• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Keyouta

To the people saying they don't care because it doesn't affect them, you're not helping.

Imagine Microsoft saying the Xbox One has DRM and lets say someone here made a thread saying it's so horrible. Then most people clicked into the thread and tell the few campaigning against it "it doesn't matter to me, I have stable internet, I don't buy used games, etc." or "Why should I help you, it will never happen."

The point is that there should not be restrictions on the games I buy, be it DRM or region locking.

UPDATE 6/19: NOW IS THE TIME!!!

PS4 and Xbox One are now BOTH totally region-free. We can do it!

I'm asking for YOUR support to help end region-locking once and for all. Contact Nintendo by any means possible and DEMAND an end to region-locking NOW!

Meelow

Banned
To the people saying they don't care because it doesn't affect them, you're not helping.

Imagine Microsoft saying the Xbox One has DRM and lets say someone here made a thread saying it's so horrible. Then most people clicked into the thread and tell the few campaigning against it "it doesn't matter to me, I have stable internet, I don't buy used games, etc." or "Why should I help you, it will never happen."

The point is that there should not be restrictions on the games I buy, be it DRM or region locking.

There were people that didn't care about the DRM, I remember the comments.

I'm asking for YOUR support to help end region-locking once and for all. Contact Nintendo by any means possible and DEMAND an end to region-locking NOW!

Could you fix the Miiverse link with this?

For some reason the link you posted doesn't work, thanks!

I really think we could do this, and seeing how there have been hints at a unified account system coming, Nintendo could gain a lot of respect.

And Nintendo having no region lock takes an other advantage the PS4/One have against the Wii U.

As of today Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PS4/Vita are region free. GB/GBA/DS used to be region free...

Your move, Nintendo. 3DS and WiiU need a stern talking to.

It's becoming really embarrassing for Nintendo. Region freedom will be offered by all modern competitive products in 2014. I know people who simply won't buy a Wii U (of any region) out of principle. Nintendo's exclusives are nice, but they shouldn't come at the cost of ease of use.

Yes Boss!

I'm convinced. I don't use Twitter but I'll send an email to Redmond.

Don't think I'll demand but I will ask politely and give them my Club Nintendo user name to show them all the games I've purchased over the years.

I think that a more organized effort is necessary in order for this to proceed. Having all methods of contacting Nintendo, as well as the proper mannerisms to display during the communication, consolidated in the OP should go a long way. Having a single unified source for showing off what to do makes things easier for people to get involved.

I think it might also help to contact some of the folks behind OpRainfall too and get their input.

BKK

On the other hand, Persona 4 Arena's region lock caused a massive uproar, so you never know.

Exactly, at the very first instance of region locking on PS3, many people (including myself) were very vocal. The result? Atlus said they would no longer region lock, and no other publisher has attempted to region lock a PS3 game since.

I just think that attempting to close the gate after the horse has bolted is unlikely to achieve much. Clearly third parties have little interest in region locking ... PS3 has an opt in system ... out of thousands of games only one has ever decided to opt in. X360 has an opt out policy (ie pay extra to be region free) ... many small publishers making a game for a specific region decide not to pay the extra fees to be region free. How many major publishers with games slated for WW release region lock them?

Third party publishers aren't requesting region locked consoles, this is purely a Nintendo initiative to restrict the free movement of goods of their first party software.

Ath

Ready to get behind this one. Yeah'd your Miiverse post and tweeted to 4 of Nintendo's accounts. While getting Nintendo to go region free will be super-tough, I want to believe!

qko

Doubt it would happen, but hopefully with how Nintendo is putting their chips in digitally they will consider markets to be global and not regional. Maybe let physical cartridges be region locked, but downloads become region free and give us access to eshop regions from other countries.

Meelow

Banned
I think that a more organized effort is necessary in order for this to proceed. Having all methods of contacting Nintendo, as well as the proper mannerisms to display during the communication, consolidated in the OP should go a long way. Having a single unified source for showing off what to do makes things easier for people to get involved.

I think it might also help to contact some of the folks behind OpRainfall too and get their input.

That's a great idea, I think they can really push this.

Someone made a interesting comment on Miiverse that Wii U and 3DS being region locked is convincing hackers to hack them, them being region free will give them less motive to do it.

qko

That's a great idea, I think they can really push this.

Someone made a interesting comment on Miiverse that Wii U and 3DS being region locked is convincing hackers to hack them, them being region free will give them less motive to do it.

I have a Japanese 3DS for the eshop games. Would totally download any hack to make it region free. I'd rebuy retail games on my American 3DS and keep my physical copies to use on the Japanese one.

FlyFaster

OK. I can see how my post was US-centric. I have family in Europe and I can understand how it would effect them.

It still doesn't bother me personally, but I see where you guys are coming from.

CTLance

Did my part. Pessimistic about the outcome, but: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The region code is the reason why I still can't bring myself to buy a 3DS. Nintendo pls.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in. Put out a tweet a little bit ago.

I have to say, I absolutely love this new culture of gamers making explicit demands regarding policies that screw us over. Voting with our wallets is one thing, but explicitly speaking out -- and doing so collectively -- is also really important. Kudos to everyone chipping in on this.

JoV

I don't have twitter, but have yeah'd every miiverse post and will continue to do so. Miiverse seems to be a good way of raising visibility of this issue.

BKK

region restrictions have never bothered me and I've been gaming since the NES days. I see it as a non-issue. It's cool if it's not their but I can't actually think of a single time I've ever needed something to be region free. For example, I don't speak/read Japanese so importing those games wouldn't matter if I could or not. I don't know, I guess I don't see this as a very big issue. Nothing like DRM/Used games is.

Ironic name :p Go on vacation from US to Europe. Whilst away the next big 3DS Mario game releases. Whilst shopping in the departure side of the airport thinking what am I going to do on my longhaul flight back to the US you see everyone buying the latest 3DS Mario game to play on their flights. You think to yourself, why did I buy a 3DS? I can play all these great games on my WiiU and 42" TV back at home. Then you think damn! I left my WiiU and 42" TV back in the States... hey that's why I bought a 3DS, so I can play in situations when I'm away from TV, like the next 8 hours on this plane!

So you buy the latest Mario game, just like all the other excited people about to get on their flights. You get on your plane, excited to play your new game, but you can't, airline restrictions mean you have to turn off all electronic devices until you reach a certain height. Of course being a law abiding citizen you wait, until you finally get permission to turn on your 3DS several hundred miles in International airspace somewhere across the Atlantic.

You think to yourself, I'm so glad I bought this game, the entertainment on this flight is appalling, the €40 I spent on this will pay for itself over the next 8 hours ....

Then your 3DS refuses to play the game that you paid €40 for, not for any technical reason, just because Nintendo purposefully prevent you from doing so ... oh well, we all buy the incorrect item by mistake sometimes, it can always be returned for a refund to the shop .... 5,000 miles away!

DMG-01

I wish I had a Wii U so I could contribute on the Miiverse. Will this suffice for a tweet?
Because I'd rather buy a Wii U than a second 3DS. #EndRegionLocking @Nintendo @NintendoAmerica @NintendoEurope @NintendoUK @NintendoES

Yes Boss!

Folks who go to other regions to buy games that are cheaper base-price in that other region instead of their own. Currency fluctuations. Does not work for folks importing from Japan but certainly works for folks in Japan importing from NA.

I think it is a non-issue, though, as the group is small and Nintendo still get profit from the title sold.

L Thammy

Region locking used to be standard for their handhelds. Nintendo obviously valued the revenue from travelers over price control. Hell, I never could have convinced my friends to buy Jump Superstars in high school if they had to import a new system.

BKK

Going region free would cause Nintendo to lose too much revenue. So, it's unrealistic that they would agree.

What they would lose would be a drop in the ocean of their revenues. Unfortunately they'd probably gain little more in the short-term by reversing their policy. As a wider policy to reconnect with the core gamer market it may well result in a +EV in the mid to long term.

DMG-01

The point of region-lock is to control price a region. People opting to buy the games for less from another region means Nintendo loses revenue.

They're losing revenue by not letting people like me import games. Without numbers, we can only speculate as to which loss is greater.

Not to mention, consumers' goodwill, etc.

jay

I have some post-play surveys to do and I will be letting them know how I feel.

How counter-productive is it to inform them I mod my systems to play region free content? Hopefully not too counter-productive, because I already told them.

Top Bottom