• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss the Super Mario Odyssey main theme!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there a Japanese version of the song somewhere? You can really tell that the song's melody was written first in Japanese and just translated into English.
There is seemingly a version with Japanese lyrics, don't think it's anywhere yet, but also don't know if that means they got a Japanese singer to correlate those lyrics rather than a translation of the English lyrics.

The voice and slightly goofy lyrics remind me of a Miyazaki end credit song. Very kids-friendly vocals. But I like it.

It's definitely growing on me, but I'm looking forward to the less saccharine covers.

Majukun

It's catchy but feels out of place in a Mario game..although mixing stuff that wouldn't usually be in a Mario game seems the theme of this game

Kureransu

It was very safe. It was fun, but I found it uninspired after the crazy universe-spanning, planet-hopping, orchestrated masterpiece that was Galaxy. And Galaxy never felt linear - you could wander all around each planet for multiple stars.

3D World had time limited point A to point B levels, most of which were fine but few of which felt truly groundbreaking.

It gave the illusion that you could, but each star was it's own instance of the galaxy, with predetermined planets set for you to travel to. Galaxy was pretty linear in that respect.

When it comes to 3d mario I feel like 3d world would be the natural progress from 2d mario to 3d. It is 2d mario in 3d. and it's amazing for it.

qko

Is there like jazzy/Big Band snobbery going on at Nintendo? I loved it with MK8, and ok with it in SMO, but I hope they cut the chord soon because jazz has a tendency to get irrelevant quick.

atr0cious

As far as lyrics and theme go, the song is on Snake Eaters level, which is to say it's brilliant. Been singing Odyssey, yes see, all day.

Is there like jazzy/Big Band snobbery going on at Nintendo? I loved it with MK8, and ok with it in SMO, but I hope they cut the chord soon because jazz has a tendency to get irrelevant quick.

I think they've been doing it where appropriate, I mean it worked wonderfully in your examples and the same looks like it could be said for Odyssey. I also don't think the entire soundtrack for these things have been jazz. Actually, in none of them. This game has this theme song but I'm hearing more traditional style music in the actual game.

Menitta

Mario Odyssey looks like pure joy in video game form and I'll be your 1-Up Girl increases that exponentially. Such a good theme.

Maebe

First time I heard it in the trailer I wasn't impressed but after listening to the full song and reading the lyrics I love it more and more.

Mit-

I thought this was just a New Donk City theme. Do we know for certain that this is the entire game's main theme?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Yeah. We need to go back to every videogame soundtrack being classic orchestral.

peakish

It's beautifully played and composed big band, jazzy amazingness!
The vocal performance and lyrics are pretty corny and kitschy though, like something out of those cringey Sonic Adventure games.
I kind of hope this doesn't become a staple of the series going forward.

So yeah, I'm mixed on it...but it is catchy.
I'm on this, the music is good but the vocals drag it down. The singer lacks the punch that I expect from this sort of music.

Hopeford

I'm not sure how to explain it, but it feels like the kind of song where ten years from now I'll hear one note from it and fondly remember playing the game with my friends.

rudger

Sega would be proud!

Vocal up beat songs need to come back.

Lol. This was literally my first thought. Soooo Sega, but in the best way.

Also, did anybody discuss the line about getting new crew? Do we think it's just a reference to the various characters he can inhabit, or are they hinting at different characters to actually gather and play as?

I think the song fits Mario like a glove and it's the perfect introduction for a game that supposedly is going to take Mario into a very different direction, it's adventurous.

This is such an uplifting and energizing song to wake up to in the morning!

Seriously been in love with this track since E3 - it might be my favourite theme from any game.
..well, tied with Simple & Clean.

Foolworm

Absolutely hate it. If it is in the game there better be an option to turn it off. If I want wannabe J-Pop in my game I'll play one of the many games designed to include it. As a song in itself, still hate it but given it has more than 4 lines of lyrics and an actual structure it beats teen pop music these days.

For some reason it reminded me of some classic eighties J-pop. Night of Summerside from KOR springs to mind.

I had it on background while reading Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido and it was PERFECT.

Top Bottom