• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Ponn

Banned
Zzay6l5l.jpg

And my afternoon/evening is set.

How big is the box comparatively? Is it still a quality Ideas box or is it more like a regular Lego box? I was wondering if they made concessions with the size and price. Have fun with that space cowboy!

How big is the box comparatively? Is it still a quality Ideas box or is it more like a regular Lego box? I was wondering if they made concessions with the size and price. Have fun with that space cowboy!
Regular box. Box is about the size of the Nexo Fortrex or close.

The SNOT makes my brain hurt trying to figure out how to plan something like this. This is not even showing some of the ridiculousness that is already covered.

It's like building the wings of the Blue Power Jet:

"Wtf am I building? I don't see how this is part of an airpla--

*rotates something*

-- holy shit, it's a wing!"

It's like building the wings of the Blue Power Jet:

"Wtf am I building? I don't see how this is part of an airpla--

*rotates something*

-- holy shit, it's a wing!"
There isn't anything like that. It is just the mind boggling angles that SNOT is attached, and going in so many directions at once.

Of course, it is also from the same designer as Blue Power Jet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mine won't be here until Monday. Signed up for the B&N membership program thinking express shipping meant 2-day shipping, not 3...

Mine won't be here until Monday. Signed up for the B&N membership program thinking express shipping meant 2-day shipping, not 3...

Eh, buy another set with it and it will pay for itself. They do have modulars and other UCS sets to order.

As for Saturn V, onto bag 11/12 now.

LEGO needs to do a big UCS style NASA set every year. Next year they should make a super detailed Lunar Excursion Module.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So where should I go to buy this set on the 1st? LEGO store or will it be available at other retailers (besides B&N)?

Oh, it is so nice and imposing on display. There are no real moments of "I never thought to use that piece like THAT before!" in the build, which many Jamie Berard modulars have. However, this set is filled with lots of putting parts in with clips to achieve curves or weird angles, like the best stuff Mike Psiaki has done before (Blue Power Jet, Beetle, Ferrari). I don't know which parts which designer contributed to, but the parts being inserted to get the curves reeks of Psiaki.

This set, however, is the "You know NOTHING about SNOT work, Jon Snow!" set. There are studs going in every direction for most of the build, and the clip connections for each stage just further enhance it. The whole thing just feels solid as hell, and doesn't feel like there is an stud of wasted space.

There is a lot of repetition in the set, as expected with something like this, but never does it feel tedious like with Tower Bridge or Big Ben (and I am a defender of the repetition in those sets, as repetition is what gives you those sweet textures on the sets). They keep the build varied enough as it goes to keep you on your toes. Once you get to the second and third stages of the rocket, it does feel like you are retreading familiar territory, but the build is slightly smaller and different enough to feel new.

Such a beautiful, wonderful set when done. I will admit my lifelong love of NASA and the space program is clouding my judgement on this, but this is the kind of thing I dreamed about having as a kid.

Now if only LEGO would make a launch platform for it. And I still think they should do a Creator Expert/UCS style NASA set every year. Heck, make profits from it go to fund space programs or science programs in the world. It would be a huge hit. I just want more. A lot more like this.

Bonus shot showing just how massive the set is. It is next to Disney Castle, but on a lower shelf (next to a Nintendo Switch) to put things in perspective.

Oh, and if LEGO can make high quality printed parts on a $120 set, why the hell can't they just make printed parts on $200+ UCS sets or Creator Expert sets? I am paying a premium, and I want premium parts. This set just feels premium the entire time, and at a fraction of the cost.

Ponn

Banned
So where should I go to buy this set on the 1st? LEGO store or will it be available at other retailers (besides B&N)?

If B@N has it I have to assume others will have it like Amazon and TRU (for a markup). Lego S@H has some free minifig promo though so i'm holding out to order it there on the first.

OH SHIT PHON!! It's beautifullll!

It's beautiful! :O________

Now if only LEGO would make a launch platform for it. And I still think they should do a Creator Expert/UCS style NASA set every year. Heck, make profits from it go to fund space programs or science programs in the world. It would be a huge hit. I just want more. A lot more like this

Someone will MOC up a Launch Gantry within the next month, I bet -- if there's not on already.

"Hell yes!" to the Expert/UCS NASA stuff! I want the Command Module + Lunar Lander (either one set or separate), and a Lunar Rover, both minifig scale. They could also do an ISS with modular pods/expansions, Hubble, important satellites and probes.

I WANT IT ALL!

R-User!

I keep flip flopping on whether I want to get the Saturn V or not, since space is becoming a problem. Will be moving soon though so maybe I should just add it to the backlog. Hm...

If you flipped or flopped that means that half of you wants it: so tell that other half to take a hike. Space schmace, it's a vertical skinny narrow build; its foot print has to be one of the smallest for its price/piece count.

You're welcome... :)

If you flipped or flopped that means that half of you wants it: so tell that other half to take a hike. Space schmace, it's a vertical skinny narrow build; its foot print has to be one of the smallest for its price/piece count.

You're welcome... :)

Footprint is incredibly small. Guestimating 16x16 studs, maybe slightly more. Add 8 or so if you want to put the LEM and landing pod with it.

The nice thing is they give you can display it either vertically or horizontally. And if horizontal, you don't need a deep shelf at all. It is the best of all worlds for display space.

Osahi

Man, Phon, june 1st can't come soon enough. As the build is sepersted in 12 bags I take each one hits the short, sweet spot to spread the experience out

wetwired

Dat rocket

I could have grabbed it on the weekend if I was desperate enough, they went up for sale at Dreamworld Lego Store and promptly sold out within an hour or 2, I debated whether to race down there straight away or not but by the time I got my act together it was gone

Plum

That Saturn V looks absolutely amazing. Did not expect it to be so tall! Gonna be ordering that ASAP on the 1st apongside the Detective's Office.

mclem

Do we have any words on a polybag for S@H for June? EU hasn't yet had the Mini Milano, so maybe that (We're on the R3M2 currently)

I'm holding off on the Saturn V for as long as I dare, but a polybag might tip me over.

_Rob_

Do we have any words on a polybag for S@H for June? EU hasn't yet had the Mini Milano, so maybe that (We're on the R3M2 currently)

I'm holding off on the Saturn V for as long as I dare, but a polybag might tip me over.

Just FYI in case you're in the UK, Smyths had the Milano polybag as a giveaway with Lego purchases a week or so back.

Do the stands for displaying the Saturn V horizontally have to go in particular places or can they just go wherever? The size would be quite a good fit my mantlepiece but it has a weird tappering design so the stands would need to fit in the viable area.

DonShula

I surrender to Saturn V. So what is my better shot at getting this thing: waiting for it to go live on the web site on 6/1? Or going to the retail store early later that day?

I've not purchased a Lego product "at launch" before. For what it's worth, my closest retail Lego Store ran out of Snowspeeders the first day (although I imagine that happened everywhere).

R-User!

I surrender to Saturn V. So what is my better shot at getting this thing: waiting for it to go live on the web site on 6/1? Or going to the retail store early later that day?

I've not purchased a Lego product "at launch" before. For what it's worth, my closest retail Lego Store ran out of Snowspeeders the first day (although I imagine that happened everywhere).

Go live online night before, or line up at store opening. Can't get them to hold it on launch day unless you know someone.

Some really popular sets have gone on backorder later the same day, but then you still get them a few weeks later.

I think the German football team CMF sold out twice in less than a day.

DonShula

Go live online night before, or line up at store opening. Can't get them to hold it on launch day unless you know someone.

I asked poorly. What I really want to know is how much success people have with the website. Is it normally in stock for a couple hours after midnight? Or is it like Amazon where you better have the page refreshed at the right time or it's gone in a second?

R-User!

I asked poorly. What I really want to know is how much success people have with the website. Is it normally in stock for a couple hours after midnight? Or is it like Amazon where you better have the page refreshed at the right time or it's gone in a second?

It can be a shit show where you stay up for hours and they don't update their site, or it can work, and product sells out super fast. Best to try online for as long as you feel up to it, but be prepared to head out early to your store or pray that they don't sell out by the time you can get to the store later that day.

Edit: you have a Barnes near you?...

ghostmind

It depends on whether the LEGO S@H team went to bed early or not.

Sometimes the site will refresh right at midnight, and as long as you get your order in the first couple hours, you should get it in the first shipment.

Sometimes they don't update S@H until the next morning, or at like 3am. Very frustrating.

I will say though that Ideas stock has been very variable over the releases, and I don't particularly trust that the Saturn V will have a large production run, so I'm going to line up again at my local store to pick it up when they open.

DonShula

It can be a shit show where you stay up for hours and they don't update their site, or it can work, and product sells out super fast. Best to try online for as long as you feel up to it, but be prepared to head out early to your store or pray that they don't sell out by the time you can get to the store later that day.

Thanks. I do have a few B&Ns in town but I thought you had to be a member to do that thing people have been talking about.

secret rob

Neo Member

I work right beside one. How does the early store pickup work?

Found all the Cars 3 sets and most of the new Star Wars sets at toys r us today. They're offering 20% off all Star Wars so Vader transformation was $20 and Quadjumper was $40.

DonShula

Found all the Cars 3 sets and most of the new Star Wars sets at toys r us today. They're offering 20% off all Star Wars so Vader transformation was $20 and Quadjumper was $40.

Nice find. That sale is completely unadvertised. No email mention today, and not even on the website banner.

R-User!

Thanks. I do have a few B&Ns in town but I thought you had to be a member to do that thing people have been talking about.

I believe you do, but just sign up ($25) I believe, wait until item arrives, and then...

Sorry to heap more people your way Phon, but if you could help out those that are interested in the Barnes option....

I can also vouch that you do not need a B&N membership. They tempted me but I don't shop there enough to justify the $25/year. My set shipped yesterday and should be here Monday. Thanks again Phon!

Top Bottom