• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's do this again. What's your most disappointing game of the year?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Darksiders 2 ditched the Zelda formula that made the first one so good, threw in fetchquest after sidequest after fetchquest to ruin any sort of pacing, eliminated any plot motivation, and just made the game and dungeons boring. Its a shame because so much of the game is well built and there is a great degree of polish added to even the simplest of actions. They just screwed up the bigger picture somehow.

Darksiders 2 had a lot of the same flaws as, and felt a lot like, Kingdoms of Alamur, which came out earlier in the year.

Rubius

Diablo 3. Kinda sad that the franchise is probably dead since Diablo 3 is now more or else a MMO with sole purpose being to give money to Blizzard.

SSX. No contest.
The shine wore off quickly, unveiling deeply flawed, extremely frustrating, and highly un-fun game design choices.

Diablo 3. Kinda sad that the franchise is probably dead since Diablo 3 is now more or else a MMO with sole purpose being to give money to Blizzard.

Success went to those dude's heads. At that point, they thought anything they would do with the franchise was gonna be gold.

It's funny because you know, they could have just went it the opposite direction. Like not taken 10 years and just released another focused, intimate dungeon crawler. Instead, they did the complete opposite.

Have to agree with this. I waited 10+ years for this game and in the end it pretty much killed my interest in the franchise. Bilzzard are a shadow of their former selves.

Diablo III
I went into it fairly dark, but during the beta I was left to pause as to how they'd handle the skill system because it seemed like reducing the stats to automatically allocate and having skills that you can shuffle around at will killed all the character personalization of previous games. When I played the retail release, I found out that it actually was the case and everything seemed cynically designed as a loot grab. While the combat itself was an improvement over its predecessor, I found quest design, writing, and generally everything else to be watered down and lackluster. I got to level 60 before completing Hell and never even touched Inferno just due to how apparent they wanted to make the carrot on a stick.

Street Fighter X Tekken
Unlike a lot of people I actually liked the artstyle of the game coming into it, though they did kinda overgloss the characters but the backgrounds felt more reminiscent of the 2I/A2 games which I liked a lot. Ultimately the game played like a mess with its inclusion of gems and watching timeout after timeout, but the biggest slap in the face and turnoff was the DLC implementation. It greatly hurt my image of the company as a whole.

Max Payne 3
The game played great, definitely a worthy successor to the Max Payne name; unfortunately everything surrounding it wasn't. I think the backlash from the start towards bald Max was warranted, it's very rare that such a negative early impression comes around to being good in the end, and that wasn't the case here. I loved the atmosphere of the previous games set in a New York at night, covered in terrible weather, and some admittedly goofy characters. Instead I get a game that's a bit too much film and not enough game, which is a shame because I didn't like most of the characters and environments.

Halo 4
As a person who hates Halo Reach with a passion it was sad to see 4 carrying over elements of it like bloom, armour abilities, and upgrading sprint to a standard control feature. On top of that, bizarre choices like global ordnance replacing weapon spawns, the CTF changes, instant respawns, the Call of Duty-like loadouts that you need to gain levels to unlock items for, the perks, the maps being more catered towards sloppy BTB encounters, and a lot more have led me to sell the game after a couple of weeks. On the single player side of things the Promethean enemies are pretty much anti-fun every time they make an appearance in an encounter, and Spartan Ops as a mode is entirely fluff with its no consequence design; a poor replacement for Firefight.

so1337

I wouldn't say I was "disappointed" but...

Journey, just because it didn't have the same emotional impact that Flower had on me. I felt the payoff was a little too similar to Flower's. Still a terrific game, though.

I kind of expected RE6 to be bad and there are actually some merits to that game, so that doesn't count.

vladdamad

Absolutely and utterly Assassin's Creed 3. I was completely crushed. Absolutely everything that made the Ezio trilogy so special was gone, and we were left with a boring, soulless, bug-ridden mess of an open world game.

To be fair, I didn't play the Silent Hill HD collection, but if I had, it would probably be that

AC3, ME3, Diablo 3 and RE6 were all massive let downs. I also never beat Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3 or Torchlight 2. Nearly every major release has disappointed me this year. Hard times.

Raziel

max payne 3.

by the time i bought it, i had let go of the fact that it wasnt max payne. i bought it only wanting a good tps, with a modern michael mann-ish setting/influence. what i got was everything i hate about modern rockstar games gameplay: slow, sluggish, clunky. and the frequency of cutscenes was ridiculous.

gotta love games that disappoint you even after you lower your expectations.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
SFXT

The game just didn't feel right at all. The artistic style in terms of what they did with the coloring was just horrendous. The UI is so cluttered. Gameplay mechanics felt rushed and the gem system definitely felt like an after thought and added to many variables to the game. Definitely a useless gimmick.

plus the balance between characters didn't feel right, to me the Tekken side felt under powered, maybe it was just me but the lack of projecticle attacks didnt make them seem viable.

Zaventem

I wish i could join you guys in negativity but i'm extremely picky with my gaming purchases :( Will probably get ME3 but all the hate for the game is making me second guess buying it.

Mass Effect 3 is up there, but I fell out of love with the series with Mass Effect 2, so the hurt didn't sting AS much as it could've. SSX had some annoying track design, but it wasn't all bad. Darksiders II was a slight disappointment due to the very weak last 25%. I had fun in the first 2 worlds despite "The Rule of Threes" getting annoying, but the last few sections of the game were really bad. Twisted Metal was unbelievably frustrating. I don't think I got the online portion of the game to work for more than 20 minutes every hour. Pure broken, broken, broken. I loved how it played when it managed to work, but that was a waste of money.

Max Payne 3 on the other hand was a pretty big disappointment. The funny thing is that it might be the best feeling third person shooter this gen, possibly ever, but it's so held back by cutscene, after cutscene, after cutscene, many of them long and mostly unskippable, that I barely made it through a 2nd playthrough before giving up. I'm so conflicted when it comes to this game. It'll probably be THE reference point for character physics and animation in a shooter for years to come, but I just can't accept how bogged down the game is with frequent interruptions that really have no need to be there. More people will probably harp on the loss of Max Payne 2's dialogue style or heavy noir atmosphere, but I could've gotten past that if, at least, 90% of these cutscenes were gone. Just, ugh.

Feindflug

Still Darksiders 2 by far, the game lost the focus that the first game had and felt like it was made by a different team...a bigger but so boring world, stupid fetch quests, Death had barely any personality, the story was almost nonexistent, loot did more harm than good, the pacing was unbelievably bad and the whole game felt like a beta - technically the game was an unpolished piece of shit with lots of glitches, a shitty frame-rate with lots of tearing and random pauses all over the place.

It's like Vigil didn't understand what made the first Darksiders such a great game. :/

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Street Fighter X Tekken - Man, what a mess this game was. From the DLC fiasco to the gameplay being unbalanced as all fuck. Just so, so disappointing.

Lollipop Chainsaw - I wanted to like this. I really did. I guess I was just expecting something different than what I got. The writing did nothing for me, and I really just wanted more zombie killing and less wacky minigames/diversions. Again, this one is probably my fault for just expecting something different than what I got. I beat it once, got the bad end, and immediately sold it to another GAFfer.

EDIT: Also, what the poster below me said about Yakuza: Dead Souls. Yakuza with zombies should have been awesome, but instead it was just kinda "meh". Too many technical issues for me to really enjoy it. I gave up halfway through, and I usually LOVE Yakuza.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City is the worst game of the year for me, but not the most disappointing because I bought the game knowing full well that it was garbage, I only bought it to play co-op with a friend who's a huge RE fan. I didn't have high hopes for the game so I wasn't disappointed.

Most disappointing game of the year for me would be Yakuza - Dead Souls. I loved the Yakuza series and was very grateful and excited that Sega decided to make an English version of the spin-off game for its foreign audience. But Dead Souls was just very badly put together, the control was an absolute disaster, the camera was horrible, playing the game was not fun at all. You still have some of the trademark Yakuza quirkiness and OTT moments, but the technical problems are too prominent to overlook.

MIMIC

Banned
I only bought 1 game this year, but it was a disappointment, nonetheless:

Halo 4. The campaign felt so cheap...like it was rushed or something. It started off exciting, then pattered on and suddenly became dull. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about it story-wise. It felt like a game done out of necessity, rather than out of drive or innovation.

As far as multi-player is concerned, I don't have too many complaints. The randomness of the ordinances can get a little frustrating, but I don't mind them. It was inevitable that the developers would give the series a CoD makeover, and I don't think they strayed TOO far from Halo's roots; their integrity certainly wasn't compromised.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Asassins Creed 3 or Need for Speed Most Wanted or Max Payne 3 or SSX

Rubius

Have to agree with this. I waited 10+ years for this game and in the end it pretty much killed my interest in the franchise. Bilzzard are a shadow of their former selves.

At least we have a part of the original devs on Torchlight side. Lets hope one day we will get a Torchlight 3. Maybe in 10 years...

Ein Bear

Throwing in another vote for RE6. That game isn't even just my most disappointing game this year, it's my most disappointing game of all time.

RE4 is my favourite game ever made. It's perfect. You play RE6 and it's obvious that Capcom just don't understand why 4 worked so well, or why it's so well loved.

MattDoza

Mass Effect 3. Followed by Assassin's Creed 3. Both games I would have gladly played for 60+ hours a piece, but their stories completely disappointed me. Mostly in their endings.

persongr

This may not be really expected, but NFS: Most Wanted was a massive letdown for me:

-The stupid system of 5 races per car, which races tend to be the same for many cars.
-Fairhaven was great, but i was consistenly getting the feeling criterion didn't know what to do with it
-The cops are ultra smart, but the pursuits were not as amazing as HP
-Generally the single player mode was a drag after i got the mclaren, the top10 list was not a sufficient excuse to continue (thank god for achievements)
-The mp was fun, unless you had this player who was determined to ruin all the challenges by continuously crashing your car.
-That oversensitive crashing cam. I mean, come on Criterion. I'playing an NFS, not a Need for Burnout.

Don't get me wrong, it was gorgeous and fun, but generally a step down from hot pursuit in every regard.

This may not be really expected, but NFS: Most Wanted was a massive letdown for me:

-The stupid system of 5 races per car, which races tend to be the same for many cars.
-Fairhaven was great, but i was consistenly getting the feeling criterion didn't know what to do with it
-The cops are ultra smart, but the pursuits were not as amazing as HP
-Generally the single player mode was a drag after i got the mclaren, the top10 list was not a sufficient excuse to continue (thank god for achievements)
-The mp was fun, unless you had this player who was determined to ruin all the challenges by continuously crashing your car.
-That oversensitive crashing cam. I mean, come on Criterion. I'playing an NFS, not a Need for Burnout.

Don't get me wrong, it was gorgeous and fun, but generally a step down from hot pursuit in every regard.

Midnight Club: LA is secretly the best racer of this type on any platform.

TRAVESTY it didn't do better. One of my all time favorite games.

Hitman Absolution by a country mile! Turn the Hitman series into a Conviction knock-off and add in a completely BROKEN disguise system, eurgh!

Will there be a most disappointing game of the year award on gaf later? I feel it would be interesting just because this year has been quite notable for disappointing AAA releaes.

It's pretty wild how it's somehow managed to subvert or ignore everything I found appealing about the previous games, with Blood Money probably being my favorite game ever.

Blood Money was a commentary on heartless corporate greed being hidden under layers of deception, which fits into the game's mechanics of using disguises. For instance, the wedding is just a front to get hold of some sweet sweet inheritance money. 47 himself is a weird sexless product which is why he fits perfectly into this world. There also seems to be this kind of worker drone mentality where nobody notices that an employee has been replaced by some huge bald guy because, well, they wouldn't have cared anyway. It's a smart game, much smarter than people give it credit for.

In American Psycho, Patrick Bateman's murders were a metaphor for how his opulent lifestyle was facilitated by the suffering of people from a lower social status than himself. Likewise, Agent 47 inhabits a world where beloved institutions are built on blood and human lives can be equated to dollar amounts.

Absolution, though, has this pretty bog-standard revenge thriller plot wrapped up in an awful faux-grindhouse Robert Rodriguez aesthetic with latex nuns while 47 orders a bottle of "something brown".

I'm not a big fan of how it's gone from a sandbox murder puzzle to a straight up stealth game either. The Hitman formula is pretty unique and I would have really liked to see a truly next-gen take on it. Granted, it is a pretty good stealth game.

The levels that do attempt to emulate the older games are honestly just not very good at it. If you follow a guy for a while, he'll usually walk next to/under like ten things that'll kill him with a lever to activate each conveniently placed nearby.

Resident Evil 6, the biggest thing that makes it disappointing is I can see where it could have been an excellent game. There are some great ideas in there and the mechanics are actually pretty cool, the game is just filled to the brim with huge flaws that bring the whole product down, though.

SFxT
Assassins Creed 3
Mass Effect 3
Halo 4
Tekken Tag 2
Soul Calibur 5

I'm putting down to being jaded with this generation, it's gone on too long, and with just about everything released thesedays, there has been something better before it.

UrbanRats

No "HUGE" letdowns for me, because i didn't have massive expectations to begin with, but so far:

Max Payne 3 - mildly disappointing because of the cutscenes thing, but still had a ton of fun with the gameplay, especially on my second run, so disappointing but not disastrous.

Assassin's Creed 3 - i have yet to finish this, so it's a bit early to say, but i expected this to be my GOTY without the shadow of a doubt, and instead it floats between "Ah, this is great" and "Wow, people should be fired for this".
Overall, AC3 is, so far, my biggest disappointment this year: an unpolished, beautiful looking mess of a game.

As far as good surprises goes, though: Binary Domain, Sleeping Dogs, Dragon's Dogma and Hotline Miami were a TON of fun, this year.
I would say Dust Force too, but i ended up not playing too much of that, for some reason.

UrbanRats

Midnight Club: LA is secretly the best racer of this type on any platform.

TRAVESTY it didn't do better. One of my all time favorite games.

Apparently, they put that team (not the whole of R* San Diego, though) working on the car/vehicles/racing aspect of GTAV, going by one of the recent interviews.

Sorry for the dp.

Hindle

Banned
Mass Effect 3, Bioware went from creating RPGs like KOTOR to this, a linear, corridor, set piece driven pile of crap.

ME3. How you get sidequest in this game is so stupid "hey I was eavesdropping on your private conversation and I think you could use this."

MIMIC

Banned
SFxT
Assassins Creed 3
Mass Effect 3
Halo 4
Tekken Tag 2
Soul Calibur 5

I'm putting down to being jaded with this generation, it's gone on too long, and with just about everything released thesedays, there has been something better before it.

I could tell from a mile away that that game was gonna suck. =p I never even touched it.

Hitman: Absolution is not faring particularly well. the full-stealth levels just aren't very interesting, the lack of quick saves is beyond stupid, and the new disguise system just feels limiting.

_machine

Diablo III

It did a lot of things right and improved some aspects of the older games, but absolutely messed up some crucial aspects like loot and pacing and after hours and hours of truding on hoping that it would get better at later levels I realized I never really had any fun with the game apart from a few parts like bosses and seeing new environments and I'd never really enjoy the game. That coupled with the always online problems (login errors, disconnects, rubber-banding in single-player), the concept of DRM and RMAH (not bad in itself, but you can see it's effects in the loot aspect of the gameplay).

I thought that I'd just lost interest in the genre, but firing Titan Quest or Torchlight II even for a couple of hours proved me wrong. I respect the huge amount of work and polish put into D3, but I hardly enjoyed it at all. I got the game free from a guy who didn't like it and I put it forward for free, that alone should speak for what I thought of the game.

UrbanRats

Yeah aside from the quote from GI, about it feeling more like a legit racing game (they apparently rewritten the vehicles physics from scratch) i remember them mentioning people from the MC:LA team helping R* North work on the vehicles and racing aspects (which is not absurd, considering they always use all their studios for their major titles, and GTAV is the biggest one, yet) but it was such info madness that week, that i can't remember which preview or interview mentioned it, so don't take it as fact.
Houser also mentioned them using their knowledge from each of their previous games, with GTAV: wildlife and casual encounters from RDR; shooting from RDR and Max Payne 3; driving from MC:LA, so again, not absurd.

Belgorim

Man, this thread is making ME3 a tough buy for me... I might even skip it, is there realy nothing good about it? not even for a good sale of 5-10€ or something? I loved the first one, and the second wasnt bad.

I dont think I had any big dissapointments this year, stayed clear of most I guess. XCOM has dissapointing things in it, but only if I compare it to some utopian expectations I might have had from the original, I'm just happy there was finally a successor. Same with D3, so refreshing to finaly be able to log in and slay enemies in a not so ancient game (d2).

I did bore out on Dota 2 (but its only in beta so I guess it doesnt count), but only because I played way way way too much of the original and its the same game. I might be back when there is some sort of ranked arranged team option, I dont think that is implemented yet.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Darksiders II, definitely. The game is just far too long for its own good, consisting of far too many dull fetch quests. Doesn't help that the only really interesting realm is the first one, the loot/stat system doesn't really add anything to the main game, and the story is pretty mediocre too. And it ran like utter dogshit on PS3, whereas I never experienced any significant problems with the original.

And I'll throw in Batman: Arkham City GOTY too, since I didn't play the original version last year. Not really a bad game, it was just disappointing after playing the superior Arkham Asylum.

Oh, and Silent Hill HD Collection. Probably one of the worst ports ever. So awful.

AniHawk

mass effect 3, easily. it's not so bad on its own, but it completely fails to live up to the promise of the first game in the end. it basically ruins a trilogy.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Assassins Fucking Creed 3.

For the single fact theey made a more annoying character than Desmond.

Halo 4. Just feels off.

I enjoyed it and I admire what they are doing with the Spartan Ops stuff byt yeah... It felt off to me too.

Guild Wars 2
I absolutely adored Guild Wars 1, and before release everything look good. But once I played GW2 it was a bitter disappointment. Plays like every other MMO, no skill flexibility, all fights are an undecipherable mess, incredibly bad story, characters (Trahearne!) and voice acting, etc. Only the art of Daniel Dociu and the music of Jeremy Soule holds up.
This is clearly the case where a team stumbled upon a great design (Guild Wars 1) but didn't understand themselves what made it so great.

Top Bottom