• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6- Propelling to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Thanks for the comments.

Like I said I'm unlikely to go with the band kit. I'm just not happy with the build itself.

But toying around some more, here's something I do like... so maybe, just maybe.... (sorry I promise I'll consolidate my posts when I have chosen my final entry, but i am feeling this is the one):

Robot Jaguar (obviously influenced by Voltron!):
https://flic.kr/p/Hjrb6N

It's close to fully poseable (including neck, jaw, all four paws, shoulders, hip, knees, and tail), although I'm a bit gutted I couldn't find a way to make "elbows" bend:

https://flic.kr/p/HmTfxD

https://flic.kr/p/HjrahJ

Back view:
https://flic.kr/p/HmTf4c

And I sort of got it to fit a minifig (console is in the cockpit) - I say sort of because it can't close when there's someone inside:

https://flic.kr/p/GxtqNF

Edit: taking images out for offical entry below.

Thanks for the comments (not that I'm fishing for them, I just like to show builds as I go).

Like I said I'm unlikely to go with the band kit. I'm just not happy with the build itself.

But toying around some more, here's something I do like... so maybe, just maybe.... (sorry I promise I'll consolidate my posts when I have chosen my final entry, but i am feeling this is the one):

Robot Jaguar (obviously influenced by Voltron!):

-snip-

Fantastic. Voltron like. Love it.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'd almost say there should be a bonus creativity prize for you, mrkgoo. Love how you just keep coming up with new stuff. <3 Seeing the creativity from all the people here has definitely rekindled my love for LEGO. A robot dog, spaceships, a dragonfly, a mech, cars, a band kit, birds, a windmill, a tiny pirate ship, tiny tanks, a hovercraft and a solar vehicle; so many things to make with just one set, and we're not even done yet. :D

mrkgoo

Ok, making this my official entry. I've played a round a lot with this set now and there've been a few models I really like, some that probably would be more appreciated than this one, but this is the one I liked the most myself in how it was made. This has been really fun, though and the entries this time around have truly been inspiring!

I actually felt the pieces in this set were a bit more limiting than previous sets used but that has only brought out even more imagination, in my opinion! Thanks to everyone who has participated and those that have taken the time to look as well.

Took some better pictures.

Robot Jaguar:

Mostly poseable - neck, jaw, shoulders, 4 paws, knees, hips, and tail. Couldn't get the elbows to bend. Total disclosure -the model is actually a bit flimsy at parts, because I had to sort of cheat to get enough joints in. That said I didn't use all the SNOT enablers so maybe more work could be done...

Influenced by Voltron of course!

Headshot

Rear view:

Can fit a minifig...but only sort of - it can't close :p:

Unused pieces:

PS: going to go back and edit out the images of my previous post to keep things a bit cleaner.

Llyrwenne: I think it's totally fun when on a budget to keep sets intact and just play around with the one set. after building lots of stuff, you get a 'feel' for the set and what you can do. I wonder how other people approach inspiration for things like this. I look at the pieces and just think what I can do with some of the more awkward ones. Probably the main pieces I focused on were the lack of cheese slopes, but a ton of the 1x2 cheeseslope-like pieces and the larger awkward wedge shapes (which always looked like thighs to me).

Also, props to you Llyrwenne, because your technique with the grey panel with clips to the canopy is where I got that little manoeuvre from! Someone said back a bit that it's always great to see submissions, because you always learn something. So true!

edit: Bonus pic from LDD - I wanted to build it in there so I can remember how i did it after I disassemble it... had to substitute a few parts that didn't seem to be available in LDD, and modify 1 part that LDD wouldn't allow me to place (probably because parts overlap). I modified the real model to be similar - it's probably better actually.

pic

ghostmind

I'm not planning on entering this MOC contest, but I have been thinking up a prize to add to the pool.

How about a full set of 2013 seasonal polybags.

UZWUAio.jpg

mrkgoo

Darnit, how am I supposed to do an amazing shark entry when you're taking all the ideas unofficially? :p

Yeah, sorry... Couldn't help myself still playing. I think that's why we're not really supposed to post non-entries... I'll edit them out.

