• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let me put it like this: you suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanteFox

ColonelVirus said:
The world will become more united the day that religion dies. Religion is the cause of all wars. So get rid of religion and sorted. Pluss ofc talking to people in your head is a sign of mental illness, remember that.
Someone give this man a Nobel Prize.

Why didn't we think of this sooner?! It's been this simple the whole time!

fanboi

Banned
besada said:
Was there a special on teenage angst this week? Between this and Meus Renaissance's thread of whiny sadness, it's like GAF has been invaded by thirteen year old emo kids.

The world is like it's always been -- full of misery and joy and death and life and nastiness and kindness, all piled up and mixed together every second of every day in every spot on the globe.

If there's something in particular you want to make better, then go do it, but whinging about it on a message board isn't going to do anything but make you look like a twat.

You are not getting my point, or I'm unclear.

Of course there is going to be all that stuff. What I meant is a global goal, example the try fix the climate problem (if there is one?) Or make an big effort on fixing the starvation in third world countries etc etc.

I'm not saying living is horrendus, just that some situations should have been solved by now.

grumble

Economics is the cause of all wars, from what I can see.

Humans are a selfish, shortsighted, hedonistic, greedy, wasteful and fairly stupid and unobservant species. We are very poorly equipped to control our own destiny. Someday, we'll figure something out with artificial intelligence, and if we do things just right so it doesn't end up being skynet or a nationalistic dick extension, then maybe it can handle things for us while we happily live our lives.

I like liberty too, but not when it's equivalent to selfishness and sed slow-motion self-destruction. Slavish worship of the concept without context or limitations is foolish.

ColonelVirus

Neo Member
I dont see why :p Religion is behind most of our past wars, our belief systems stem from religious morals carried through the ages. It's what causes most issues of conflicts between people. I believe the world would be a much better place without it.

fanboi

Banned
ColonelVirus said:
I dont see why :p Religion is behind most of our past wars, our belief systems stem from religious morals carried through the ages. It's what causes most issues of conflicts between people. I believe the world would be a much better place without it.

Wrong people at wrong places using religion as excuse

teddyboi

Banned
ColonelVirus said:
The world will become more united the day that religion dies. Religion is the cause of all wars. So get rid of religion and sorted. Pluss ofc talking to people in your head is a sign of mental illness, remember that.

Take a history class please.

ColonelVirus said:

Most wars have to do with resources, religion is usually a red herring used as casus belli. Have there been exceptions? Sure, but not many.

besada

Banned
fanboi said:
I'm not saying living is horrendus, just that some situations should have been solved by now.

You're upset that all people won't work together in harmony toward the same goal. Get used to it. It's the way the world has always worked. We have differing opinions regarding the correct course of action in any situation, and nothing will ever change that.

Hoping the whole world is going to hold hands and join together in a common cause is naive to the point of delusion.

Where do you get the idea that humans ever have or ever will all agree on something? There's certainly no historical basis for it.

teddyboi

Banned
besada said:
You're upset that all people won't work together in harmony toward the same goal. Get used to it. It's the way the world has always worked. We have differing opinions regarding the correct course of action in any situation, and nothing will ever change that.

Hoping the whole world is going to hold hands and join together in a common cause is naive to the point of delusion.

Where do you get the idea that humans ever have or ever will all agree on something? There's certainly no historical basis for it.

I don't think he hopes it will happen. He moreso wishes it would happen. Therefore, he's not delusional.

fanboi

Banned
teddyboi said:
I don't think he hopes it will happen. He moreso wishes it would happen. Therefore, he's not delusional.

Wishes... more think it is strange in this day and age with all social interaction tools that have come that we haven't come farther.

And no, not upset...

When the entire world achieves enlightenment/realization, simultaneously ushering in a new age of compassion and world-peace... so, probably never.

Bregor

fanboi said:
... we all suck.

When is the world going to work together to a common goal that benefits the world? And not just their own interests.

Ex. the Copenhagen meeting is a prime example of how much we suck.

What will it take to unite the world on a common goal? Outside threat? Inside threat? Destroy those who oppose the common goal?

If the solutions to societies problems were so simple, we would have worked them out thousands of years ago. The reason we haven't is because the problems are much more complex than people like to admit, and there are no simple solutions. IMO, progress is being made, and the world is becoming a better place. But it will take time and hard work and many mistakes will be made along the way.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
fanboi said:
Wishes... more think it is strange in this day and age with all social interaction tools that have come that we haven't come farther.

Why? On an evolutionary scale we're about three hairs away from a baboon. Twitter and Facebook aren't going to change that. A human population that can put aside individual pursuits for a global good/common goal would be so foreign to the human experience they could very well be considered a separate species.

What you're talking about is a loooooong way off, if it's ever coming at all.

fanboi

Banned
Bregor said:
If the solutions to societies problems were so simple, we would have worked them out thousands of years ago. The reason we haven't is because the problems are much more complex than people like to admit, and there are no simple solutions. IMO, progress is being made, and the world is becoming a better place. But it will take time and hard work and many mistakes will be made along the way.

True.

And:

Monocle said:
That's because our struggle isn't yet complete. So what are we going to do? Shit on the graves of the pioneers of past centuries by surrendering to despair? Condemn our children to a bleak future? Or are we going to do our very best, not necessarily as a society but as conscientious individuals, to keep the ideals of higher civilization alive? It only takes the sparks of a few enlightened minds to keep the fire burning. We survived the Dark Ages. We can survive the challenges of today and tomorrow.

Is the best post in this thread.

Why? On an evolutionary scale we're about three hairs away from a baboon. Twitter and Facebook aren't going to change that. A human population that can put aside individual pursuits for a global good/common goal would be so foreign to the human experience they could very well be considered a separate species.

What you're talking about is a loooooong way off, if it's ever coming at all.

Yes, three hairs and a good damn country mile in social evolution.

SmokyDave

Monocle said:
That's because our struggle isn't yet complete. So what are we going to do? Shit on the graves of the pioneers of past centuries by surrendering to despair? Condemn our children to a bleak future? Or are we going to do our very best, not necessarily as a society but as conscientious individuals, to keep the ideals of higher civilization alive? It only takes the sparks of a few enlightened minds to keep the fire burning. We survived the Dark Ages. We can survive the challenges of today and tomorrow.
I'm a miserable git and even I found this post inspiring. This post needs filming and setting to a swelling orchestral piece.

We are all zombies to our governments. The constitution was written so that the people could take back and overthrow the government. Unfortunately we are all blind sheep and will never do anything to stand up for ourselves and we our now slaves to the people who are making big bucks.

I cant believe this new generation of kids growing up right now, they are some of the most fucking retarded kids I have ever seen, All dependent on technology and shit. We are fucked. The government has our kids right where they want them, sitting in line waiting to take orders.

I kinda hope we get hit by an asteroid or have yellowstone explode.

Davedough

We will never have a chance to "live as one" or get our shit together until God is proved/disproved. There is no unity because we cant even unite on a common ideology. Since civilized man rose from the jungles, we've waged wars with each other over religion. Even to this day, wars are being fought in the name of God because one group does not believe in the same instance of God as the other group. I personally feel there is no God, and because of that, people in my own nation are quick to cast me to the wolves and think badly of me. Once the God scenario is sorted, we will be one step closer.

As far as an alien race. That wont help things. If aliens did in fact exist and come here and did not actually want to harvest us or turn us into slaves, all it would do is breed a new level of hate and prejudice. We would unite with a united version of hate towards the newcomers. I think Alien Nation and District 9 summed up the ideas behind that theory quite well.

MisterHero

No, OP sucks

Don't take your frustrations out on other people. Yes other people have their own frustrations and have their own ways to deal with them. Aggravating them doesn't solve anything.

teddyboi

Banned
Davedough said:
We will never have a chance to "live as one" or get our shit together until God is proved/disproved. There is no unity because we cant even unite on a common ideology. Since civilized man rose from the jungles, we've waged wars with each other over religion. Even to this day, wars are being fought in the name of God because one group does not believe in the same instance of God as the other group. I personally feel there is no God, and because of that, people in my own nation are quick to cast me to the wolves and think badly of me. Once the God scenario is sorted, we will be one step closer.

As far as an alien race. That wont help things. If aliens did in fact exist and come here and did not actually want to harvest us or turn us into slaves, all it would do is breed a new level of hate and prejudice. We would unite with a united version of hate towards the newcomers. I think Alien Nation and District 9 summed up the ideas behind that theory quite well.

I love how everything's blamed on religion. Such a simple, close-minded look on things. "There is no unity because we can't even unite on a common ideology." That's such a scapegoat, citing religion solely as a causal reason for human division.

Aexact

I mean. Yeah, we have better communication now, miscellaneous advances in all sorts of fields. But it doesn't change where you were born, where you grew up, who your neighbors are, who your friends are likely to be, all these cultural/traditional understandings that make us different. Of course our goals would be different. What kind of goal are you thinking about, that you want the world to unify under? Whatever it might be, isn't it a bit presumptuous to say that your goal is more valuable then everyone else's?

uraldix

BakedPigeon said:
...I cant believe this new generation of kids growing up right now, they are some of the most fucking retarded kids I have ever seen...

I remember the adults saying this about my generation when I was a kid :D

teddyboi said:
I love how everything's blamed on religion. Such a simple, close-minded look on things. "There is no unity because we can't even unite on a common ideology." That's such a scapegoat, citing religion solely as a causal reason for human division.

It's not the only reason but it is a reason. It would be just as closed minded to say that religion plays no part in the worlds problems (I know you didn't say this)

Davedough said:

Are you saying that religion is the only reason for conflicting ideology? I can agree with you that it is definitely one of the problems. A lot of people use it as a false front for their own bigotry and prejudice. For example, I really doubt that everybody would be fine with gay people if only religion weren't around. There's always some people who are afraid of something different from them.

So I think we're in agreement here now that I read your post again. But I don't think that humans will ever be able to unite on a common ideology.

Davedough

teddyboi said:

I'm not saying it is the only reason, but you cannot say that it isn't a major part in the division of the people on this planet. Walk into Pakistan and preach about the Lord Jesus Christ and you're liable to get shot dead. Alternatively, send a Muslim to Alabama and have him try and teach people of the way of Allah and the prophet Mohammad and he too is likely to be swinging from a tree somewhere. I was merely pointing out that it is a major point of contention with uniting people. It is not close minded, its realist. But it is exactly typical of religious types to immediately jump on the extreme defensive when their shakey faith is questioned or even remotely called out.

teddyboi

Banned
uraldix said:
I remember the adults saying this about my generation when I was a kid :D

It's not the only reason but it is a reason. It would be just as closed minded to say that religion plays no part in the worlds problems (I know you didn't say this)

Religion is just as unifying as it is divisive. If you have religion, there will be people with another religion that will oppose yours. If you don't have religion, there will be people who will oppose you for something other than religion that may not have opposed you if there was a common religion.

uraldix

teddyboi said:
Religion is just as unifying as it is divisive. If you have religion, there will be people with another religion that will oppose yours. If you don't have religion, there will be people who will oppose you for something other than religion that may not have opposed you if there was a common religion.

I'll take that as we agree :D

Davedough

Wormdundee said:
Are you saying that religion is the only reason for conflicting ideology? I can agree with you that it is definitely one of the problems. A lot of people use it as a false front for their own bigotry and prejudice. For example, I really doubt that everybody would be fine with gay people if only religion weren't around. There's always some people who are afraid of something different from them.

So I think we're in agreement here now that I read your post again. But I don't think that humans will ever be able to unite on a common ideology.

You're right there. Even if there were to be a union of a common religion, we would find another reason to hate. It's been ingrained into our fabric for generations. Prejudice, jealousy and greed are three common factors with today's society that will always rise up unless there is some type of full on cleansing of the human psyche. Of course that is impossible, so at the end of the day I guess my opinion is that we will always suck in the ways that we are now, but we can only hope that we learn from our past and develop better relations with those around us. Shedding prejudice of any kind would go a long way towards helping the world focus on a common goal.... like how we'll stop raping the planet for our own greedy needs and figure out how to not destroy it.

Edit: After further review, I believe that if the world were able to rest neatly between Ms. Hendrick's breasts there, we would all get along just fine.

119yveb.gif

fanboi said:
... we all suck.

When is the world going to work together to a common goal that benefits the world? And not just their own interests.

What will it take to unite the world on a common goal? Outside threat? Inside threat? Destroy those who oppose the common goal?

The realisation that we've completely fucked this planet beyond our ability to repair it, and we have a limited time to get off of it or move underground before the surface becomes completely uninhabitable.

uraldix

Davedough said:
Edit: After further review, I believe that if the world were able to rest neatly between Ms. Hendrick's breasts there, we would all get along just fine.

Nah, we would fight over who gets the nipples.

Parts

I don't suck just because I want to take care of myself first, I'm smaaart. If people were a little more selfish emotionally we'd all be better off.

unomas

Banned
fanboi said:
... we all suck.

Newsflash, most people don't give a shit about making the world a better place. Unfortunate but true.

Purkake4

Banned
ColonelVirus said:

Looks like we have a new Samuel Huntington. :lol

dschalter

In the past two hundred years, the human race has seen an unprecedented increase in both wealth (unevenly distributed, but nonetheless all regions of the world grown very significantly) and peace. Religion has always become far less pervasive than it was. Also, while international co-operation, is still very weak, the very idea is a new one, it will take time to come about.

Alternatively, send a Muslim to Alabama and have him try and teach people of the way of Allah and the prophet Mohammad and he too is likely to be swinging from a tree somewhere.

Not really.

If there is something to be pessimistic about, imo, it's the potential proliferation of extremely destructive technologies. But aside from that, all the complaining when the world has experienced an incredible surge in wealth, a great decline in warfare and a considerable decline in religious faith is silly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
fanboi said:
... we all suck.

Inter-dimensional psychic squid monster or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom