• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

CvuLgKy.jpg

Ponn

Banned

Neat little freebie, I don't know why I thought the animal figs would be bigger. The Friends sets keep throwing me off on sizes of the figs and accessories. The little animals are more like baby bunnies and baby cats or mice or whatever the other ones are. About the size of trophy pieces or that little dog that came with the paris hilton fig in that one CMF series. Anyways, yea its not a bad freebie for the amount of little animal pieces you got and i'm going to throw the baby bunnies into my Pet Shop for sure.

Fowler

I am disappointed that it's being cancelled. The show has been excellent lately.

I don't think cancelled is the right word tho. The time period the series is set in suggests that it always had a limited window of time to tell this particular story. I always thought it'd end at either season 4 or 5....

Osahi

Well, it's consistent with the way Star Wars is handled. If it's good, ditch it. Look at EU...

The EU was ditched because it limited them in the way they could develop the new trilogy. It was the logical thing to do.

I feel Rebel ends because they feel the story is told. Better that way then a couple of seasons too many with a lot of filler.

Koren

The EU was ditched because it limited them in the way they could develop the new trilogy. It was the logical thing to do.
Yes and no...

I understand easily the idea of making the EU non-canon. They had quality material, they couldn't make shitty movies if they had to stick with that. So, yes, they had to ditch EU.

The only gripe I have is the freeze. They could have made EU an active parallel universe. Wouldn't have been a first. Sometimes, you even get insane ideas to merge different timelines like X-Men ;)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If we're totally honest with ourselves, the only thing of value lost with the elimination of the EU was Skippy The Jedi Droid.

Eb7DZBI.jpg

Osahi

Yes and no...

I understand easily the idea of making the EU non-canon. They had quality material, they couldn't make shitty movies if they had to stick with that. So, yes, they had to ditch EU.

The only gripe I have is the freeze. They could have made EU an active parallel universe. Wouldn't have been a first. Sometimes, you even get insane ideas to merge different timelines like X-Men ;)

Regardless of your like or dislike of the new movies, I'm not convinced at all that using old EU material as a basis for the new films, or trying to fitting them into the canon of the EU, would mean better or good films. On the contrary, I think it's way harder to adapt a good book into a good film then extend a series with new written-for-film stories.

You also have to consider that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford and the rest can't play their younger selves anymore. So it would be hard to adapt for post Jedi-books to film. And if they would regard those as canon and make new stories 30 years on from Jedi, most of the audience of the new films wouldn't know the stories that happened between episode VI and VII. So in every regard it was the right and logical thing to do. And that includes the freeze for me. It would be very complicated to have new books in the one timeline and others in the new. Even the new X-Men timeline was actually just a prequel they mixed with some time travel mumbo jumbo, retconning the worst movie of the series.

Anyway, let's not turn this in a Star Wars topic.

Ontopic: I'm having a deadline at work tomorrow which I'l finish tonight. Which means tomorrow I'll have some time to build. I'm finally going to put the F40 together. Saving the UCS Tie for the may 1st weekend, to get me warmed and hyped up for the Snowspeeder.

Ontopic: I'm having a deadline at work tomorrow which I'l finish tonight. Which means tomorrow I'll have some time to build. I'm finally going to put the F40 together. Saving the UCS Tie for the may 1st weekend, to get me warmed and hyped up for the Snowspeeder.

You're in for a great build. My son started it and I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I had just built 5767 Cool Cruiser and 4993 Cool Convertibe and the build techniques are light years better on the Ferrari.

Osahi

You're in for a great build. My son started it and I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I had just built 5767 Cool Cruiser and 4993 Cool Convertibe and the build techniques are light years better on the Ferrari.

Yeah, I have high expectations. The Creator Expert vehicles are some of my favourite sets, and have never failed to amaze. The VW Beetle by the same designer as the F40 was absolutely amazing. It's actually the main reason I bought it, as I'm not particularly fond of Ferrari cars.

Problem with lego. There are to few nice official models aimed at adults. I have the mini and the camper van. Those are nice. But they are very similar in structure.

Sad thing is you see all of these super nice moc. On an whole other level.

Osahi

MåndagSöndag;234081431 said:
Problem with lego. There are to few nice official models aimed at adults. I have the mini and the camper van. Those are nice. But they are very similar in structure.

The Creator Expert line goes further than vehicles. The Modulars might not look like adult-orientated, but they actually are and they are brillint. Haven't dipped my toes in Creator landmarks yet, but might once they have a building I'm fond of (I'm really hoping they do the Belém Tower from Lisbon one day. The Manueline style architecture could lead to some great greebling)

MåndagSöndag;234081431 said:

LEGO's website and Bricklink are places you can go to order individual LEGO pieces, which gives you the option of making some of those really cool MOCs that people have made.
I've personally built two sets from doing that, a Mini-Modular version of the Winchester pub from Shaun of the Dead (a full sized one was an early LEGO Ideas submission, but LEGO didn't accept it), and I made a Mini-Modular version of the Pet Shop building (the official mini-modular hasn't included any of the new modulars starting with the Pet Shop).

I find the LEGO Ideas sets tend to be a little more adult focused, at least in the sense that a lot of the franchises they use are usually older properties (like the Beatles yellow submarine), science-y stuff (like the Mars Rover, and the upcoming Saturn V rocket), or just interesting original ideas (like the ball rolling maze or the upcoming fishing shop building).

Markus

Members only link it seems.

Here's a some of the highlights form that thread:

"Spoke to a rep yesterday, she said their 50% off for spring is coming in two weeks (week of 4/24)

This was for Southern Cali."

"Just picked up 2 sets at a store near my work. Nothing red dotted and the cashier had no clue. She was surprised when they came up at 50% off and said that it was a very good price. "

41062 Frozen castle: $22.47
General Grievous 75112 for $17
75108 Clone Commander Cody
Luke constraction 75110 $9.97
Lego City Fire Station - 60004 - $49.97/44.97
Elsa's Castle - 41062 - $22.47
Spaceport - 60080 - $59.97/$53.97
Deep Sea Heli - 60093 - $24.97
Training Jet Transporter - 60079 - $24.97
First Order Transporter - 75103 - $45.97
Minecraft Desert Outpost 21121 - $29.99
Red Creatures was also on clearance. 31032
Minecraft Nether Fortress 21122 - $39.99
Emma's Tourist Kiosk 41098 - $4.97
Technic Getaway Racer 42046 - $9.97
70751 ToA at $99.97

Sets reported to be on sale:
CITY
60080 - Spaceport
60079 - Training Jet Transporter
60004 - Fire Station
60093 -* Deep Sea Helicopter
60085 -* 4x4 powerboat
60086 -* City Starter
60074 -* City Bulldozer

FROZEN
41062 - Princess Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle

TECHNIC
42035 -* Mining Truck
42048 -* Race Kart
42036 -* Street Motorcycle
42022 -* Hot Rod
42046 -* Getaway Racer
42040 -* Fire Plane

BIONICLE
70794 -* Skull Scorpio
70791 -* Skull Warrior

MINECRAFT
21122 - Nether Fortress
21121 - Desert Outpost

STAR WARS
75112 - Greivous Buildable
75103 - First Order Transporter
75110 - Luke Buildable
75109 - Obi Wan Buildable
75108 - Cody Buildable
75138 -* Hoth Attack
75092 -* Naboo Starfighter

NINJAGO
-* Various Airjitsu Flyer
70751 -* Temple of Airjitsu
70736 - Attack of the Morro Dragon

FRIENDS
41106 - Pop Star Tour Bus
41105 - Pop Star Stage
41098 -* Emma's Tourist Kiosk

Osahi

Halfway trough and you didn't lie. What an amazing building experience. This thing builds in every direction, and the way some angles are created by having one microbuild support another: amazing.

papluh

What's the best way to buy pieces for something like this? Really interested in building it

yes, bricklink

wait for the set contents/set to be added there and just add it to a wanted list
or
get the LDD file http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...go-sets-made-in-ldd/&page=192#comment-2781297 and upload it to a wanted list (as the post says, might need to manually find the hair and printed parts)

From there it is just to find a good match on price vs shipping costs.

Osahi

Finished the F40. As i said before: amazing build with so many cool techniques and suprises. The way the angles are created, how little details click into a bigger build. Wonderful.

And despite not liking Ferrari's at all, I do like the model.

Not sure if VW Beetle actually had the better build, as it's been a while since I built it. Overall I like the beetle more as a set, but the F40 is a must-have too.

And now I wish the designer get's his hand on a Star Wars UCS one day...

Top Bottom