• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

They're losing revenue by not letting people like me import games. Without numbers, we can only speculate as to which loss is greater.

Not to mention, consumers' goodwill, etc.

You're forgeting that many people don't bother boycotting and just pay the $20-$30 more for the game. This is just an example but if out of 1,000,000 people, 10% import, Nintendo loses $2,000,000 - $3,000,000.

I mean think about it guys - why do you think Nintendo does it?

L Thammy

I have some post-play surveys to do and I will be letting them know how I feel.

How counter-productive is it to inform them I mod my systems to play region free content? Hopefully not too counter-productive, because I already told them.

If they go after people due to something said on a Club Nintendo survey, I've never heard of it. They do observe some of the answers, though. For example, they were asking Monster Hunter 3G owners about Ad-Hoc Party on the Japanese one. They made a similar tool afterward.

Sadly, they haven't listened to my suggestions for 3DS VC multiplayer, VC online multiplayer, or Soma Bringer on NA eShop. :(

@Toad.T
Yeah, I meant region free. I have both Jump games and played them to death, never bought a Japanese system.

Toad.T

Banned
Region locking used to be standard for their handhelds. Nintendo obviously valued the revenue from travelers over price control. Hell, I never could have convinced my friends to buy Jump Superstars in high school if they had to import a new system.

Ehh? All Gameboy's, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket/color, Wonderswan/color and all DS physical games were region free.

Region locking was a standard for no one. Do you mean unlocking?

Also, i'll post to miiverse about this and help you soon. (While doing that, can you guys support my tangentially related cause of certain VC games being brought over? It's on miiverse too.)

M3d10n

I don't know about the Wii U, but according to the hacking community, the 3DS region lock is entirely software based: it's just a check done when launching a title. If you could switch eShops, it would be possible to actually download and view games from other regions in the home menu without any changes to the OS (games from different regions have different IDs and are treated as different games).

I don't know about the Wii U, but according to the hacking community, the 3DS region lock is entirely software based: it's just a check done when launching a title. If you could switch eShops, it would be possible to actually download and view games from other regions in the home menu without any changes to the OS (games from different regions have different IDs and are treated as different games).

...you can switch eShops.

EDIT: I guess you mean regionally, not at a country level.

DMG-01

You're forgeting that many people don't bother boycotting and just pay the $20-$30 more for the game. This is just an example but if out of 1,000,000 people, 10% import, Nintendo loses $2,000,000 - $3,000,000.

I mean think about it guys - why do you think Nintendo does it?

I understand your point, and it may be valid, but again, without any actual numbers you can't really argue it effectively. Let's say Nintendo goes region free and out of every 1,000,000 sales of say, Fantasy Life, 10,000 were from importers. That's $400,000 extra for Nintendo. See? Those numbers are just as useless because they are 100% hypothetical and made up. :p

Yes! Definitely post about this in other gaming forums, on Facebook, on Twitter, on Miiverse. Contact all of your favorite game journalists and ask them for coverage, too.

L Thammy

It should be possible for someone with a Wii U to make a new account for anyone else who wants to post on Miiverse. I think you can delete them from your Wii U without deleting the account itself.

Side note, the webmaster of Bulbagarden yeah'd my post. Is he on NeoGAF?

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo is a diferent animal, a rare one. They won't do it.

This won't hurt, like I said before. If Nintendo listens and makes the Wii U and 3DS region free, than it will only help them out in the long run, and also gain respect from a lot of people.

Also it will end the "Nintendo never listens" comments.

Keyouta

I've sent a message to Bill Trinen through twitter showing the miiverse support. Be sure to go across any social network you're on, if you can, and demand for region free. Journalists and people in the industry is a good way to get noticed too.

DMG-01

I get that people were cynical about #PS4NoDRM, but that proved to work at least to some degree. So then why now are people cynical about #EndRegionLocking? Sure, it's an issue with fewer supporters, and sure Nintendo is perceived as being less likely to bend to consumer complaints, but operation Rainfall seemed to work. And Earthbound VC seemed to work. What's with the overwhelming negativity in the face of possible success?

I mean, sure, all I've done is send one tweet. But if everyone only sent one tweet, the message would be made very clear. I'm sick of this useless, incorrect, debbie-downer attitude. Case in point: look at TotalBiscuit. Do you want to be bitter like him, or do you want to celebrate gamer-enacted change?

(This is addressed to no one in particular, by the way.)

I understand your point, and it may be valid, but again, without any actual numbers you can't really argue it effectively. Let's say Nintendo goes region free and out of every 1,000,000 sales of say, Fantasy Life, 10,000 were from importers. That's $400,000 extra for Nintendo. See? Those numbers are just as useless because they are 100% hypothetical and made up. :p

I completely agree with you but Nintendo must have crunched the numbers are decided that region-free systems were losing them enough revenue to warrant locking them down.

Darryl

Banned
You must be torn on this issue. On one hand, region locking obviously sucks. But on the other...

Same, and now some guy named Jamie is my sword enemy.

you can just delete posts if someone is bothering you

Doing so respectfully is much more preferred though.

angry mobs seem to work better

You wouldn't want to make Iwata sad.

all i said was stupid. lol. he probably thinks its stupid, too

tirminyl

We can try but I think Nintendo will just be Nintendo

nintendovqcya.gif

Frolow

Banned
Think it's worth it to send word about the campaign to a few websites? Multiple sites ran stories on the PS4 DRM campaign a few weeks ago if that's anything to go by.

Top Bottom