• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Les Miserables the movie, starring Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost never make threads, but I happened to be looking up Les Miserables info and found this press release dated today.

Working Title's live-action film adaptation of Cameron Mackintosh's hit stage musical LES MISERABLES by Boublil and Schonberg will directed by Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) and written by William Nicholson. Universal Pictures are releasing the film worldwide.

The film is produced by Working Title’s Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner with Cameron Mackintosh and Debra Hayward. Liza Chasin is the executive producer.

The stage version of LES MISERABLES holds the record as the longest running musical in the world. To date is has been seen by nearly 60 million people in 42 countries and 21 languages.
Last year, it celebrated it’s 25th anniversary.

Cameron Mackintosh commented, “Even though I have dreamt about making the film of LES MISERABLES for over 25 years, I could never have imagined that we would end up with the dream director Tom Hooper and the dream cast of Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe. Not only were they born to play these roles vocally but they thrillingly inhabit this great score. Producing this film with Eric Fellner, Working Title and Universal Pictures is indeed a dream come true and I can’t want to hear the people sing at my local cineplex.”

US release date is set for December 7, 2012.
http://www.lesmis.com/news/article/hugh_jackman_and_russell_crowe_to_star_in_les_miz_movie

I know Hugh Jackman has a broadway background, but Russell Crowe is a bit of a surprise. Thoughts?

PBY

Banned
This could be amazing, but I'm just not interested. Yeah, its closed minded, but for whatever reason, I can't see myself getting excited for a project like this.

Amir0x

Banned
i've seen the music on broadway countless times back in the day, but I can't get excited about a movie adaptation. No way would it hold the same power with the voices I've seen with the material.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
peterb0y said:
This could be amazing, but I'm just not interested. Yeah, its closed minded, but for whatever reason, I can't see myself getting excited for a project like this.
Cool tag, bro.

Satyamdas

Banned
The stage musical is awesome:

MGsoZ.jpg

The non-musical movie is awesome:

pkJjg.jpg

A musical movie version with Russel Crowe? Catastrophically bad is my prediction.

Satyamdas said:
The stage musical is awesome:

http://i.imgur.com/MGsoZ.jpg[IMG]

The non-musical movie is awesome:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pkJjg.jpg[IMG]

A musical movie version with Russel Crowe? Catastrophically bad is my prediction.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this man.

Though I'd love to be wrong.

I think Crowe will be fine as Javert. He is the lead singer of his own band, right? A bass/baritone role shouldn't trouble him. IMDB says Anne Hathaway is going to play Fantine which is more disturbing to me. I can't wait to hear her accent.
At least she dies in the middle of the first act.
I just hope they find someone who can sing to play Marius. I'd really like them to find someone who will not to fuck up "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables."

Jimrpg

agree with the posts above

the non-musical movie version is really really good... one of neeson's best roles...

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It appears to me that Hooper is in an almost impossible bind. I don't think that he'll be able to retain the caliber of singing from the musicals in a "Hollywood" film. Yet I'm still cautiously optimistic. I want the film to succeed.

thefro

Apparently Jackman is going to be Jean Valjean and Crowe is Javert

Geofrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter are rumored to be the Thernadiers and Anne Hathaway as Fantine. It should be all sung so there should be no problem with Hathaway's accent.

Look for this to sweep the Oscars if they do this competently.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
SoulPlaya said:
The book is my second favorite ever, is the musical different from the book?
The musical follows the same basic plot and themes of the book, but everything is communicated through song. It also features the usual extravagance and spectacle of a musical. Although they're two separate things, I believe that anyone who is a fan of the book should be a fan of the musical. You can watch the first part of the 25th anniversary version here.

thefro

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/four_misses_in_miz_race_lA2uGGfyFSK3JJ9QFASLPO#ixzz1fBjTCx2x

NY Post sez Taylor Swift, Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson and Evan Rachel Wood are finalists for Eponine

Taylor Swift, Lea Michele, Scarlett Johansson and Evan Rachel Wood are all in the running for the highly coveted role of Eponine in Oscar-winning director Tom Hooper’s big-screen version of “Les Misérables,” sources tell us. A source close to the film confirmed that the four actors have all auditioned for the role. Another said that Michele “knocked it out of the park” when the “Glee” star — who played Young Cosette in the Broadway show — recently performed for the “King’s Speech” director. But it will be a tough choice because each star has her own magic ingredient for the musical based on Victor Hugo’s novel. “Scarlett brings acting ability, and she can really sing,” said the source. “Evan Rachel Wood brings her indie cred.” And casting Swift would mark a major move over to Hollywood films for the pop star. The Working Title and Universal movie is already stocked with stars, including Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne and Geoffrey Rush.

JdFoX187

Banned
I became interested in the work by, of all things, the references to it in Deep Space Nine. Didn't know Liam Neeson made a version of it. Is it any good?

thefro

This will be fun... Taylor Swift cast as Eponine! Some of the meltdowns over this are hilarious on the Broadway sites.

Amanda Seyfried is cast as Cosette, which most seem ok with.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Am...ft-Complete-LES-MISERABLES-Film-Cast-20120103

Today, Twitchfilm.com has reported and BroadwayWorld.com has confirmed that offers are now out to country-pop singer Taylor Swift for the role of Eponine and to the opera-trained Mamma Mia! film star Amanda Seyfried as Cosette.

Universal has reportedly offered both the roles after months of speculation about both parts, with both stars expected to, but not yet signed.

Satyamdas

Banned
I became interested in the work by, of all things, the references to it in Deep Space Nine. Didn't know Liam Neeson made a version of it. Is it any good?
The Liam Neeson version is god tier. You owe it to yourself to see it fucking yesterday.

Taylor Swift + Russel Crowe = No thanks. I'll stick to my broadway recordings and the Neeson flick combo I guess.

Eljay

Neo Member
I'll keep an open mind. I didn't like the Neeson version, but I think I'll find just about every adaption rushed compared to the source material. There's just too much to cover within a couple hours and the stage version avoids that by being able to convey the narrative in the songs.

bengraven

When I saw the title, I'm like "this better be based on the musical - you don't adapt a movie based on a book when you have Hugh Jackman on board who can sing like a motherfucker".

Also: who cares about Taylor Swift? They have a real, good, beautiful actress playing Cosette.

BluWacky

This will be fun... Taylor Swift cast as Eponine! Some of the meltdowns over this are hilarious on the Broadway sites.

Amanda Seyfried is cast as Cosette, which most seem ok with.

Neither is actually confirmed as cast. The BWW article merely states that offers have gone out.

But the show queen meltdowns over Taylor Swift are brilliant, nonetheless.

Takuan

Neither is actually confirmed as cast. The BWW article merely states that offers have gone out.

But the show queen meltdowns over Taylor Swift are brilliant, nonetheless.
To be fair, Taylor Swift really doesn't have the vocal chops to do the role justice. All of it can be faked, of course, but then you might as well just do a full-on voiceover.

Shiv47

They probably want to cast Swift because her role is the role that teen girls identify with most, the devoted girl who stands by and watches her beloved with another girl. Swift has covered that ground pretty well in her songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom