• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's clear up the reason for Squaresoft's "demise" and why Square and Enix merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamauchi

Banned
Good original post, but there's no need to put the word demise in quotation marks. That is most certainly the most appropriate word to describe the situation.

anaron

Good original post, but there's no need to put the word demise in quotation marks. That is most certainly the most appropriate word to describe the situation.
I know, I know.

the thing is, I just wanted to highlight the fact that *financially* the company had recovered well from TSW instead of the common bankruptcy misbelief that forced the merger stuff.

It certainly was dying otherwise though, for sure.

Toth

That is not true though. SE has turned back to profitable quarters and this quarter should be no different with DQX's expansion, FFXIV ARR, LR (and WW sales), and FFXHD. You may not like their current library but they are now way in a 'dire' crisis.

MogCakes

That is not true though. SE has turned back to profitable quarters and this quarter should be no different with DQX's expansion, FFXIV ARR, LR (and WW sales), and FFXHD. You may not like their current library but they are now way in a 'dire' crisis.

Agree.

So the FF movie crippled them, and Wada cut off the leg. Something like that?

That's how I interpreted it.

So the FF movie crippled them, and Wada cut off the leg. Something like that?

More like the FF movie crippled them, Sony helped Square with their recovery in the hospital, EA comes to drop some cookies off and let them know they are still covering for them (distribution deals of FFIX), Square made a good recovery, got to the hospital entrance and bam, Wada got a chainsaw and sawed off the leg.

Didn't even let Square leave the hospital.

Yamauchi

Banned
Oh, don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm just hating.

wmlk

Square back in the days had an overabundance of talent.

If you remember, Tetsuya Takahashi left Square right as the PS1 era was ending. He directed Xenogears, the Xenosaga games, Xenoblade, and now "X" for the Wii U. If you want to talk about Nomura, Itou, and Matsuno as amazing talent from back then, it would be a crime to leave out Takahashi. He's arguably as important as Nomura.

You guys should read this, it's fascinating. It's an Iwata Asks between himself, Sakaguchi, and Takahashi. They talk about Square back in the day, RPG elements, and JRPGs on the world stage.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...kaguchi/2-Going-Solo/2-Going-Solo-211236.html

anaron

Square back in the days had an overabundance of talent.

If you remember, Tetsuya Takahashi left Square right as the PS1 era was ending. He directed Xenogears, the Xenosaga games, Xenoblade, and now "X" for the Wii U. If you want to talk about Nomura, Itou, and Matsuno as amazing talent from back then, it would be a crime to leave out Takahashi. He's arguably as important as Nomura.

You guys should read this, it's fascinating. It's an Iwata Asks between himself, Sakaguchi, and Takahashi. They talk about Square back in the day, RPG elements, and JRPGs on the world stage.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...kaguchi/2-Going-Solo/2-Going-Solo-211236.html

Was going to link that in the OP but I filled my word limit! LOL

It's a brilliant interview, people. Check it out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont see how The Spirits Within isn't the catalyst here.

Wada was poison, but was only allowed in because of TSW.

Cheerilee

Vice President Hironobu Sakaguchi also commented on the remakes of Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, saying that it is "technically impossible to develop on the WonderSwan Color," and he expressed interest in developing them for Nintendo's next-generation handheld console, the Game Boy Advance. Though relations between the companies have recently been distant, Suzuki stated that "we will do our best to have our games on the Nintendo system."

I remembered there being a follow up statement from Hiroshi Yamauchi.

January 28, 2001

And if all of this wasn’t enough, there is a part in the press release concerning Square (not mentioned in the English translation). I decided to ask Planet’s two Japanese translators how they interpreted the news. Desmond told me Yamauchi said “there is no chance that Square will develop for GBA.” Dragona seemed unclear, but had a more positive interpretation: “What was said was that they had the liberty to make a contract/agreement. The possibilty though is low. I don't think it's an outright ‘f**k you square.’” She was quick to add: “I'd go with Des on this though. I haven't slept. I couldn't get his context but remember, this is Yamauchi; if he has an opinion, he'll bloody well air it.”

Many of you may be wondering what gives… Desmond recently informed me that one of his sources in Japan told him that Square have already applied to GBA development awhile back and were rejected by Nintendo. Why? Apparently, there is a clause that GBA developers must have worked on GBC game. Because Square have not, they were exempt. This may explain why Square’s Final Fantasy remakes have been on the WonderSwan thus far—and provide some insight to Square’s recently statement: “we will do our best to provide software for the Nintendo console.”

Reasons could be more personal too. Many are already of the opinion that Nintendo is doing this simply to get back at Square. I don’t know what gives Nintendo the right, though I wouldn’t put something like this past Yamauchi.

Yamauchi later (after Hisashi Suzuki resigned) had to bribe Square to make a GameCube game.

I remembered there being a follow up statement from Hiroshi Yamauchi.

January 28, 2001

Yamauchi later (after Hisashi Suzuki resigned) had to bribe Square to make a GameCube game.

The Q Fund was hardly a bribe, Nintendo invested equity into GDS and this partially paid for the development of the one game for the Gamecube as Sony had an exclusive for mainline FF and had considerable influence over Square's revenue streams, so it was a way to work around the situation. The GBA games were developed outside of the Q Fund or GDS and were generally very profitable with Tactics selling over a million. SE eventually bought out GDS and made Yamauchi whole.

While The Spirits Within was a financial failure and played its role in hurting the company, it did not destroy Squaresoft nor did it force the company to merge with Enix. Sparking the interest of others and myself, a few select gaffer's provided fascinating and lesser known details that seemed to add up and make a ton of sense considering the general structure and output in the last decade. Through LevelNth and Drek's insight on the subject, here is Cheerilee's simplified summary on the issues that never seem to be recognized.

The reason it's never recognized is because the blame he is placing is incorrect. Yoichi Wada was an inevitability after Square's stock price continued to crater despite the investment by Sony and the success of Kingdom Hearts and FFX - they were having tremendous difficulty managing cashflows. The merger basically unlocked tremendous value in Square's stock and helped generate liquidity for shareholders. Had they not merged, the company would have continued to struggle with covering their development costs as their cash position was very poor and their in-house overheads were very high.

I was a shareholder in Square before the merger was announced and it was clear to me that they were going to have to go back to the market to raise more cash - instead the shares spiked up the day the merger was announced - to the point that the exchange stopped allowing people to trade shares of both companies due to speculation. Square received a premium of about 60% to the closing price, and then squeezed more out of it by the end because Enix realized that everyone was a winner - the combined value of the two companies was well above what Enix was giving up by providing more concessions to Square - Yoichi Wada basically ensured that Square's shareholders got the best deal possible at the time.

So the question is - would Square have survived without the merger with Enix? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know what they would have done without access to Enix'es pockets. They may have released more games with their existing cash position, possibly borrowed money from banks, or even gone back to Sony for another round of financing. Speculating about such things is useless because the vast majority of shareholders on both sides consented, and Square's shareholders were able to get out of the doldrums in terms of valuation.

Wada's bad management is a symptom of the problems with Japanese business.

I'm not willing to buy into the model where when an American business fucks up, it's because a specific person was doing something wrong, but when a Japanese company fucks up, it's because of what ethnicity or nationality they are.

I think the fact that the stereotype about Japanese business was about how ruthlessly effective it was before their demographic crunch, and about how incompetent it was after their demographic crunch, points to the real causal factor behind the problems.

Sakaguchi leaving was the worst thing to happen to the company.

Yeah, sadly, Sakaguchi was an incredible manager of a big content-producing company, with a knack for finding and cultivating young talent, and an interest in building a diverse portfolio of games with a strong standard behind them.

fmpanda

why? anyone who plays Final Fantasy games knows they're all different....

To add to that, there was more pictures and whatnot coming from game magazines for FFIX than FFX, the general thought was that FFX would end up taking a bit longer to come out, so might as well get FFIX.

DiamondDogs

Neo Member
I remember reading in 2003 (on ansemreport.com who else visited that site daily?) how Kingdom Hearts was suppose to be the backbone for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Square's biggest mistakes in my opinion have been from an outsider perspective:

1. Biggest crime is letting Tetsuya Takahashi walk. His vision for RPG's differed from the company in a good way. Now he's thriving with titles like Xenoblade and etc. This is the guy who could have diversified Square Enix instead of having them become dependent on mobile/FF sequels. If you give Xenoblade to the Square Enix marketing machine and called it Final Fantasy, the company's reputation would be seen as the forefront of Japan rather than a relic.

2. Reducing Yoshinori Kitase role. He directed amazing games and used technology to it's fullest. There's no reason his role has been reduced to a producer. Maybe he was burnt out but you're looking at one of the greatest minds in the company.

3. Letting Hiroyuki Ito walk. FF9 and FF12 were unique games and changed the formula. Wanna fix Final Fantasy's stagnated gameplay? Call his number. There's no reason he's sitting at home. I think his role best suited an experimental RPG game biyearly or so if I ran the company. He was ahead of his time.

4. Tetsuya Takahashi should have been brought back to steer Final Fantasy's staff. Look at all the time wasted with Final Fantasy Versus 13 and compare it to the Squaresoft PS1 era where they made FF7-FF8-FF9 at a quick pace. They have a joke of a commission dedicated to the quality of FF - in other words the job this man did for years. It's all politics why he doesn't have a job I assume.

The only thing keeping me loyal to Square Enix is Tetsuya Nomura. I love his style in gaming and I think he's taking FF15 in the right direction (more real time). He wasted a lot of his capital on Final Fantasy Versus and exhausting the Kingdom Hearts fanbase - in which case I think Takahashi would have stepped in.

If anything I said was wrong or my knowledge of where the companies main powerplayers is incorrect feel free to correct me.

iMerc

awesome thread & should be sticked.
amazing to think how different square would be today if suzuki & sakaguchi stayed on.
they were the heart of the company.

the loss of talent from this company has been incredible: sakaguchi, honne, takahashi, uematsu, iishi, ito, kato.
bloody hell.

MogCakes

awesome thread & should be sticked.
amazing to think how different square would be today if suzuki & sakaguchi stayed on.
they were the heart of the company.

Not just them. Hiroyuki Ito, Tetsuya Takahashi, Uematsu, and many more talented devs that all left over the years. I fear the next one will be Yoshi P. (XIV ARR).

Wazzy

Banned
In terms of how the games generally flow (mini character on 3D world map, battles are ATB-based, menu structure, etc) they are similar.

Yeah but there's still as many differences such as artstyle, OST, setting, world, characters, story, battle system, lore, etc.

I feel like the similarities you listed are still a lot smaller compared to the overall differences presented in each game.

davepoobond

In terms of how the games generally flow (mini character on 3D world map, battles are ATB-based, menu structure, etc) they are similar.

that's not a convincing argument. ATB was what made Final Fantasy a standout RPG compared to other turn-based games.

the very basic expectation of those three games was exactly that there was a world map, ATB, and the same menu structure.

The story/changed-up RPG-elements are what people played those games for. You may as well say that if you played FFVII you don't have to play FFVIII or FFIX cause they've both got world maps. That's ridiculous.

FFIX was the "throwback" game to the "Chibi" art style/traditional ATB games. And FFX was the "continuance" of the "non-chibi" art style.

MogCakes

Yeah but there's still as many differences such as artstyle, OST, setting, world, characters, story, battle system, lore, etc.

I feel like the similarities you listed are still a lot smaller compared to the overall differences presented in each game.

I understand your point of view, but I'll have to disagree. How a game progresses mechanically shares about equal importance in its presentation aside from art direction, plot, etc. to me, so I can immediately see how VII-IX are similar in that regard. Not to say I dislike them - they are all great entries to the series that bring new ideas to the table. I'm also a massive Square fan though, so I'm not nearly as critical of the series as many others on GAF.

