• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

boiled goose

good with gravy
region locking is a terrible and outdated practice.

with nintendo's mediocre localization record it hurts their image to their fans greatly.

just make both systems region free!!!

PhantomR

Banned
someones gotta call it out for what it is

That just causes people at Nintendo to roll their eyes as "yet another angry gamer".

Notice how Operation Rainfall handled the situation last time? I would recommend you follow their lead on that.

Somnid

Some tips:

-Hand-drawn is better than text if you have a bit of talent. These posts are more interesting, creative and visible.

-Try to keep things on topic. I certainly wouldn't want this to get a bad rep for spamming.

Platy

I can understand WiiU being Region Locked ... but a videogame that the BASIC IDEA is that you can bring with you while you are TRAVELING being region locked is absolutly nonsense

jay

That just causes people at Nintendo to roll their eyes as "yet another angry gamer".

Notice how Operation Rainfall handled the situation last time? I would recommend you follow their lead on that.

I think they are less emotionally attached to us than you are to them. A gamer is a wallet regardless of his mood.

Darryl

Banned

what an over-exaggeration. i deleted it.

DaBoss

Why should I care about region locking again?

Well even if it doesn't affect you, it affects other people. It doesn't affect you if it is there or if it isn't, so why not support the cause because it affects other people and you can help out. Each person makes a difference.

Keyouta

Why should I care about Xbox One's (previous) DRM if I have a stable internet connection? It doesn't affect me.

These (DRM, Region locking) are anti-consumer and should not be just taken as is. Look at what the backlash did for Microsoft. The same needs to happen for Nintendo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have just been informed that Green Lantern game for the 3DS is region free. Is this correct? Since IIRC all 3DS games are region-locked?

So it is not hardware locked, its publisher's choice?

Platy

Lol some guy is now asking Nintendo to keep the region locking: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnU9eyd7w

How does region locking have ANYTHING to do with allowing homebrew ?

It is like the EXACT OPOSITE.
People are focusing on homebrew so much to ALLOW REGION FREE

Because if you travel to the europe/usa/australia and decide to buy a physical copy of a game for the portable videogame you are using you will not be able.

Yagharek

Region locking rarely bothers me because I'm not bilingual, but it was a handy feature for DS since it enabled me to get electroplankton and ouendan and enjoy them,

So I support this campaign. Especially knowing others will get a lot more out of it.

Meelow

Banned
Why should I bother thinking about something if it doesn't directly affect me again?

Like what Cheesemeister and Keyouta said, we all worked hard to convince Microsoft to stop with the DRM, and we should all work hard to convince Nintendo to stop region locking systems, it helps gamers out in the long run and not just gamers but Nintendo.

Davey Cakes

If I didn't have a DS Lite, I would not have gotten to experience Last Window, the sequel to one of my favorite localized DS games (Hotel Dusk).

I support region-free systems just from a consumer standpoint, but experiencing a non-localized game that was still 100% playable made me realize that we should be able to take the option if NOA isn't willing to.

JazzmanZ

We all worked together to bring down always-online DRM on Xbox One. Together, we can make gaming better for all of us.
I think the difference here is the xbone drm policy was widly criticised from everyone, region locking is only criticised by a small amount of people

CLEEK

I would normally scoff at the idea that Nintendo would ever change their polices based on internet reactions. But after the Xbox 180, and more importantly, the 60Hz Virtual Console move, this could happen.

Remember, there was just as much internet outcry when the Wii VC started and PAL consoles were stuff with 50Hz VC games, but Nintendo didn't change anything. The only difference between the Wii and the WiiU is the impact of social media. Especially Miiverse.

jay

I need to stop posting on Miiverse. It's really hard to not be negative and tell everyone how wrong and terrible they are.

Vans

I sent a tweet.

The only reason I haven't bought a 3DS yet is because of the region lock.

As a college student I just can't afford getting two systems just to be able to enjoy content in two different languages (Japanese, English). :(

backlot

I would have never been able to play Last Window if DS was region locked. I'm not looking forward to NoA failing to localize another game I want to play this generation.

Marche90

Honestly, I do think that it's a good idea doing a campaign against the region-lock, but so far, it hasn't produced a big splash in the community. I wonder if a change of approach is needed, and if that were the case: how?

Also, if we're here already... Creating a campaing to stop locking digital purchases to hardware?. I don't mind them (I must have spent more than $100 digitally in my 3DS already), but a lot of people do, and that definitely hurt their online businesses. The service is pretty good, but that one is a fatal flaw.

Maybe combining both things to make more people rally for this is what this campaing needs? You can get both people to rally a single campaign.

Q8D3vil

The only thing that is keeping me from buying a 3ds is the region lock. I used to borrow Super robot games for the ds and i hate that i cant do that anymore.

Meelow

Banned
Honestly, I do think that it's a good idea doing a campaign against the region-lock, but so far, it hasn't produced a big splash in the community. I wonder if a change of approach is needed, and if that were the case: how?

Also, if we're here already... Creating a campaing to stop locking digital purchases to hardware?. I don't mind them (I must have spent more than $100 digitally in my 3DS already), but a lot of people do, and that definitely hurt their online businesses. The service is pretty good, but that one is a fatal flaw.

Maybe combining both things to make more people rally for this is what this campaing needs? You can get both people to rally a single campaign.

Messaging big websites to report this, and even Operation Rainfall will do good, I remember TONS of sights reported how Nintendo fans were petitioning for Dark Souls 2 on Wii U, even IGN reported this and put it on IGN Daily Fix.

So if a lot of sites report this it will only do good for all of us and make it easier.

Top Bottom