• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #6- Propelling to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishlake

Official Entry: Litten.

I was struggling for inspiration and ended up making Litten. I had to cut off the back legs since there are not enough black pieces for it but the 2 extra long ones make a great substitution at an angle. I feel I was able to capture all the main parts of it (yes cats do not need 4 legs).

KtvGYmW.jpg

Here is a side view as well. I hid the technic bits with a wing.

This was fun.
Side note that I need to get better at taking pictures.

mrkgoo

Ugh I can't think of anything and I don't want to destroy the plane lol since it looks so nice. I'll try to do something tonight just to participate though. And I gotta restate this: yalls stuff is AMAZING!

It such a fantastic little set in my eyes anyway, so I understand the hesitation to tear it down! Hope you get a chance to make something.

I picked up the sort of sister set "fast car" and it's a fantastic bunch of pieces for MOC making....

But something else struck me.... What if we made a MOC contest with a "classic" range set? They are mostly standard brick pieces of various colours. I picked a couple up as a present for my daughter and being super limited, could be really interesting. The limitations of the propellor plane set has only brought out the imagination, in my opinion!

Look forward to the voting and thanks to all those who participated, looked and donated prizes.

Crispy75

I think these Creator sets are the best fit for competitions. For a while I'd make a habit of buying one to take on holiday in case there was a rainy day (which, being UK holidays, is pretty much guarunteed!) In a way I've been training for this for years :D

Az987

all good things
Here's mine.

It's a spaceship. I tried to make it have weapons so I had to be a little inventive since there aren't any included in the set.

So the little pieces on the wings that point foward and the things on the front are supposed to be the weapons.

The piece on the back that has a hinge is supposed to alternate between a booster to make it go faster and another weapon when it's pointed forward like in the next picture.

A top view

A better look at the guns on the front. They spin.

mrkgoo

I think these Creator sets are the best fit for competitions. For a while I'd make a habit of buying one to take on holiday in case there was a rainy day (which, being UK holidays, is pretty much guarunteed!) In a way I've been training for this for years :D

Yeah they are the best, they're designed for this kind of thing! But that's where the really strange suggestions could be interesting every now and again.

Interesting to know you take set to play around with.

Since getting back into Lego I've purchased quite a few creator sets and keep them all separated....

So this is over in 5 hours right? I just want it to be over so I can stop pretending I will have some last minute inspiration.

Crap. I have been too preoccupied with work, cleaning up my LEGO mess, and other MOC ideas running through my head to properly throw my time into this contest. I have a few things made that I have pics of. I will post some soon.
It ain't pretty, but it is something.

Jimbro72

Ok, here is my entry. This contest was my first attempt at doing a MOC since about the mid 80's when I was a kid, so I was a bit rusty here. This is actually my second attempt with this set, as my first was very raw and unpolished and then I ran out of useful pieces, leaving it unfinished looking. So I scrapped it and this is what I came up, a bit of a jet/spaceship kind of hybrid, I guess. Not nearly as original as some of the ones posted here but, hey, I'm just happy I came up with something worthy of showing.

27414418652_da49b4f492_b.jpg

Side profile of it on the stand I made out of the pieces from the set.

27478852966_63a9af0682_b.jpg

Front view with a machine gun up by the nose and you can see the 2 rocket launcher bays under each of the wings.

26904114304_7c6d491dab_b.jpg

A rear view showing the engine, which this ended up being my final version of 3 different ways I had been playing around with. Yes, that is one of the wheels behind the gray cone.

27236873500_7ab48cac02_b.jpg

My final pic, a top down shot which includes the unused pieces next to it, of which there weren't too many.

27478854466_44c13b3803_b.jpg

Contest ends at 2PM eastern time, so about 11 hours from this post.

Finally got something done after having this set for a month lol. This is my first attempt, and probably my only attempt as I have school this morning.

Its a captain's section of a bridge on a star ship. Control panel and chair. I thought of a swivel chair when i looked at the propeller piece, and then i was like 'well what's it looking at', and it just kind of went from there. Hardest part was probably separating two propeller pieces that were attached to each other. My brick separator wouldn't work, ended up having to use a flossing tool to dig underneath the parts and wedge them apart lol. Also there wasn't enough pieces for me to finish the last leg on the swivel chair. Lets just say one of the legs broke and they found a pipe to replace it.

It can (barely) fit a minifigure too! Although the chairs a little big... lets just say this is little benny and his dad is letting him drive the ship while he's gone (its on autopilot don't worry)

Front/Back (back doesn't look so good but it shows more of how the control panel was constructed )

Leftovers (lots... easily over half)

Neeearly in time. I have:

The Fairground Blender

This was several hours of headache! Constantly like: why is there not ONE piece more of this. 2 arms would have been easier, but I wanted the 3.
fgb1.jpg

fgb2.jpg

The important question is of course: Will it blend? Hell yeah it does!
fgb_x.gif

The back and crank
fgb3.jpg

Closeup of the mechanism and spares. The round white plate is pressed onto the wheel(s) by gravity and rotates that way.
fgb4.jpg

Thats fine! Looks great. I'll wait for phon to get his in and then i'll start compiling a list with all the entries and i'll make some graphics for each one including a picture of the MOC, gaf name, and a title. I'll post that list here in less than 24 hours and then ask y'all if everythings right and if people want anything changed like using a different picture. Then after that I'll let y'all know when the voting thread goes up.

Stencil

Dang this is all so cool!! That Scout Mech tho...

And the blender! So many great entries. I want to enter the next one!

Dang this is all so cool!! That Scout Mech tho...

And the blender! So many great entries. I want to enter the next one!

There's definitely gonna be another one after this, not sure when but probably later this summer. I don't want it to be too frequent so that everyone can enter all the contests without spending a shitload of money on Lego per year. For example, if there was one every month people would have to spend $240 to participate in the contests. I'm thinking every 3 months would be good. So the next contest could maybe be at the beginning of august.

Awesome! I love the face. The addition of that tooth is great. And the use of tires of eyes was clever as well. You guys are really getting some mileage out of those wheels lol

Okay, no entries after this post will be accepted. Like i already said, I'll post a list tomorrow with images/names of all the entries and y'all can let me know if you want anything changed. Great job guys!

mantis23

Oh wow you guys are so much better than me! I'll still put my entry here just because it's literally the first thing I've made with Lego that didn't involve the instructions. I really wanted to make a car of sorts but as some of you have noted the lack of wheels is an issue. I think I came up with something that allowed me to get around it by making a little jack for the car with some of the remaining parts.

I call it Pit Stop:

OiK1RSd.jpg

6JoHhde.jpg

QVOW8KT.jpg

mrkgoo

What's going on with voting?

Usually a thread is made with entries compiled. I've been too busy, but it would take a fair amount effort as an image from each entry is usually posted wth links to the post.

I'm guessing it's coming. I would do it, but I just don't have the time at the moment, sorry. I do t think there's a huge rush since contests are usually months apart.

I'm about to do it, I've been really busy all week with an unexpectedly large amount of school work coming out of no where but I'll get it done today no matter what.

Sorry about the wait.

Fishlake

I'm about to do it, I've been really busy all week with an unexpectedly large amount of school work coming out of no where but I'll get it done today no matter what.

Sorry about the wait.

No problem, keep up with your work.

The pictures are not going to run off.

Kerned

Banned

Sorry about the wait.

No worries, I was just curious what was up. I was concerned that I had somehow missed the new thread.

Okay here's the list. Let me know if anythings wrong, if you were left out, or if any pictures need to be changed. Man this took a while to make lol. There were a whopping 25 entries!

I'll post the voting thread tomorrow if everything is fine.

Thanks for all your work, Chezzy!

All the links look good except for Supa Necta. Has an extra h:

hhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205960883&postcount=216

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom