• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Hamster0

ugh, in the fight against Cali, but there's only 1 person on my attack list, and I keep getting "another player has attacked, your attack failed"

sooo I can't do anything

Every time I play this game I come away with more questions.

If I die, can I keep attempting to kill my own hater to get him back or will he disappear?

Hamster0

Does anyone know how to refresh the raid attack list during a fight with another country?

I'm stuck with just one person to attack and unable to start it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm struggling with the lock on. Is that just me? Any tips? Granted I've only played for 30 min so far but it's causing me more damage than I am myself

I honestly don't think there is any f2p horseshit. Its all well done and you can play and have fun without spending a penny. You can do everything with what the game gives you for playing.

Yeah, the F2P elements are basically storage, free rides on elevators/metro and being able to revive on the spot.

The revives are really only there to soften the roguelike blow. You can earn your character back with in game money easily or just kill them yourself. Just note that killing them wipes their inventory when you get them back.

I am so addicted to this game right now that it's not even funny.

Why did I pick Canada?

Lucent

Lol took my level 1 rank 2 shooter out for a spin in the fight against Canada. A level 1 popped up and I was like hah. Then a level 25 came out. And another. But I was victorious! That pick axe is great with patience.

Riposte

Uh, just so you guys know, the dropkick input overrides getting on an escalator to exit the zone.

I felt lazy, so I full sprinted through the area and ended falling on my back when six or seven guys surrounding me, who then blocked me from moving or turning around in order to get the prompt to leave.

delSai

I was hating the pickaxe at first but slowly i'm starting to like it. Either one hitting most enemies or almost always getting a Goretastic Kill.

Riposte

I was hating the pickaxe at first but slowly i'm starting to like it. Either one hitting most enemies or almost always getting a Goretastic Kill.
Charge attack feels really good to land. It's worth taking a little bit of damage for it.

Skrams

A devastating combo for me and that I'm seeing a lot of haters running is Machete/Butterfly Knife. Both are quick and devastating. Incredibly easy to kill off one or two combos.

Coen dead with 3 hits from the butterfly knife. Three.

Protip- Your hockey pucks can kill you too. Great.

Uh, just so you guys know, the dropkick input overrides getting on an escalator to exit the zone.

I felt lazy, so I full sprinted through the area and ended falling on my back when six or seven guys surrounding me, who then blocked me from moving or turning around in order to get the prompt to leave.

yeppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Thats true actually. Maybe we all should switch then.

Still, would be cool to have your own Team profile with a Logo and all that.

That's the one reason why I'm a little hesitant. If we do this and then they add the ability to make your own teams, we just blew our one free transfer.

As long as the cost isn't outrageous I guess it's worth the risk.

Lucent

I failed you, California. I ran in with a level 9 character and the person I raided used a level 50 and 39 duo. I can't help anymore. =(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*ooooh! gerogerogero". :)
gerogerogerogero
Amazing, thanks, man! I gather you are actually playing now? How did you like it?
Thank you! And yep, played a couple hours before maintenance last night and going to play a ton today :D I haven't even gotten past the 2nd floor yet (by choice, being super methodical) and I'm in love.

I do think this has wider appeal than it seems to many at first glance. I mean... the asking price is pretty hard to argue with...
Edit: Read throught all of it, awesome stuff. I only have a very minor correction: the Uncle Prime box has a cooldown of 20 hours, not 24. This seems to be a standard of similar timed features (Marvel Heroes 2016 has an item that spawns a chest with the same cooldown), to give some leeway and avoid people having to collect their reward later and later every day.
Thanks, I will correct that!

I'll read through my Meijin Tips to see if there is anything worth adding. One thing that's interesting (I believe it has already been mentioned in the thread but it bears repeating) is that the fireworks launcher becomes quite more powerful as it levels up, because it then fires actual fireworks that first embed into the enemy and then explode (it's rather underwhelming before that). The thing is, to level it up you actually have to use it, and people might try it, see it's not good, and skip it altogether, especially because it follows the expected trend in action games of having ranged weapons be very weak to compensate for their relative safety. Instead, it's a good idea to soften up enemies with melee weapons and finish them up with fireworks.
That is very cool. I haven't tried out the fireworks yet. And intermediate/advance tips with stuff about individual weapon classes, decals, which mushrooms and beasts to grill, and the raiding/defense elements would be awesome to do at some point.
sticky this, OP.
hey thanks :)
Riposte said:

Generally speaking, running like hell to the next semblance of safety without looking back (my preferred strategy in the vast majority of Soulsborne levels XD) seems much less viable in this. Aggro leashes seem endless or nearly so, and input confusion like you've noted here makes it even trickier.
I'm struggling with the lock on. Is that just me? Any tips? Granted I've only played for 30 min so far but it's causing me more damage than I am myself
The lock-on is best used sparingly, when you have a single target you want to kite around. In most tighter environments and especially when against a few opponents, it is best avoided.

delSai

That's the one reason why I'm a little hesitant. If we do this and then they add the ability to make your own teams, we just blew our one free transfer.

As long as the cost isn't outrageous I guess it's worth the risk.

Maybe it's better to wait a while. It's not like we cant switch teams a month from now.

My favorite mushroom!

Did you know you can end your pose early by pressing circle?

News to me! I dont think i'll ever have to end early when using it, but still good to know.

Fighting a hater with the hockey stick in a room is absolutely terrifying if they get a rage attack off.

Edit: Made a Striker and they can't equip anything by default because their HP is below 200, amazing lol

News to me! I dont think i'll ever have to end early when using it, but still good to know.
The grilled yoga mushroom lasts a really long time. I've gotten worried that I might get jackaled while posing on several occasions while at full health waiting for it to wear off.

And lets not speak too much about that time in my early adventures when I accidentally ate one mid combat, and stood there holding my pose while a screamer tore me apart...

Syysch

ugh, in the fight against Cali, but there's only 1 person on my attack list, and I keep getting "another player has attacked, your attack failed"

sooo I can't do anything

Does anyone know how to refresh the raid attack list during a fight with another country?

I'm stuck with just one person to attack and unable to start it.

You cant refresh that list, it means someone else is currently raiding that target though, you just need to check back every so often til it goes through.

Yeah, the F2P elements are basically storage, free rides on elevators/metro and being able to revive on the spot.

The revives are really only there to soften the roguelike blow. You can earn your character back with in game money easily or just kill them yourself. Just note that killing them wipes their inventory when you get them back.

I am so addicted to this game right now that it's not even funny.

Why did I pick Canada?

Im using the free one day pass but dont have free revives?

I think it's good to let the yoga pose run, it also builds up your rage meter too, so I only use it when I need to heal and get rage back.

Im using the free one day pass but dont have free revives?

You need to spend a death metal to revive on the spot, she probably is talking about that since that is the currency you can buy with real money.

delSai

Managed to only die once til yesterday, and then I died 4 times today....

I died a few times today too. Just bad luck, raiding people way too strong and getting thrown into group fights with strong Haters. Not the best day.

And lets not speak too much about that time in my early adventures when I accidentally ate one mid combat, and stood there holding my pose while a screamer tore me apart...

Hahaha, this kind of stuff happens to all of us. Always hilarious to read this stuff, the weird random fuck ups always make me laugh.

darklin0

Banned
I died a few times today too. Just bad luck, raiding people way too strong and getting thrown into group fights with strong Haters. Not the best day.

Hahaha, this kind of stuff happens to all of us. Always hilarious to read this stuff, the weird random fuck ups always make me laugh.

Man, you wanna hear fuck ups? Last night I was on floor 17 desperately trying to find an elevator to GTFO. I got caught off guard by a Hater and ate a poison shroom on accident.

I died vomiting blood while the Hater taunted me. Sad times.

Uthred

I honestly don't think there is any f2p horseshit. Its all well done and you can play and have fun without spending a penny. You can do everything with what the game gives you for playing.

The default inventory size, even with higher grade characters, feels purposefully small. I think its 19 with a G3 Striker, even with one set of armour and one weapon you're down to 15, it'll be full in one high level floor. It certainly makes playing without the express pass (and its +10 inventory) feel punishing.

Question: I'm getting low on the free Death Medals. How does the revive work with in game currency? What do I lose and where do I spawn vs using a Death Medal?

Don't feel like buying more if I don't have to.

janoDX

Question: I'm getting low on the free Death Medals. How does the revive work with in game currency? What do I lose and where do I spawn vs using a Death Medal?

You go to the Fighter's freezer and you "recover" the character with the game currency, you get your character back with everything you hold with him.

Depending the rank and the floor it can cost you more or less, for example recovering my character on Floor 17 costs 33k.

If you don't buy insurance, you go back to the fighter freezer to choose another fighter to use. You have three options at this point:

1. Pay the salvage fee. This immediately puts your fighter back in the freezer, exp, coin, and inventory intact. It gets more expensive the higher up you go.

2. Choose a different fighter, climb the tower to the same area your other fighter died, and kill their haterfied self. Uncle Death will reclaim the body. You will find it in the freezer at no cost, but the fighter will be naked, all inventory lost.

3. Release the missing fighter to free up the freezer slot, and buy a new one.

To revive with coins, you have to do it at your freezer, so basically you start back at your waiting room. You get whatever gear and loot they still had on them when they died. The other way where you beat the shit out of your hateified self by running back to where you die, you get your body back, but all their gear is gone, so this option is if you value the character more than their loot.

The default inventory size, even with higher grade characters, feels purposefully small. I think its 19 with a G3 Striker, even with one set of armour and one weapon you're down to 15, it'll be full in one high level floor. It certainly makes playing without the express pass (and its +10 inventory) feel punishing.

Well I mean that's what the collector is for right?

If you don't buy insurance, you go back to the fighter freezer to choose another fighter to use. You have three options at this point:

1. Pay the salvage fee. This immediately puts your fighter back in the freezer, exp, coin, and inventory intact. It gets more expensive the higher up you go.

2. Choose a different fighter, climb the tower to the same area your other fighter died, and kill their haterfied self. Uncle Death will reclaim the body. You will find it in the freezer at no cost, but the fighter will be naked, all inventory lost.

3. Release the missing fighter to free up the freezer slot, and buy a new one.

So for option 1 all I lose is my progress in the level. Nice.

What does insurance do? Missed that.

Volcynika

Woof, just trying to progress in the second set of floors (11+) seems like a big step up from before. Having to keep an eye out for enemies with shotguns/rifles/etc. makes it a bit more hectic.

So for option 1 all I lose is my progress in the level. Nice.

What does insurance do? Missed that.

Insurance revives you on the spot.

closer013

Don't know if anyone noticed this, but the color of the rubber handrails on the escalator shows you what particular block you'll go to on the floor map.

Uthred

Well I mean that's what the collector is for right?

Not really no, if the only purpose of classes other than the collector is to push higher than the inventory is still too small to hold the healing/utility/weapons you'll need to push. It certainly isnt full of "F2P bullshit" but it seems pretty clear that the inventory is purposefully small, the expanded inventory is a major element of the express pass which is a key component of the games monetisation model. It doesnt bother me a huge amount but it is what it is.

Don't know if anyone noticed this, but the color of the rubber handrails shows you what particular block you'll go to on the floor map.

Only noticed that earlier today

Roldan

uh... I finished the first floor, I guess. The gate at the end is closed, though, and I can't interact with the handle next to it. What do I do?

Also, loads of systems in this game, it's a bit hard to keep track of everything in the first hours lol

Top Bottom