• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

GwKE1.jpg

tZpmB.jpg

eD0ju.jpg

The mech has torso twist!

Definitely getting the rest of this theme.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The mech has torso twist!

Definitely getting the rest of this theme.

They look awesome. I am not into the whole space set and I will not be getting these, but they do like nice. Grats

Deefuzz

that's an epic OP. Excellent job.

Very happy to see this new thread grow and flourish. Had some great times in the old thread.

LegoGAF is the best GAF!

Deefuzz

In the end I caved and ended up grabbing the Mini Modulars and Winter Village Post Office so I could get the holiday set. I tried to make myself feel better by using VIP points to take $65.00 off.

It's going to be fun building a winter village display come December 1st!

EDIT: "Lego" in the title? C'mon son.

Funny I did almost the same thing. Did the Mini Modulars and the Winter Village Bakery, and used VIP points to take $55 off my total.

Now I just need the Post Office and the Cottage so I can build an awesome holiday display.

ghostmind

A couple new interesting elements in the Galaxy Squad sets:

hJ2Ww.jpg

I think this one is completely new, and offers new possibilities for mounting technic pics.

GXoCQ.jpg

The inverse tile is a new piece for 2013 I believe, but other sets are already confirmed to be using it (ie. Horizon Express). This one is going to be very popular.

BgNlsl.jpg

bfd7pl.jpg

My wife fell asleep before we could crack the Winter Toy Shop. Canadian football championship game is tomorrow night, so hopefully we can get started Monday.

I love this year's giveaway...I'm really tempted to spend the $20-$30 to get the two Christmas "corner" sets from last year.

BgNlsl.jpg

bfd7pl.jpg

My wife fell asleep before we could crack the Winter Toy Shop. Canadian football championship game is tomorrow night, so hopefully we can get started Monday.

I love this year's giveaway...I'm really tempted to spend the $20-$30 to get the two Christmas "corner" sets from last year.

The free set was quite nice and cute. And hey, free new model horse figure!

It almost tempted me to get the Winter Village stuff, but the more I think about it the more I think it isn't for me.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So, LEGO-GAF, I'm thinking that the kiddo and I need a Lego train this Christmas. I've wanted one since I was just a mini-bagel and my son LOVES trains. The obvious question is...which one?!

The most bad-ass choice is obviously Horizon Express (<3). But we're talking $130, plus...$100 in power function and tracks? That's...a bit much.

8037440254_9448373e5c.jpg

So Passenger Train is $130, all inclusive. I like the commuter train theme, but there ain't a lot of track there.

8610346346794448.jpg

Now Cargo Train is a little pricier, at $180, but you get more track and more assorted bits. But the train doesn't light my world on fire...

4057259_ProductDescription.jpg

Will I have a good time with the passenger train, or will I be kicking myself for not scrimping and saving and getting the glorious Horizon Express? It's just so gorgeous...But if it's just a train I want, I can get a lot of track and extras with the passenger train...

Decisions, decisions...

ghostmind

The Horizon Express won't be out before Christmas - it is scheduled to be in LEGO stores January 1st.

If you can wait past Christmas, I would get the Horizon, but if you need it before Christmas, I would find a place still selling the Maersk.

Amazon has it for $110

For track, get it from a TRU B1G1 50% or similar. I got 6 packs of track back in October for $84, which would be far more than anything in the Passenger or Cargo trains.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
The Horizon Express won't be out before Christmas - it is scheduled to be in LEGO stores January 1st.

If you can wait past Christmas, I would get the Horizon, but if you need it before Christmas, I would find a place still selling the Maersk.

Amazon has it for $110

For track, get it from a TRU B1G1 50% or similar. I got 6 packs of track back in October for $84, which would be far more than anything in the Passenger or Cargo trains.

It doesn't need to be before Christmas. And Maersk doesn't have the motor bits, either! MY kid is going to want a motorized train...

ghostmind

It doesn't need to be before Christmas. And Maersk doesn't have the motor bits, either! MY kid is going to want a motorized train...

True - then the Cargo train would be your best bet. You can always get the Horizon later and swap out the Power Functions.

Or get the Red Cargo Train 3677 from the LEGO store before the 27th - it is $128 (20% off) plus they may still have the scratch cards for an additional discount. Plus the Holiday 2012 set and a PAB box.

7sWQC.jpg

R-User!

So just make it only LEGO GAF OT 2 and nothing else? I know there were a few suggestions in the last thread for things. Honestly never thought of capitalizing all of LEGO before, but it is proper.

Are you saying that your going to take out the "Building Dreams, Demolishing Wallets" part of the thread title?

Because if so I don't think we should.

I like ghostmind's suggestion:

The LEGO Thread 2: Building Dreams! Demolishing Wallets.

No "|OT 2|" formatting needed, just the number 2 after "The LEGO Thread".

What do you all think?

R-User!

Amazon has it for $110

Was the track that you got the flexible track set with 16 flex and 8 straight? If so, how do you like the flexible track?

So, LEGO-GAF, I'm thinking that the kiddo and I need a Lego train this Christmas. I've wanted one since I was just a mini-bagel and my son LOVES trains. The obvious question is...which one?!

The most bad-ass choice is obviously Horizon Express (<3). But we're talking $130, plus...$100 in power function and tracks? That's...a bit much.

So Passenger Train is $130, all inclusive. I like the commuter train theme, but there ain't a lot of track there.

8610346346794448.jpg

Now Cargo Train is a little pricier, at $180, but you get more track and more assorted bits. But the train doesn't light my world on fire...

Will I have a good time with the passenger train, or will I be kicking myself for not scrimping and saving and getting the glorious Horizon Express? It's just so gorgeous...But if it's just a train I want, I can get a lot of track and extras with the passenger train...

Decisions, decisions...
Grab the Maersk from amazon or tru while you can. That was my first train, and damn is it sexy. I will post pics and a more thorough review tomorrow. And tomorrow I begin Diagon Alley.

ghostmind

Was the track that you got the flexible track set with 16 flex and 8 straight? If so, how do you like the flexible track?

It is functional but ugly. I bought that pack for the straight track, but I could see myself using the flex to extend curves, etc.

ghostmind

Starting on Sunday, TRU will have their B1G1 50% off sale. Excluded are Galaxy Squad, Ninjago, Technic and Games.

Be very careful regarding this deal, as TRU has been known to employ some price trickery.

Starting on Sunday, TRU will have their B1G1 50% off sale. Excluded are Galaxy Squad, Ninjago, Technic and Games.

Be very careful regarding this deal, as TRU has been known to employ some price trickery.

Urgh. I just spent way too much. Urgh.
I just bought Maersk, Diagon Alley, and R2D2. Picking up Queen Anne's Revenge on Monday. I have hurt my wallet enough.

Strangely, they didn't exclude Star Wars or Friends this time. But next sale I might jump on it for the train tracks. Maybe. Not sure if I will set up tracks. Really no space for it.

And it would not shock me for them to give some lame promo with big sets to exclude them from the sale prices.

Deefuzz

I have hardly used it. The straight track will be mainly for displaying my (soon to be) 3 trains, and if my son wants to play with them I will lay down a temporary loop or something.

I'd like to see these straight track displays. Sounds like a neat idea.

All the trains I've seen built are on the full track.

Tru sale is not live yet, but it seems to me sets are marked up more than usual right now. I don't remember them overcharging for VW camper before, but sure enough it is $130 now.

rataven

bfd7pl.jpg

Cute set. Fits in so nicely with the rest of the winter village. I would love to see Lego expand on the line with 2 or 3 different sets at different price points each year.

And the corner bonus sets from last year are pretty neat. They don't fit in with the village exactly, since they're styled as vignettes, but they look nice on their own. If you like Lego Christmas stuff, I'd say go for it. :)

wetwired

8610346346794448.jpg

Decisions, decisions...

I'd go horizon express, but that's mainly because I had a model train of that train when I was a kid :) it does have a lot of orange pieces though which is less common.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have hardly used it. The straight track will be mainly for displaying my (soon to be) 3 trains, and if my son wants to play with them I will lay down a temporary loop or something.

I used a couple of pieces of straight track with one curved piece at the front. Gives a slightly more dynamic feel to the trains.

Thinking of putting up a dedicated thin shelf just for the trains. maersk and Emerald Night definitely feel like permanent display models. And it'd free up a normal shelf for more stuff!

What is the investment to power up a Maersk or Horizon Express?

Motorised train wheels 88002 - $13.99
IR speed control 8879 - $12.99
IR receiver 8884 - $14.99
Battery box (basic one) 88000 - $12.99

Total of $54.96 at MSRP. Might be able to shave a bit off that on bricklink/eBay but prices aren't much different.

Optionally replace the battery box with a rechargeable one and AC charger for a fair bit more money (8878 & 8887 - $49.99 + $24.99)

bodine1231

I know TRU is overpriced but are there any good combinations you guys can think of to take advantage of the B1G1 50% off deal? (maybe smash the piggie bank for Death Star and SSD? or Town Hall/Pet Shop?)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Motorised train wheels 88002 - $13.99
IR speed control 8879 - $12.99
IR receiver 8884 - $14.99
Battery box (basic one) 88000 - $12.99

Total of $54.96 at MSRP. Might be able to shave a bit off that on bricklink/eBay but prices aren't much different.

Optionally replace the battery box with a rechargeable one and AC charger for a fair bit more money (8878 & 8887 - $49.99 + $24.99)

My will power is not going to stand up to this. Horizon Express is so gorgeous and I can see my son and I spending many a happy Saturday morning running the train through his Lego town. Maybe swapping out some cars to haul some cargo, picking up passengers,building increasingly elaborate setups with stations and tunnels....

Yeah, I'm not going to hold ot long... :p

Milamber

Give the polybags a try. They're all under $5.

That's where it starts, really.

First it's the polybags, "Ooh, they're cheap and they do look nice.". Then you see the Minifig bags and go "Such an iconic character, they don't cost that much, I'll have a go.". Then you realize that they start coming in pairs, "Can't have one without the other, pip pip and all that.".

Now you have amassed an unreasonable amount of them, "Oh bother, these miniscule men are a joy to peruse. It would be jolly nice if they have a small place to stay at.". Then come the small CREATOR houses. "Smashing! I got some commendable housing set up but what's this? The box states I can have up to 3 alternative dwellings? I've got to remedy that by buying more of the same sets.".

Epilogue...

You are now in your basement, depolymerizing your spare LEGO to make meth. You heat the plastic in a low-oxygen makeshift aquarium. Breaking it down into smaller molecules, which can then be distilled.

The leftover styrene can be converted into phenylacetic acid and from there phenylacetone via a reaction that uses sulfur. Phenylacetone can be reductively aminated with methylamine to form racemic methamphetamine.

You check the quality. Yes, this batch is clean. Walter would be proud. You can get mad dosh with this batch. Yes. You look to your laptop, staring longingly at the LEGO Galaxy Squad sets.

Yes, they shall be yours.

Some exerts from Lego´s financial report in 2011 if anyone is interested.

Lego is really healthy financially. That´s great.
Research and development activities
Each year, new launchings account for approximately 60% of
the LEGO Group’s sales to consumers. Therefore, the Group
has considerable development activities, comprising anything
from trend spotting and anthropological studies to the actual
development of specific products and campaigns. Approximately
140 designers from about 20 different countries make
up the creative core of product development.
Moreover, the LEGO Group cooperates with a number of educational
institutions concerning various research projects within,
among other things, children’s play and new technologies.

That´s more international than i thought :D

R-User!

Urgh. I just spent way too much. Urgh.
I just bought Maersk, Diagon Alley, and R2D2. Picking up Queen Anne's Revenge on Monday. I have hurt my wallet enough.

Strangely, they didn't exclude Star Wars or Friends this time. But next sale I might jump on it for the train tracks. Maybe. Not sure if I will set up tracks. Really no space for it.

And it would not shock me for them to give some lame promo with big sets to exclude them from the sale prices.

How about a lame promo with the train tracks:
Free Shipping when you use your R'us Card!!!

Instead of listing below the track thumbnail the BOGO50%off text they actually out the R'us Card promo there... I was looking at it in my app. Maybe it actually does qualify for the BOGO, but I don't know.

Edit: and the same Free Shipping with the use of your R'us Card text is below the Modulars as well... -_-

So bodine I don't think that you could "break the piggy bank" even if you wanted to :(

bodine1231

How about a lame promo with the train tracks:
Free Shipping when you use your R'us Card!!!

Instead of listing below the track thumbnail the BOGO50%off text they actually out the R'us Card promo there... I was looking at it in my app. Maybe it actually does qualify for the BOGO, but I don't know.

Edit: and the same Free Shipping with the use of your R'us Card text is below the Modulars as well... -_-

So bodine I don't think that you could "break the piggy bank" even if you wanted to :(

I know,I got all excited about dropping $600.00 on LEGO for nothing :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So just make it only LEGO GAF OT 2 and nothing else? I know there were a few suggestions in the last thread for things. Honestly never thought of capitalizing all of LEGO before, but it is proper.

All I'm talking about is making it LEGO instead of Lego. There should be something after like you have now, but it's your op, so you decide :) .

Top Bottom