• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

I did my part. I think pushing for an account system is equally important as well. Unfortunately, it's going quite slowly, and several people on Miiverse remain ignorant on the implications of region locking and the lack of an account system. There also seems to be a Microsoft enthusiast who decided to use Microsoft's backtracking as ammo against Nintendo.

Meelow

Banned
I did my part. I think pushing for an account system is equally important as well. Unfortunately, it's going quite slowly, and several people on Miiverse remain ignorant on the implications of region locking and the lack of an account system. There also seems to be a Microsoft enthusiast who decided to use Microsoft's backtracking as ammo against Nintendo.

Yeah I saw those posts, you would think that someone who bought a Wii U would want it to succeed.

If they were to do so, is it simply a matter of updating the OS?

I'm pretty sure yeah.

Meelow

Banned
I personally think it's sad that he goes through the trouble of making new accounts after being banned just to throw around insults.

In other news, it seems like regular posters are noticing an increase in "no region locking" posts. They apparently don't agree, but we are making a tiny splash.

Yeah I don't think Xbox fans should get too cocky just yet, if Microsoft implements the DRM in a year from now than they will look really bad, but that's my opinion.

And 100's beat 10, we are making a bigger push than I thought we would do in just a few hours, I just hope bigger websites pick this news up soon.

jay

"Nintendo has three reasons why every one of its consoles is region locked, SO STOP COMPLAINING!!!"

When you have people responding with "why" and "it doesn't matter to me", it just shows how difficult this is going to be.

I think there should be one Community in particular that we try to take over to send a clear message.

And don't forget about the Japanese Communities too.

Drago

I fucking hate people who defend things that should not be defended, just because it's being endorsed by Nintendo, or Sony, or Microsoft, or anyone

Those Miiverse posts are rage-inducing

flippedb

Banned
More people should be supporting this, even if they're not Nintendo's biggest fans. This shit needs to be exterminated from the industry.

Muku

Wow, how can folks defend some of the crap that corporations spit out? I guess they live in a bubble world and expect that what Nintendo did, did so because it's for the better. Why would being back to region free be a bad thing?

backlot

You guys should have seen the replies I got when I complained about the Virtual Console on Miiverse. Gaf's defense forces have nothing on Miiverse.

Meelow

Banned
More people should be supporting this, even if they're not Nintendo's biggest fans. This shit needs to be exterminated from the industry.

Agreed, and from what I saw this past month...GAF can actually change things, didn't think Sony and Microsoft would back out of DRM but they did, so making the Wii U and 3DS region free should be an easier job since it doesn't need much changing like DRM does.

Wonder if someone posted on the Europe side.

hongcha

I made a similar thread about this four months ago. People did not seem too optimistic about it then. I'm glad to see such enthusiasm for this now! I really hope Nintendo gets rid of region locking and makes a proper account system. It can only benefit them (and us!!) in the long run.

Muku

Live in another country :C. Is there a facebook page somewhere to show support?

Was going to say snail mail abroad would be a bit more of a pain. I'm wondering about Facebook as well. I know Nintendo has a page, as I've liked it a long time ago, but obviously we can't leave posts of our own, just comment on their own stuff. Is there a plan to take a specific (or all? LOL) comment section and change it to a region-free kind of thing? I know with Operation Rainfall, things got crazy on their page.

That's a thick cherry to burst. They have been very hard on their stand, and there is no real reason for them to change now. At best, they might make it optional, but their published games will be region-locked, and so will be a lot of third part publishers, specially the smaller ones like Atlus.

If anything, I'd like for Ninty to "help" those developers localize their game on all regions.

Don't think its going to change anything but I Yeahed every Miiverse post. Tommorow when I get the chance I'll post something on Nintendo's Facebook. In fact I'm actually typing this on my Gamepad as luck would have it. I would love to play the One Piece Unlimited games on 3DS (I have them on Wii).

So why does Nintendo region-lock? I always thought the big reason was so Europe and Japan (especially Japan) wouldn't import from the US because of cheaper prices. I heard that's the deal with anime DVD's.

NewGame

Banned
'Yeahed' the posts, some were giving me errors when I tried to though. Will draw up a picture to express the love of region-freeness later tonight.

AndyboyH

Neo Member
Just a thought, not sure if it's already been raised, but is it worth an actual letter writing campaign? We know (or can find out) Nintendo's Kyoto address. If someone skilled in Japanese could post a form letter, we could send letters from all over the world. It could make quite a strong impact, and it's hard to filter out, unlike miiverse posts and/or tweets.

Hattori

Banned
Nintendo is in no position to continue mandating region locks, they should be doing everything they can to make the Wii U worth it for us owners because we were there Day 1 and we're still here continuing out support. Make it right Nintendo.

Just a thought, not sure if it's already been raised, but is it worth an actual letter writing campaign? We know (or can find out) Nintendo's Kyoto address. If someone skilled in Japanese could post a form letter, we could send letters from all over the world. It could make quite a strong impact, and it's hard to filter out, unlike miiverse posts and/or tweets.

Snail-mail addresses...

Nintendo Co., Ltd.
11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba,
Minami-ku, Kyoto
Japan

Nintendo of America
4600 150th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052

Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Nintendo Center
D-63760 Grossostheim
Germany

Muku

Took a moment out and did my own real quick. Quick doodle but nothing special. Though the reason I used Charizard is because if they went region-free for 3DS, I'd be a bit tempted to use my Charizard LL. (Though running out and buying a Mint LL would be too tempting too.)

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUV51u5t4Mw

I honestly don't think Nintendo will budge, but I really, really hope they do. This is something that has been frustrating me since 3DS came out. For me the change would really help me with 3DS. While I'm not concerned with Wii U side, I know many folks are, so willing to support both, because there is no reason to have region lock.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Whaaat? Where did you read that? :O

Yeah, I know, which is why I was so befuddled by it. But the folks I am arguing with in Facebook were so adamant about it. Then I realized that the Green Lantern game has a DS version, so maybe they're thinking about the DS version, but those folks just-would-not-listen.

Muku

It's not just about languages, but the ability to get hardware and software from anywhere and have it just work. No modding a console, I can just import and play.

The hardware is especially important for folks living abroad. Being able to go to a local store and just buy the thing is much easier than trying to get a system sent to a family member then shipped again. And at the start of a console life, folks want them in a hurry. It's fun, it's exciting. Went through a lot of trouble (and money) to get our Wii U over to Japan.

People on Miiverse seem to think anyone who supports region free devices merely want to play niche, Japanese games.

On another note, I'm noticing the region free posts accumlating in the Nintendo E3 2013 Community.

hachi

Banned
Does Nintendo's more family-focused business have any bearing on their region locking? I always wondered if their great fear was to have something like Senran Kagura showing up in a "My innocent child bought this game for his Nintendo!" sensationalist news item.

Top Bottom