• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss the Super Mario Odyssey main theme!

gardfish

My initial reaction was "what the hell, lyrics in Mario music?" But immediately after that I loved it, it's just so unabashedly cheerful and infectiously catchy. It's one of my favorite Mario tracks now, without a doubt.

emb

I like it. It's just silly enough to be fun and interesting.

Not a great song imo, more so just surprising.

Raw64life

Thanks to me standing in line for over 3 hours to play Odyssey yesterday, I went from immediately hating it, to having it grow on me, to never wanting to hear it again pretty quickly. It plays about every 10 minutes on the show floor.

jariw

I like everything else I've heard so far though, especially that main theme (from the reveal trailer).

https://youtu.be/sxqt_giPu6E

It sounds like they haven't recorded the music live yet (this is clearly synth) so it's going to be really awesome once that's done!

I think it's actually this band playing the new Mario theme:
https://youtu.be/1d4qix5PPWI?t=46m15s

And the sounds design of the Mario Odyssey theme is similar to the MK8 live soundstrack, IMO.

-shadow-

I love the music but can't stand the lyrics. They keep reminding me of Sonic, and that's never a good thing! 😂

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Voidwolf

I didn't realize until almost halfway through the trailer that there was actual singing and once I did it seemed a little odd, but then it just felt so right.

Cpt Lmao

I've been listening to it all day, it's incredible.

I think Nintendo should release it, I honestly think it could chart over the summer.

The007JiM

When i heard it yerterday:

Here we go, off the rails,
Don't you know it's time to raise our sales?

Nice song. Nice to see Pauline too.

The more I read the lyrics the deeper it gets.

Ex. the line about any captain needing a crew.

So Mario's cap is the cap-tain of the hat ship.

waitwaitwait

Peach and Mario are finally getting married!? WHAAAAAT!?

Naw.

4k0JUhg.jpg

RK128

A vocal track in a 3D Mario title...just another wonderful surprise 2017 offers. To be completely serious though, it sounds utterly amazing. Not only does it match Mario like a glove, but it also feels so filled with joy and heart.

It screams 'Nintendo is back with a new Mario adventure!' and I love it for that. The other music for Odyssey is great stuff too, but that is expected after Galaxy 1/2 and 3D World having amazing scores.

I mean, thinking about it now, this is the perfect opportunity to do something like that, with the whole wedding theme and all.

I never really considered it before because the relationship between Mario and Peach has been the same for over 30 years, but this game is already taking many big risks, so why not add that to the pile?

Not feeling it, but not hating on it either. It'll be blasted in my living room, so I may as well get used to it.

Cool that it's Pauline. Nice throwback.

Phu

Banned
I know Pauline is shown singing in the trailer, but is it confirmed that she's singing this song?

Not sure it's 'confirmed', just people connecting the dots. Pauline singing in the trailer, the trailer song having a callback to Donkey Kong...it wouldn't be surprising if that were the case.

jugann

Neo Member
I love it! It makes me feel so much joy. I couldn't wipe the grin from my face when I was watching the trailer.

I wish Odyssey's main theme never existed, because I can't stop listening to it

Big Band Jazz works so well for Mario, even moreso than a symphonic orchestra the Galaxy games provided

Tain

i thought it was extremely cute

It reminded me of Bayonetta 2's music, also? I can't put my finger on why.

Symbiotx

I hate it. I hate it soooo much. It would be meh without the singing, but the singing makes me want to stab myself in the ear with a screwdriver.

It's beautifully played and composed big band, jazzy amazingness!
The vocal performance and lyrics are pretty corny and kitschy though, like something out of those cringey Sonic Adventure games.
I kind of hope this doesn't become a staple of the series going forward.

So yeah, I'm mixed on it...but it is catchy.

Top Bottom