EDIT:
that's not a convincing argument. ATB was what made Final Fantasy a standout RPG compared to other turn-based games.

the very basic expectation of those three games was exactly that there was a world map, ATB, and the same menu structure.

The story/changed-up RPG-elements are what people played those games for. You may as well say that if you played FFVII you don't have to play FFVIII or FFIX cause they've both got world maps. That's ridiculous.

FFIX was the "throwback" game to the "Chibi" art style/traditional ATB games. And FFX was the "continuance" of the "non-chibi" art style.

As I said above, I can see the point your making, but my own point was that, mechanically, they progress similarly, and for many people who started with VII (such as myself), the way VIII and IX progressed was immediately identifiable and comfortably similar. For many of these people, the shift to X and later XII may have been an unwelcome change.

MogCakes

But you can only say that mechanically each game was very similar. Labelling them as all similar isn't fair unless it's specified.

Even then, the change in X wasn't very big and only XII is where it changed drastically.

I did say above that I consider the mechanical presentation as well as the story/etc, so to me it has a big effect on the game, not in plot but in presentation. I'm not calling them clones of each other, just similar. I think that's a perfectly fair assessment to make. I consider X a large leap not only because of the graphical advancement but the addition of voice acting, no traversable world map, true turn-based combat instead of ATB, and swappable party members mid-combat as well as insane variety in combat areas (such as
the boat battle with Sin and later the battle on the airship against Sin.
).

EDIT: well, I went off on a tangent reminiscing on X's combat, but presentation-wise, many fans of VII-IX may have felt X's presentation to be, for lack of better word, drama-like (as in TV drama) in it's presentation. The shift in how the player traverses the world may also have had a negative impact on people. Not all or even the majority, but some.

Nerokis

Aside from the fact that I really wasn't planning to spend so much time reading about this particular subject, thanks very much for the thread! Very informative, and it's always great to see such a long list of different sources.

I'm sorry to focus on a relatively trivial point, but one tidbit that stood out to me:

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" [Shinji Hashimoto, major producer at SE/"please be excited!" guy] laughed when asked about the game. When he was told that the game was adored by fans, his response was quite blunt: "That's not what the sales tell me!"

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

What a joke. As of 2009, when he gave this response, nearly a million people had bought Chrono Trigger DS - a somewhat enhanced port that was likely badly overpriced. It had to be significantly profitable, right? But apparently it's laughable and weird that people are always asking about doing something with the Chrono Trigger brand because clearly it's not actually particularly beloved? What an amazing mentality to have.

Cheerilee

The Q Fund was hardly a bribe, Nintendo invested equity into GDS and this partially paid for the development of the one game for the Gamecube as Sony had an exclusive for mainline FF and had considerable influence over Square's revenue streams, so it was a way to work around the situation. The GBA games were developed outside of the Q Fund or GDS and were generally very profitable with Tactics selling over a million. SE eventually bought out GDS and made Yamauchi whole.
I was exaggerating about the "bribe" part, since it was an interest-free loan, but are you seriously saying that Sony's non-controlling share of Square required them to make an obvious shell company in order to make one GameCube game, while it was okay for them to unapologetically make GBA games?

The shell company was more likely required for an industry giant like Square to cheat the rules and participate in a so-called "indie" program.

The reason it's never recognized is because the blame he is placing is incorrect. Yoichi Wada was an inevitability after Square's stock price continued to crater despite the investment by Sony and the success of Kingdom Hearts and FFX - they were having tremendous difficulty managing cashflows. The merger basically unlocked tremendous value in Square's stock and helped generate liquidity for shareholders. Had they not merged, the company would have continued to struggle with covering their development costs as their cash position was very poor and their in-house overheads were very high.

I was a shareholder in Square before the merger was announced and it was clear to me that they were going to have to go back to the market to raise more cash - instead the shares spiked up the day the merger was announced - to the point that the exchange stopped allowing people to trade shares of both companies due to speculation. Square received a premium of about 60% to the closing price, and then squeezed more out of it by the end because Enix realized that everyone was a winner - the combined value of the two companies was well above what Enix was giving up by providing more concessions to Square - Yoichi Wada basically ensured that Square's shareholders got the best deal possible at the time.

So the question is - would Square have survived without the merger with Enix? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know what they would have done without access to Enix'es pockets. They may have released more games with their existing cash position, possibly borrowed money from banks, or even gone back to Sony for another round of financing. Speculating about such things is useless because the vast majority of shareholders on both sides consented, and Square's shareholders were able to get out of the doldrums in terms of valuation.

You have to consider the narrative which I (among others) was responding to, which was that the bombing of The Spirits Within literally bankrupt Square, causing Enix to come in and scrape their remains off the pavement.

TSW apparently lost $52 million (after they willingly invested $137 million into it) and it put Square into the red for their first quarter in history. It didn't bankrupt a $1.8 billion corporation.

The Enix merger was on the table before TSW bombed, and the bombing actually had the opposite effect, scaring Enix away.

Hisashi Suzuki returned Square to it's normal, pre-TSW profitability, but Square was left with an image problem they couldn't control (which was reflected in the stock price), which cost Suzuki his job and allowed Wada to take over.

anaron

Some other little Sakaguchi & development details that might be of interest:

Final Fantasy VI

“When it came time to begin work on Final Fantasy VI, Sakaguchi divided responsibilities between us,” says Kitase. “He placed me in charge of event production, carefully assessing those parts I directed. I was essentially given the task of unifying all the scenarios and dramatic sections in the game into a coherent narrative.”

Final Fantasy VI contains the largest cast of playable actors of any game in the series, with 14 permanent playable characters, and a further clutch of key performers who are either momentarily placed within the player’s control, or are crucial to the plot’s development. With so many discrete elements, ensuring coherency and intelligibility for the player was inevitably Kitase’s most demanding challenge. “If we consider that Final Fantasy games are divided into two core elements: battles and drama,” says Kitase, “then I oversaw design of the latter while Hiroyuki Ito supervised the battle aspects. It was then up to Sakaguchi to bring the project together as a whole, intelligible piece.”

Work began on the game almost immediately after the international release of Final Fantasy V in 1992, and the entire production lasted just one year. Even though lines of responsibility were carefully drawn – necessarily so, for such an ambitious game with such a challenging development schedule – in reality the creative journey proved loose and collaborative.

“It was a hybrid process,” explains Kitase. “Sakaguchi came up with the story premise, based on a conflict with imperial forces. As the game’s framework was designed to provide leading roles to all the characters in the game, everyone on the team came up with ideas for character episodes.”
http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-final-fantasy-vi/

Final Fantasy VII
Designed the original scenario and concept for the Lifestream

Wanted the game to be centered around Life and Death

—That’s surprising (laughs). Did Mr. Sakaguchi have any directions for the story, having written the plot?

Kitase: Mr. Sakaguchi had been deeply involved with the story up to “FFVI” but with “FFVII” he focused his efforts on the battles. It was Mr. Sakaguchi who suggested the materia system. At first materia had the name “spheres” which Nomura proposed, but Sakaguchi thought we should make it something that would resonate easily even with elementary school kids, so we went for ‘materia’. Back then, the staff were trying to come up with some cool name, but Sakaguchi said that in order to get it embraced across the board you can’t just think about what’s cool.

I see. So then, when the development began again, it become the world we have now which has a strong sci-fi feel.

Kitase: At the time there were a lot of Western-fantasy RPGs around, so we wanted to set it apart, and we wanted to achieve more realist ways of showing the story. Also, Mr. Sakaguchi (*2) had suggested a modern drama-esque story with a strong sci-fi feel.
http://thelifestream.net/weekly-famitsu-issue-no-1224-yoshinori-kitase-interview/

Final Fantasy IX:

A: The upcoming Final Fantasy IX. This title (currently under development) is based on a reflection of all the previous works in the series. The coming installment is my "favorite," it's closest to my ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be. But, I've set my standards too high, so I think there's room for more Final Fantasy titles to come.

Destructoid: Sakaguchi posts his early FF IX script notes. These memos focus on the opening sequence of FF9 -- remember how great that was? Found during a hard disk backup, this memo is dated July 17, 1998. (http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column/pg187.html)

IGN: For many designers, you're their inspiration. Who is your inspiration in this industry? Is there a designer or creator that you admire or look up to?

Sakaguchi: Mr. Miyamoto from Nintendo, for sure, as well as people that I have worked with, like FF directors Yoshinori Kitase and Yasumi Matsuno, and Ken Narita, the long-serving lead programmer for FF. I get excited just talking to people who have outstanding abilities in their particular areas. To compare it to math, it's sort of like being able to talk with someone who has taken a very different path to reach the same solution to a mathematical equation; I feel like we're explaining how we solved the problem to each other.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2009/01/13/interview-with-a-legend?page=2

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They announced IX and X at the same time ?! That's crazy. It didn't, but it could have hurt IX's sales quite a lot.

XI was announced at the same time too (though maybe you excised that because it's an MMO)

I remember the Square Millennium Conference.... 3 FF games on one day was huge news. Such a bright future back then.

davepoobond

I did say above that I consider the mechanical presentation as well as the story/etc, so to me it has a big effect on the game, not in plot but in presentation. I'm not calling them clones of each other, just similar. I think that's a perfectly fair assessment to make. I consider X a large leap not only because of the graphical advancement but the addition of voice acting, no traversable world map, true turn-based combat instead of ATB, and swappable party members mid-combat as well as insane variety in combat areas (such as
).

EDIT: well, I went off on a tangent reminiscing on X's combat, but presentation-wise, many fans of VII-IX may have felt X's presentation to be, for lack of better word, drama-like (as in TV drama) in it's presentation. The shift in how the player traverses the world may also have had a negative impact on people. Not all or even the majority, but some.

Then how does ffx's impending release dissuade people from wanting to buy ffix as the original theory was stated? We know that it didnt affect sales of either game.

MogCakes

Then how does ffx's impending release dissuade people from wanting to buy ffix as the original theory was stated? We know that it didnt affect sales of either game.

I wasn't talking about how X being announced at the same time as IX could have hurt its sales really, was just commenting on the 'anyone who plays Final Fantasy games knows they're all different' part. Sorry if I confused you!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
).

They might be two of the more different FF entries of all time. FFIX was an intentional throwback to the early games, while FFX was intended to be the first entry of the future of FF, which intentionally ditched world maps, added voice acting, and dispensed with a lot of the series' tropes except in vague reference.

Back then, no one was worried about the sales of each cannibalizing the other. Fans were going to buy both, and we all did.

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" [Shinji Hashimoto, major producer at SE/"please be excited!" guy] laughed when asked about the game. When he was told that the game was adored by fans, his response was quite blunt: "That's not what the sales tell me!"

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

What a horrifying quote. It's not just what he said but how he said it. The surprise, the cluelessness, the almost disdain for a title he doesn't see as exploitable. Square management is so out of touch. Things like this make their modern trajectory so understandable.

Having just read Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann's Last of Us post-mortem with Empire today, it's so much more refreshing having these kinds of creative, passionate people leading projects and representing their games rather than "Please be excited!" guy and whoever else SE has do interviews.

Rinoa

Great job OP!

What a horrifying quote. It's not just what he said but how he said it. The surprise, the cluelessness, the almost disdain for a title he doesn't see as exploitable.

Perhaps it is a blessing, lord knows how a "more sellable" Chrono Trigger game would need to be crafted. More sexual more violence is currently the trend for mass appeal.
And it's possible FFX-3 is trying to go there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom