• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

So what set do y'all think will become the consensus best of 2017 so far? Saturn V or the Carousel ? Or something else? Saturn V is my favorite so far

ghostmind

So what set do y'all think will become the consensus best of 2017 so far? Saturn V or the Carousel ? Or something else? Saturn V is my favorite so far

I know one set that is going on my "10 best" for 2017, and that is 75532 Scout Trooper & Speeder Bike.

What an amazing fun build experience - felt like I was building at UCS scale, which wouldn't be inaccurate considering how large the speeder bike is.

I'm in love with the buildable figures, and am hoping they continue the line and add some additional vehicle builds. I would love to have a full ESB bounty hunter lineup of these.

The top shelf from my new Star Wars room (more to come soon):

QYWiZ7R.jpg

Those new sets are kind of a bummer
Compared to the original trilogy star destroyer x walker
Also looks tiny compared to the others 🤔

Clearance hype 😎

ghostmind

Counting the studs, the walker and the destroyer are roughly the same size as their 2014 counterparts.

However, they are both about 20 Euros more.

papluh

Did the Stage 1 today and I really like it. Also the fact that it is not the straightforward type of build where you just snap the pieces together and thats it. One has to make sure the connections, of which some could not be seen, are ok and aligned, sometimes hold the parts from underside to get it right ... compared to most of the modern mainstream sets it has this slight feeling of old times.

... and a little brag
(was a nice event, got to talk to folks from Ideas team,...)
vVlDNMZ.jpg

Does anyone have a recommended brand of shelf or bookcase they use to store all their built LEGO? I have a huge backstock of things I own but haven't built because I haven't been able to commit to a good way to display them yet. :/

ghostmind

Did the Stage 1 today and I really like it. Also the fact that it is not the straightforward type of build where you just snap the pieces together and thats it. One has to make sure the connections, of which some could not be seen, are ok and aligned, sometimes hold the parts from underside to get it right ... compared to most of the modern mainstream sets it has this slight feeling of old times.

... and a little brag
(was a nice event, got to talk to folks from Ideas team,...)
vVlDNMZ.jpg

That is awesome!

Cannot wait until the 1st, when I finally can get my hands on this set.

ghostmind

Does anyone have a recommended brand of shelf or bookcase they use to store all their built LEGO? I have a huge backstock of things I own but haven't built because I haven't been able to commit to a good way to display them yet. :/

A lot of us use Ikea for our display solutions... KALLAX, VITTSJÖ, and BILLY are all viable options, depending on what you are looking for.

A lot of us use Ikea for our display solutions... KALLAX, VITTSJÖ, and BILLY are all viable options, depending on what you are looking for.

Do they fit modulars? That'd be my biggest "concern" at the moment, as I'm only missing two of them, and they take up a lot of room scattered across my house at the moment, haha.

DonShula

I have a 4x4 Kallax that is quickly being taken over by Lego. The larger sets are on top but running out of room up there soon. Most of the medium to smaller sets will fit in the cubbies.

Nodnol

I'm a bit late with these sets, but I've recently picked up:

- Krennic's Shuttle: Soild build and looks awesome with the wings down. Think the most impressive thing is how they got all the different angles to work.

- Tie Striked: So so experience. Not bad, not great, but quite a striking model when complete (pun not intended). Shore Trooper looks superb.

- Poe's X-Wing: MAN IS THIS THING COOL. So swooshable. Locking the S-Foils in attack position gives me a small nerdgasm.

ghostmind

Do they fit modulars? That'd be my biggest "concern" at the moment, as I'm only missing two of them, and they take up a lot of room scattered across my house at the moment, haha.

Some of them will... KALLAX will accommodate the smaller ones in the cubes, but the taller ones would have to sit on top.

T9MNRHrr.jpg

Not mine.

BILLY has adjustable shelves, but the shelf depth is an issue. I'm not familiar enough with it or VITTSJO to recommend, but I'm sure others can provide their experiences.

Some of them will... KALLAX will accommodate the smaller ones in the cubes, but the taller ones would have to sit on top.

T9MNRHrr.jpg

Not mine.

BILLY has adjustable shelves, but the shelf depth is an issue. I'm not familiar enough with it or VITTSJO to recommend, but I'm sure others can provide their experiences.

That is badass and would be perfect, thank you for finding that/showing it to me.

Mucho appreciated.

Boogiepop

So real quick, should I be sure to avoid bricklinked orders from overseas? Like, how nasty is shipping on that stuff usually?

I'm just ultimately trying to figure out just how to best deal with this potential bricklinking of Town Hall. I have a monstrosity of a wishlist together now aiming for a dark orange front (and tower) and the rest brown, and it's okayish, but the autoselector is definitely trying to grab some stuff from overseas. And also is coming up with orders from like 20 stores to complete it, which is just plain frightening into how much that'd add from shipping alone.

AKA this is just barely on the verge of acceptable, but just isn't quite there, so I'm still not sure if this is a project I could pursue...

Honestly I'd just keep my eye on used listings on eBay. That's how I got a Fire Brigade and a number of other retired sets for a reasonable price. I get the fun and challenge of bricklinking, but with luck and patience you could save some time and hassle on eBay.

Haines

Banned
Che king out that brinklink site you can sort through used sets for sale?

Maybe that's how I should go considering I'm looking for particular sets and don't really care if they are new?

Is buying used sets on there bad idea?

ghostmind

The LEGO and Disney ninjas have been busy plugging the TLJ leaks, so it's questionable whether the other sets will be leaked or not now.

rokkerkory

I'm a bit late with these sets, but I've recently picked up:

- Krennic's Shuttle: Soild build and looks awesome with the wings down. Think the most impressive thing is how they got all the different angles to work.

- Tie Striked: So so experience. Not bad, not great, but quite a striking model when complete (pun not intended). Shore Trooper looks superb.

- Poe's X-Wing: MAN IS THIS THING COOL. So swooshable. Locking the S-Foils in attack position gives me a small nerdgasm.

I got those except the Tie Striker too. It's just not special enough to me at higher prices and no special characters. Love Poes xwing and Krennics shuttle tho!!

I didn't get Poe's X-Wing nor the Resistance X-Wing yet, but it makes me wonder...

Has there ever been a bad Sex Wing released by LEGO? It seems like an ole reliable model that no matter what version is released, it delivers.

It is the Shaft of Star Wars models. It delivers 10 times out of 10.

ghostmind

They obviously plugged that UCS Falcon leak...

untitled-381.gif

The May 25th date was just a bad rumor that came from a usually solid source. Apologies for getting hopes up, but I believed it as well, and was also dissapointed as a result.

The blurry pics that have been mentioned for the Falcon aren't going to see the light of day, so we can just continue to wait for the reveal.

LEGO and Disney have been sending out C&D letters to sites today, regarding the TLJ leak, and are "asking" that not only pictures but also written set descriptions be removed.

rokkerkory

I didn't get Poe's X-Wing nor the Resistance X-Wing yet, but it makes me wonder...

Has there ever been a bad Sex Wing released by LEGO? It seems like an ole reliable model that no matter what version is released, it delivers.

It is the Shaft of Star Wars models. It delivers 10 times out of 10.

Get Poe's! Its just badass. On sale right now of course.

The May 25th date was just a bad rumor that came from a usually solid source. Apologies for getting hopes up, but I believed it as well, and was also dissapointed as a result.

The blurry pics that have been mentioned for the Falcon aren't going to see the light of day, so we can just continue to wait for the reveal.

LEGO and Disney have been sending out C&D letters to sites today, regarding the TLJ leak, and are "asking" that not only pictures but also written set descriptions be removed.

You know the gif and the "anger" is all in good fun. :)

Had a gut feeling a reveal at this point was too soon.
Get Poe's! Its just badass. On sale right now of course.

Need to get the Resistance X-Wing just for the Max Von Sydow figure.

Right, it's time for my second recent modular: The 1987 House!

The idea was that most parts that are used for modulars are rather old, so I looked through Bricklink for inventories each year and came up with a list of available parts. 1987 seemed like a good cutoff year since it's an anniversary, and since I was an active builder back then. I wanted to see what I _could_ have made if I had a nearly infinite access to parts. But not only are the parts limited to what was available, so was the colours. That was the major difference.

The benefit of using used parts is that you can easily use some vintage parts that have interesting shapes. I wanted to get a Fabuland style to it, so I used those huge 2x7x6 window panels and the black stairs, and the chimneys are also specialized Fabuland parts.

lego_moc_1987house_02.jpg

Overall I had tons of fun working with this limitation and I like this house more than my other recent modulars.

lego_moc_1987house_03.jpg

The idea was that most parts that are used for modulars are rather old, so I looked through Bricklink for inventories each year and came up with a list of available parts. 1987 seemed like a good cutoff year since it's an anniversary, and since I was an active builder back then. I wanted to see what I _could_ have made if I had a nearly infinite access to parts. But not only are the parts limited to what was available, so was the colours. That was the major difference.

The benefit of using used parts is that you can easily use some vintage parts that have interesting shapes. I wanted to get a Fabuland style to it, so I used those huge 2x7x6 window panels and the black stairs, and the chimneys are also specialized Fabuland parts.

Overall I had tons of fun working with this limitation and I like this house more than my other recent modulars.

Love the restrictions used on this, and love the way this turned out.

Osahi

The LEGO and Disney ninjas have been busy plugging the TLJ leaks, so it's questionable whether the other sets will be leaked or not now.

Shit. I just want to see bb-8, so I hope they can sneak out a pic.

Amazing stuff. Says everything about Lego: even with limited pieces you can make incredible things as long as you have the creativity

wetwired

I picked up the 2016/1966 Ford GT set today and promptly Batified the GT40, it's loosely based on one I did for the lego batman movie but I'm not sure if they ever used it (it was dark blue)

I picked up the Bugatti as well and planned to convert that at some point too, I may need 2 of those however.

I picked up the 2016/1966 Ford GT set today and promptly Batified the GT40, it's loosely based on one I did for the lego batman movie but I'm not sure if they ever used it (it was dark blue)

I picked up the Bugatti as well and planned to convert that at some point too, I may need 2 of those however.
You may want to check out a comic writer and artist called Scott Gordon Murphy. He's a big car fan and is doing 2 Batman books this year(one on his own and one with Scott Snyder).

ericb!

Neo Member
So real quick, should I be sure to avoid bricklinked orders from overseas? Like, how nasty is shipping on that stuff usually?

Shipping costs from some countries can be very reasonable. I occasionally find that buying from an overseas Bricklink store is cheaper than buying the same parts from a store in the USA. This is especially true when faced with the prospect of numerous domestic orders as opposed to a couple international orders.

Love the curves on the front there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the Saturn V and it's glorious.

I am a little torn on the lander though. Part of me likes the separate little diorama. Part of me likes it being installed at the top of stage 3. Probably impractical to bricklink a spare one as those parts in gold might be rare/unique.

For the moment I've left off half the fairing to give a semi exploded view - so you can see the full rocket and then get a view of the lander too. Not sure how I'll settle with it though.

I finally had time to start building the Silent Mary today. Up to bag 4, will rest a little a build more later. But what a build! I could never had come to some of the ways things are build here. But there is a lot of Technic pieces here, not only for the masts as the previous ships (I don't like this much but it is fine considering that there are no hull pieces).

But I don't get the complaims that the set is fragile. It is very solid up to this point.

DBT85

Finished the Saturn V and it's glorious.

I am a little torn on the lander though. Part of me likes the separate little diorama. Part of me likes it being installed at the top of stage 3. Probably impractical to bricklink a spare one as those parts in gold might be rare/unique.

For the moment I've left off half the fairing to give a semi exploded view - so you can see the full rocket and then get a view of the lander too. Not sure how I'll settle with it though.

No photo means you'd left it boxed for your grandchildren.

Top Bottom