• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's do this again. What's your most disappointing game of the year?

SykoTech

Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The announcement of that game was what made me a 3DS owner.

Then it gets released and it contains no story, no characters, and well, nothing even worth talking about.

:(

That hits me hard coming from a guy named after the great Rawk Hawk.

Might have to skip Sticker Star.

IrishNinja

My man. Those two, for all their flaws, are still my GOTYs. Especially Downpour was a blessing, as it washed away the foul taste after Homecoming and Shitty Memories shat in my mouth.

so sad i missed Lollipop for $10 from the MS store...did snag Downpour though, and see...i used to actually defend Homecoming on here, for what it tried. i thought it had its moments, it's particularly the final act that falls apart for me. likewise i wanted SM to be great but the dichotomy of safe/RUNLIKEHELLAHHHHHH areas + weird control choices kinda broke it for me.

going into this one with an open mind, as i don't know how much life the series has in it at this point anyway. I'm hoping for a good experience!

Silent Hill HD Collection. Such a fucking bummer.

god, i sold my copies of 2 & 3 confident they'd do it right like MGS and others got. still havent even played it.

That hits me hard coming from a guy named after the great Rawk Hawk.

Might have to skip Sticker Star.

this disappointed me to hear as well, but i'm still hopeful. i managed to enjoy the wii one despite some of GAF's hatred of it, thought admittedly id like to return to the greatness that was TTYD.

Joe Lee

I'm actually going to go with I Am Alive. I had been looking forward to it since it was first announced way back when, and after going through it, it just left with a resounding "meh." Not to mention it probably has one of the most abrupt endings I've ever played.

Assassin's Creed III was also a bit of a disappointment to an extent, but that might just be because I had envisioned it as a potential GOTY but it just wound up being a very good game, but nothing spectacular.

I think I'd like to revise this and say that Paper Mario: Sticker Star is up there as well. I've always loved the Paper Mario games but this game just feels really flat (no pun intended).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
so sad i missed Lollipop for $10 from the MS store...did snag Downpour though, and see...i used to actually defend Homecoming on here, for what it tried. i thought it had its moments, it's particularly the final act that falls apart for me. likewise i wanted SM to be great but the dichotomy of safe/RUNLIKEHELLAHHHHHH areas + weird control choices kinda broke it for me.

going into this one with an open mind, as i don't know how much life the series has in it at this point anyway. I'm hoping for a good experience!

Downpour has pretty darn terrible framerate at times, and the enemy design is completely bland (there are like 4 different enemies in the game), but other than that it's a fine game, and my fave post-SH3 game alongside 0rigins. The mood is suitably creepy, the optional side quests are actually pretty cool and I really like Licht's music too, as Yamaoka had been running on fumes after SH4 anyway IMO.

The 'run like hell' parts from Shattered Memories do reappear in Downpour, but they're few and far between (I'm at the Monastery, so I should be over halfway through the game, and there have been 2 chase sequences, and they're fairly short to boot).

And to be fair, Shattered Memories at least had a good story, and the psych profile mechanic was interesting. Homecoming, on the other hand, was just total garbage :p

god, i sold my copies of 2 & 3 confident they'd do it right like MGS and others got. still havent even played it.

Don't play it, it'll just ruin your memories of how good those games are (I assume you bought the 360 version, and it's actually even worse than the PS3 version, since Konami cancelled the 360 patch).

Sanctuary

Don't understand the Diablo III hate. Haven't really played it. It's not the game itself, right?

It is the game itself. People mention the auction house, but that's only part of the problem, and the game design was intentional shit on just to try to get people to pay actual money for items. It just goes to show you that it doesn't matter if it has the company logo stamped on the box if it doesn't have anyone from the team that made the first two Diablo games.

Fingers crossed for Ni No Kuni. Sure is looking great!! ^^

Looks more like an RPG for preteens. I've still had my eye on it though, because it at least looks amazing.

megalowho

ACIII for me, the one I had the highest expectations for going in. So flawed, in ways that had me wishing the team simply had more time as much as any of the questionable design decisions at play. Ending was just as unfortunate as ME3, maybe even moreso. And the fact that there's still plenty of things to like and appreciate in ACIII makes its shortcomings all the more deflating when taken as a whole. A frustratingly mediocre experience that should have been great.

DR2K

Banned
In terms of expectations ... Street Fighter X Tekken. Played it a whole lot less than I thought I was going to when it got announced.

-DLC characters set the wrong tone
-Game wasnt well balanced, too many online fights ended in time outs. Hell, usually the opponent used it as the only strategy.
-Didnt like the lighting, too stark. In SF IV it was used much better. Made playing the game a little unclear.
-Dont recall the specifics, but it seemed to launch buggy.
-Not a fan of gems and more importantly, DLC gems!

Especially after the amazing games from Capcom (MVC3 and SFIV) it was just incredibly mediocre.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I knew this was gonna be a thread about ME3 and Diablo 3. Was Diablo 3 really that bad? Sure, it most certainly had a crap ending (seems crap endings are becoming a trend in gaming) but the gameplay was really that awful? Was Torchlight II any better?

It'll be funny/sad/tragic when Half Life 3 comes out and it possibly becomes a letdown. It will probably overshadow Diablo 3 in "most disappointing game we've been waiting a long time for."

Final Fantasy XIII / Most disappointing.

I was very excited for the game, but then I started playing it and the game just fell apart. I was not a fan of the new combat style which just felt broken and confused, the story was a complete abomination that even required the need to have an entire menu dedicated to retelling it to you in text because Square forgot how to tell actually tell a story properly but even then the story was such a complete mess and it was full of a bunch annoying characters that I did not enjoy. The game just felt lost, there was no sense of freedom and everything felt incredibly repetitive. I can't remember the amount of times I fell asleep playing the game. It was just bad. I had high hopes for the game so it was an absolute disappointment to see how it ended up, in my opinion.

Diablo 3 / Very close runner-up.

The game lost the charm from the Diablo of old and instead tried too much to emulate the artistic qualities of World of Warcraft that has become the standard for all of Blizzard and made too many fundamental design changes from Diablo 2 that I felt ruined the game such as, in my opinion, a terrible Auction House that came at the detriment of loot within the game, the rune system, no skill trees and the very way the game played and many other aspects. It was just boring and I felt absolutely no urge to play it after I turned it off for the first time. I recently tried it again and got bored within about 10 minutes and fell asleep. Yeah, no more of that. Shame, because Diablo 2 was one of my favourite games ever and I still play to this day.

joesmokey

Diablo III. There's a difference in making a game challenging, yet still fun and making a game difficult for the sake of it. Inferno clearly falls in the latter category. Even though I beat Inferno pre-nerf, I had more fun farming for resplendent chests than I did enemies and all the broken affix combinations. Pretty much says it all about the game's design.

Flakster99

Without question, Diablo 3.

Repetitively and replayability speaking, it's fun factor was solely lacking, balance was all over the place (especially at the higher levels), the writing was terrible and that isn't saying much, loot was bland and had little to no pizazz, and I am NOT a fan of the auction house. A very disjointed game, and who knows how much my expectations colored my overall experience, that after 5+ months of not playing Diablo 3 and after much thought, the game was a generic loot'em up and nothing more.

Robot Pants

You know, I haven't even played the Silent Hill HD Collection but I read all about it and watched all the videos on how awful was. So my vote goes to that.
It's really a stain on the whole industry it's so bad.
Of what I've played, I'd go with ME3.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
AC3

PLayed the PS3 version because my 360 died and was too impatient to wait for the PC version.

The story was not good. The Connor stuff was fine, jut the Desmond conclusion was just weak. There were not enough cool side missions like the ones in AC2/Brotherhood. They tried something similar with the treasure quests, but they were not as cool as the big labyrinths. The AI was screwed up in NY and I kept getting chased when there was no reason. The PS3 graphics looked pretty shitty in some areas. And what the fuck was the deal with the trading?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
AC3 getting dogpiled. Gaf hyperbole at its peak. Its a great game.

And I'm very disappointed in people picking on NFS: MW. That game is spectacular

Need for Speed: Most Wanted - I thought it would be similar to the amazing original game, but it was just Burnout.

Assassin's Creed 3 - Worst cities, shitty collectables, shitty frontier area, terrible ending... I am so angry that they seemed to just fuck things up left and right with AC3.

Mass Effect 3. Bioware took one of the best franchises this gen and turned it into a steaming turd. Seems the devs sit around jacking off to Call of Duty all day and wanted to make their own version of that. Don't get me started about that ending.....

Oh and obligatory Mac "The Hack" Walters shoutout.

Sojgat

xl_Mass-Effect-3-Extended-Cut-624.jpg

It's not the worst game of the year by a long shot, but they don't come any more disappointing.

Guild Wars 2

I didn't dislike it terribly, but was just let down that the game wasn't particularly deep in any fashion. Once I got about half-way to level cap, I'd already felt like I'd seen it all, and my character's progression seemed to be stagnant. Also, the combat is fun for running around whacking random mobs with a friend or two, but an absolute joke for large group fights. It's a fine example of why while having no trinity sounds great, it makes combat utterly fall apart into an incohesive mess when you're trying to create engaging large-group content.

Seik

Banned
Diablo 3

Did it all the way to level 60, then dropped it forever, formatted my pc not so long after then never reinstalled it. Maybe one day I'll dip in again.

Sanctuary

I knew this was gonna be a thread about ME3 and Diablo 3. Was Diablo 3 really that bad? Sure, it most certainly had a crap ending (seems crap endings are becoming a trend in gaming) but the gameplay was really that awful? Was Torchlight II any better?

To me, Torchlight 2 wasn't any better at all. It just did some things better, but much was worse in others due to the size of the team and the budget. It felt way too much like the first game, but with multiplayer. I ended up playing that game for two days before deciding to jump ship to Borderlands 2--and I'm glad that I did.

But Torchlight 2 not being any better (to me), doesn't somehow negate how bad Diablo 3 was. On it's own terms it may have been an "okay" game for some, but as a Diablo game it definitely was not at all. You know, some people seem to think St. Anger was a good album too.

Mass Effect 3 certainly. Loved ME1 & 2, still have not finished ME3.
I struggled so hard to finish the game. And that's entirely sad. You shouldn't have to struggle to finish the last game of your favorite franchise.

Loaded Man

Resident Evil 6 and Mass Effect 3 for me.

RE6 because of the controls and bad camera. I haven't beaten any of the campaigns yet and do not plan to until the patch is released.

Mass Effect 3 because I found the campaign to be a little bit too short and the ending of course. At least it made me appreciate the awesomeness that was ME1. Sure the combat was clunky, but the narrative and planet exploration was far better than the sequels.

Karl2177

Mass Effect 3. The ending made the entire series' story disappointing. No longer were the Reapers a menacing, evil force. I try and play the first one, but whenever Sovereign comes up, I'm disappointed again.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

It ended up not living up to the last game in terms of all the modes and features the previous had for me, and other stuff. Still good for racing, though.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Assassins Creed 3.

The opening act is pretty great but after that the whole game falls flat on its face. The navigation is a step backward, the combat is several steps backwards, the story is dull and lifeless and none of the side activities feed back into the main game. I really don't understand how the ball was dropped so hard.

Son1x

Diablo III
I guess I just expected something better from a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time.

As for Mass Effect 3, I played it a little after the release so I went it expecting a good game with a crappy ending and thats exactly what I got.

Risen 2.
Worse than its predecessor in every way except for graphics and setting.
It's still an enjoyable game though, and will likely end up in my top 10 games of the year because I haven't even bought 10 games from this year.

Zia

About to lose my mind. Xenoblade is the best game released stateside this year. In fact, it's the best game I've played in 30 years.

There's "it's a shitty game" and then there's "it's not for me". Xenoblade is neither.

My picks:

-halo 4
-guild wars 2
-gravity daze/rush
-rhythm thief
-pandora's tower

No, I'd agree, it's just not very good. Thank goodness Ni No Kuni is coming soon.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Too much ME3 hate in this thread. Multiplayer is a blast, it became a good shooter instead of a mediocre one, galactic readiness was less contrived than loyalty missions and the game managed the wrap up some story threads nicely.

So far nothing has really disappointed me that much. The most would be Journey, just because I thought making it more gamey didn't make the experience better from Flower.

Haliela

Dishonored.

That game was hyped like the 2nd coming. I played it and was bored after the first mission promptly selling it. No one even talks about it anymore at all.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Gaiden 3. It's not bad, but man, what a disappointment after NG2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, another knock on Darksiders 2. Playing both that and MGR and DMC demo on the 'default' difficulty. It takes SO long to kill something in Darksiders 2 compared to the other two. In the first Darksiders you plowed through mobs, but they threw a ton at you. In this one, they just take SO many hits to die. It's so not fun, and it just feels like the developers going 'yeah we worked real hard on our screen tearing combos. you're gonna see all the animations!'

like the dice roll with your stats scales real poorly for offensive reasons.

Vol5

Ghost recon future soldier. Woeful sp, shitty looking with a total lack of inspiration. Hated it. Plus the 3D feature was plain broke on ps3. Shouldn't have got passed testing.

Top Bottom