• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be honest guys, FFXIII is a solid 7.5/10 (RTTP)

Bought it day 1 back in 2010, was obviously a bit disappointing but still had fun, put in about 45 hours but never beat the final boss.

After all the FF Type-0 and FFXV news, I decided to go back and finish the game.

Play this in the background for maximum effect: FFXIII Opening

Now, for the past few years people rag on this game like it's the worst thing ever. Going back, the first thing I noticed about the opening sequence is that the game is still gorgeous with a really cool world design. Let's break it down a bit more:

Graphics

They nailed this one. Final boss design was excellent and way better than what we got in FFXII. Overworld is gorgeous. Enemy designs were for the most part, very well done.

Gameplay

Again, they really nailed this part. For those who complain that it's "auto-win", you realize that FFXII required even less input from the player, right? (and I loved FFXII's battle system) Let's look at the battle system for the past 3 games:

FFX - press X, select attack, press X, press X, press X, select attack, press X, press X, etc. It's okay I guess, but pretty boring for the most part.

FFXII - once I got some good gambits set up, I never touched a button for all the battles or ever entered a manual command, even for the final boss. I thought this was pretty cool, but it's not for everyone.

FFXIII - similar to FFXII, but I had to constantly shift paradigms, especially for the harder bosses. Streamlined for the player, but with more input than FFXII. Instead of starting out a battle and manually casting protect/shell/whatever, simply switch to COM/SYN/SYN and the system casts for you. Then switch to COM/RAV/RAV to slow stagger bar, then switch to RAV/RAV/RAV to stagger faster. Just like the traditional battle system except you don't have to manually select each magic spell painstakingly; the system does it for you. Setting up the paradigms and figuring out how to level your characters and choose spells to maximize paradigm effectiveness was really fun too.

Story

Okay this I admit this part was lacking. Confusing story that could have been handled better. The basic gist from what I got was (minor spoilers)
Something about Cocoon and they were fated to become crystals and traveled to escape that fate
. Whatever, I'm not playing a video game for a Shakespearean storyline. -1 point on this front.

Characters

First of all, the character designs were pretty great for the most part. I didn't like Hope's design too much but that's about it. It's really the poor characterization and dialogue that makes you cringe. Whatever, they were bad in FFX as well. Never cared for Waka or Lulu and Tidus was a dork. Lightning for me was fine as a character in FFXIII. I only dislike her because they put her in every other game after and made all those sequels. But looking at FFXIII independently, she wasn't bad. -0.5 for characters.

Music

They nailed this one. Let's be honest.

World

Really cool designs and ideas. Most people complain about the linearity but FFX was also super-linear. I feel like people don't remember this because they hadn't played it in so long. Both games were really long corridors, except FFX had wider corridors and a couple of towns in between. Just turn off the world map if it really bothers you that much. -0.5 for linearity.

Towns

Didn't really bother me too much. Does it really matter whether you bought items at a save point or if there's an NPC that says some generic crap then you buy the items? Pretty much the same thing. I guess it would have been cool to have something like Rabanastre from FFXII. -0.5 for lack of towns.

In conclusion, it's a flawed game that got a lot of things right. If you set your expectations properly it's a lot of fun. People talk about FFXIII like it's the spawn of satan and single-handedly destroy the franchise, when in reality it's about a 7.5 and FFX is about an 8. I even wondered to myself how I was able to put ~50 hours into the game until I went back to play it and said "oh yeah, they did a lot of stuff right." Hopefully people can set their expectations better and then they won't inevitably be massively disappointed by FFXV.

TL;DR:
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics:10/10
Music: 10/10
-1 for story
-0.5 for dialog
-0.5 for no HD towns
-0.5 for linearity

7.5/10. It's flawed but fun. It's not the worst game ever made.

Synless

I give it an unwavering 8/10. It was still better than 85% of the RPG's that came out last gen. I would be willing to bet most people who hate on the game never even got past the first 15-20 hours or played it at all.

jiggle

It was pretty middling
The linearity and lack of depth were its biggest offenses

But practically a masterpiece compared to the shitful xiii2 and dress up: barbie returns

Carbonox

I think it's a very enjoyable and gorgeous game. Shallow in many ways though with some horribly forced limitations and far too grindy by even FF standards but I loved it.

Dawg

Again, they really nailed this part. For those who complain that it's "auto-win", you realize that FFXII required even less input from the player, right? (and I loved FFXII's battle system)

FFXIII - similar to FFXII, but I had to constantly shift paradigms, especially for the harder bosses. Streamlined for the player, but with more input than FFXII. Instead of starting out a battle and manually casting protect/shell/whatever, simply switch to COM/SYN/SYN and the system casts for you. Then switch to COM/RAV/RAV to slow stagger bar, then switch to RAV/RAV/RAV to stagger faster. Just like the traditional battle system except you don't have to manually select each magic spell painstakingly; the system does it for you. Setting up the paradigms and figuring out how to level your characters and choose spells to maximize paradigm effectiveness was really fun too.

Gameplay: 10/10

wrqFM5m.gif

Graphics and music are debatable, but you won't convince me with the gameplay.

ash321

It's your opinion, you can give whatever the score you want, as long as you happy with it.

For me ? this game is a shit show that deserve 0/10.

I don't agree, the game is a mess and I wouldn't even give it a 5/10.

The story is a convoluted mess, the game treats you like a baby for hours, the characters never really shine at all and I couldn't even give a fuck when something sad happened. The only thing I liked was the music.

I'd maybe give it an 8. I had a lot of issues with it, but thought it was generally great (especially that music omg). I don't regret playing it all.

Eggbok

I could be wrong but weren't towns scrapped because they started making the 360 version?
Considering the 360 version was already 4 discs without them.

eXistor

It's a 6.5 in my book. It has its moments (Gran Pulse is where I spent most my time and it was fun for quite some hours). Everything outside that was middling at best. By far the worst mainline FF I've played, but the two sequels were much better, especially Lightning Returns.

sn00zer

10/10 in my book

this is what every game should strive to be like; no padding

Dude I played that game for 5 hours and did literally nothing but auto battle and use maybe 3 potions....the fact that it take 10-15 hrs "to get good" is the definition of padding

Solid 1/10 in MY book.

Points breakdown:

Graphics 4/10 (nice in 2006, outdated in 2010)
Music 1/10 (worst OST in the series)
Gameplay 0/10 (just awful)
Story and characters -1/10 (no comment)

udivision

If FFXV had come out not too long after, we probably wouldn't have stewed on FFXIII for an entire generation and our perception of it wouldn't have been as negative, I feel.

Mr. RHC

It is not the worst game I have ever played, but if I'm honest with myself, for the story alone it is a 4.0.
But 7.0 seems fair all around. + Good graphics, +good music,
+fairly enjoyable battlesystem.

However, I made sure to never buy a XIII title again.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I give it a 9.5/10. It's personally my favorite Final Fantasy game. It has the best cast of characters in the franchise and one of the best cast ever IMO. The story is also one of the best stories in the franchise. Love the game so much! (I have played FF 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12)

kenta

Has no PEINS
I agree with much of your assessment, but if you're hoping to understand where the game's critics come from, you need to realize that you compared to FFX as your gold standard throughout your post. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you were to go back and play FFVI or FFIX.

Personally I enjoyed it quite a bit, however it was obvious to see where it fell short in terms of its lineage

Mman235

10/10 in my book

this is what every game should strive to be like; no padding

The game is a like if you removed all the actual content from a JRPG beyond combat (and then screwed that up by spamming repetitive encounters in a game with no real resource management).

Nocturno999

I don't think gameplay is a 10. The interaction was minimal, no exploration which is one of the features I love the most in the series and a nonsensical crafting/trading system.

Holykael1

Banned
I love FF XIII.. But no padding?????
Yeah because having a 4 hour corridor of nothing but 5 minute battles is not padding!
If I had to score aspect by aspect:
Gameplay - 8/10 - The only cons being that bosses and later enemies are bullet sponges unless you do sidequests in Pulse and the paradigm shift animation imo. The exploration is obviously lacking not to mention the linearity but it's something that doesn't bother me, sidequests were good.
Pacing - 6/10 - Fight Fight Fight x 1000 - Cutscene - Fight Fight Fight Fight x 1000 - Cutscene.. Pacing was great initially and towards the end though.
Graphics - 9/10
Music - 8.5/10 - Great atmosphere, very beautiful melodies.
Story - 7/10 - The main plot is very barebones and straightforward to a fault, there is some depth to the lore and some cool world building given that you read the datalogs.
Characters - 8/10 - I think all of them have a decent amount of development and their actions/motivations were generally understandable and well explained.
Dialogue - 5/10 - It's cheesy and it can get cringey at times but I can tolerate it personally.
Overall - 8/10

ash321

If FFXV had come out not too long after, we probably wouldn't have stewed on FFXIII for an entire generation and our perception of it wouldn't have been as negative, I feel.

If they don't produce 2 sequel and make another shit show that is FFXIV, make a new good game (FFXIVARR). I think people will just look at the game at one of the SE misstep, but they don't so ...

Jonnax

It's a final fantasy game. The story is supposed to be a huge part of the game and that was a failure.
Everyone and everything was crap. I didn't care for anyone in the story especially Lighting. As pointless jargon filled and bare bones as Destiny's story.

Servbot24

Banned
Absolutely a 7.5 game. Correct score.

I feel like when a lot of gamers sense a game going down near the 7 range they just go "eh fuck it this game is a 0".

Started it twice. Stopped both times after 4-7 hours in depending on playthrough. Only time this has ever happened with a Final Fantasy title. The characters were terrible. Even a bad story you can stomach if you have interesting characters.

AnotherCastle

Neo Member
It's a good game. I don't really think there's anything that betrays the quality about it being linear to begin with. I think-- as long as it's the appropriate format given the story-- linear is not always a bad thing.

The only thing that really bothers me is how easy the combat is. I don't mean as in mastering it, I just mean that I rarely found myself challenged by bosses.

JordanKZ

It's a solid £9.89 if you ask me.

On a serious note, FFXIII is a fantastic presentation piece. It's really beautiful and has a fantastic soundtrack. But the gameplay is some of the worst of the series and the story, holy shit. The story and characters are just unbearable.

Ramza

Banned
It's a solid £9.89 if you ask me.

On a serious note, FFXIII is a fantastic presentation piece. It's really beautiful and has a fantastic soundtrack. But the gameplay is some of the worst of the series and the story, holy shit. The story and characters are just unbearable.

I like the way you think. I really do.

Alex

XIII2 and LR are around that, for me, flawed but fun.

XIII is like... a 4. Barely a game and the plot and characters are just awful to fall back on. Also, to hell with Hamauzu and his obnoxiously flowery, nine years to ramp up, no legacy tunes bullshit. Music didn't get good until they got Mizuta on board.

Banned
It was a good game but a poor final fantasy. The expectations are higher for FF. It was my first FF I ever beat. XIII-2 was the second. I can't finish the earlier ones for some reason. I keep trying and end up moving on to another game.

The thing about final fantasy games is they are really made or broken on the story. The actual mechanics were good in ff xiii were fun, but each final fantasy game is an adventure, there has to be a solid motivation for why you're beating up all those baddies, and ffxiii' plot was offensively bad to me as were it's characters.

Keep in mind I'll tell you that gameplay is all that matters 99 percent of the time. But not final fantasy. Without the gripping story it just can't measure up. A good game? Sure. Good for a final fantasy game? Not on your life.

I also thought the music was forgettable and bad. No idea what people see in that soundtrack, I can't stand it. There were a couple of decent tunes but for the Most part it was the worst music in the series.

Top Bottom