• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's do this again. What's your most disappointing game of the year?

Ein Bear

People saying Paper Mario are making me sad. I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers so I don't know anything about it. I've asked for it for Christmas, is it really that bad? :(

I've mostly avoided disappointments, so Id go for Quantum Conundrum. I liked the harder puzzles but the humor felt contrived and the story wasn't even going anywhere. Im a fan of first person platforming, and it had good gameplay but I guess sometimes that's not enough for me.

cheesetom

Diablo 3

Bought two copies, one was for a friend. Used vacation days and took a week off to play.
Friend quit after a week, had to work Black Friday and now I have to work the weekend before Christmas because I used my vacation days.

Just thinking about it makes my want to cry.

Dreamer RD

Resident Evil 6

It's so fukin awful that even former RE5 haters began to love the game after playing this piece of crap.

diamount

Banned
Hitman Absolution

Everything just felt meh, stealth was broken, disguises were broken, the story and the characters were shit. Seriously, if you are going to start putting story in Hitman then at least make it serviceable.

Probably Mario Kart 7. It was the last game I bothered buying before eventually trading my 3DS in. It just didn't come close to its DS or Wii counterparts. I didn't enjoy many of the new tracks (Music Park being the exception) and the gliding / underwater mechanics just weren't compelling enough. It's a shame, since I love pretty much every other iteration of Mario Kart. Since there was absolutely nothing else out for the 3DS that I wanted for at least a further six months or so after its release, I think I was expecting far too much.

Bonus: Sonic Adventure 2 HD on the Xbox Live Arcade. That game has just not aged well. My nostalgia goggles where just not powerful enough.

Carbonox

I'd say Ninja Gaiden 3 but I knew what I was getting myself in to.

Resident Evil 6 would be my disappointment of the year. Fun game but such a poorly designed one.

Asherdude

Little Deviants. Why would I buy that? My Vita library was too small and I guess I had a brain fart. Oh well....
banghead.gif

vocab

SFXT - sold it
Diablo 3 - got a full refund on it.
ME3 - played half of it, and never want to play it again. More of the same. Really boring.

Out of curiosity, I counted.

Diablo 3 has so far been voted as 'most disappointing of the year' in this thread 69 times.

(I wish we could have a poll for this...)

Ragnarok Odyssey. I love stuff like Monster Hunter and PSO, but found this game to be wholly uninspiring and repetitive. And why the hell did I convince myself to DL over physical?! Anyway, my biggest disappointment game this year.

I guess Silent Hill HD would count too. I played post-patch on PS3 and wondered how bad it could be. Quite bad actually.

As before, Darksiders 2. Deviated too much from the structure of the first. It was all in all a rather dull, soulless game with a nasty change up in gameplay towards the end for a certain section.

Whilst I didn't buy the full game, RE6 was a nasty surprise going off the demo. Shitty camera and controls and turning the game into a shooter, even though there was good atmosphere for the Leon? parts.

UrbanRats

Diablo 3 has so far been voted as 'most disappointing of the year' in this thread 69 times.

I think that, Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 would win.

If you factor in Max Payne 3, it wasn't a good year for 3rd entries.

haikira

Mass Effect 3 for me.

I still enjoyed it and preferred it over Diablo 3, the other hot potato around here. The difference is, my expectations were very high for Mass Effect 3, but much more measured for Diablo 3.

Dishonored

Second favourite game of the year but it's a bit on the easy side and I feel too powerful sometimes. Could have done with some tighter stealth sections for example.
This.
The first couple of levels were great. But the game gets incredibly easy as you get power ups and upgrades and I was playing it on hard.
It literally made me way less interested in the game. I also wish it had more gadgets/weapons.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SSX

I did end up enjoying some of the Survive It levels but overall it was just an unnecessary addition and level design really suffered as a result. It's a good game and I still put a solid 30-40 hours into but it could have been so much more.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

We must have counted people who listed multiple games differently because I only had it at 67.

Top 10 up to post 476:

1) Diablo 3
2) Mass Effect 3
3) Assassin's Creed 3
4) Resident Evil 6
5) Halo 4
6) Guild Wars 2
7) Darksiders 2
8) Street Fighter X Tekken
9) Max Payne 3
10) SSX

Lyng

Mass Effect 3. Bad choises all the way.
Bad sidequests, lack of atmosphere. Horrible simplistic combat. Oh yeah and....dat ending

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Halo 4 is #5 on that list? It shouldn't even be on a list like this. Pretty surprised people were honestly disappointed by it. It made me fall back in love with the series. {shrugs}

SykoTech

Haven't experienced many disappointments thanks to restraining myself from impulse-buys for the past couple of years. But I had a slight relapse and impulse bought SFxT. Big mistake. Got some fun out of it, mainly in 2 vs 2 with my brother. The Tekken characters, Cole, Mega Man, and Pac Man were fun to fool around with too. But it wasn't worth $60. Online was just a mess between the gems, constant jabbing, and glitches. Usually I tough it out, but I just had to flat out quit playing SFxT online. Haven't down that since the mess that was Brawl's online.

Then there's the fact that I'd need to spend another $20 on top of the $60 in order to get the rest of the characters. And that DLC price will probably never drop, at least not permanently.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
We must have counted people who listed multiple games differently because I only had it at 67.

Top 10 up to post 476:

1) Diablo 3
2) Mass Effect 3
3) Assassin's Creed 3
4) Resident Evil 6
5) Halo 4
6) Guild Wars 2
7) Darksiders 2
8) Street Fighter X Tekken
9) Max Payne 3
10) SSX

It's almost as if someone cut this straight from the top 10 2012 metacritic ratings or something. Good to see backlash towards overhyped and overrated games. Well lol other than RE6 that is, which surely is one of the worst rated games this year, across the board.

Replicant

Assassin's Creed 3. Resident Evil 6 feels like a fun, exciting game when compared to this POS.

Mass Effect 3 will go as a runner-up for that shitty ending.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 is #5 on that list? It shouldn't even be on a list like this. Pretty surprised people were honestly disappointed by it. It made me fall back in love with the series. {shrugs}
And I'm surprised when people are surprised. There's a huge list of legitimate critiques of Halo 4, especially if you're a fan of the series and its multiplayer.

Max

I am not Max
Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The announcement of that game was what made me a 3DS owner.

Then it gets released and it contains no story, no characters, and well, nothing even worth talking about.

:(
Well I was looking forward to picking this up

My condolences

conman

It's almost as if someone cut this straight from the top 10 2012 metacritic ratings or something. Good to see backlash towards overhyped and overrated games.
Definitely. It's healthy to see well deserved ire aimed at bloated game development. It's the reason why small studios are doing such awesome work right now and actually being recognized for it.

Personally, I'm happy that such big games are also such big disappointments. It means we get more interesting games from the little guys.

Kusagari

Street Fighter X Tekken

Most of the others I really expected nothing from. I had no real hopes for RE6 and ME3 and Ninja Gaiden 3 was obviously going to be crap because of Hayashit.

For the majority of the year, I would have said that Max Payne 3 fit this title for me, but that was until I played and finished Hitman Absolution.

Unicorn

Diablo 3 might be the biggest disappointment of my entire gaming life.
Yeah. The demo thing showed me it was bad, but I still got it because all my friends had it and I wanted to play with them. I ended up playing more than any of them and it led to the final fights with my ex-gf which ended our relationship shortly after.

So, thanks Diablo 3 for speeding up the process of a dying relationship?

Top Bottom