• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's build the ultimate kung-fu DVD collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezy

I have Master of the Flying Guillotine and The 36th Chamber of Shaolin on DVD, but I haven't watched either one yet. Actually, they're the only DVDs I own that I haven't watched yet. I'll make sure to fix that before this week is over.

Clevinger

I have fond memories of watching this as a kid with my brother:

258724l.jpg

hteng

Banned
all the Jet Li love but no "Once upon a time in China" ? come on, that's pretty much the movie series that made him famous.

Wong_Fei_Hung.jpg

Daigoro

nailed in the 3rd post. Shaw Bros! so damn good.

anything Gordon Liu. 36 Chambers (aka Master Killer is an all time classic, 8 diagram pole fighter as well).

there are so many others, and im drawing a serious blank right now. also so many movies have multiple names for them, hard to remeber.

lots of good old Crane and Tiger style movies no one mentioned yet.

holy crap, anyone remeber Super Ninjas and The Kid With The Golden Arm? awesome flicks right there.

Tokubetsu

EYEL1NER said:
Same here. And I really haven't seen too many of his movies either :lol

He hasn't had a lot of big starring roles until recently (past 8 or so years). He's kinda blossoming now. Bout god damn time too. He's been awesome forever.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't really have a recommendation for this thread but you folks seems to know your kung fu movies so maybe you can help.

I remember seeing an old kung fu movie when I was 4-5 years old (so the movie would have to be from earlier than 1983) about these ghosts that go around killing / fighting people. I remember one scene that freaked me out what this guy opened up a bathroom stall and one of the ghosts ripped his eyes out. I also want to say that one of the ghosts may have called himself "Tiger" or something like that. Its been years since I've seen it so my details may be off but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've always wondered what that movie was.

Baron Aloha said:
I don't really have a recommendation for this thread but you folks seems to know your kung fu movies so maybe you can help.

I remember seeing an old kung fu movie when I was 4-5 years old (so the movie would have to be from earlier than 1983) about these ghosts that go around killing / fighting people. I remember one scene that freaked me out what this guy opened up a bathroom stall and one of the ghosts ripped his eyes out. I also want to say that one of the ghosts may have called himself "Tiger" or something like that. Its been years since I've seen it so my details may be off but does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've always wondered what that movie was.

Might not be the movie you looking for but it is the best in it's genre.

anyflx.jpg

and part 3

a_chinese_ghost_story_3_n.jpg

Mareg

Woah, suscribed to this awesome thread.

My all time favorite is still Fist of Legend. I hope this thread will net me some even better Kung-fu flicks. GAF don't fail me !!!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Allow me to introduce some overlooked gems:

aif.jpg

amab.jpg

brvarch.jpg

cdwm.jpg

dho.jpg

irnmn.jpg

kwtga.jpg

lgnwpshao.jpg

lsthrrfrchv.jpg

mocb.jpg

tho.jpg

wts.jpg

I guarantee that I own more of these flicks than anyone here. :lol

Mystery Of Chess Boxing is legendary. Great choreography.

Nizz

K.Jack, those are some awesome picks. Dirty Ho is an overlooked little gem. Gordon "Prince 11" Liu.

Legendary Weapons of China I could have sworn also goes by the name of Legendary Weapons of Kung-Fu?

Like someone else mentioned, sometimes the same film will have a different name...

Bleepey

Tokubetsu said:
m0utw.jpg

I remember living in Jamaica and my neighbor renting Fist of the North Star and old 70s kungfu movies for me on vhs. Then he rented this for me and it pretty much changed my life :lol

Black Mask, Fist of Legend and Hero are probably the 3 Jet Li movies I can't live without but he's got a strong collection. Once upon a time in china, The bodyguard etc. Also for a Western production, this is also one of my favorites:

333j09w.jpg

God bless siblings and them introducing younger brothers to martial arts flicks. I had cousins introduce me to martial arts movies and i am starting to get my brother hooked on the little stuff, Shaolin soccer, Rush Hours Police stories etc but at 10 Bruce Lee movies are a bit much for him. I know i watched 18s at fucking 8 but i wanna wait till he is at least 11:lol :lol

Himuro said:
For building up a beefy kung fu collection you can't go wrong with Dragon Dynasty, the biggest kung fu movie publisher in America.

http://www.dragondynasty.com/

Check out that list of theirs.

In fact, if you want to get into Asian Cinema in general, Dragon Dynasty is the best place to start, publisher wise.

Excellent list! The Progidal Son :bow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Legends

For Pal gaf HKL for extras and quality although defunct you can't go wrong. I would say the OUATIC movies, Big Boss, Iron monkey out of the strictly Kung fu flicks. I remember really liking Yuen Biao's above the law when i was 8 but i ain't seen it since.

K.Jack

fps fanatic said:
K.Jack, those are some awesome picks. Dirty Ho is an overlooked little gem. Gordon "Prince 11" Liu.

Legendary Weapons of China I could have sworn also goes by the name of Legendary Weapons of Kung-Fu?

Like someone else mentioned, sometimes the same film will have a different name...
Correct, it's the same movie.

While it's not my absolute favorite, I wouldn't object if anyone said that Legendary Weapons of China is the best Shaw Brothers flick available.

K.Jack

There was once an era, where the English dub was a major part of the experience. I was there.

Speaking of dubs, if you're going to watch Iron Monkey in English, you have to find the original dub, because the remastered DVD release is actually a newer redone version, and it freaking SUCKS compared to the English dub found on the original VHS. I was appalled by the newer version.

fyi

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
LiveFromKyoto said:
Holy shit, that was awesome. I just watched the whole thing at work and I was cackling like a madman. That villain killed his master, his master's master, his master's master's master and his girlfriend. WTF, what a dick.

Best damn film ever made. How awesome are the moves? The "palm to the head" is awesome:lol

Daigoro

damn that guys youtube page has a shitload of amazing flicks uploaded. im going to check some out.

and how could i forget 5 Deadly Venoms and Mystery of Chessboxing? major classics.

*what was the movie where the villian had the iron balls (where he could trap a stike and like suck a foot up into his nutsack or something :lol ) and the young kid trained on the dummy to find the preassure points? that shit was good. i think i have it on VHS somewhere.

edit: Oh Shit! he has Crippled Avengers up! that movie fucking rules.

K.Jack

Daigoro said:
*what was the movie where the villian had the iron balls (where he could trap a stike and like suck a foot up into his nutsack or something :lol ) and the young kid trained on the dummy to find the preassure points? that shit was good. i think i have it on VHS somewhere.
That's Fist Of The White Lotus aka The Fists Of The White Lotus aka Clan Of The White Lotus.

Mareg

OMG this thread already delivered !

I watched IP Man last night. IP Man +1 !!!111!!!
I was expecting a good kung fu movie. I wasn't expecting a great movie overall. This is the type of flick I could even watch with the wife. It was that good.

Its on par with Fist of Legend for the kung fu part. One scene was particularly heavy and tense. It was reminescent of the best scenes in Fist of Legend.

Its going to sit at my top 5 kung fu movie. I will dig deeper in this awesome thread to find other gems. GO GO Gaf, I need to build the ultimate kung fu flick collection :D

Stitch

Gold Member
there are so many good kung-fu movies, some were already mentioned here and I'm too lazy to go through all my DVDs now (almost 1000, not all of them are martial arts... but most them are) so I just name a few i have in my head right now

this is a must have! :D
crippled avengers
mmpen5.jpg

angela mao also rocks. well, most of the time. himalayan was kinda boring

hapkido
2jaf02v.jpg

broken oath
mu9ag8.jpg

when taekwondo strikes
bdppp5.jpg

also everything with simon yuen, the Drunken Master!! :D

i4r321.jpg
2194cib.jpg
hwa45f.jpg

eh and more. he was basically always doing the same character :D

Nizz

K.Jack said:
There was once an era, where the English dub was a major part of the experience. I was there.

Speaking of dubs, if you're going to watch Iron Monkey in English, you have to find the original dub, because the remastered DVD release is actually a newer redone version, and it freaking SUCKS compared to the English dub found on the original VHS. I was appalled by the newer version.

fyi
I said the same thing in an earlier post, I actually like the copy I have on VHS more than the recently released DVD.

I like that cut of the movie better, as well as the music. Don't like the change in the music in the DVD version. You found an english dub on VHS?

I ended up finding a sub-titled version on VHS. I really should try to get that movie transferred to a DVD. I'm worried about the VHS breaking on me, and I really like that version...

fatty

I have a decent collection of kung-fu movies, but I haven’t watched them in years. So I was thinking of getting back into them and seeing what I’ve missed, and thankfully I see this thread. Talk about perfect timing.

I’ve seen classics mentioned along with ones that are new to me. I will just mention my picks (and further confirming other choices), to help those new to the genre and wondering what to start with.

Iron Monkey – Fantastic fight scenes. It was probably my first take on a “modern” movie done in a classic kung fu setting. Before seeing this film I was used to the 1970’s kung fu movies, which I found quite boring. When I saw this one I thought “that’s what kung fu movies need to be like!” I saw it when I was much more familiar with the different types of movies out there but for a while I was pretty clueless. Little did I know that there were some gems out there that I didn’t know existed, like…

Fist of the White Lotus – I saw this back in college when TBS (or maybe it was USA or TNT) actually profiled different kung fu movies. It was my first time seeing Gordon Liu and it took me years to find out what this movie was called. The way Gordon Liu wields a weapon is a site to behold and it was then that I had more of an appreciation of a good kung fu film.

Police Force (i.e. Police Story) – Again, back in college, my local grocery store rented VHS tapes and I remember seeing this on the shelf. Up until this time my only familiarity with Jackie Chan was with his horrible US stuff like The Protector. I was bored in college with some time to kill so why not give it a shot. From the first few minutes with the chase down the hill involving the bus I was hooked. Some of the best stunts I’ve ever seen are in this movie. The last scene inside of the mall has to be one of the best fight scenes of all time.

After Police Story, I became an addict, trying to consume whatever I could. I was talking to a guy I worked with about Jackie Chan and I found out he was a fountain of Hong Kong movie info. I was in heaven. It was like I found a drug dealer and he introduced me to the next big high…Jet Li. You’ve got to remember that back then, it was very hard to come by good Kung Fu, the internet was just starting so I had no idea what to look for. You just had to have a friend who was “in the know”. He told me about a section at the City Market that would sell these action movies that opened up this whole new world to me. He let me borrow a movie called Bodyguard in Beijing, and it was then when I saw the light.

Fist of Legend - After seeing the final fight seen in Bodyguard in Beijing, I tried to track down every Jet Li movie I could. Thinking back I think Fist of Legend is my favorite. Up until then I didn’t care for Bruce Lee. I think it was that I was not yet born or too young, but after watching Fist of Legend (an homage to Fists of Fury), I not only thoroughly enjoyed Jet Li’s skill but had more of an appreciation of Bruce Lee’s work. I love the choreography in the dojo (and the camera shot from above).

Ehh, I’m rambling too much (but nostalgia is fun) so I’ll try to be a little more concise and to the point:

Dragon’s Forever – Seeing three of the finest action stars in one movie is truly special. This is the movie that made me realize that there are more stars out there than just Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Yuen Baio does some great acrobatics when fighting on those warehouse platforms.

House of Flying Daggers – Similar to the ‘epic style’ movies like Hero and Crouching Tiger, but if you want to see some of the best cinematography out there, check this movie out. Awesome use of color. And it has the beautiful Ziyi Zhang.

Ong Bak - Tony Jaa reminds me of a hybrid of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, and that’s a good thing.

Forgive me for the long winded post but this thread was the kick in the pants that I needed to rejuvenate my love for these movies. There are so many more movies I can recommend but I think this is a pretty good list for those interested in these films and are wondering where to start. So many picks already mentioned in this thread that I can’t wait to see.

Final bit of trivia: Anyone ever watch that short lived American tv series starring Sammo Hung? Can anyone name it off the top of their head without doing any research? (I was trying to remember it while typing this whole post but just now finally remembered)

Stitch

Gold Member
fatty said:
Anyone ever watch that short lived American tv series starring Sammo Hung? Can anyone name it off the top of their head without doing any research? (I was trying to remember it while typing this whole post but just now finally remembered)
Martial Law

LazyLoki

fatty said:
I have a decent collection of kung-fu movies, but I haven’t watched them in years. So I was thinking of getting back into them and seeing what I’ve missed, and thankfully I see this thread. Talk about perfect timing.

I’ve seen classics mentioned along with ones that are new to me. I will just mention my picks (and further confirming other choices), to help those new to the genre and wondering what to start with.

Iron Monkey – Fantastic fight scenes. It was probably my first take on a “modern” movie done in a classic kung fu setting. Before seeing this film I was used to the 1970’s kung fu movies, which I found quite boring. When I saw this one I thought “that’s what kung fu movies need to be like!” I saw it when I was much more familiar with the different types of movies out there but for a while I was pretty clueless. Little did I know that there were some gems out there that I didn’t know existed, like…

Fist of the White Lotus – I saw this back in college when TBS (or maybe it was USA or TNT) actually profiled different kung fu movies. It was my first time seeing Gordon Liu and it took me years to find out what this movie was called. The way Gordon Liu wields a weapon is a site to behold and it was then that I had more of an appreciation of a good kung fu film.

Police Force (i.e. Police Story) – Again, back in college, my local grocery store rented VHS tapes and I remember seeing this on the shelf. Up until this time my only familiarity with Jackie Chan was with his horrible US stuff like The Protector. I was bored in college with some time to kill so why not give it a shot. From the first few minutes with the chase down the hill involving the bus I was hooked. Some of the best stunts I’ve ever seen are in this movie. The last scene inside of the mall has to be one of the best fight scenes of all time.

After Police Story, I became an addict, trying to consume whatever I could. I was talking to a guy I worked with about Jackie Chan and I found out he was a fountain of Hong Kong movie info. I was in heaven. It was like I found a drug dealer and he introduced me to the next big high…Jet Li. You’ve got to remember that back then, it was very hard to come by good Kung Fu, the internet was just starting so I had no idea what to look for. You just had to have a friend who was “in the know”. He told me about a section at the City Market that would sell these action movies that opened up this whole new world to me. He let me borrow a movie called Bodyguard in Beijing, and it was then when I saw the light.

Fist of Legend - After seeing the final fight seen in Bodyguard in Beijing, I tried to track down every Jet Li movie I could. Thinking back I think Fist of Legend is my favorite. Up until then I didn’t care for Bruce Lee. I think it was that I was not yet born or too young, but after watching Fist of Legend (an homage to Fists of Fury), I not only thoroughly enjoyed Jet Li’s skill but had more of an appreciation of Bruce Lee’s work. I love the choreography in the dojo (and the camera shot from above).

Ehh, I’m rambling too much (but nostalgia is fun) so I’ll try to be a little more concise and to the point:

Dragon’s Forever – Seeing three of the finest action stars in one movie is truly special. This is the movie that made me realize that there are more stars out there than just Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Yuen Baio does some great acrobatics when fighting on those warehouse platforms.

House of Flying Daggers – Similar to the ‘epic style’ movies like Hero and Crouching Tiger, but if you want to see some of the best cinematography out there, check this movie out. Awesome use of color. And it has the beautiful Ziyi Zhang.

Ong Bak - Tony Jaa reminds me of a hybrid of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, and that’s a good thing.

Forgive me for the long winded post but this thread was the kick in the pants that I needed to rejuvenate my love for these movies. There are so many more movies I can recommend but I think this is a pretty good list for those interested in these films and are wondering where to start. So many picks already mentioned in this thread that I can’t wait to see.

Final bit of trivia: Anyone ever watch that short lived American tv series starring Sammo Hung? Can anyone name it off the top of their head without doing any research? (I was trying to remember it while typing this whole post but just now finally remembered)

'Martial Law', the lead character was called Sammo Law IIRC.

EDIT: well, i hit reply and then went to watch 'Master of the Shaolin' aka 'The legend of the red dragon'. I think that's a good enough excuse for being 2 hours too slow...

Is there a similar thread for old samurai flicks? I've recently gained an appreciation for those...

My favorites are Yojimbo and Seven Samurai.

K.Jack

fps fanatic said:
I said the same thing in an earlier post, I actually like the copy I have on VHS more than the recently released DVD.

I like that cut of the movie better, as well as the music. Don't like the change in the music in the DVD version. You found an english dub on VHS?

I ended up finding a sub-titled version on VHS. I really should try to get that movie transferred to a DVD. I'm worried about the VHS breaking on me, and I really like that version...
Yeah, the 2001 redo pretty much missed on all accounts. They even edited some of the violence from a few scenes. Plus, the new sound effects don't fit the fantasy violence as well..

The English VHS I bought at it's release in either 1999 or 2000. This looks to be a copy of it. That yellow bar looks shopped onto the picture. Actually, Amazon has quite a few. I'm buying one now.

The first dub is great, the second is ehh. Who doesn't keep a gem like, "Governor, the monkey is showing his ass!"

Commodore_Perry said:
Is there a similar thread for old samurai flicks? I've recently gained an appreciation for those...

do yourself a favor and watch Samurai 1-3, staring Toshiro Mifune. Although not as good as the book its very good in its own right. i remember after seeing the movies i read the book and boy was i amazed at all the detail and expansion on the universe.

oh and a bunch of great films have already been listed, defintily flashpoint with donnie yuen...i might watch that now.

one i havent seen mentioned in this thread is another Shaw Bros. film: The Two Champions of Shaolin. and police story 3( aka Super Cop in America) great movie, in my top 5:D

EYEL1NER

Commodore_Perry said:

Watch all of the old Zatoichi films. A wandering blind masseuse who happens to be a master swordsman. I used to catch them on IFC's Samurai Saturday or whatever it was called. The films are ace, mang. Shintaro Katsu is the man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom