• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6- Propelling to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Lol, I was planning to upload my try, but when I saw all the amazing stuff around here I was like... nope, nope, nope.

I'll build the propeller plane and call it a day. That's a win anyway, as it looks like a very sweet set.

mrkgoo

Lol, I was planning to upload my try, but when I saw all the amazing stuff around here I was like... nope, nope, nope.

I'll build the propeller plane and call it a day. That's a win anyway, as it looks like a very sweet set.

No, no, no! You gotta upload! The only winners are those that participate and have fun! You never know what tickles people's fancy. Also, it's always a good idea to get feedback, as that's how you improve.

Az987

all good things

Ha, I had the same thought. I was kind of happy with my build and kind of not but when I saw everyone else's in here mine started looking like something a 10 year old would make haha.

Oh well, I'm still gonna upload it eventually.

NOOOO! Upload it. It is always awesome to see what people come up with. There is inspiration to be seen in everything. I always find cool and neat ideas in every MOC that people post.

Ha, I had the same thought. I was kind of happy with my build and kind of not but when I saw everyone else's in here mine started looking like something a 10 year old would make haha.

Oh well, I'm still gonna upload it eventually.
Upload away, my friend! Everything is awesome!

EDIT:
Did my first pass with the set to get to know the pieces. Made some weird Mega Man inspired murderbot. This is definitely one of the harder sets to make variations of the base set than other MOC contests, and I like that.

mrkgoo

Oh damn. That looks so much like the Locust. I need instructions for this baby! Pm me pl0x.

I don't really have instructions and I dismantled it already :(

It has a ton of sort of really flimsy parts and sort of non-standard use of parts probably couldn't make instructions anyway.

I took 3 photos and it may be my final entry at this stage. I have a shot of the rear:

EDIT:
Did my first pass with the set to get to know the pieces. Made some weird Mega Man inspired murderbot. This is definitely one of the harder sets to make variations of the base set than other MOC contests, and I like that.

Yeah when i first purchased it, and built it, it occurred to me there weren't a lot of little hinges and SNOT stuff that you can do some real neat stuff with. But as you say it's a challenge and that makes you want to go to the distance with it!

Crispy75

Close to final

c2HikvM.jpg

2vsI33E.jpg

OBmXBDS.jpg

57MUZjV.jpg

6KcOS4K.jpg

theaface

My probable entry. Race car/sports car hybrid, partially inspired by the Ferrari F40. Tried to go for a no-studs-showing look.

BD5VOdN.jpg

oYT42ox.jpg

h5TUuuk.jpg

a8jnUnB.jpg

uBvJOq4.jpg

Osahi

No, no, no! You gotta upload! The only winners are those that participate and have fun! You never know what tickles people's fancy. Also, it's always a good idea to get feedback, as that's how you improve.

NOOOO! Upload it. It is always awesome to see what people come up with. There is inspiration to be seen in everything. I always find cool and neat ideas in every MOC that people post.

You guys are right. It's the race that counts, not the win. Anyway, here's my bird thingy.

mrkgoo

You guys are right. It's the race that counts, not the win. Anyway, here's my bird thingy.
Ha, that's pretty cool. I love the quizzical expression on it. It has character!

But yeah, phonciplebone put it well: you always find something inspiring in every model. It might be the idea itself, or you might see a use of brick that you never thought to do, colour scheme .... All manners of things.

Crispy75

Really liking those photos :) I was gonna take my bird outside to take some pics of it too!

Struggling to figure out how to get my wings to fold without having to do a huge amount of rebuilding tho...

I don't have the model to hand, but I managed to get 4x 2DOF hinges out of the set.

The front wings pivot on a 1x1 round plate on the end of
59uWW4X.png
which hinges on
U59Z6wQ.png

The rear wings hinge on
GUeEXwL.png
which is connected to
baKzM3g.png
which inserts into
4y0Thi2.png
(one on each side)

You have a harder time of it though, because your wings are so much wider and heavier. I actually had to wrap a tiny strip of masking tape round the bar of the
GUeEXwL.png
in order to get enough grip.

mrkgoo

I don't have the model to hand, but I managed to get 4x 2DOF hinges out of the set.

The front wings pivot on a 1x1 round plate on the end of
59uWW4X.png
which hinges on
U59Z6wQ.png

The rear wings hinge on
GUeEXwL.png
which is connected to
baKzM3g.png
which inserts into
4y0Thi2.png
(one on each side)

You have a harder time of it though, because your wings are so much wider and heavier. I actually had to wrap a tiny strip of masking tape round the bar of the
GUeEXwL.png
in order to get enough grip.

It's awesome how you get some really creative use out of minimal hinge parts.

Crispy75

Using tape is a definite no no!

Well I could take it off and get exactly the same photos (assuming the sun comes back out again :D). It'd just be a pain in the arse to pose. Happy to do so if the referee calls for it!

EDIT: I could use a little piece of the bags the parts came in. That would be kosher I think?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm personally against tape/glue/etc. but it's not my contest. At the very least, I think it's important to mention unusual details when posting an entry, like whether you used a minifigure or external props.

*edit* I'm glad someone mentioned the Kragle. The tape reminded me of it, lol.

Crispy75

That looks like consensus. I will remove the tape :)

You won't see this in my final entry:

bSX0QiB.png

EDIT: And I've just had an idea for an improvement anyway.

mrkgoo

Oh, tape is a no (sorry ibsidntvreadvthe description close enough - I mostly looked at the pictures). Atleast one should mention it and let voters know.

It would count against for my vote at any rate.

Unit 33

So I made a Reliant Robin with a rocket strapped onto the back of it.

I call it...

RELIANT ROCKET ROBIN
Yes it has three functional wheels, it really rolls too.
Unfortunately it's probably too small for a mini figure.

elfinke

Went to Kmart to buy this set, as mentioned a page ago, but got distracted by the Technic Kart 42048 set and grabbed it instead.

Oh well, there's always next trip, lol.

This page is full of great entries, too!

iosefe

My first Lego MOC competition! I just finished reading a star wars novel so there is definitely some star wars inspiration in this.

well damn. thats so nice.

not exactly an xwing, but xwing body with tie interceptor wings/solar panels except straight up and down

ninge

Thanks for all the lovely comments :) The tire as a identification ring on the leg was a very last minute addition! I really like looking at the pile of leftover bits and thinking "hmmm, now where could this go?"

Please please keep posting stuff! I wanna see more cool builds! I love the Rocket Robin and I'm amazed anyone has managed to make a car from this set, I couldn't think of anything more original than "it's a plane... There are a lot of wing pieces... So maybe a bird? Or a spaceship?"

I'm sure there are plenty more original things to make!

mrkgoo

Thanks for all the lovely comments :) The tire as a identification ring on the leg was a very last minute addition! I really like looking at the pile of leftover bits and thinking "hmmm, now where could this go?"

Please please keep posting stuff! I wanna see more cool builds! I love the Rocket Robin and I'm amazed anyone has managed to make a car from this set, I couldn't think of anything more original than "it's a plane... There are a lot of wing pieces... So maybe a bird? Or a spaceship?"

I'm sure there are plenty more original things to make!

I want to keep playing but I can't in the next few days.

The bird is really impressive! But yeah don't be discouraged... The main point is to experiment and have fun!

Jimbro72

I still plan on posting mine. It's more or less done. I just keep looking at it and seeing if I can make any tweaks or improvements to it out of what few parts I have left. So I'll be posting mine near the end here.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Impressed by all the work in here, especially love the Mech, Bird and that cutest of cute Reliant Robin. <3
Messed around some more myself and can't seem to not make some sort of spaceship. Also made a tiny pirate boat.
My third spaceship is likely going to be my final entry; I started out with the tail and went from there. I made a simple stand for it but will not include it separately in the four pics. Will try and get better quality pics tomorrow ( Got em! Old pics: http://i.imgur.com/oeGy7gB.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/DczctJI.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/W1sOWQq.jpg / http://i.imgur.com/9qAiFGn.jpg ).
The Lobster said:

ninge

Wow! That tail is amazing! Love it :) it looks so organic, reminds me of a lobster tail! Really nice work!

The little pirate ship is cute as all heck too!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, that was what I was going for, so might as well name it after it. ^w^

Updated the pictures after moving a few pieces around and changing the attachment of the 'head' to the tail ( the head is now properly centered and the wings are now properly symmetrical ). The head and both wings are each attached to the tail by only one stud, but despite that it holds up fairly well provided you don't get too rough with it. My only annoyance is that I can't seem to get rid of the 'gap' at the end of the tail for some reason. The gap is not created by something in the build itself, so it seems like both red wing-pieces have slightly bent somehow. It sorta annoys me but it isn't the worst thing in the world so I'm not going to try and 'bend them back'.

I just realized I won't be home much in the next couple weeks and this might be my one weekend to work on this, so I rushed out this today. I'll try to do more or at least take better pics, but wanted to get something up in case I didn't get to it.

Propellor Plane Parrot

Haha thanks! But it's not my favourite personally. It's a cool idea I guess but I didn't really execute it to the quality of like. There's a lot of trickery going on. But you know, gotta try....

Effective trickery. The fact that it is so far out of the norm is what speaks to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom