• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets discuss John Carpenter's "Halloween" (1978)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

For the record, I fully supported the anthology idea. I think it would have been fucking cool to do something different each time. I think it would have been amazing if Halloween 2 through 10 could have been Season of the Witch-esque detours. And THEN you bring Myers back completely unexpectedly after like 15 years to close the series. Would have been dope as fuck.

Having said that, I'll still always be there day one for each new Halloween.

er didnt carpenter only do the first halloween

Only directed the first, yes. But was heavily involved in the first two sequels.

in addition to the review above in my post: I usually head to blu-ray.com for blu reviews. for Halloween they say the picture looks really great, special features are mediocre, and sound could be better but overall it's a definite buy.

Thanks! I can see myself using that site a lot in the future.

Also, I've always written off Halloween III, and had little to no interest in seeing it, but after hearing yours and a few others thoughts on it in here, I'm going to check it out.

What a great thread. Halloween is my favourite horror of all time. JLC is smoking as Laurie, loved her as a kid, she's still got it now actually.

Did you guys know that the mask the shape wears is a spray painted William Shatner mask?

LOL of course you do just kidding, but I am always surprised how many of my friends are not aware of this whenever I bring it up, gives such an iconic mask a bit more of a sinister factor knowing that I think.

I went to see this movie at the drive-in when it was first released - 16 years old in my Dad's Fury with Michelle Ashwood. It was a very good night. :)

Loved the movie - of course it scared us silly... It was completely revolutionary in its day; I'd never seen anything like it before! Alien and Dawn of the Dead would hit theatres in '79 and then Friday the 13th would follow in 1980, but before October 1978 there was simply nothing to prepare us middle class suburban teenagers for Halloween! It's probably pretty hard to imagine today, but it really hit a nerve with everyone who saw it and absolutely galvanized kids that fall, at least in my neighbourhood: it was the talk of the school, everyone had to see it, parents were confused, shocked, repulsed by it (excellent!)... An iconic movie that's very much a part of my life by virtue of when it was released.

Yes. Exactly.

Not bad for a movie with a budget of $320,000 (for comparison, Star Wars, released two years previously, had a budget of $10,000,000).

I am also a huge fan of Carpenter's follow-up film, The Fog, though I know it's not held in as high regard by most. Honestly, I couldn't care less about any of the sequels or the Zombie remake.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I went to see this movie at the drive-in when it was first released - 16 years old in my Dad's Fury with Michelle Ashwood. It was a very good night. :)

Loved the movie - of course it scared us silly... It was completely revolutionary in its day; I'd never seen anything like it before! Alien and Dawn of the Dead would hit theatres in '79 and then Friday the 13th would follow in 1980, but before October 1978 there was simply nothing to prepare us middle class suburban teenagers for Halloween! It's probably pretty hard to imagine today, but it really hit a nerve with everyone who saw it and absolutely galvanized kids that fall, at least in my neighbourhood: it was the talk of the school, everyone had to see it, parents were confused, shocked, repulsed by it (excellent!)... An iconic movie that's very much a part of my life by virtue of when it was released.

Yes. Exactly.

Not bad for a movie with a budget of $320,000 (for comparison, Star Wars, released two years previously, had a budget of $10,000,000).

I am also a huge fan of Carpenter's follow-up film, The Fog, though I know it's not held in as high regard by most. Honestly, I couldn't care less about any of the sequels or the Zombie remake.

Really enjoyed this post. It's awesome hearing from someone who was the right age, at the right time, in the right place.

I never really got to experience something like that. I guess probably the closest was when Scream or Blair Witch Project came out. Those were exciting times.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
SO....

Trick or Treat Studios now has the rights to the Myers mask... $59.00.

michael_myers_halloween_2_mask_5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom