• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem

Wait a minute. Does Winter Soldier actually have a "gun" gun?!?

LA2ZWYl.jpg

CZ Skorpion looks like (he used one in Winter soldier)

Prison Island looks cute indeed what with all the escape routes and possibilities. Lots of nice little things but still definitely a playset, so not for me really :(

As far as looks go, obligatory point deduction from me for the tons of BURPS there. But that's probably CITY minimalism for you so....

robochimp

I just finished up the Kwik-E-Mart, I really enjoyed it. The stickers weren't that bad, thankfully the main sign stickers were printed to be as wide as the piece they were being put on.

So is the mouse/rat and corresponding mouse hole a certain designer's signature. Pet Shop has one too?

Osahi

Woohoo, I was able to find an AT-DP and AT-AP locally via craigslist for $95 total! Now I'm looking for the rest of the "AT-" sets, but it feels kinda funny paying over retail since most of the stuff I've been buying has been with some sort of discount up to now. But the markups aren't too bad, so I can stomach it.

Hope you are right about the AT-OT, as I'm definitely not paying ~$500 for the AT-OT&Transport set!

How do you guys handle acquiring retired sets? Bite the bullet and the mark ups? Patiently lurk craigslist for a deal? Or just swear off anything retired?

Enjoy the At Ap. It is brilliant. I'm just like you, I love walkers (was really bumped out about the lack of one in TFA, especially because it ment no Lego version of it too)

As to your question: i don't go aftermarket. When it is gone, it is gone. I'd love an at ot, but for that price you can buy so many nice sets at rrp it is just not worth it for me.

Turnbl

Just flicking through the Great Lego Sets book I got for crimbo.

Does anyone know what the yellow #374 Fire Station (UK) set might be worth? (just bricks & instructions). eBay is currently bare.

Wanderer5

Enjoy the At Ap. It is brilliant. I'm just like you, I love walkers (was really bumped out about the lack of one in TFA, especially because it ment no Lego version of it too)

As to your question: i don't go aftermarket. When it is gone, it is gone. I'd love an at ot, but for that price you can buy so many nice sets at rrp it is just not worth it for me.

Well the FO AT-AT or whatever it could be called was shown briefly.:p
Probably will get some action next movie, similar to the AT-AT being first shown in Ep.5 heh.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
There is an upcoming Creator Lighthouse set, 31051, that will be out this summer.

If you want one now, and don't mind paying aftermarket prices, you can get 5770 Lighthouse Island.

nAHZLJf.jpg

I have this one, and I love it so much. It looks great in person.

edit: Dear lord, that brick-built Giant-Man. I might need that set.

teeny

I need that Giant Man in my life but really do not care for the rest of that set. I might get it anyway depending on price.

Reserved The Ghost at Toys R Us this morning but received a call from them saying their stock alert on the website was wrong :( it seems I'll always be out of luck. I need to move on methinks.

It's going to be bitter sweet when I get the micro fighter version.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I need that Giant Man in my life but really do not care for the rest of that set.

No one does :D It's a typical case of Lego filling up a perfectly fine medium sized minifig & scenery set with random vehicles to jack up the price, as they always do with superheroes sets :<

I'm afraid it will be quite expensive.

Does anyone else have a bunch of unopened polybags? They keep adding up while buying from S@H and I keep saving them (mostly) since they tend to become expensive. But that means you have to sell them to begin with, and I rarely can be bothered to do that...

Let's see:

40034 (Xmas train set)
40057 x 2 (autumn set)
30213 (Gandalf)
Winter Soldier
30215 x 5 (Legolas, I figured I should grab a bunch of extra elf hairpieces just in case - this damn bag is still around!)
BR Lego Minifigure x 6 (I thought this would become rare, but BR are still trying to sell off their stock years later)
40106 (mini Santa's Workshop from 2014, I built one for a desk display, kept the other)
40109 (mini Mini Cooper)
40079 (mini VW Camper)
40108 (balloon cart)
30259 (Azari Elves promo)
Jor-El
30282 (Super Secret Police Enforcer)
40140 (flower cart)
2015 pirate minifigure set
30293 (Ninjago promo)

Some of these could make for nice gifts I guess. It's not very often they're actually any good for parts.

I also got two neat older sets: 5619 (Mars Mission) and 5618 (fantasy era Castle). They come in awesome little boxes which are almost collectible in themselves.

leng jai

Is there any reason why Battle of Takodana is so expensive? $90AUD is obscene for that, looks like it's worth $50 even taking into account SW tax.

Thanks all for confirming that the "burn out" I'm feeling isn't a unique thing. I'm going to take some time off, work through the backlog when I feel like it and see where that takes me.

Does anyone else have a bunch of unopened polybags? They keep adding up while buying from S@H and I keep saving them (mostly) since they tend to become expensive. But that means you have to sell them to
begin with, and I rarely can be bothered to do that...

Yep.

So dumb. I buy two of pretty much every polybag and they all just end up in these stupid shoeboxes.

Ugh I think I'm roped into Nexo Knights. It's like a sci-fi Army of Darkness and I love it. Is the Fortrex worth the $100 to anyone who has it?

I do not want to think about all the unopened polybags I have over the years, some I have had for years and can't be bothered to open.

Ugh I think I'm roped into Nexo Knights. It's like a sci-fi Army of Darkness and I love it. Is the Fortrex worth the $100 to anyone who has it?

I'm pretty much uninterested in the sets but I feel like I need to have the knights, at least Macy and Aaron to begin with.

I would really like to see more characters eventually (black knight, purple knight, super macho pink knight (come on Lego, break those norms!)), but I fear this will be the same old Ninjago thing all over again, and we'll be buying Clay's Superfantastic Ultrajet in 2019.

That's one thing that Chima did well, although I've read that it was an actual flaw for Lego. Kids didn't get the characters specifically so they never wanted them all - maybe the cast was simply too big. But I liked how there were actually five-six characters in each tribe, at least before they streamlined it with the fire-ice thing.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Went by the Milton Keynes, UK LEGO store today. It's probably the smallest of the UK LEGO stores now and it shows - Banks and GB HQ had sold out after a few hours (or scalped, it wasn't clear...), and most of the new SW sets were gone, etc.

However I did pick up the new Batmobile. Now, I've collected all the DC sets pretty blindly - I am 100% in on the theme and save for the SDCC exclusives have the lot. But this new one is great, a nice build, chunky but also very sleek. Also a nice taster for Dawn of Justice.

ghostmind

Speaking of Nexo Knights... this summer will see Jestro's Lava Castle (placeholder name?), and while it is not a volcano proper, it will have volcanic elements and is BIG (think Chima's Lion CHI Temple in size).

And much like Ultra Agents, I am really digging the villains for this theme, and will be getting the evil sets first.

Jimbro72

Thanks all for confirming that the "burn out" I'm feeling isn't a unique thing. I'm going to take some time off, work through the backlog when I feel like it and see where that takes me.

Yep.

So dumb. I buy two of pretty much every polybag and they all just end up in these stupid shoeboxes.

I know this feeling all too well. I have dozens and dozens of polybags unopened. I had duplicates of many until I decided it was time to thin that part of the collection and sold maybe 15-20 of the dups earlier this fall and other freebie ones I didn't even want in the first place. It's the same thing with the seasonal sets like the animals and the little scenes. Bought 2 of all those the past 2 years. Sold those dups, too. From now on, I'm going with just one of each. No more dups this year and being a little more selective with what I buy, especially with the City sets. But in the end, I'm sure it'll be another 100+ sets purchased this year.

Jimbro72

I really need the Balloon Cart and Hot Dog vendor polybags for my carnival.

Damn, wish I had known 3 months ago before I sold my spares of both. I debated on keeping them but ultimately decided having one of each was enough even of they are some of the better freebie promos they've had the past couple of years.

Ponn

Banned
Speaking of Nexo Knights... this summer will see Jestro's Lava Castle (placeholder name?), and while it is not a volcano proper, it will have volcanic elements and is BIG (think Chima's Lion CHI Temple in size).

And much like Ultra Agents, I am really digging the villains for this theme, and will be getting the evil sets first.

That sounds like it could be amazing. Hopefully its not too disjointed and gimmicky. Some nice possibilities of combining with the rumored volcano/lava research sets.

Worked at Lego for the first time in 2 weeks today so I was able to check out all the Nexo Knights sets. I'm torn because I feel like over-all the theme is a mess, but there are little things (bad guys, new pieces, a couple interesting smaller builds, the fact that it's using Ice Planet colors) that make me like it. I'm reasonably sure I'm not gonna escape unscathed, I'm absolutely gonna buy the King's Jaeger-- err, King's Mech, and I really like the.. Ash something? baddies? Luckily they come in the $9.99 sets with the nameless soldiers. And I want Moltar too cause he's legit as hell. And the Book of the Dead.

Sigh.

Bought the Ghostbusters Firehouse today though!!! Biggest Lego set I've ever owned by a laaaaarge margin (think the only thing that comes close that I own is Town Hall). I have no idea where I'll find the space to assemble it or how long it'll take but I'm excited!!! Got to use our full discount too, was worried it wouldn't make the deadline.

Is there any reason why Battle of Takodana is so expensive? $90AUD is obscene for that, looks like it's worth $50 even taking into account SW tax.

RIGHT? We were talking about this at work today, there was one left and it's fricking $60 here in the US and it's 409 pieces. That's some insane license tax right there. $45, even $50 I'd understand, it's got a couple unique moulds for the Minifigs, and it's licensed. $55 would be pushing it but $60 is absolutely ridiculous.

TheFuzz

Call it a hunch, but I'd almost bet money that mystery "park fountain" polybag is a giveaway for the Lego Creator Expert Playground that is rumored for this summer..

Almost.

3N16MA

Banned
Visited the LEGO store today and decided to jump into Star Wars UCS sets. Grabbed the Red Five X-Wing just before they are completely gone (may have grabbed the last one).

I was planning on just getting the play sets but the call of the UCS was too strong. Now onto all the other UCS sets.

Also GB HQ is a beast and seemed to be flying off the shelf (the box is massive). BB looks fantastic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Visited the LEGO store today and decided to jump into Star Wars UCS sets. Grabbed the Red Five X-Wing just before they are completely gone (may have grabbed the last one).

I was planning on just getting the play sets but the call of the UCS was too strong. Now onto all the other UCS sets.

Also GB HQ is a beast and seemed to be flying off the shelf (the box is massive). BB looks fantastic.

UCS X-Wing is a wonderful set. Just know you are obligated by law to pick up the UCS Tie Fighter within 1 calendar year to go with it.

Your Lego store has the Red 5 X-Wing? Gah mine is sold out :(

Jestro's Evil Mobile is fantastic. I need to finish Fortrex still, but I feel the villains winning this theme for awesomeness.

UCS X-Wing is a wonderful set. Just know you are obligated by law to pick up the UCS Tie Fighter within 1 calendar year to go with it.

Seconded. UCS dogfights or bust!

And all this love for brick built Giant Man on this page fills my heart with glee.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I'm gonna be buying at least one Lego set tomorrow. Maybe more. Is there any consensus yet on the best Nexo Knights set(s)? I want at least one set from that theme. It seems pretty fun.

Kipp

Jestro's Evil Mobile. Easy recommendation.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. I mean, I don't dislike it, but it doesn't really grab me. I'll certainly give it some heavy consideration though.
Right now I'm leaning towards grabbing the two mechs first.

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of how it looks. I mean, I don't dislike it, but it doesn't really grab me. I'll certainly give it some heavy consideration though.
Right now I'm leaning towards grabbing the two mechs first.
It has a small brick built demon, and the mobile has a moving jaw mechanism and two catapults in it. It is badass.

I still need to get the mechs myself though.

boltz

Found an AT-TE locally for $120, which I'd consider a reasonable markup, so I may have one of those pretty soon. But yeah, the AT-OT is off the table until Lego releases another one.

Well the FO AT-AT or whatever it could be called was shown briefly.:p

Probably will get some action next movie, similar to the AT-AT being first shown in Ep.5 heh.

Who, good catch, never noticed that at all. But it looks like it is missing its head as there are just some tubes coming out of the body.

Congrats, was at the San Diego store and they still had a few left. Was really tempted, but after seeing TFA, I have a more burning desire to get Poe's x-wing than the Red Five.

Kipp

It has a small brick built demon, and the mobile has a moving jaw mechanism and two catapults in it. It is badass.

I still need to get the mechs myself though.

Tempting indeed. I'll make my final decision when I hold the box in my hands. That usually helps.
If I'm lucky, TRU will have the sets built and on display and that will make my decision way easier.

Rootbeer

Banned
target has jestro's evil mobile and battle of takodana $10 off retail. Not sure if it is a pricing error or just Target being Target.

none are in stock on target.com so check your local stores.

TheFuzz

So I'm gonna be buying at least one Lego set tomorrow. Maybe more. Is there any consensus yet on the best Nexo Knights set(s)? I want at least one set from that theme. It seems pretty fun.

I down own any yet... But since you like Ningago, it seems to me that the King's Mech would be the best defense against a fire-breathing dragon, no?

i want the king's mech, myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom