• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo did show that they do listen when it gets enough complaints, we just have to keep pushing for this.

The Investor Meeting is next week so if we make a huge push they could announce it at the Investor Meeting if they wanted to that they will end region locking.
For them to announce something at the 73rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders would probably take a huge effort. What can be done however is to give information on this initiative to multiple attendees at the meeting. And then they can perhaps mention as part of a question #EndRegionLocking. The meeting is usually filled with a bunch of silly questions so why not throw in something that is somewhat important?

More information on the meeting: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/convocation_notice1306e.pdf

gngf123

Is it even possible for Nintendo to make Wii U and 3DS region free?

How they do it depends how their region locking actually works, but it should be possible. To quote my post from a couple of pages back, with a couple of grammar changes to make it easier to read:

I'm far from an expert on this. However, IIRC every retail game goes through Nintendo's licensing system. From this, the publisher then gets a key from Nintendo that they can put in the game. That's how region locking seems to be done, with different sets of keys for each region.

In theory, Nintendo could release a patch to make the system accept keys from different regions.

Let's do it, Nintendo needs to make region free specifically for handhelds but a future where all region lock is gone will be awesome... we need to do something about Blu-rays and DVDs in fact as well...

tumblr_mdj9dcty1Q1rknrf9o1_500.gif

We can do anything! Let's make Iwata shave his head!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tweeted at them. Seems kind of weird that they're the sole console to region-lock now. Probably time to change that (and to start talking to third parties some more, I love my Wii U but they need to fix this now).

Chaos17

It will be hard for Nintendo to change this region lock since it on each console though I won't be against a none region lock 3DS (Fantasy liiife). Still, I won't go against them, they're already trying what they can to save their Wii u. So I will let them be and only wish for tanslation.

Keyouta

I've tweeted them today saying they're now the only company locking their hardware, hopefully people can make enough noise. There's really no reason to be locking the consoles nowadays with so much globalization, MS and Sony haven't had problems.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
On one hand we made them bring Xenoblade Chronicles and we made them do S&P2; on the other hand, we couldn't bring Mother 3 here...

mmm it's possible, but not probable...

I think I am going to draft an e-letter to Nintendo on this. Maybe, with some tweaks, it could become our "message to Nintendo". Would anyone do me the favor of assembling a list of truly great and interesting games that did not make it over to the west this last generation? I know them all visually, but the names are hard for me to remember.

Region lock is all in the firmware, it just reads a header for the game data and if it's an allowed region it plays. The hardware is agnostic.

Yea Chaos17 was saying it would be difficult since it's on each console. Which doesn't make any sense...

AzaK

added. if the rumours of the xbox 180 include dropped region locking, ninty will be the one left out =(

And no fucks will be given just like everything Nintendo does. They don't give a fuck if we want online. They don't give a fuck if we want HD or a good amount of storage. They don't give a fuck if we want new IPs for older gamers. They don't even give a single, utter FUCK if we want a good selection of VC games that they have sitting there.

If there's one company I expect to NOT listen to fans, it's Nintendo.
Yup.

Meelow

Banned
Rösti;64898936 said:
For them to announce something at the 73rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders would probably take a huge effort. What can be done however is to give information on this initiative to multiple attendees at the meeting. And then they can perhaps mention as part of a question #EndRegionLocking. The meeting is usually filled with a bunch of silly questions so why not throw in something that is somewhat important?

More information on the meeting: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/convocation_notice1306e.pdf

Interesting, I think this could work, also we should post it on Miiverse, I think Nintendo fans are just as wanting (if that's the correct word) as Sony and Microsoft fans.

If Nintendo announces they will send a update to end region locking they will get big respect AND it will have another advantage against the PS4 and Xbox One, Wii U having no DRM, Region free, and you don't have to pay for online would look good.

We are already getting hints at a real account system.

Onesimos

I already did my part in the campaign, but it needs hundreds or even thousands of responses as found in the PS4 thread to be effective.

And no fucks will be given just like everything Nintendo does. They don't give a fuck if we want online. They don't give a fuck if we want HD or a good amount of storage. They don't give a fuck if we want new IPs for older gamers. They don't even give a single, utter FUCK if we want a good selection of VC games that they have sitting there.

Yup.

Tweet and contribute now.

Time for bitching comes later.

gngf123

On one hand we made them bring Xenoblade Chronicles and we made them do S&P2; on the other hand, we couldn't bring Mother 3 here...

We helped them bring Earthbound to the eshop though I guess?

If there is a big enough movement it can be done, it's just not a large enough issue for most people.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Funny how Nintendo is the only one who does this now.

If they eliminate it, this would be the greatest thing since I took pliers to my SNES, or a tiny spring to my PS1.

Somnid

The upshot is now that the Xbox One bullshit is out of the way we can have better media attention to this topic.

Frolow

Banned

Nintendo probably would have brought Mother 3 over here if it was released earlier in the GBA's life cycle. It would have been around 2007 by the time a localization would've been finished

If they remove the region lock from the 3DS, I am going to import the fuck out of some 3DS games. My CC bills will be the end of my marriage and the beginning of a black hole on my credit report.

Azure J

This I don't get. Instead of being cynical at a would be response to a dialogue that hasn't even been started yet, how about we present the side that has always existed but never in coherence or unity before first? If after the presentation of this Nintendo sticks it's fingers in its ears then yes, they're fucked up and deserve all criticism and lambasting. Doing so now though is thoroughly defeatist and annoying.

Top Bottom