For me it's all about execution, though. I would love to see you take on any model, regardless!

octobot

Some amazing entries so far. Here is my more conventional entry

Main shot of Space Racer(?) with stand and unused pieces
gF1Vk1h.jpg

sbGsMA1.jpg

Cockpit with controls and seat
X6k9xev.jpg

Engine and underside detail
sY7HBwG.jpg

Jasoneyu

gF1Vk1h

sbGsMA1

X6k9xev

sY7HBwG

you may need to add the direct Imgur links for your entry.

Nice crispy, I made some final changes to my model, I need to get going on posting the final images.

Blizzard

Banned

gF1Vk1h

sbGsMA1

X6k9xev

sY7HBwG
I don't think you can embed imgur links like that -- they aren't showing up for me. *edit* Beaten already, sorry!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, those pictures not appearing here either. :(
Might want to remove two pics ( OP says "Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts." ), but I don't know how strict we're gonna be with that.

Still love it, especially love all the articulation in the wing joints and that lovely stud-less body. <3

The good news is that I finally tracked down the set a couple of weeks ago.

The bad news is that I've been flying between Phoenix, Austin, Orlando & home (Toronto) pretty much the whole time so no submission from me. This contest has really brought out some amazing entries though. Cannot wait to vote!

Jimbro72

The good news is that I finally tracked down the set a couple of weeks ago.

The bad news is that I've been flying between Phoenix, Austin, Orlando & home (Toronto) pretty much the whole time so no submission from me. This contest has really brought out some amazing entries though. Cannot wait to vote!

There is another week left in the contest. Surely you can whip up something in that amount of time!

I suppose I should get around to taking and posting pics of mine since its been done for a couple of weeks and I'm done trying to tweak it.

There is another week left in the contest. Surely you can whip up something in that amount of time!

I suppose I should get around to taking and posting pics of mine since its been done for a couple of weeks and I'm done trying to tweak it.

I thought today was the last day! Whoops.

Alright, I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Kerned

Banned
Link to the album

This is the first time I have built LEGO bricks without directions since I was a kid. It was super fun, and I'm sure I'll be doing this again on my own sometime soon.

Since I love spaceships, I wanted to build a spaceship of some sort. I set a personal challenge for myself to use every piece in the box, including spares, but to still have a cohesive and interesting design. I didn't want to slap extra pieces on just for the sake of using them. I'm happy with the results and I hope people enjoy it!

The front landing gear folds up. The model sort of fits a Minifig, but the cockpit doesn't close neatly. These pics are large, so watch yourself.

I don't have any spare pieces to take a photo of, so I made a box mockup.

mrkgoo

Link to the album

This is the first time I have built LEGO bricks without directions since I was a kid. It was super fun, and I'm sure I'll be doing this again on my own sometime soon.

Since I love spaceships, I wanted to build a spaceship of some sort. I set a personal challenge for myself to use every piece in the box, including spares, but to still have a cohesive and interesting design. I didn't want to slap extra pieces on just for the sake of using them. I'm happy with the results and I hope people enjoy it!

The front landing gear folds up. The model sort of fits a Minifig, but the cockpit doesn't close neatly. These pics are large, so watch yourself.

I don't have any spare pieces to take a photo of, so I made a box mockup.

You know, it was the first MOC contest here that propelled me back into the Lego buying scene...

Last I played with Lego was around the release of the first Star Wars Lego sets.

I'll have to take some nice photos (with different poses) and compare, but I think I may have to change my entry.

kgZ3yzD.jpg

cXIahK3.jpg

Just looking at these, I can see some bits that need tweaking, especially around the eyes and tentacles.

Whoa. That is crazy good.

I have barely done anything with the set. Too many other things going on, and haven't felt completely inspired. But the bar is still set high by so many great entries in here.

That is fantastic work.

Perhaps the work should be entitled, "Why not Zoidberg?"

mrkgoo

I'll have to take some nice photos (with different poses) and compare, but I think I may have to change my entry.

kgZ3yzD.jpg

cXIahK3.jpg

Just looking at these, I can see some bits that need tweaking, especially around the eyes and tentacles.

Lol nice! I like how there are enough of those cheese slope like pieces to make each tendril.

Blizzard

Banned
The rules are, first person to post a finished official build wins, right? ;)

I'm determined to do the 3 official models before I make something custom. I only bought 1 set so there will be lots of disassembly though.

I do recommend people build this one! It's pretty solid and looks nice. The landing gear folds up.

I finally finished the other two models. I finished all 3, winning the race. Right? Right???

If I get a custom entry created I shall post it.

Awesome stuff guys! We got less than 3 days left so if you want to make something there's still plenty of time! I'm gonna work on something today

Crispy75

Call yourselves cephalopodologists? XD

It`s a cuttlefish.

You can tell because it has 8 "arms" and 2 "tentacles"

0xzEitL.jpg

The whole head is posable. Here it is streamlined for swimming

mZeZstf.jpg

And here it is head down, feeling around for food.

ehJEShw.jpg

Cuttlefish can change their colours in amazing ways. I previously tried to repesent this with random splots of white, but it just looked ugly, so I went for this symmetrical pattern instead.

9xd4iO3.jpg

Parts left over, plus the stand I used for photos.

PO19UfF.jpg

I MEAN IT THIS TIME, THIS IS MY FINAL ENTRY.

Blizzard

Banned
I did my entire entry from scratch last night. I'm going to be super tired, but it was fun and I hope to see another of these contests in a few months!

I wanted to do something unusual, and I liked the idea of using all the parts. I think I ended up accomplishing both goals, and I used 100% of parts including the extras. I don't know that it's GOOD, but it's unusual. :p

Ancient Ones' Temple (official entry post)

temple3wbskt.png

temple1dastd.png

temple2iascp.png

temple4ddsf5.png

With no left-over parts, Kerned graciously let me use their box art template. I spent way too much time with my amateur editing skills just trying to trim the edges.

mrkgoo

I did my entire entry from scratch last night. I'm going to be super tired, but it was fun and I hope to see another of these contests in a few months!

I wanted to do something unusual, and I liked the idea of using all the parts. I think I ended up accomplishing both goals, and I used 100% of parts including the extras. I don't know that it's GOOD, but it's unusual. :p

Ancient Ones' Temple (official entry post)

temple3wbskt.png

temple1dastd.png

temple2iascp.png

temple4ddsf5.png

With no left-over parts, Kerned graciously let me use their box art template. I spent way too much time with my amateur editing skills just trying to trim the edges.

Love the little robot thing.

And cuttlefish is great. I like how the circular plate is used to form shape.

Something about these contests I love is how it ropes some people into buying Lego again long term (myself included). *evil laugh*

iosefe

Man, some great entries in here.

Official Entry: Carnival Ride. I tried to recreate a theme park ride.

Has a ticket counter, steps and turnstile.

(And it "works!").

ZZNCeIK.gif

Used a fairly small percent of the parts. Maybe I should try to create a companion merry-go-round or something.

oh my god

Mdk7

Call yourselves cephalopodologists? XD

It`s a cuttlefish.

You can tell because it has 8 "arms" and 2 "tentacles"

0xzEitL.jpg

The whole head is posable. Here it is streamlined for swimming

mZeZstf.jpg

And here it is head down, feeling around for food.

ehJEShw.jpg

Cuttlefish can change their colours in amazing ways. I previously tried to repesent this with random splots of white, but it just looked ugly, so I went for this symmetrical pattern instead.

9xd4iO3.jpg

Parts left over, plus the stand I used for photos.

PO19UfF.jpg

I MEAN IT THIS TIME, THIS IS MY FINAL ENTRY.
That is BEAUTIFUL.

Ugh I can't think of anything and I don't want to destroy the plane lol since it looks so nice. I'll try to do something tonight just to participate though. And I gotta restate this: yalls stuff is AMAZING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom