.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've never played a LEGO game, so this would be my first. Is the game challenging, or am I going to find myself snoozing through the areas?

These are not difficult games, but the exploration aspect is kind of fun. I would probably suggest getting Lego batman cheap first and figuring out if it's your thing.

I also have another silly question so I do apologise.

Obviously I know you can swap out the Lego figures whenever you want in game. Do the other characters on screen acknowledge you when you do? Let's say for example I swap in Shaggy instead of Batman, will there be dialogue acknowledging Shaggy on screen? Also, will Shaggy then appear in all future cut scenes?

I'm just trying to justify buying other figures really.

Cutscenes, no. Only Batman, Wildstyle & Gandalf. Character chat, yes but not much. Wildstyle for instance mentions superman to wonder woman.

My wife wants to buy the game but we currently only have a PS3 and a Wii U. What's the best choice here? How much of a difference is there graphically between the PS4/XB1 and the old gen versions and between PS3 and Wii U if any at all?

MAtgS

My wife wants to buy the game but we currently only have a PS3 and a Wii U. What's the best choice here? How much of a difference is there graphically between the PS4/XB1 and the old gen versions and between PS3 and Wii U if any at all?

Wii U Lego never gotten DLC, I'd be wary of that version in the long term.

weekev

Banned
I dont know if its the case with Dimensions but in previous Lego games on WiiU yhe local coop splits the screen betwern the tv and gamepad, which makes it superior IMO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So can I revisit these areas in the main game that I don't currently own a character for? Like in the opening Wizard of Oz section where you need Gollum to access the secret area?

8bit

Knows the Score
So can I revisit these areas in the main game that I don't currently own a character for? Like in the opening Wizard of Oz section where you need Gollum to access the secret area?

The first level is set in Oz, and can be accessed any time. So if you buy Gollum you can access that specific secret area.

There is also a Wizard of Oz world that you can access only with the witch.

Craft

I dont know if its the case with Dimensions but in previous Lego games on WiiU yhe local coop splits the screen betwern the tv and gamepad, which makes it superior IMO.

I've got the Wii U version and I can confirm that it is the case.

It does version suffer from a terrible frame rate (single digits in some places) in the open world hubs though.
On the plus side it is the cheapest of all the current gen versions though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Should be getting shipment confirmation for Doctor Who and Unikitty shortly, in time for Tuesday's arrival.

Finally! LEGO Doctor Who is almost in my paws. The figure and builds are so cool.

I've got the Wii U version and I can confirm that it is the case.

Wii U version suffers from a terrible frame rate (single digits in some places) in the open world hubs though.

Wii U version is the cheaper of all the current gen versions though.

Thanks for your feedback... Guess the Wii U version is out for me then. Anyone here got the PS3 one or has heard things about it?

Cos if that one really isn't all that great either, then i will wait until i get a PS4 maybe sometime next year instead...

Craft

Homer Level pack for €14.99 on Amazon France, even with delivery it still works out about £10 cheaper than the UK.
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00ZWVGYD4/

Thanks for your feedback... Guess the Wii U version is out for me then. Anyone here got the PS3 one or has heard things about it?

Cos if that one really isn't all that great either, then I will wait until i get a PS4 maybe sometime next year instead...

My Plan is to somehow just get the PS4 disc down the line, or hoping that the base game is just offered as a free download when the next major update rolls around.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The first level is set in Oz, and can be accessed any time. So if you buy Gollum you can access that specific secret area.

There is also a Wizard of Oz world that you can access only with the witch.

Yeah, I meant more "how do I find these old levels?" But I noticed I could hit circle next to the portal and *poof* level select.

Is there a big open world-like region to explore? Sort of like LEGO Marvel had?

shiba5

Yeah, I meant more "how do I find these old levels?" But I noticed I could hit circle next to the portal and *poof* level select.

Is there a big open world-like region to explore? Sort of like LEGO Marvel had?

There are a bunch, but you have to have at least one character from a world to access it. So Gandalf can access Middle Earth, Wyldstyle can access Lego Movie, Batman can access DC Comics.
You have to buy a character to access the other worlds like Scooby Doo, Portal, etc...

Dr. Who Tardis Spoilers:
So what do you guys think on Jetsons and Flinstones coming to the franchise? These two are found in Mr. burns office and Simpsons Level Pack.

I'm playing the Doctor Who level. I just reached the first save point on
TRENZALORE!?!?
and this level pack is MASSIVE compared to the BTTF one, and already feels longer than the Portal 2 one and I guess I'm possibly not even half way through (judging from the number of mini kits I've found). Probably close to that, but I'd guess a third.

The TARDIS set is okay, but LEGO K9 is really close and really cute. These mini sets continue to be overall pretty impressive.

I can't wait to see what they've done with the hub world for this. I can't compare it to the Simpsons level pack as I haven't got that one, but the BTTF one remains a massive shame. So small and half of it is pretty lame. That absolutely wasn't worth $30. This one absolutely is, already, just based off the amount of Capaldi and how long the level seems to be.

A bit of that is a good deal of loading... but yeah... this is amazing. Also, the difficulty is a step up on this level pack compared to the single player so far (I've just reached the portal level in single player). Daleks don't mess around, and nor should they.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow - Portal 2 level was SHORT. But man was it fun.

I would really love future Level Packs to have longer "main levels" to complete.

JonnyKong

Man 2 months out from release and I'm still craving this game but it's just too expensive. And it's killing me because Doctor Who LEGO is a thing for the first time and it's a dream come true but not at the prices it's at in the UK. For the price of LEGO Dimensions and the DW pack alone for example (and I would obviously need the other level packs) it would got about £107 and for that price for a very small bit of plastic I could get 3 brand new games day 1. I know LEGO's expensive but this is easily the worst it's ever been.

Yes I agree with all of this completely. I'm hoping the prices will have come down a bit by the time I buy my copy post Christmas, but now I'm not so sure.

I know the Skylanders starter packs have come down pretty quickly, so fingers crossed the same happens here.

JoeM86

Man 2 months out from release and I'm still craving this game but it's just too expensive. And it's killing me because Doctor Who LEGO is a thing for the first time and it's a dream come true but not at the prices it's at in the UK. For the price of LEGO Dimensions and the DW pack alone for example (and I would obviously need the other level packs) it would got about £107 and for that price for a very small bit of plastic I could get 3 brand new games day 1. I know LEGO's expensive but this is easily the worst it's ever been.

I'm feeling exactly the same :/ I want this, especially the Doctor Who one, but it's just so expensive and I know I wouldn't stop at Doctor Who

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Doctor Who pack is WELL worth the money.

JoeM86

Doctor Who pack is WELL worth the money.

Stop it ;;

The Doctor Who pack is what will break me, I know it.

Then I'll have to get the Portal pack, Simpsons pack and Back to the Future pack. Won't get any of the Fun or Team packs though. That's where I draw the line :p

Just under £200 to do that :(

El-Suave

What, no Ghostbusters level pack?

That's coming next year. I jumped in and bought the game on PS4 yesterday. It's only €79 in Germany right now and I had a €10 coupon at one retailer. I figured for €69 I can't go wrong with this. Felt good assembling Lego's after so many years, it has probably been much more than a decade ago when I bought and played around with those.

Top Bottom