• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6- Propelling to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
w4k4Sow.jpg

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: To face off in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in whichever sets you choose (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible. If you wanna get really crazy, try making a lightbox. There's cheap and effective ways to do it! http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Start Date: 5/7/2016 2:00 EST
End Date: 6/7/2016 2:00 EST

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

The set to be used:

31047 Propeller Plane

pTRU1-22183009dt.jpg

Where do I get this set? How much does it cost?

Its $19.99 and available at LEGO.com, and most retail stores that carry LEGO products.

Its also on sale at amazon.com for $15.99

Participants and their entries: (last updated: not updated yet)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=108808629"]LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #5

[/url]

Prize Pool:
THANK YOU Chezzymann! I have toyed with bringing this back so many times but have never pulled the trigger.

I'm in, and will happily donate a prize:
MCOJ9ug.jpg

Bought the set. Here's my contribution to the prize pool. (Can ship within US).
wsMTTVX.jpg

Just picked up the set - hopefully I'll have some time to get started on my entry tonight.

My contribution to the prize pool:

Ypj1wxS.jpg

76061 - Mighty Micros: Batman vs Catwoman
76066 - Mighty Micros: Hulk vs. Ultron

Just got my set.
This is my contribution to the prize pool.
(set 75821)
Good luck to all :)

img_1403kuefy.jpg
I'm not planning on entering this MOC contest, but I have been thinking up a prize to add to the pool.

How about a full set of 2013 seasonal polybags.

UZWUAio.jpg

Many parts of this OP are shamelessly stolen by FliXFantatier and PhoncipleBone, who put together Custom Model Contests 1-5

Join the fun at LEGO GAF. Everything is awesome (except my wallet).

theaface

Great to see one of these threads back - can't believe it's been over two years since the last one!

Looking forward to seeing all of the entries. I'll have a dig around and see if there's something I can contribute to the prize pool.

I tried one of these before but it turned out I was really bad at MOCs and I came up with nothing.

Bought the set to have a go anyway!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Thanks for putting one of these together again!

I havent got the set but with the timeframe im sure ill be entering nonetheless :)

mrkgoo

Just thought I'd throw in a quick attempt, likely not my final....

Going for a Chibi-style dropship (I always like to stretch my fingers with a ship/jet) that I was inspired by a model I saw some weeks ago:

Pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

As a side note, there's not a lot of SNOT-style pieces and hinges and stuff, but I guess limitations means more imagination!

PalaceBrother: Thanks for your generosity!

mantis23

Picked this set up today so you can count me in for...well, something.

I've put together plenty of Lego sets but this is the first time I've tossed the instructions, so here is hoping I can make something decent.

iosefe

damn. i regret looking at this thread before i finished my own. good stuff mrkgoo

also, i mentioned it in the main OT, but i'll be donating an Escape the Space Slug set to the prize pool as well.

Ya I try not to look at other entries while I'm working, but still waiting for amazon to ship so it'll be at least a week before I have it.

That's a really nice ship, mrkgoo!

Blizzard

Banned
Ya I try not to look at other entries while I'm working, but still waiting for amazon to ship so it'll be at least a week before I have it.

That's a really nice ship, mrkgoo!
I guess I got lucky, they did 2-day shipping for me (but that's with Prime). It should be here within an hour now.

I guess I got lucky, they did 2-day shipping for me (but that's with Prime). It should be here within an hour now.
I have Prime too but they still seem to wait a few days on a lot of orders before actually shipping. Maybe they'll do UPS or FedEx, in which case I'll get it in a couple of days, but they have to actually ship it first!

Wow, nice to see this back, Thank you Chezzymann. I'll gladly participate, after i get home from work and buy this model.
Looking forward to seeing gaffer's creations.

Blizzard

Banned
I have Prime too but they still seem to wait a few days on a lot of orders before actually shipping. Maybe they'll do UPS or FedEx, in which case I'll get it in a couple of days, but they have to actually ship it first!
That's super strange. I've hardly ever had that if I'm ordering from Amazon themselves and not a reseller. Did you order the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" one?

Unless you're in a remote location maybe.

That's super strange. I've hardly ever had that if I'm ordering from Amazon themselves and not a reseller. Did you order the "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" one?

Unless you're in a remote location maybe.
Hawaii and ya, they do this with the sold by Amazon items. It's been 5 days since I ordered.

Ah, that'd explain it. I'm mainland U.S. We have nice shipping times but we don't live in beautiful Hawaii so it's a tradeoff. :p
Ya, I'm not complaining. It's kind of amazing that they ship here with UPS/FedEx in 2 days for free. Although I question how sustainable that practice is.

willp2003

Right, here's my effort. This was quite challenging, as I normally just build big sets and put them on display, so it was good to get the brain working!
Excuse the phone pics. Added Lobot just to show you can fit a minifig in.
F8588AEF-4C80-4539-8E8A-E6B3FDF7E6BB_zpsrjsqdp3e.jpg

Air vents at the back to help propel it (whatever this is supposed to be!)
A77FF3A6-572F-4792-BF2B-0778ECE872FA_zpsaquykus0.jpg

C64334BC-7DCE-4FDB-AFE8-3632BF8766DD_zpsbcvsx4zx.jpg

We can use as few or as many parts as we want, right? As long as it's just from a single copy of the set?
Correct, all the parts in the set are fair game, including the extra pieces that aren't used in the official main build. A picture of the MOC next to the left over pieces is standard for the entry post.

mrkgoo

i mixed my spares into my parts bin. anyone remember what they were?

You mean the extras that come with sets in case you lose them? They're usually the smallest 1x1 pieces like plates, single studs, cheese slopes, and technic pins.

Thanks for the comments about my model to You and parrot beak as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I opened the model, but it has 3 sets of instructions! I'm going to be months just building these 3 before I even start on a custom one. :p

damn. i regret looking at this thread before i finished my own. good stuff mrkgoo

also, i mentioned it in the main OT, but i'll be donating an Escape the Space Slug set to the prize pool as well.

That's a terrific donation, Iosefe!

I love the entries so far! Question though: is it kosher to use minifigs in the pics? I ask because in a prior contest a few years ago someone (ironman?) did an amazing tractor and I know the fig colored my view and influenced my vote.

mrkgoo

That's a terrific donation, Iosefe!

I love the entries so far! Question though: is it kosher to use minifigs in the pics? I ask because in a prior contest a few years ago someone (ironman?) did an amazing tractor and I know the fig colored my view and influenced my vote.

In the photography assignment threads we used to do, sometimes people bent the rules or interpreted the theme in weird and wonderful ways. I always figured it just best to let the voters vote on it. If the voters think it's ok or not, then that will influence the outcome.

For example, if you think it's big rule break, then don't vote for it and voice it. or bump it down from what you give it. In this case it's a decorative mining, not used as part of the build so I probably wouldn't let it get to me.

The idea of these contest, I assume, is more for fun and to exercise your imagination and building chops. No real need to be super hard about it.

That's my take as well. If you want to be a purist on the rules, vote accordingly, but I see no reason to officially stop people from taking liberties/being creative.

iosefe

The way i see it, the original set was built to accommodate a minifigure in all 3 forms.

you should get bonus points if your build does the same

mrkgoo

That's my take as well. If you want to be a purist on the rules, vote accordingly, but I see no reason to officially stop people from taking liberties/being creative.
Agreed.

But yeah the main rule is no bricks as part of the actual build from outside that set (including bringing in extra pieces of the same bricks)

People should be up front about what liberties they take too.

But for example, if someone can't find the set and use LDD or recreate the parts list and had a few odd colour pieces, I wouldn't be against that.

mrkgoo

The way i see it, the original set was built to accommodate a minifigure in all 3 forms.

you should get bonus points if your build does the same

I encourage all kinds of builds. So I personally wouldn't give bonuses for minifig incorporation. For the record I value quality builds over things like originality and being different , but yeah like mentio d we can all have our own criteria.

I think its fine to include a figure in the cockpit (if you have one). But it isnt fine to use the parts of the figure in the build itself (like the head, hair, accessories for detail bits or whatever). Anything besides a minifig I dont think should be allowed, though. It should be counted as part of the presentation of the build, just like nice photography/lighting is.

mrkgoo

Rummaging around with the pieces, and I kinda miss having cheese slopes...

guess those 1x2 plates with the slopes are close enough...

Skipped the last couple of entries but might be in for this - looks like an interesting set. Will try to find it today.

I hope this isn't a gateway for splurging on Lego again. I promised myself I would tone it down to sets I really love.

mrkgoo

Skipped the last couple of entries but might be in for this - looks like an interesting set. Will try to find it today.

I hope this isn't a gateway for splurging on Lego again. I promised myself I would tone it down to sets I really love.

It's possible to restrict yourself to sets you really love... It's just that Lego are at an all time high at their game - there are lots of sets you will really love!

Blizzard

Banned
The rules are, first person to post a finished official build wins, right? ;)

I'm determined to do the 3 official models before I make something custom. I only bought 1 set so there will be lots of disassembly though.

I do recommend people build this one! It's pretty solid and looks nice. The landing gear folds up.

mrkgoo

The rules are, first person to post a finished official build wins, right? ;)

I'm determined to do the 3 official models before I make something custom. I only bought 1 set so there will be lots of disassembly though.

I do recommend people build this one! It's pretty solid and looks nice. The landing gear folds up.

I love creator sets (my favourite) and in Particular, aircraft, hence why I already had this one. It's a cool little set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom