• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Weevilone

Well the rumor is it's $700 and as how awesome this set is likely to be, especially if it's a decent upgrade over the original, I can see this being only geared towards scalpers and hardcore fans. $700 for a LEGO set is a lot to ask someone to put out for. I think they're going to be in short supply too initially because of that price tag just to play it safe.

And at least some subset of those hardcore has a wife around that will say NOPE.

There's no sneaking around with a $700 Millennium Falcon.

Wait, you bought all of those and haven't built ANY of them yet?

That's right! They've all arrived at my doorstep in the last 3 weeks or so. They are starting to fill up the space in my storage room FAST. Still waiting for the Super Star Destroyer to arrive --- betting that box is enormous. Also grabbed the Saturn V and Space Shuttle before this binge ends.

I have no idea where to start ---- if I was going to pick one to start with and convince my wife that this new hobby has a shred of sanity & maturity to it, which should I go with??? Bear in mind t hat she is a Star Wars fan as well, so at least I have that going for me.....

Koren

Guys, the current value of 10179 is >$3000. If you think that there won't be demand at $700, think again
There will be demand at $700, like there probably would be at $1000. The question is: how much?

Yes, the 10179 sells at $2000, but
- it's forever a limited edition
- about 20 sets a year on Bricklink, and I'd believe they represent a good % of total sales
- I suspect most of those sales are for speculation

Lego would sell it at $700, but they probably would sell 10 times more at $500. I think it *can* be priced too high.

The set will be available until the end of the sequel trilogy. Guaranteed.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't, but without an official statement, it'll always be guesses, so the rush will probably be real.

DonShula

That's right! They've all arrived at my doorstep in the last 3 weeks or so. They are starting to fill up the space in my storage room FAST. Still waiting for the Super Star Destroyer to arrive --- betting that box is enormous. Also grabbed the Saturn V and Space Shuttle before this binge ends.

I have no idea where to start ---- if I was going to pick one to start with and convince my wife that this new hobby has a shred of sanity & maturity to it, which should I go with??? Bear in mind t hat she is a Star Wars fan as well, so at least I have that going for me.....

Death Star gives me max nostalgia. I'd go with that.

Weevilone

I recommend starting with Saturn V and watch Apollo 13 with her while building it.

Haines

Banned
Finally finished creator island adventures plane build with the kiddo and his great grandpa

Loved it for a simple little set.

Ponn

Banned
I know I received a sort of hail mary on me being able to get the UCS Falcon but i've been thinking hard on it and I actually think i'm going to pass for now. I would feel bad having my family spend that much right now because i'm afraid they may have to be helping me out real soon was an upcoming surgery and recovery. And quite frankly i'm more excited for Ninjago City and Destinys Bounty than the UCS Falcon, I know that probably sounds weird to many and I do love Star Wars.

Even if I had the money for the falcon I wouldn't have anywhere to display it. At least the destinys bounty can be crammed into my night stand

willp2003

fluffernutter I'd build assault on hoth first and get it out of the way. It will probably be the least impressive looking.
I really hope a new UCS ISD will get released at some point as I missed that one (amongst others), but that might depend on how well the new falcon sells, as I imagine that would be a similar price if ever released.

Score! One Tower Bridge for around $120 bought. They had two more but I'm stretching my budget as it is. I've kind of had plans for a tan MOC so this will come in handy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There was a UCS AT-AT? I have the motorised walking one so can’t imagine how big a UCS would be.

Aside from the MF, I think the only UCS SW set I really regret missing is Tantive IV.

There was a UCS AT-AT? I have the motorised walking one so can’t imagine how big a UCS would be.

Aside from the MF, I think the only UCS SW set I really regret missing is Tantive IV.

No, the UCS AT-AT was a LEGO CuuSoo/IDEAS submission by cavegod which was never produced. I have the ldd file if anybody wants it.

I have the Tantive IV (10198). I think its definitely inferior to 10019.

I have this really silly thing I do whenever looking at books or products in stores where I imagine them having a theme song, but I try and figure out what song they would be patterned after. For instance, the Nicholas Sparks book The Longest Ride would have a theme song set to the tune of Billy Joel's Longest Time.

But looking at the LEGO Friends Sunshine Catamaran, it suddenly occurred to me that its theme song would be set to Dio's Sunset Superman. Sure, I know Catamaran has an extra syllable, but it would still work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I sold my sopwith camel, 8043 excavator,:and 4x4 crawler I could probably get around £400 towards the falcon. I think I’d be ok without those sets which would keep me focused on OT SW and a sideline of creator vehicles, ideas sets, and some architecture

Might try again on bricklink otherwise I don’t think I can justify MF even to myself.

iuuk

Just received my haul;

b8g4iZi.jpg

Paid around RRP for Grievous (€30), but seeing that it's OOP I'd rather buy it now than find out I like these sets and pay way above RRP later.

I guess now I have to follow the advice and build the Speeder. I hope you guys are right about how great it is.

Crispy75

UK people: I was just in a big Sainsbury's (Clapham High Street) and more than half the Lego was discounted by 25-35% No big setsbut lots of medium ones.

DonShula

Scuttler finished. Definitely on my favorites list now. Amazing set hampered only by the got dang stickers.

Poison Ivy figure is great also.

ghostmind

Some pretty early rumors, but worth mentioning.

UCS Falcon is looking more like $800 than $700, but we'll know definitively in 12 days.

70922 Wayne Manor, from the LEGO Batman Movie, is coming sooner than expected, As soon as October possibly, and it's looking like a $350 set.

Also a surprise is a large Creator Expert set, number 10256, which also looks to be around $350. Is this the next modular, or something else...?

Jimbro72

LEGO going all in on these super high dollar sets now. Seems only a few years ago there may be 1-2 in the $300+ range per year, now it's practically every month something huge is being released.

UCS Falcon is looking more like $800 than $700, but we'll know definitively in 12 days.

70922 Wayne Manor, from the LEGO Batman Movie, is coming sooner than expected, As soon as October possibly, and it's looking like a $350 set.

Also a surprise is a large Creator Expert set, number 10256, which also looks to be around $350. Is this the next modular, or something else...?
Guess Wetwired will just put it on top of his cave.

Oh come on I I need a break LEGO.

Good lord. This year has already been brutal, then they dump all that at the end? Savage.

Ponn

Banned

Yea, I think i'm definitely putting a pin in getting the UCS Falcon now.

Make a mortgage payment or drop $700 on LEGO. The adult road is a bumpy one.

Plum

If the MF's £750 then I'm not sure. That's absolutely insane.

Curious about the Expert. My guess is another real life building. $350 is a bit much for a modular, especially since Assembly Square only just came out.

ghostmind

If the MF's £750 then I'm not sure. That's absolutely insane.

Curious about the Expert. My guess is another real life building. $350 is a bit much for a modular, especially since Assembly Square only just came out.

The next modular should be due January 1st.

As for the Creator Expert set, it does seem like a lot, but I'm thinking it is indeed the next modular, or an Expert Building, as you mention.

As for Wayne Manor, I wasn't expecting it until January, and maybe it still won't be arriving until then, but some sources have indicated that we will be seeing it much sooner.

As for the Creator Expert set, it does seem like a lot, but I'm thinking it is indeed the next modular, or an Expert Building, as you mention.

As for Wayne Manor, I wasn't expecting it until January, any maybe it still won't be arriving until then, but some sources have indicated that we will be seeing it much sooner.
Heard anything about if it can transform?

ghostmind

My deal breaker on the MF is the interior.

If it's along the lines of the 10179 it will be a firm pass.

My decision is that if the new Falcon is similar to 10179, but improved, do I keep 10179 just to have it, or do I sell it, since I will never have two UCS Falcons on display at the same time.

Plum

Ah, I wasn't talking about when, just that Assembly Square was the big 10th Anniversary set. I can't see them topping that only a year after. It'll be a regular sized one for sure.

Do hope it's something I care for if it is an Expert Building. It won't be something from Britain seeing as the last two were, I'd bet on something from the USA. Could be something else entirely, but an Expert Building seems most likely.

Isn't the big set Jamie commented he was working on it and that should be released in December? If so, by the date it should not be the next modular.

Osahi

Can the numbering be an indication of what it is?

Don't think they would do another larger-than-usual modular, especially not when they don't have anything to celebrate regarding the series. And 350 would mean a 6000 piece set at modular price per piece ratio.

My bet ia on an expert building. And a huge one. Colosseum? Golden Gate Bridge? Notre Dame? (Well, last one is off the table sadly)

My bet ia on an expert building. And a huge one. Colosseum? Golden Gate Bridge? Notre Dame? (Well, last one is off the table sadly)

Why, may I ask?

Golden Gate should be too similar (although a big brother) of Spider-man Bridge. Plus we already have a big expert bridge.

I will be all over a Colosseum, if it is set in Roman times (at its peak) not the ruins of today.

Osahi

Why, may I ask?

Golden Gate should be too similar (although a big brother) of Spider-man Bridge. Plus we already have a big expert bridge.

I will be all over a Colosseum, if it is set in Roman times (at its peak) not the ruins of today.

Lego doesn't do religious buildings. Not even historic ones.

Colosseum would be amazing. Imagine the techniques to get the curved form...

Top Bottom