• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

FlyFaster

region restrictions have never bothered me and I've been gaming since the NES days. I see it as a non-issue. It's cool if it's not their but I can't actually think of a single time I've ever needed something to be region free. For example, I don't speak/read Japanese so importing those games wouldn't matter if I could or not. I don't know, I guess I don't see this as a very big issue. Nothing like DRM/Used games is.

NIN90

region restrictions have never bothered me and I've been gaming since the NES days. I see it as a non-issue. It's cool if it's not their but I can't actually think of a single time I've ever needed something to be region free. For example, I don't speak/read Japanese so importing those games wouldn't matter if I could or not. I don't know, I guess I don't see this as a very big issue. Nothing like DRM/Used games is.

It's kind of a big deal to people who don't reside in the US.

Just look at the SMT4 and Bravely Default situation.

Ok? Used games being banned doesn't affect some people as well. It's not about what does or doesn't affect you. You would think this whole MS debacle would have taught people that.

Subscribing to this. Hopefully we can get some momentum from MS' turnaround.

Imagine being a European Atlus fan.

Somnid

Even if you don't consider those that might. People living in other countries where they may not have native language access to games or people who frequently travel between countries and are forced to only have one or the other.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think it would be easier to get them to make an account based system for their hardware. But sure, I'll tweet them.

I always mention an account system every time I do a Club Nintendo survey. I'll add region free to that list.

Tain

Why even bring credentials (lol) into this? Some people have explored this venue that you haven't and are interested in some games that aren't released in their region, making it a bigger issue than DRM/used games to them.

Darryl

Banned
gonna have to throw in my total agreement. i've wanted to import games from japan for a long time now but don't want to buy a new console for it. they could turn this into being profitable. keep track of american 3DSes. watch what japanese games they import. localize those. that's $$$ in the bank, stop being so backwards.

Hm.

I never got the big deal with region locking. So I can't play a Japanese game on my US WiiU, no skin off my back.
The next step is to imagine that you did care about that, and then you would get it!
It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.

It's not uncommon for japanese games to never get localized. Europe gets even more screwed. If the console isn't region locked, you can at least import those games. If not, better hope there is a way to mod the system (good luck doing that with modern systems), otherwise the only option is to spend several hundreds importing the JP version of the console.
And that has to suck for those of you who care for this sort of thing, but I don't. Not to sound rude or anything, but again, no skin off my back.
I'm not sure why you're bothering to tell everybody that it doesn't matter to you. The default state for gamers in a region is not caring about region locking. This affects the people who do care. Pointing out that you don't just makes you seem incapable of empathy.

cj_iwakura

I think the problem with this movement, great as it is, is that at the end of the day, an extremely niche(and lazy) group of gamers care about region locks, as opposed to everyone and their mother caring about DRM and forced online.

LMN

I'm also support too, for those who travel or move around a lot, region lock is a nightmare, especially handheld games, they should all be region free.

Why even bring credentials (lol) into this? Some people have explored this venue that you haven't and are interested in some games that aren't released in their region, making it a bigger issue than DRM/used games to them.

Tain pls

There won't be any CAVE shmups on Wii-U.

I'm more interested in an account system than region free, but I would definitely be interested in region free. If Band Bros. 3DS goes Europe only again, or new Rhythm Tengoku games stay in Japan, I'm going to be really sad with no region free and no hacks.

PhantomR

Banned
bill trinen is on twitter btw, @trintran . reckon worth sending some stuff his way?

Don't fucking do that, dude. He's an individual employee who has no say over any of that whatsoever. Nintendo's official Twitter, official Facebook, and even consumer service (please be nice and friendly when you go this route) are the way to go. Not spamming individual Twitter accounts.

cj_iwakura

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it seems that people who care about importing games aren't as likely to band up and start a massive movement, certainly not on a level enough to cause a massive change in policy.

At very least, there sure aren't enough who care.

jeffers

Don't fucking do that, dude. He's an individual employee who has no say over any of that whatsoever. Nintendo's official Twitter, official Facebook, and even consumer service (please be nice and friendly when you go this route) are the way to go. Not spamming individual Twitter accounts.

yeah why my reservation over it. edit: took out name/account incase anyone followed up :p

Yes Boss!

I get what he is saying.

Just that the importers are very small (relative), and compounding that is that they are lazy in the sense to get activized.

I'm pretty guilty. I've just watched the whole DRM thing from the sidelines (even already preordered my 180), and generally just find region-locking a bit of a chore. I just truck on and import.

I do hope momentum is strong, though, and the community gets Wii U or 3DS region-free. I still need to buy a J-Wii U and I would not mind saving the few hundred bucks.

Hmm, if we end region locking, Treehouse goes out of business, and those are some talented people.

(Treehouse goes under in this scenario because without region locking NOA never has to localize anything again)

Meelow

Banned
I think if this works, we should also do "@WiiU/3DSJointAccountSystem

Or something like that.

Hmm, if we end region locking, Treehouse goes out of business, and those are some talented people.

(Treehouse goes under in this scenario because without region locking NOA never has to localize anything again)

No, because they still need to localize games, Wii U being region free won't stop them from localizing games, that would be 10x worse than Region locking.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have seen the power of GAF now, but this campaign has not the slightest chance in hell in succeeding. Region lock is as ingrained to Nintendo as making colourful games is. It's what they do. They spend extra energy to make it harder to break and feel massive injustice if someone imports a game. Hell, they even introduced region locks to portables this gen.

There is no power in the world that can convince Nintendo to go region free.

The DS is region free yet there were a bunch of games that had different PAL and US localisations so this is nonsense.

It is nonsense. I'm just having a bit of fun with my cynicism towards NOA and their localization record.

(Players shouldn't have to beg for a game like Xenoblade)

I have seen the power of GAF now, but this campaign has not the slightest chance in hell in succeeding. Region lock is as ingrained to Nintendo as making colourful games is. It's what they do. They spend extra energy to make it harder to break and feel massive injustice if someone imports a game. Hell, they even introduced region locks to portables this gen.

There is no power in the world that can convince Nintendo to go region free.

Your statement goes directly against the spirit and tagline of NeoGAF. Prepare to be excommunicated.

All you need to do is #Believe.

onipex

You're better off flooding MiiVerse with this and having the Miiverse post send out to Twitter, facebook , and the other sites it sends too.

Luigiv

I can get behind this. Unfortunately I don't use twitter (and I'm not making another account) so I can't official join you guys there but good luck.

BKK

This campaign should have been started when DSi was region locked. A region locked handheld was outrageous, can't even buy a game in the airport to play on your handheld during your flight home? Ridiculous (and I've seen lots of international airside shops selling handheld games in Asia). Unfortunately not enough people kicked up a big enough fuss then and gave Nintendo the all clear to continue with it on 3DS.

Good luck with this campaign, but let's be honest, only core gamers make a noise about this, and many of those still buy their products anyway (and some even buy multiple hardware from multiple regions). Unfortunately core gamers aren't Nintendo's core market. Microsoft changed their policy when it looked like it would hurt their bottom line (and region locking was a footnote). I just don't see how Nintendo's bean counters can run the math and come up with the conclusion that it is worth it to go region free (they obviously already ran those calculations with DSi and 3DS and decided it was worth it to head in the opposite direction).

Sorry for being negative, I actually support this campaign, I'm just being realistic ... I hope I'm wrong :)

Top Bottom