• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

I added santa's workshop and it showed up, was still there when I deleted it. I'm not gonna order now though as I'm still getting that error, I want my double VIP dammit

The new Hobbit sets popped up overnight. $207 for Smaug... That's $30 more than Palace Cinema to put it in perspective, although PC had a strangely reasonable conversion.

Double VIP and the winter pack takes away a bit of the sting (pun not intended) though..,

Just finished Sea Cow. My god, that is beautiful. Amazing build that never felt monotonous, and so much SNOT and detail throughout. Really a class act set from beginning to end.

And 32 stud long technic cross axle? That is insane. Looking the part up online shows it has come in 17 sets so far.

This set is a treasure trove of handy pieces for MOCs, but I don't know if I can bring myself to take it apart any time soon.

Tomorrow I am debating about doing SPACESHIP!, Super Secret Police Dropship, or Sydney Opera House. Saving the Winter Village stuff for November since Santa's Workshop was dropped off today.

A couple pick-ups for today:

6nrnGbb.jpg

This one is all about the giant-sized sharks. Also these agents would make great Avengers support squad personnel.

gmIXhIf.jpg

Octopus, monkeys, spotted cow, wolf dogs, and giant ants.

Nice haul. I bought that giant sized shark within my first year of coming out of the dark ages. It's very pricey.

I opted for the brown cow. The spotted cow was much pricier. I got a few of those monkeys from the banana game when they went on clearance.

gotta get me that agents set solely for those sharks hmmm

edit: ahhhhh crap i really thought this was a new Agents set on first glance, after checking up on it i see that it's OOP :(

On a sidenote: all that talk about those SSD aftermarket prices got me thinkin... it's still available in EU Lego stores? strange...

Rootbeer

Banned
Arrrggh so much is broken on lego.com right now! I keep getting errors clicking around the site.

Why does your internet presence suck so much LEGO!

wetwired

My set of series 12 arrived, good selection of figs this time. I think the dinosaur hunters hair might make for a better dark knight rises catwoman hair too, I'll have to try it out and take a photo

Ryuuroden

Just finished Sea Cow. My god, that is beautiful. Amazing build that never felt monotonous, and so much SNOT and detail throughout. Really a class act set from beginning to end.

And 32 stud long technic cross axle? That is insane. Looking the part up online shows it has come in 17 sets so far.

This set is a treasure trove of handy pieces for MOCs, but I don't know if I can bring myself to take it apart any time soon.

Tomorrow I am debating about doing SPACESHIP!, Super Secret Police Dropship, or Sydney Opera House. Saving the Winter Village stuff for November since Santa's Workshop was dropped off today.

Yeah, it is definitely ending up in my best sets of 2014. Parisian restaurant and sea cow make this a very strong year and there are some other amazing sets too.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
OT4? LEGO GAF is best GAF confirmed.

The Toy Workshop is free on S@H today! Now I have the brilliant dilemma of having to buy something to qualify. So much lovely choice on what to buy :)

Rootbeer

Banned
OT4? LEGO GAF is best GAF confirmed.

The Toy Workshop is free on S@H today! Now I have the brilliant dilemma of having to buy something to qualify. So much lovely choice on what to buy :)

And... it's only free set 1 of 2! If you want the pair you have to make another order next month! :p

I have my next order already laid out. It will be a fairly small one, barely topping $100. Then that may be my only acquisition in Nov and Dec until the 2015 sets start hitting (aside from some out of print stuff, maybe)

--

New LDD parts update!

index.php

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101279&hl=

Rootbeer

Banned
Found the discounted firetruck at Target. Wow, the news broke about it several days ago. Shocked to see any. Granted, they are not marked as clearance on the packaging. I used a scanner to confirm the discount. Got two for less than $12.

Also, yay! This same store also had CMF for 4.49 previously. Today? Only 2.99! Where we're you three weeks ago, Target?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Is there a rumoured/confirmed end date for 10218 Pet Shop yet?

I dont mind skipping some of the others, but I would be defo keen to get it before it disappears.

ghostmind

TRU Canada ad for this Friday:

FYuWn6y.jpg

So no Rocket Raccoon poly this week - I'm thinking they may finish off Bricktober with it though.

Is there a rumoured/confirmed end date for 10218 Pet Shop yet?

I dont mind skipping some of the others, but I would be defo keen to get it before it disappears.

Buy now, ask later. :)

I will get the PetShop Nov 1st to get the exclusive XMas set 2 of 2.
I'm on the fence with Town Hall but leaning on not getting it. That shows sold out on S@H U.S. Rumor it will be retired before Pet Shop, but Pet Shop end is near too.

Speak of timing, this was just posted. No dates, but some useful info.
http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/10/lego-modulars-get-them-while-you-can/

Rootbeer

Banned
I really wish LEGO could find a way to keep a greater selection of modular buildings in production because they are the kinds of sets that should sell fairly well for many years as people advance up the LEGO food chain and into advanced sets that display very well and are versatile in how they can be used.

If some recent reports are true, very shortly the only modulars in production will be PR, PC and PS... that's not much to pick from. Even when DA comes out that's only 4.

Why not do more production runs of older modulars every so often? they could have a rotating schedule where a few times a year they do more runs of discontinued modulars.

How great would it be if LEGO re-issued Green Grocer or Cafe Corner each for 2 or 3 months next year? They could do this with each discontinued modular every so often until they release something that effectively replaces it.

I don't see how it benefits LEGO to let the secondary market reap huge paydays from discontinued sets that clearly have very high demand. If they can keep Death Star in print there's really no reason they can't come up with something.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

I'm on the fence with Town Hall but leaning on not getting it. That shows sold out on S@H U.S. Rumor it will be retired before Pet Shop, but Pet Shop end is near too.

Yeah, thanks for that- far too many enablers in this thread :p

I will be ordering again for the second holiday set though so I reckon i'll be biting the same time as you. Got to get something for my xmas!

Rootbeer

Banned
loving this lineup... a lot. Finally DC is on their game. I hope they can sustain the quality as well as Marvel.

I am PUMPED for an Aquaman movie. I believe it has so much potential. Just the thought of a sprawling epic where most if it takes place under the ocean, and imagining what that might look like... it could be breathtaking. I hope they can do it justice.

And yes, I think a Green Lantern reboot is definitely in order to better establish it within their new film canon. Despite how the first one panned out, my excitement for the lantern corps has not diminished and I'm hoping it turns out much better this time around. Marvel was able to do it with Hulk, DC should have the chance to redeem GL.

i guess if there's one think I'd like to see different it would be a new Swamp Thing film... but... it's probably too early for that ;) I'd love to see them come out strong with Swamp Thing and blow everyone's expectations away, sort of like how Marvel did with GotG.

And they are making Fantastic Beasts into THREE films? Hot damn... I know nothing about that book, never imagined it had that much material in it.

WB is THIRSTY for that Harry Potter money.

As a bookend to my commentary it occurs to me that we may be reaching critical mass as far as what the public at large is able to withstand when it comes to superhero films and tv shows. As far as I'm concerned, they probaby couldn't make enough if they tried. But for everyone else? I am really worrying about burnout with Marvel and DC *both* pushing up to 3 or more films per year.

So is the second holiday set offered all through November? Or will it be another Black Friday deal?

I just placed a S@H order last night for the last three seasonal builds (turkey, etc), a set of six ornaments, a Duplo gift for a friends's son and the cheapest Agents set to push me over $100.

And, wow, how did the minifigures already sell out?!

ghostmind

For fans of licensed themes, here's a planning guide for LEGO purchases in the next 5+ years:

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies (11/17/14)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (05/01/15)
Jurassic World (06/12/15)
Minions (07/10/15)
Ant-Man (07/17/15)
*The Fantastic Four (08/07/15)
Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15)

*Deadpool (02/12/16)
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (03/25/16)
Captain America 3 (05/06/16)
*X-Men: Apocalypse (05/15/16)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (06/03/16)
Doctor Strange (07/08/16)
Suicide Squad (08/05/16)
Ninjago (09/23/16)
*The Sinister Six (11/11/16)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (11/18/16)
Unititled Star Wars Movie (12/16/16)

*Untitled Wolverine Movie (03/03/17)
Untitled Marvel Movie (05/05/17)
LEGO Batman Movie (05/26/17)
Justice League (06/23/17)
Despicable Me 3 (06/30/17)
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (07/07/17)
*The Fantastic Four 2 (07/14/17)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (07/28/17)
Untitled Marvel Movie (11/03/17)
Wonder Woman (11/17/17)
Star Wars: Episode VIII (12/15/17)

Aquaman (03/23/18)
Untitled Marvel Movie (05/04/18)
The LEGO Movie 2 (05/25/18)
Untitled Marvel Movie (07/06/18)
*Untitled X-Men Movie (07/20/18)
The Flash (07/27/18)
Untitled Marvel Movie (11/02/18)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2 (11/16/18)
Untitled Star Wars Movie (12/14/18)
*The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (TBA 2018)

2019 (partial)
Shazam (04/15/19)
Untitled Marvel Movie (05/03/19)
Another LEGO Movie??? (05/24/19)
Justice League 2 (06/14/19)
Star Wars: Episode IX (12/13/19)

2020 (partial)
Cyborg (04/03/20)
Green Lantern (06/19/20)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 3 (11/20/20)

* this movie is not likely to have a LEGO connection, but anything is possible
** this also does not include Disney/PIXAR animated movies
*** and finally this does not include movies that I don't know about, or that LEGO will license as a new partner

loving this lineup... a lot. Finally DC is on their game. I hope they can sustain the quality as well as Marvel.

I am PUMPED for an Aquaman movie. I believe it has so much potential. Just the thought of a sprawling epic where most if it takes place under the ocean, and imagining what that might look like... it could be breathtaking. I hope they can do it justice.

And yes, I think a Green Lantern reboot is definitely in order to better establish it within their new film canon. Despite how the first one panned out, my excitement for the lantern corps has not diminished and I'm hoping it turns out much better this time around. Marvel was able to do it with Hulk, DC should have the chance to redeem GL.

i guess if there's one think I'd like to see different it would be a new Swamp Thing film... but... it's probably too early for that ;) I'd love to see them come out strong with Swamp Thing and blow everyone's expectations away, sort of like how Marvel did with GotG.

And they are making Fantastic Beasts into THREE films? Hot damn... I know nothing about that book, never imagined it had that much material in it.

WB is THIRSTY for that Harry Potter money.

As a bookend to my commentary it occurs to me that we may be reaching critical mass as far as what the public at large is able to withstand when it comes to superhero films and tv shows. As far as I'm concerned, they probaby couldn't make enough if they tried. But for everyone else? I am really worrying about burnout with Marvel and DC *both* pushing up to 3 or more films per year.

I think it's way to early to say Warner Bros is on their game with DC movies.
Man of Steel was OK, but I hardly would put it on par with the Marvel movies. I have extremely low expectations on Superman v Batman so I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I don't like the tone they are setting for the DC universe.

I am happy they are making all those movies, but I have low expectations. I really hope they do them justice (see what I did there).

TV on the other hand, I think Warner Bros has been doing a very decent job.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh you are right they have yet to prove themselves in terms of the quality of output. I wasn't meaning in that way. But in terms of a lineup? I think it is strong.

Man of Steel was borderline bad depending on who you ask (for me though it was a solid B), they have a lot riding on how things pan out from here. Thankfully for them they have Marvel to emulate so it makes their path a little clearer in what they have to do.

neonglow

So is the second holiday set offered all through November? Or will it be another Black Friday deal?

I just placed a S@H order last night for the last three seasonal builds (turkey, etc), a set of six ornaments, a Duplo gift for a friends's son and the cheapest Agents set to push me over $100.

And, wow, how did the minifigures already sell out?!

The second holiday set is only available for 3 days during Brick Friday. It may be made available if you get invited to those VIP appreciation meetups they do every year. That happens a week before Brick Friday an hour before the actual stores open.

Rootbeer

Banned
3X VIP is either sea cow or sand crawler, i'd have to think on it very carefully.

sea cow may be the better build and arguably with better elements, but sand crawler resonates more with me emotionally :)

neonglow

3X VIP is either sea cow or sand crawler, i'd have to think on it very carefully.

sea cow may be the better build and arguably with better elements, but sand crawler resonates more with me emotionally :)

Even though both aren't gonna go OOP for a long time, I have a feeling Sea Cow will retire before the Sand Crawler. I'm projecting at least 4 years for the Sand Crawler since it will be the biggest Star Wars set after the Death Star retires.

Ponn

Banned
Please tell me this is referencing the DnD episode from the last series!! (of the new series :])

You know it.

Come to think of it, with that Hun warrior cmf could probably do raph like that too.

If they do Triple VIP on BF I may have to find a way to pull the trigger on either Sea Cow or Tumbler if it comes back in stock.

I really wish LEGO could find a way to keep a greater selection of modular buildings in production because they are the kinds of sets that should sell fairly well for many years as people advance up the LEGO food chain and into advanced sets that display very well and are versatile in how they can be used.

If some recent reports are true, very shortly the only modulars in production will be PR, PC and PS... that's not much to pick from. Even when DA comes out that's only 4.

Why not do more production runs of older modulars every so often? they could have a rotating schedule where a few times a year they do more runs of discontinued modulars.

How great would it be if LEGO re-issued Green Grocer or Cafe Corner each for 2 or 3 months next year? They could do this with each discontinued modular every so often until they release something that effectively replaces it.

I don't see how it benefits LEGO to let the secondary market reap huge paydays from discontinued sets that clearly have very high demand. If they can keep Death Star in print there's really no reason they can't come up with something.

At least originally, the modulars were created to use only current pieces and not require a bunch of specifically made molds or colours. So once the mainstream sets go out of production, Lego can only put together sets until they run out of those parts. I'm assuming that they have modulars in the pipeline along with whatever else they're doing, so they know what pieces will be available.

That's why you're seeing pieces like the dark red slopes and the printed brown tiles in Café Corner and Green Grocer (2007-2008), both used in Viking line (2005-2007), the globe in Town Hall (2012) from PotC (2011) as well as many then current CMF parts, the dark blue arches in CC and MS which were in two Bionicles sets in the previous years, and doors in Market Street (2007) which were last used in Spongebob Squarepants (2006).

I guess you could say that Lego sits down and goes: ok, we have 20000 of these windows and 10000 of these doors left after those lines ended. Let's make a building that uses two windows, one door and produce 10000 of them, and we're rid of them.

Then of course you get situations like with the LBG turntables which are a simple enough piece and should be a common colour, but they were only used in nine sets between 2004 and 2011 and most of them only has one. And since three of the sets are CC, Diagon Alley and Queen Anne's Revenge, it's not like people will tear those down to sell the parts.

Occasionally Lego makes a point of reproducing popular and rare parts if they see a need for it again. They specifically mentioned having the dark blue arches back in Winter Village Market, the Sea Cow returned the expensive riggings and it seems that the new pirate ship will give us the brown pillars. I don't think they really appreciate the ridiculous second hand prices for some parts, but they can't just make more out of charity.

Krilekk

Banned

It benefits them because it makes every new set sell out pretty fast. They can release pretty much anything and it will sell because prices skyrocket after a $150+ set goes OOP. If there was always a chance to get a set overall sales would be where they were ten to fifteen years ago. Instead they became the best selling toy company in the world.

And the only reason why the DS is still around is probably all those basic pieces. And because it's so expensive. I wouldn't even be surprised if they never produced a new series since two years because they are just sitting there and collecting dust. It does look kinda dated when you see it in person, very old school LEGO and not much in terms of unique building methods from what I could tell. And it's almost too big to put anywhere.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish I had more insight into LEGO's process. It would have informed my thoughts much more before I posted that. The argument for part selection makes sense. Irritating but still sensible!

Will their new factory help on that sort-of thing?

Lego doesn't keep parts around if they're not using them in multiple current parts. Even if they can produce more, there's no benefit for them to have huge warehouses of parts that might possibly be used later on.

I'd assume such a business has spreadsheets of everything they're producing and the needed parts for everything, so they can produce only what's needed the next few months. That's probably also why they can't turn around and make another bunch of Research Institutes, if they need a few parts they either don't have in stock or that are (more likely) already booked for other sets. It's like our parts bins but on a much larger scale. Sure, they can take this part out of 10000 planned Friends sets to make more Ideas sets, but then what do they do with the other 300 parts in those 10000 Friends sets?

Looking to see other people's experiences in which Series 12 CMF minifigs are in demand.

By far, the Spooky Girl is the hardest to find (lowest # when I search). In my 5 visits to the LEGO store, I went through the equivalent of about 2 boxes each time. One trip, there were 0 spooky girls in a completely filled display case (~2 boxes). There are usually only 2-3 when I got through the case.

Sure it's understandable there wouldn't be many Spooky Girls, but there are 7 minifigs that only have 3 per box. So far, I have always found a decent number of them on each trip. The Prospector and Lifeguard are always numerous.

The Swashbuckler is by far the most abundant minfig every single time I've looked.
I think they could have bumped up the Huns by 1 and reduce Swashbuckler by 1 at least. Even compared to the other two 5 per box CMFs (Space Miner and Video Gamer), Swashbuckler was everywhere.

Granted, there's a lot of randomness because not everyone is a groper, but statistically speaking those that pick randomly would likely grab those pesky Swashbucklers.

My guess it Spooky Girl and Piggy Guy will be the most sought or highest priced series 12 CMFs once they are all gone. Oh, and the Hun too.

14831006487_2c4a1b46fd.jpg

General Statistics for 71007 LEGO Minifigures - The LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 12 by WhiteFang (Eurobricks), on Flickr

The animal mascots are always nice additions to the CMF family. If we never get a LEGO zoo, I hope we get lots and lots more animal mascots. I wanna see a giraffe. :)

Our furry animals get a new addition by WhiteFang (Eurobricks), on Flickr

ghostmind

UCS TIE Fighter for May 2015? Or will it be a TIE Bomber?

Hmm... that would mean the S.H.I.E.L.D./Avengers Helicarrier would likely be later in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom