• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets do something about the PSN issues.

Begaria

Ironically the only real way to fix PSN is if the consumer continues to give money to Sony for them to use that money to stabilize the service.

Gamer345

Banned
The best way to do something is vote with your wallet. Stop subscribing.

Spot on,

PSN wont get better the next day cause you complained, Sony have to make their online infrastructure better and it wont take a day, so until then if you are not satisfied, then stop paying for it

bob page

I'm still happy with it but there's really no excuses for the constant outages. It's like amateur hour over at their networking/database office or something.

Nephtes

Ironically the only real way to fix PSN is if the consumer continues to give money to Sony for them to use that money to stabilize the service.

I don't think they have the incentive to fix it. PlayStation is doing great, the rest of Sony is not. They're probably using our PS+ money to help prop up thr rest of the company...

Logash

So don't commit to an ecosystem. Live in them all. You get all of the exclusives... And you get to be high and mighty above the console warz because you don't have a horse in the race. It's great... (and cheap this Gen compared to last too).

Being "committed" has a connotation of "insanity" you know? ^_^;

Being committed to an ecosystem doesn't mean I don't want to or own any other console. It means I play most my games on Playstation. It's not as easy as getting an Xbox One and switching. All my friends are on Playstation and any time a multiplatform game comes out I get it on Playstation. I will eventually get an Xbox One (especially with these deals) but it will never be my main console. I rather do something about fixing the ecosystem I am in rather than jump ship.

Killer

Banned
Best way is to vote with you wallet, but i think it's too late for that. MS got their shit together with xbox one with low preorders/sales. Sony might need same slap in the face to wake up.

Guile

Banned
Can't people in America just start suing Sony if this keeps up? I mean a paid product/service is supposed to be working an ''x'' amount of time right...?

I fully agree though, this is starting to get really ridiculous. If PSN was free I would see it through but now its 50$? Come on Sony.

I'd like to think that Sony knows.

I'm thinking that a lot of it has to do with unforseen demand on the network.

I'm hoping that Sony is now investing in some long term solutions for this stuff as they modernize and improve. After all, they've got quite a few PS+ subscriptions to fund this sort of stuff.

As far as voting with your dollar:

It's tough.

1. The best value involves buying PS+ for a year. Mine is good until February. And even then, I still want PS+ for all the free games I have on PS3 and Vita.

2. Not renewing PS+ means no online gaming unless I switch to another platform for my games fix.
That involves me buying an Xbox One and a live subscription. Not a cheap alternative.

It's one thing for Sony to not have all the bells and whistles the Xbox One has for its online service. That stuff is harder to advertise anyway.
But people do notice when your stuff doesn't work. It's a great way to create disinterest in your platform.

Oh the PSN didn't work when you are your buddies organized a time to meet up and play? Suddenly you're all a little less excited to try again.

That being said:
My only PSN issue has been the DDOS attack.
Seemingly, everytime I get on BF4 I'm good to go. I hop on party chat and play just fine.
And I've got almost 200 hours into the game so far.

Alx

Well a lot of people have PS+ catalog games they might want to play and are subscribing for that rather than subscribing strictly for the online service, making it difficult to send that message.

That's the whole point of voting with your wallet though. If you consider that the subscription is worth it, then by keeping it you send the message that things aren't so bad and you're happy enough with the service. Which is a valid opinion, but that rather comforts Sony not to change a thing.

Gamer345

Banned
Can't people in America just start suing Sony if this keeps up? I mean a paid product/service is supposed to be working an ''x'' amount of time right...?

I fully agree though, this is starting to get really ridiculous. If PSN was still free I would see it through but now... come on.

Not going to happen, Sony clearly have an agreement in the place of psn being faulty

I don't think they have the incentive to fix it. PlayStation is doing great, the rest of Sony is not. They're probably using our PS+ money to help prop up thr rest of the company...

Makes you wonder if another company would be interested in purchasing the Playstation brand.

I am afraid that the success of the PS4 will just go towards paying down debts rather than creating a better product.

Boke1879

Eh. I don't think Sony is just sitting on the PS+ money. I think they are investing it. I just think they need to get this service straight. I think they are content with the service as is because it's usable.

I remember the great 360 outage back in the day, which lead to MS giving away some games. PSN is going to collapse over Christmas now that PS4 seems to be the console of choice for most gamers, online or otherwise. If the servers can barely handle Destiny, lord knows how it;ll handle Destiny, Call of Duty and Unity.

Makes you wonder if another company would be interested in purchasing the Playstation brand.

I am afraid that the success of the PS4 will just go towards paying down debts rather than creating a better product.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Massive amounts of new subscribers, even more massive amounts of sales, and we still have PS3-era PSN issues. If I were a betting man I'd make a wager they're not reinvesting their profit back into their infrastructure at all.

Gamer345

Banned

What a load of crap-static

You have any proof of this? Sony need to improve their online infrastructures cause they suddenly have businesses lioke Gaikai, online tv deal with Viacom and more, so the infrastructure will be improved as Kaz Hiral has made clear but to assume everytime PSN goes down that Sony arent doing anything is ridiclous. If they want to keep making money, they will have to spend money on improving the service

And I see a lot of arm chair analysts who suddenly know enough about Sony finances to say they are using PSN money to pay off debts, Sony are still making money on other branches as well as Playstation, usually every department be will responsible for its own finances,

AlucardGV

Banned

they're all different parts of the company and i don't think they can pass money from department so easily. not that psn+ money can help sony in any meaningful way.

Nephtes

I doubt they would sell their cash cow when their electronics divisions are doing so poor. I'd expect them to sell their TV manufacturing business before PlayStation.

But I agree, they're using the PS4's success to stay afloat as a conglomerate...

Well a lot of people have PS+ catalog games they might want to play and are subscribing for that rather than subscribing strictly for the online service, making it difficult to send that message.

What you are basically saying is you are happy with the service then.

mdubs

Banned
That's the whole point of voting with your wallet though. If you consider that the subscription is worth it, then by keeping it you send the message that things aren't so bad and you're happy enough with the service. Which is a valid opinion, but that rather comforts Sony not to change a thing.

Should people have to deal with one part of the service they consider bad because they happen to like another part of the service? If yes, are you saying they should just deal with it, or should they express their displeasure in the way OP is suggesting?

What you are basically saying is you are happy with the service then.
Because "I don't want to lose my PS+ games" and "The consistency of the service working is disappointing" = I'm happy with the service.

Nephtes

What a load of crap-static

You have any proof of this? Sony need to improve their online infrastructures cause they suddenly have businesses lioke Gaikai, online tv deal with Viacom and more, so the infrastructure will be improved as Kaz Hiral made it, but to assume everytime PSN goes down that Sony arent doing anything is ridiclous. If they want to keep making money, they will have to spend money on improving the service

LOL, I never said Sony isn't doing anything when PSN goes down. Like any network it has engineers that are responsible for keeping it up.

I'm merely suggesting that Sony isn't investing in PSN's infrastructure as much as they could or should be.

You're pretty much screwed in terms of doing something that will make Sony really pay attention if you've paid for a year or more in advance.

A twitter campaign might work, but the problem is that it has to get the same groundswell of support that the #nodrm movement got, otherwise it will just be brushed aside a a vocal minority complaining.

Should people have to deal with one part of the service they consider bad because they happen to like another part of the service? If yes, are you saying they should just deal with it, or should they express their displeasure in the way OP is suggesting?

Because "I don't want to lose my PS+ games" and "The consistency of the service working is disappointing" = I'm happy with the service.

Yes. Think about it. What you are saying is that the PS+ games alone are worth the price of admission to you. Ultimately the only thing that matters in these cases is money. You can tweet and email until the cows come home but if you are doing that while at the same time continuing to pay the subscription fee because you can't bear to part with your PS+ games, what message does that really send?

lol. It was decided months before E3 that the system would be that way. Had nothing to do with the twitter campaign.

I agree. I think what happened was, they weren't planning on having the system work that way, and when it became a shitshow for MS they noticed the twitter campaign and decided to take advantage of it and really rub it in that they didn't have a system like that.

So in a way I think the twitter campaign motivated them to make their lack of online-only DRM stuff a talking point at the presser, and that joke "tutorial" video about lending games, so I think it had an impact that way. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Sony was already not planning on having that system.

Quotient

This is me. I hardly play online mp games. I sub'ed mostly for the instant game collection.

This holiday season is going to be a big test for Sony and PSN (and Microsoft too, though the magnifying glass will be more focused on Sony). They need to ensure that friends list, match-making etc are available across the whole holiday period or they will start to garner negative word of mouth for their network much like Microsoft has for performance.

I am happy with the service.

Me too, I know it goes down sometimes, and can be an inconvenience, but I teach with technology so I experience how technology isn't 100percent dependable like every day..

For example, yesterday Google Drive went down for many people across the country for a couple of hours. It sucked for my class, so we had to do something else, it threw my lesson plans behind a day, and we moved on...

PSN went down today, the store went down, so I just surfed GAF until it came back. I guess I don't get to worked up about it....but I understand why others do.

mdubs

Banned
Yes. Think about it. What you are saying is that the PS+ games alone are worth the price of admission to you. Ultimately the only thing that matters in these cases is money. You can tweet and email until the cows come home but if you are doing that while at the same time continuing to pay the subscription fee because you can't bear to part with your PS+ games, what message does that really send?

It sends the message that Sony can get away without addressing network consistency. I'm not of the mindset that Sony should be thinking "well the PS+ games keep them subscribing so who cares about the infrastructure".

PSN has gotten, in some ways, worse over the past couple of months. The most consistent issue I have is with messaging friends. I have to wait sometimes a minute or two for a message to load up. Other things lag, but that one happens constantly - so if anybody knows a fix for this problem that would be great. I have a PS3 and Vita as well.

Overall though, I've found PSN to be adequate. I hope that Sony strives to make PSN excellent.

