• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss the Super Mario Odyssey main theme!

wildfire

Banned
Absolutely hate it. If it is in the game there better be an option to turn it off. If I want wannabe J-Pop in my game I'll play one of the many games designed to include it. As a song in itself, still hate it but given it has more than 4 lines of lyrics and an actual structure it beats teen pop music these days.

You're such an alpha nerd.

You're not walking away from confusing big band/jazz for J-Pop.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
wannabe J-Pop

UP75zcn.gif

Found it a bit annoying. Don't really like vocals in my mario themes.

Don't mind the song itself though. Just don't think it goes with the game much.

Wiped89

It's brilliant because it's so unexpected. Nintendo is not making a 'safe' game here (cough 3D World). They are going all out and trying crazy things (cough Galaxy). This theme song is an appropriate musical metaphor for the approach to the entire game.

HeroR

It's brilliant because it's so unexpected. Nintendo is not making a 'safe' game here (cough 3D World). They are going all out and trying crazy things (cough Galaxy). This theme song is an appropriate musical metaphor for the approach to the entire game.

Calling 3D World a safe game is a bit much given that it was the first multi-player 3D Mario game, while Galaxy was actually tone down from Mario 64 to make a linear 3D Mario game.

MBR

Banned
It's great, but nothing I'd listen to day to day. It sounds like a great fit for a cartoon intro though and captures a joyful feeling of adventure.

I like the song, and it fits the New York theme of New Donk City (and Pauline's singing it!), but in general, a song like this just doesn't belong in a Mario game in my opinion. The whole big band jazz thing with mostly real world instruments doesn't fit Mario at all either (nor do most of the tracks that are fully orchestrated starting with the Galaxy series). Mario's music direction should stay almost completely synth. That's what's always fit best.

Wiped89

Calling 3D World a safe game is a bit much given that it was the first multi-player 3D Mario game, while Galaxy was actually tone down from Mario 64 to make a linear 3D Mario game.

It was very safe. It was fun, but I found it uninspired after the crazy universe-spanning, planet-hopping, orchestrated masterpiece that was Galaxy. And Galaxy never felt linear - you could wander all around each planet for multiple stars.

3D World had time limited point A to point B levels, most of which were fine but few of which felt truly groundbreaking.

Phu

Banned
I like the song, and it fits the New York theme of New Donk City (and Pauline's singing it!), but in general, a song like this just doesn't belong in a Mario game in my opinion. The whole big band jazz thing with mostly real world instruments doesn't fit Mario at all either (nor do most of the tracks that are fully orchestrated starting with the Galaxy series). Mario's music direction should stay almost completely synth. That's what's always fit best.

I disagree. Yeah, there's room for synth stuff but jazz is totally Mario's jam.

Speely

Banned
It's an amazing arrangement for sure, but the lead vocal performance is just...

OUTSTANDING omg.

I'd even call it... captivating.

Cbajd5

Is there a Japanese version of the song somewhere? You can really tell that the song's melody was written first in Japanese and just translated into English.
If there is a Japanese version of the song they didn't use it in the Japanese version of the trailer. Other trailers (like the Xenoblade & Fire Emblem Warriors trailers) replaced the English voices with Japanese voices as well, so there might not be a Japanese version. (At least trailer length, I guess.)

Ive been hearing it nonstop and it was love at first sight.
Not surprising because big band and swing are my favourite genres ever.
The lyrics have so many injokes that makes me nothing but have a smile everytime I hear them
And then the song is tying koizumi's crazy amazing story idea of using the new york/brooklin setting and lore with a twist that is a parallel universe new york (so somewhat similar to the Nintendo america old odiea for the mario cartoons) and were probably mario lived beofore arriving to the mushroom kingdom. Were a coming back to the jumpman and Donkey Kong routes amd it feels crazy amzing, im glad Koizumi that likes to tell this crazy epic and fun stories for his Marios is basically telling Miyamoto to shut up with the non story mario stuff. Mario galaxy 2 for me never was as amazing as the original with the telling the same story but in a shitty way of less story and grandiose is better.
Pauline being the mayor of a 1920's parallel donkey kong new york is just the cherry on top (something tells me he will be at the end of the game).

And of course, the amazing tribute to the original DK ost during the chorus.

This is turning into one of my favourite videogames themes ever.

BTW i will add the word cringe is probably one of my most hated words of the english dictionary and a horrible and insiped way to state any opinion in ourdays. im glad it doesnt exist an equivalent in my language.

Speely

Banned
Ive been hearing it nonstop and it was love at first sight.
Not surprising because big band and swing are my favourite genres ever.
The lyrics have so many injokes that makes me nothing but have a smile everytime I hear them
And then the song is tying koizumi's crazy amazing story idea of using the new york/brooklin setting and lore with a twist that is a parallel universe new york (so somewhat similar to the Nintendo america old odiea for the mario cartoons) and were probably mario lived beofore arriving to the mushroom kingdom. Were a coming back to the jumpman and Donkey Kong routes amd it feels crazy amzing, im glad Koizumi that likes to tell this crazy epic and fun stories for his Marios is basically telling Miyamoto to shut up with the non story mario stuff. Mario galaxy 2 for me never was as amazing as the original with the telling the same story but in a shitty way of less story and grandiose is better.
Pauline being the mayor of a 1920's parallel donkey kong new york is just the cherry on top (something tells me he will be at the end of the game).

And of course, the amazing tribute to the original DK ost during the chorus.

This is turning into one of my favourite videogames themes ever.

BTW i will add the word cringe is probably one of my most hated words of the english dictionary and a horrible and insiped way to state any opinion in ourdays.
im glad it doesnt exist an equivalent in my language.

I agree with your whole post, but especially the bolded. It's right above "try hard" on my list of lazy ways to shit on something without providing any reasoning beyond some insubstantial sort-of-agreed-upon internet meme logic.

Kevdo

It took me a few listens before I even realized it has DK tunes in it, it's brilliant!

I love it so much <3

Cathcart

BTW i will add the word cringe is probably one of my most hated words of the english dictionary and a horrible and insiped way to state any opinion in ourdays. im glad it doesnt exist an equivalent in my language.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and will vote for you in the next election.

exfatal

I love it, its an amazing catchy tune and surprised nintendo decided to go with lyrics. But god damn did it pay off.

Absolutely hate it. If it is in the game there better be an option to turn it off. If I want wannabe J-Pop in my game I'll play one of the many games designed to include it. As a song in itself, still hate it but given it has more than 4 lines of lyrics and an actual structure it beats teen pop music these days.
are you trolling

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hate it. Sorry babbys, but putting vocals in Mario song is an attack on the natural order. Furthermore, that song makes New Donk City a lot more difficult to stomach. The song feels so out of place, just like everything else in that game,

Dreavus

It's a really fun song, I think it fits well.

A couple lines are a little on the nose ("I'm flipping the switch" lmao) but it's still cool.

Top Bottom