• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Just had an slowmo fight... the people who experienced this will instantly know what I am talking about...

...can somebody explain what just happened?

This happens when someone is in the middle of attacking your base. It's basically letting the other player finish their raid.

DrkSage

When you got your new fighter did you pick a Striker class fighter who has more Health and Strength or something like that? Or just an All Rounder which is standard and free compared to 1000 gold for the other classes.

I went for an all rounder. Picked her up for leveling since I'm trying to max out all my fighters and when I went to level her I saw she had one stat capping higher than the rest. She has all stats with a cap on 5 expect strength which caps at 6

Yea there seems to be some randomness with the max stats a fighter can have. They can have an additional level in a stat, like my rank 3 defender had a cap of 14 in STR rather than 13 in other stats. I had other bodies that had some bonus points in different stats before too. So if you were a min maxer, you would re-roll constantly for bonus max stats.

Cool. I wonder if it's only one stat that gets an additional level or if you could get a fighter with additional level in more than one stat.

The music in this game gets a ton of (deserved) praise, but I want to call out how great the sound design in general is. I love that as I roam around, I can tell what's up ahead by sound.

My ears have been fine tuned for the vocal aggressiveness and combat sounds of haters, the gurgles of screamers, and each individual beast. Nevermind the satisfying clink of coin after every fight, and the silence of finally being "safe", if only for a moment.

I usually reserve this level of audio attention for competitive fps games, but it's keeping me alive just the same here.

The music in this game gets a ton of (deserved) praise, but I want to call out how great the sound design in general is. I love that as I roam around, I can tell what's up ahead by sound.

My ears have been fine tuned for the vocal aggressiveness and combat sounds of haters, the gurgles of screamers, and each individual beast. Nevermind the satisfying clink of coin after every fight, and the silence of finally being "safe", if only for a moment.

I usually reserve this level of audio attention for competitive fps games, but it's keeping me alive just the same here.

*ooooh! gerogerogero". :)

The coin clinks seem to be a favorite of Suda51, No More Heroes also prominently featured coins exploding out of human beings. :D

Just linking back to some newbie tips for anyone who missed

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226343561&postcount=2079

Amazing, thanks, man! I gather you are actually playing now? How did you like it?

Edit: Read throught all of it, awesome stuff. I only have a very minor correction: the Uncle Prime box has a cooldown of 20 hours, not 24. This seems to be a standard of similar timed features (Marvel Heroes 2016 has an item that spawns a chest with the same cooldown), to give some leeway and avoid people having to collect their reward later and later every day.

I'll read through my Meijin Tips to see if there is anything worth adding. One thing that's interesting (I believe it has already been mentioned in the thread but it bears repeating) is that the fireworks launcher becomes quite more powerful as it levels up, because it then fires actual fireworks that first embed into the enemy and then explode (it's rather underwhelming before that). The thing is, to level it up you actually have to use it, and people might try it, see it's not good, and skip it altogether, especially because it follows the expected trend in action games of having ranged weapons be very weak to compensate for their relative safety. Instead, it's a good idea to soften up enemies with melee weapons and finish them up with fireworks.

Aswitch

about 15hrs in and loving the game. Definitely one of the best free to play games ever. Actually felt so guility, didn't mind spending $5 to get some death metals. Does anyone know if you can increase your rank past 25? i believe i have the all arounder but the mingo head says that everything is at the MAX. I also noticed after i died by a collecter(and wasted all of my fucking death metals beforehand) that i can choose another character at a different rank? do you possibly have to start a new character that will be able to rank higher than 25 i'm guessing?

about 15hrs in and loving the game. Definitely one of the best free to play games ever. Actually felt so guility, didn't mind spending $5 to get some death metals. Does anyone know if you can increase your rank past 25? i believe i have the all arounder but the mingo head says that everything is at the MAX. I also noticed after i died by a collecter(and wasted all of my fucking death metals beforehand) that i can choose another character at a different rank? do you possibly have to start a new character that will be able to rank higher than 25 i'm guessing?
Once you get to floor 11, you unlock grade 2 fighters who can go up to level 50

MomoMura

Haven't had a tough time with any boss tbh, even Max. I feel like if you max your character and take time to level up your gear you should be able to slide through the game fairly easily

Haven't had a tough time with any boss tbh, even Max. I feel like if you max your character and take time to level up your gear you should be able to slide through the game fairly easily

Game seems to be doing "choose your own difficulty" excellently. (like mgsv/souls/etc before it)

hbkdx12

What's the consensus on two handed weapons? The recovery i see when enemies use it seems like a free invitation to be murdered.

I've grinded out my proficiency with the fireworks launcher. It's pretty good. I wonder how it fares above floor 10. That goretastic finisher is stupendous

I also leveled up my shooter. Im interested to see how firearms hold up. I'm also disappointed at the idea that even with full dexterity, your accuracy is never 100%. I miss like a quarter of the shots i take even when i have the reticle directly over the enemy

Lucent

What's the consensus on two handed weapons? The recovery i see when enemies use it seems like a free invitation to be murdered.

I've grinded out my proficiency with the fireworks launcher. It's pretty good. I wonder how it fares above floor 10. That goretastic finisher is stupendous

I use the two handed weapons on slow enemies or wait until they whiff.

I have had so many hunters sent after me today...what gives?

I mean it's not like they're much different than a hater but still, stop it.

sn00zer

So can this game be beat? If so can it be done without paying? Also overall is the game worth the time to beat it? I do like Grasshopper games

Syysch

The L2 attacks are generally a lot faster and shorter range, while R2 is great for punishing a long recovery. I had a steel axe whose L2 hit for ~800 and the R2 for ~1450. Not to mention the special attack on that thing is a definite spin to win that i oneshot several of the earlier bosses with.

They can be beasts with a more patient playstyle.

thisbeard

I know this has been asked a couple of times but I still don't get it...Do you get access to control the music at any point? Change the station? I'm pretty early on, haven't beaten a boss yet, but I can go in the arcade and access the radio only thing I can do is turn it on or off. Does the option to change stations become available later? Loving what I've heard so far, of course!

delSai

I know this has been asked a couple of times but I still don't get it...Do you get access to control the music at any point? Change the station? I'm pretty early on, haven't beaten a boss yet, but I can go in the arcade and access the radio only thing I can do is turn it on or off. Does the option to change stations become available later? Loving what I've heard so far, of course!

Yup, i think once you reach Floor 4 you can choose your station. The music only plays in the Arcade and Waiting Room tho, not the Tower.

thisbeard

Yup, i think once you reach Floor 4 you can choose your station. The music only plays in the Arcade and Waiting Room tho, not the Tower.

Oh man, yeah, it would be great if they could patch in a portable radio but... That's still super rad! Makes those songs all the more special when you do get to hear 'em! Thanks!

Man when I ride the DH express elevator I get bugged out 50 percent of the time and get sent back to the freezer and my active person is in there but invisible and when I back out I cant move...

So these raid wars...is it the more people raiding constantly, the more you're helping your team?
When your team is in a fight, you get auto assigned someone on the other team to raid when you visit the tdm. If you win, you get points for your team, and can raid again for your team. If you lose, you can't participate in the fight by raiding anymore, and you go back to normal, non fight raids. However, successful defenses against members of the rival team will still grant your team points, so you can passively help out with a stout defense until the fight period is over.

At the end of the time limit, the side with more points wins.

Given how large California started out (presumably by demographic), and how much it's grown since the UK fight (more people switching teams to it), I'm curious how this system will work out long term, since more bodies is more chances at points before you lose and get locked out.

Doesn't seem to be any limit to how many can join... Will eventually everyone just be on California?

Syysch

So these raid wars...is it the more people raiding constantly, the more you're helping your team?

With the fights between 2 regions, everyone in those regions are only able to raid the other region for 24 hours. Successful raids give you fight points (on top of standard rewards), winner is the team with most fight points at the end. Failing a raid prevents you from raiding anymore during that 24 hours. Everyone who contributed fight points gets rewards, winning side gets significantly higher rewards at the end of it.

Edit: you guys type too fast and typing on this phone is too slow, someone always answers before i finish :p

delSai

You get alot of SPLithium if your Team wins a War, i got 22k because Germany beat Texas.

Oh man, yeah, it would be great if they could patch in a portable radio but... That's still super rad! Makes those songs all the more special when you do get to hear 'em! Thanks!

I think many of us want this to be patched in. I would even be okay with having to collect Songs inside of the tower.

Lucent

I would legitimately buy a sixty dollar Let It Die without all the free to play horseshit.

I would, too. I wonder how much support this is gonna get besides balancing. Like how Warframe keeps getting updated with new features and stuff. Like what will there be to do after reaching the top of the tower? Would be awesome if eventually they added true character custom options. Even being able to dye my armor different colors would be nice.

Solal

I would legitimately buy a sixty dollar Let It Die without all the free to play horseshit.

Would you lind explaining whatthe f2p horseshit is in this game?

I played for an hour or so...enjoyed it a lot...but then stopped before facing a f2p shitty mechanics that would have made me rage.

So what's the catch? Can you really enjoy the whole game without spending money on it ( I dbe happy to give them money if the game is good...but I don't want to be manipulated by some shady mechanics or F2P rules...)?

Tx.

I played for an hour or so...enjoyed it a lot...but then stopped before facing a f2p shitty mechanics that would have made me rage.

So what's the catch? Can you really enjoy the whole game without spending money on it ( I dbe happy to give them money if the game is good...but I don't want to be manipulated by some shady mechanics or F2P rules...)?

Tx.

I honestly don't think there is any f2p horseshit. Its all well done and you can play and have fun without spending a penny. You can do everything with what the game gives you for playing.

delSai

Can you really enjoy the whole game without spending money on it

Honestly, you can enjoy the game without spending money. Sure, if you spend money things are going to be easier but thats pretty much it. Like, not having to pay for the elevator, getting more Coins, faster Health Regen...

Let it Die is easily one of the fairest Free 2 Play Games i have ever played. And i played alot of them. Without the Premium Express Pass, you have to put in a bit more work, but the F2P Elements are not "Horseshit".

audio_delay

Neo Member

Tx.

You can earn Dead metal by clearing quests and from login bonuses, so i would say yeah you can complete the game, if there is such a thing here, without paying.
If your fighter dies, you can pay with farmable killcoins to salvage them, but the price increase the further the body is up in the tower, it isn't fighter level dependent. So best thing to do is have one lucky star fighter to farm killcoins and not to use DM to continue. Alternatively you can try to salvage your dead fighter yourself, but iirc you will lose the stuff, kill coins and exp, he/she earned or collected.

Eh that wouldnt really go well with the games theme, Uncle is good in the position he's in :p

Fuck the game's theeeeeeeme. I'm talking about fun, baby. I want to skateboard around swinging a scythe, cracking wise and falling on my ass. That's the game I want to play.

delSai

Fuck the game's theeeeeeeme. I'm talking about fun, baby. I want to skateboard around swinging a scythe, cracking wise and falling on my ass. That's the game I want to play.

Time for a Spin-Off! You know what to do, Grasshopper & GungHo!

As the games true final boss? :p

On top of the tower, the game suddenly turns into Uncle Deaths Pro Skater, to beat him you need to score more points by pulling off some sick tricks.

...oh man now i'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

Top Bottom