Chabbles

I was happy enough with the service up until the last few months. (although i've always had problems with how slow stuff downloads considering my internet speed, in comparison to services like steam or origin which are free). Not being able to access the store from PS3(freezing the console, or just geting booted back to xmb) and sometimes PS4 doing similar shit, getting signed out or not being able to sign in at all lately sometimes.. its not on sony, when it was a free service i barely ever had issues like this... im in Ireland and have been reading on boards.ie of other irish users having the same issues..

One issue thats always been a problem with psn is download speeds(this used to happen to me before the PS4 launched on the PS3 too), i start downloading something and it starts off lightening fast speeds, but within 5 minutes the download speed slows to a crawl.. and will continue at dial up speeds until i sign out of psn and back in again, rinse and repeat every few minutes to keep speeds high... its annoying beyond words..

.hacked

Wish I could move my destiny save to Xbox.

This shit is ridiculous, can't even connect now. Brother ps4 is fine, hooked up on same network in same fucking room!!!!!

mdubs

Banned
That's the idea. Being unsatisfied with something and continuing to pay for it is oxymoronic. Not like you can't sell your PS4.

People pay for things all the time they aren't satisfied for. If your internet is spotty do you instantly change provider or do you complain?

I expected it to get better instead of worse when they asked us to start paying for the service....

The outages seem to have gotten worse since Destiny launched. I don't know if they are overwhelmed by the number of people online or what. If that's the case, it's gonna be getting worse here over the holiday season with shit like Call of Duty and more people getting their PS4's for Christmas.

I don't know what to do about it. I haven't seen a single article on any site reporting on how often it has been going down. And Sony hasn't said a word about it. At least tell us you're aware things have been rocky and you're working on it behind the scenes.

I think flooding everyone at Sony with tweets about it every time it goes down might be everyone's best bet right now. As OP said, don't be childish and tell them to go fuck themselves or anything. But, a simple tweet bemoaning outages would surely start getting some attention if done consistently and by a decent number of people. Maybe some press would start paying attention.

Works perfectly for me on PS3 and Vita.

As others have said, it's coming back up now. It has been down for a couple hours today though. OP should start keeping track and updating the first post with dates every time it goes down. It's not going down for huge chunks of time, but it has gone down at least a few times in the last month for a couple hours or more at a time. It's just getting fucking annoying. It's easy not to give a shit when you're not trying to get on when it's down, so a list starting to keep track of it might be good.

Chabbles

Why are people coming in to say they aren't having problems with the service ?. If its all good for you, why post ?. Put your loyalty in something other than a company and let the users who are having issues voice them. If it can help improve the service regardless whether you are having issues right now or not (which could happen to you), its good for everyone....

mdubs

Banned
Not when there are more satisfactory alternatives cough Xbox Live.

What if I'm someone who wants to stick with Playstation? I don't see why you are saying that consumers shouldn't be able to call out bad aspects of a service without saying "screw this I'm leaving". What a toxic perspective.

Alx

Well any service has its pros and cons, and if you consider the pros outweigh the cons then it means that everything considered, you're satisfied with the service. Sure you can still complain about your provider, but if in the end you keep coming back and giving him money, why would they make any effort ?
That's how business works, companies cater to their customers to keep them and attract more of them. If the customers will come anyway, there's no reason to bother.

Not everything is black or white of course. It's all about where different people will draw the line on what is acceptable and what isn't. There will always be clients cancelling their subscriptions even with the best services, and others that will keep theirs even when it doesn't work at all. And Sony itself draws a line on how many subscription losses / slowdowns are acceptable before it becomes urgent to do something.

labaronx

Why are people coming in to say they aren't having problems with the service ?. If its all good for you, why post ?. Put your loyalty in something other than a company and let the users who are having issues voice them. If it can help improve the service regardless whether you are having issues right now or not (which could happen to you), its good for everyone....

Because it adds context to the argument. If my us psn is working 100% capacity from Nashville and someone else us psn is working at 30% but its in China then that info needs to be stated clearly to determine what the problem is

Meh I've only had problems with driveclub PS+ version , such a mess.

If the service fucks up I will just play on Xbox one or wii u.

That's why you have multiple systems imo

If its only indies til E3 2015 then PS+ will not be renewed

I've had a problem with PSN like, once since PS4 launched. And a little bit of slowness a couple weeks ago.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, but there's enough people upset on here for me to know that there must be a real problem.

shink

I haven't had problems, but I'm happy to do something about it as it appears to be a big issue for many users and well online isn't free for PS4. So I can understand people's frustrations.

Me too, I know it goes down sometimes, and can be an inconvenience, but I teach with technology so I experience how technology isn't 100percent dependable like every day..

For example, yesterday Google Drive went down for many people across the country for a couple of hours. It sucked for my class, so we had to do something else, it threw my lesson plans behind a day, and we moved on...

PSN went down today, the store went down, so I just surfed GAF until it came back. I guess I don't get to worked up about it....but I understand why others do.

Go do something else isn't a solution to this problem dude.

Top Bottom