• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
I am not keen in many of the Japanese dramas as tonnes of them has been a disappointment with either crap acting (putting looks/slutty/school-girl-cutey attire over acting skills) or just a dire story. However, my all time favourites are:

Hanzawa Naoki (frigging awesome. It's the Kaiji anime of TV dramas)
Hanzawa-Naoki_9262_poster.jpg

and

Saki
Saki-p1.jpg

Notable mentions are:

Gokusen (Series 1, 2 and 3)
d58bf38037ab7561967488c9239a276b.jpg

Kuroyuri danchi
51%2B3xCCu7KL._SY300_.jpg

Shomuni (Season 1 & 2 only, forget season 3)
shomuni.jpg

I watch a few others now and again on Abema TV and on normal TV when I have time.

Ryuukan

after a long drought from Persona 5, I finally finished another show

Kaito Yamaneko: This one is kinda weird. Its a mix of typical johnnies goofiness, crime drama and an odd perspective since it centers around the criminal and not the cops. Its a pretty upbeat show even with
all the murders and depressing ending
. I would recommend this more to people who don't like super serious cop/detective shows. 👍🏻👍🏻

I am not keen in many of the Japanese dramas as tonnes of them has been a disappointment with either crap acting (putting looks/slutty/school-girl-cutey attire over acting skills) or just a dire story.

Sorry to hear that, but judging from your recs, it sounds like you're just stuck between being jaded and feeding off of nostalgia. There's been some real quality shows in the past few years but you'll never find them if you don't want to look.

ZoddGutts

Really enjoyed Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (We Married as Job). Apparently was well regarded in Japan. Stars Yui Aragaki (Legal High) and Gen Hoshino (Why Don't You Play in Hell?). It's an odd romance slight comedy series, the first ep got me hooked, enjoyed it from beginning to end. Has several references to other program because the female lead tends to day dream, if you've seen NHK World you might recognize a few of them.

http://asianwiki.com/We_Married_as_Job

Kurita

Really enjoyed Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (We Married as Job). Apparently was well regarded in Japan. Stars Yui Aragaki (Legal High) and Gen Hoshino (Why Don't You Play in Hell?). It's an odd romance slight comedy series, the first ep got me hooked, enjoyed it from beginning to end. Has several references to other program because the female lead tends to day dream, if you've seen NHK World you might recognize a few of them.

http://asianwiki.com/We_Married_as_Job

Yup it was a hit thanks to word to mouth and the theme song/dance. Talked about the latest episode with my friends every week during lunch break lol

shas'la

Hey guys, i just started watching "dear sister", its got a fun cast and is pretty light so worth a watch if you've got some space in your schedule!

Its got the gorgeous Satomi Ishihara <3

27-year-old Fukazawa Misaki and 29-year-old Hazuki are sisters who are polar opposites in both lifestyle and personality. Although they would hurt each other's feelings, they would also make up for each other’s deficiencies. The beautiful Misaki is the typical younger sister who is good at putting on the little girl act. She did not fare well academically but knows how to swim with the tide. After graduating from high school, she left home and went missing. But one day, she suddenly moves into Hazuki's apartment and behaves with wild abandon. However, Misaki has a secret which she keeps to herself... Hazuki works at a ward office and has set her sights on an early marriage to her boyfriend who works in the same office. She is the well-organised, fastidious chairperson type, but is a wee bit socially awkward. Hazuki feels that Misaki snatched all their mother's love in childhood. What will happen now that Misaki has moved in with her? Hazuki actually has a secret which she cannot tell Misaki too. As these two sisters clash while living under the same roof, their values start to change little by little

upload photograph

temporary image host

Ryuukan

What have been the best dramas of the last few seasons?

Tokyo Tarareba Musume and Quartet from last season

speaking of which

Quartet: A wonderful show about four people living together to perform as a quartet, each with their own demons they're battling. Another masterpiece from the supreme god of jdrama, Yuji Sakamoto, with a cast that clicks so well together. I hope this show propels Issei Takahashi into larger roles. Best performance since Woman for Hikari Mitsushima. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Itazurana Kiss: Love in Tokyo

This was so much fun to watch. Never seen any other version, but I really loved the cast here. Honoka Miki as the main character convincingly plays the growth she undergoes as the story progresses. Major props goes to Irie's mother, who manages to be irresistibly lovable and insane. Very delightful character. It's a very predictable show, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's still very much enjoyable.

Shout out to the wardrobe and costume, for doing a great job of selling the passage of time with the characters. The hairstyles and outfit of Kotoko change throughout the show in a way that made me believe that she is really growing up and getting more mature. It's quite subtle, but it really stood out to me when they use flashbacks.

Small nitpick: the director definitely should have filmed more angles and used more takes for the dialogue scenes, because the trick of filming everything in one master shot kinda slows the pace of the show. If they could have used more angles to cut to, the flow of dialogue scenes could have felt more natural.

Ryuukan

Some more shows watched:

Mamagoto: About a bar owner with a tragic past who is suddenly left with a friend's son to care for. There were a few things I didn't care for with this show. I felt the "flashback" scenes were poorly done/half-assed and limited the emotional impact of them. Also, it was very strange seeing a family
take in a woman and the kid she's watching when they barely know each other.
If you're looking for emotional shows with children involved, this shouldn't be too high on your list. &#128077;&#127995;

Gekokujo Juken: A couple who are both middle school grads where the dad sets up his own cram school at home with his daughter to get her into the best middle school. This show has some major highs and lows since the dad can seem like a dick at times but he really does want a better life for his daughter. The culture shock is heavy as well as the idea of a 10 year old staying up past midnight for studying during a school night is pretty crazy to a westerner. Kyoko Fukuda is lovely as always and helps balance out how much of a jerk the dad can be at times. Definitely recommended &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Totsuzen Desu ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu: This one started off kinda slow and boring, about a woman who wants to get married as soon as possible and become a housewife and the man who she's interested in likes her but doesn't ever want to get married. The meddling of the supporting characters is what keeps it interesting until the very cliche ending. There are far better romantic comedies out there but this one is certainly not the worst of them. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

This was so much fun to watch. Never seen any other version, but I really loved the cast here. Honoka Miki as the main character convincingly plays the growth she undergoes as the story progresses. Major props goes to Irie's mother, who manages to be irresistibly lovable and insane. Very delightful character. It's a very predictable show, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's still very much enjoyable.

Shout out to the wardrobe and costume, for doing a great job of selling the passage of time with the characters. The hairstyles and outfit of Kotoko change throughout the show in a way that made me believe that she is really growing up and getting more mature. It's quite subtle, but it really stood out to me when they use flashbacks.

Small nitpick: the director definitely should have filmed more angles and used more takes for the dialogue scenes, because the trick of filming everything in one master shot kinda slows the pace of the show. If they could have used more angles to cut to, the flow of dialogue scenes could have felt more natural.

Great show since its rare to see romance dramas that keep going past the beginning of the relationship. The amount of emotional abuse and distrust that goes on tho, lol...

Ryuukan

caught up on more backlog over the holiday

99.9: An unusual comedy about murder cases, matsujun was just right in this. Great balance of goofiness and overconfidence of his attorney character. Teruyuki Kagawa (who was superb in Hanzawa Naoki) is a perfect foil to him. Nana Eikura's pro wrestling fan character was enjoyable as well. The only downer was a very lowkey overarching plot that they barely touched on. Its mostly a monster of the week style show. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Zeni no Sensou: An intense thriller about a well off goldman sachs type guy who tries to save his parent's small company that was in heavy debt and ends up losing everything in the process. His quest to save the company reveals a lot more than just a failed business. I stayed up way too late binge watching this to see where things went. Great cast and some pretty rough moments for the main character
(the college friend telling him to eat his vomit for a loan, terrible)
The story is summed up quite well and I was
very pleased with the outcome
. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

I forget who mentioned it in this thread, but just wanted to say thanks for mentioning Kuroi 10-nin no Onna. Me and a friend are halfway through the series and while I was a bit unsure of it at the start, it's quickly become a favourite.

Ryuukan

I forget who mentioned it in this thread, but just wanted to say thanks for mentioning Kuroi 10-nin no Onna. Me and a friend are halfway through the series and while I was a bit unsure of it at the start, it's quickly become a favourite.

my pleasure &#128077;&#127995;

Ryuukan

Some more 2017 dramas, then going to the backlog after these

Uso no Sensou: Another thriller with the SMAP dude, this time instead of money, its centered around a murder coverup. As a kid, he was coerced into confessing that his father killed his family then himself, from there he became a career con-artist. A chance encounter with one of the real perpetrators begins this story of revenge. Again this was a show I couldn't stop watching once I started it. Fewer twists and turns compared to Zeni no Sensou, but more focused on revenge throughout. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Hito wa Mitame ga 100%: More Mirei Kiritani in her usual ugly duckling/clumsy girl role. This one is about 3 women who are devoted to their jobs in research who get transferred to a division of a makeup company. They are warned that "It's all about the looks" at the company and feel they have no femininity, so they proceed to research what it takes to be beautiful. The show seems very shallow at first but it does develop into sending a decent message
self-confidence is whats most important.
Overarching plot was kinda weak, but they didn't go for a cliche ending at least. Entertaining but ultimately forgettable. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

I've been looking for a Japanese drama OT on Gaf, and I guess this is it?

Looks like there aren't that many J-drama fans here though, unfortunately. J-drama is like my last bastion for mature slice of life romance as it's been declining in anime & manga space (as most of them are plagued with ecchi garbage nowadays). I've watched most notable drama out there, and I've just finished watching Boku, Unmei no Hito desu. It was so sweet and amazing I highly recommend it.

blakep267

I've been looking for a Japanese drama OT on Gaf, and I guess this is it?

Looks like there aren't that many J-drama fans here though, unfortunately. J-drama is like my last bastion for mature slice of life romance as it's been declining in anime & manga space (as most of them are plagued with ecchi garbage nowadays). I've watched most notable drama out there, and I've just finished watching Boku, Unmei no Hito desu. It was so sweet and amazing I highly recommend it.
It's just hard imo to find new stuff. kdramas and Taiwanese dramas get subbed same day but the same can't be said for Jdramas. It took me months to finish Virtual detective Tabito

Anyway I finished Boku also. It's solid but coming off of "We married as a job", it just seemed a bit lacking for me. The leads just weren't as charming in comparison , and I found the "God" character to be super annoying. It's one of those cases of a "cool" acting character in Japan doesn't remotely translate well outside of the culture

To be honest, the whole world ending/ God angle wasn't even necessary. You could've just had the MC be a determined guy and not only find love because God told him to

I worked on the French Netflix subtitles for a few episodes of seasons 1 and 2. I didn't think it was great, but the actress did a really good job.

KtSlime

Any recommendations on this summer's dramas (comedy/romance)? Finished "Hito ha Mitame ga 100%" a few weeks ago, in winter I had watched "Totuzen Desu ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu", currently watching "Hiyokko", and looking for something new.

It's just hard imo to find new stuff. kdramas and Taiwanese dramas get subbed same day but the same can't be said for Jdramas. It took me months to finish Virtual detective Tabito

Anyway I finished Boku also. It's solid but coming off of "We married as a job", it just seemed a bit lacking for me. The leads just weren't as charming in comparison , and I found the "God" character to be super annoying. It's one of those cases of a "cool" acting character in Japan doesn't remotely translate well outside of the culture

To be honest, the whole world ending/ God angle wasn't even necessary. You could've just had the MC be a determined guy and not only find love because God told him to

Yeah, Japanese drama's popularity has certainly not in a good shape since the last decade or so. People are mostly investing in Korean nowadays, though I don't really like them as they're more dialogue intensive compared to Japanese. Such unfortunate situation for me, tbh.

Right, I've also watched 'We Married as a Job' earlier this year and it's still my favorite drama so far. Though I still find Boku entertaining in a different way. I love the relationship development of the characters surrounding both main characters. Yamappi is indeed a bit annoying at first, but after I found out his reasons, I somewhat understand him. It's similar to Satomi's role in 'Dear Sister' (another worth watching!).

Anyway, Boku drama exposed me to Kimura Fumino, such a charming actress. It seems that she's a late bloomer as she didn't get to play that many main roles in her career. Or maybe it's just me that's been missing out. I'm gonna try watching her other dramas such as 'War of Money' and 'Mother Game' later.

KtSlime

Yikes, "Nigeru ha Haji da ga, Yaku ni Tatu" is such a more charming name. It was definitely my favorite of 2016.

As to K-Dramas, even Japanese broadcast and streaming services have a lot of them. I like many of them, but I really have to focus on reading to get through them.

Ryuukan

good to see more jdrama fans are alive here

more shows Ive watched recently

Kazoku no Katachi: Heart-warming show about a self-centered loner who learns what "family" really means. There's a romcom underneath here, but it's honestly secondary to the unusual family dynamic that develops. If you need a break from crime/suspense dramas, its a must watch with a superb cast &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Kari Kare: Nice to see Saki Aibu in a lead role. Short romcom about an overachieving career woman who isn't exactly honest with herself about her goals. Extremely predictable but still entertaining for fans of the genre &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Boku, Unmei no Hito desu: The romcom boss of this past season was what I would expect from a johnnies show. Kame did a wonderful job of portraying an awkward young salaryman and Yamapi was in his usual aloof manner. Fumino (who's in like 100 shows this year) was also great at being mildly repulsed by the odd ramblings about destiny. Supporting cast was top-notch as well. My only gripe was the twist of how
he's actually their son, they should've kept it simple as him being god.
&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

its pretty common for johnnies performers to act like manchildren in shows because it appeals to their fans. see Kaito Yamaneko or Sekai Ichi Muzukashii Koi for over the top examples

Kazoku no Katachi: Heart-warming show about a self-centered loner who learns what "family" really means. There's a romcom underneath here, but it's honestly secondary to the unusual family dynamic that develops. If you need a break from crime/suspense dramas, its a must watch with a superb cast

Agree completely :) Shingo Katori nails it as the protag, but for me it's Toshiyuki Nishida that steals the show. To be fair though I'm a bit biased, I love that guy. If you've seen any of his presenter work on shows like Knight Scoop then it becomes impossible not to see him as an extended part of the family :3

Ryuukan

my latest viewings

Sanbiki no Ossan 1-3: A fun trilogy (hopefully more to come) of 3 middle-aged men who have been friends since childhood that decide to form a neighborhood vigilante group. The concept is a basic crime drama with a monster of the week progression but that's not what makes the show so endearing. The neighborhood feels like its growing as you watch the show. Various shop owners and townspeople return for later episodes. There is also a side romance plot of the younger generation that moves along at an extremely modest and glacial pace.
dating for a year but haven't kiss yet lol ok
It's a nice change to see a show centered around old folks, especially in an over the top manner. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Soshite, Dare mo Inaku Natta: Watched this on a recommendation of a fellow gaffer and kinda wish I didn't. (sorry max &#128542;)
Show is about essentially the greatest computer programmer/engineer/hacker/etc ever who develops backdoor software that would make the NSA blush. One day his entire identity is stolen and he seemingly has no way to prove who he really is.
The story flow is a complete mess and felt like I was playing a bad visual novel. The show gives almost no background to many characters
and kills them soon after
The main character is so easily manipulated by literally everyone on the show which is startling given how much of a super genius he is supposed to be. Essentially the show's extreme focus on keeping the viewer in the dark completely until the very end was the most damaging thing to me, it made the ending feel very shallow and the MC an even bigger tool than he already was.
Fumi Nikaido was the only reason I kept watching but her role is so small and insignificant that I would still pass on this as a fan of hers. &#128078;&#127995;

If you're looking for recent godly quality suspense thrillers watch Boku no Yabai Tsuma or Uso no Sensou

I finished Virtual Detective Tabito Higurashi last night - it's not without its problems but it's a very fun show. Couldn't help but wonder what an Ace Attorney-esque game would be like to play...

Thirsty for more, but it doesn't look like the specials are subbed... if they're even out yet?

Not sure what to watch next, but I like the look of Hanzawa Naoki so maybe that!

Ryuukan

I finished Virtual Detective Tabito Higurashi last night - it's not without its problems but it's a very fun show. Couldn't help but wonder what an Ace Attorney-esque game would be like to play...

Thirsty for more, but it doesn't look like the specials are subbed... if they're even out yet?

Not sure what to watch next, but I like the look of Hanzawa Naoki so maybe that!

There's only 1 SP that I know of and it aired before the series in 2015. Its on my list to watch eventually. You won't go wrong with Hanzawa Naoki.

Frankenstein no Koi: A modern fantasy show plus Fumi Nikaido, I couldn't resist. This show is a super weird take on Frankenstein that involves fungus, lots of it. If you can get past the mushroom goofiness, its entertaining. The ending was somewhat predictable but could've been better.
He should've turned her into a frankenstein too.
&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

There's only 1 SP that I know of and it aired before the series in 2015. Its on my list to watch eventually. You won't go wrong with Hanzawa Naoki.

Yeah, there's a SP that serves as a bit of an episode 0 with some minor cases in it, but there's apparently 3 more episodes that are on/are coming to Hulu? No news is probably good news in this case, hopefully it gets picked up :)

I actually just finished Hanzawa Naoki - loved it! That show was right up my alley, and now I guess I'm waiting with everyone else to see if a season two happens this year, or ever.

Hunting around for a new show and was considering 99.9 but can't seem to find everything I need there. Anything currently airing or from last season that's worth a watch?

Ryuukan

Yeah, there's a SP that serves as a bit of an episode 0 with some minor cases in it, but there's apparently 3 more episodes that are on/are coming to Hulu? No news is probably good news in this case, hopefully it gets picked up :)

I actually just finished Hanzawa Naoki - loved it! That show was right up my alley, and now I guess I'm waiting with everyone else to see if a season two happens this year, or ever.

Hunting around for a new show and was considering 99.9 but can't seem to find everything I need there. Anything currently airing or from last season that's worth a watch?

Did you watch Quartet and Tokyo Tarareba Girls?

Did you watch Quartet and Tokyo Tarareba Girls?

Not yet, but I'll add them to the list :) I did see your thread about Million Yen Women though, and I tore through half of that last night. It has me hooked!

Can anyone recommend some shit that is as good as &#23567;&#12373;&#12394;&#24040;&#20154; Chiisana Kyojin
Please!!

Haven't seen Chiisana Kyojin but the premise does seem kinda similar to Hanzawa Naoki, if you've not seen that?

maxcriden

Sent you a PM about 99.9.

BTW, if you are new to Jdramas, there are a zillion shows to check out and wouldn't necessarily limit yourself at all to current series (I see you're not since you're watching previous dramas like Hanzawa, but just thought it worth mentioning how amazing a back catalog jdramas have for new viewers ^^). Haven't seen anything from this season yet but liked Boku Unmei no Hito pretty well last season. Lots I have my eye on this season, though. Most or all shows are still airing though so I'm waiting for subs. Akira to Akira is a current show based on another novel by the Hanzawa author.

And, do you have a link to the Hulu info regarding additional Hanzawa eps? Last I heard there was no news on a second season for a couple years. Hiroshi Abe (who started in two of my faves, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko mentioned in the OP (second drama I ever watched) and At Home Dad, which is supremely under-appreciated) was attached or rumored to star in a second season (as Hanzawa), but since he ended up in Shitamachi Rocket (another drama based on a novel by the Hanzawa author), I wasn't sure if it'd still happen. But Hanzawa did incredibly well in the ratings so I imagine there will be something eventually. (I liked Hanzawa a lot, BTW - tried Shitamachi Rocket and couldn't get into it but I've heard good things so I'll give it another shot sometime. All the dramas based on Naoki's novels are listed here, if you're interested.)

Edit: found this regarding HN S2 but not sure how reliable it is:

Rumor – Hanzawa Naoki 2
Date: 9 pm, Sunday
Station: TBS
Cast: Sakai Masato, Ueto Aya
Since the series ended, there’s a clamor for a sequel to this mega hit 2013 drama which scored an average rating of 28.7% and a final episode rating of 42.2%. When lead actor Sakai Masato is committed to the 2016 taiga drama “Sanada Maru”, there were rumors of Abe Hiroshi taking over the sequel. But looks like the rumors of Season 2 are back with the original cast.
After “Hanzawa Naoki”, Sakai had appeared in “Legal High Season 2”, “Dr. Rintaro” and “Sanada Maru”. Since the taiga drama has finished, it is reported that preparation for the production of the sequel to “Hanzawa Naoki” is in place.

http://aramajapan.com/news/tvmovie/...-2017-hanzawa-naoki-sequel-code-blue-3/70366/

I am not keen in many of the Japanese dramas as tonnes of them has been a disappointment with either crap acting (putting looks/slutty/school-girl-cutey attire over acting skills) or just a dire story. However, my all time favourites are:

Hanzawa Naoki (frigging awesome. It's the Kaiji anime of TV dramas)
Hanzawa-Naoki_9262_poster.jpg

Ill second this!

Thanks for the PM Max :) Appreciate it!

Yeah, I'm not super-new to j-drama, but I also don't really consider myself as clued in on it as I am with anime. I was more curious about shows that are currently airing to see what it's like keeping up with a show on a weekly-or-more basis, as the drama I've seen so far (with the exception of Yoshihiko S3) are already subbed in their entirety.

Perhaps Akira to Akira then :) I'll look it up once I'm out of work (lol).

And, do you have a link to the Hulu info regarding additional Hanzawa eps?

Ah sorry, the Hulu info was for SP episodes of Virtual Detective Tabito Higurashi. Sorry for being confusing!

maxcriden

Thanks for the PM Max :) Appreciate it!

Yeah, I'm not super-new to j-drama, but I also don't really consider myself as clued in on it as I am with anime. I was more curious about shows that are currently airing to see what it's like keeping up with a show on a weekly-or-more basis, as the drama I've seen so far (with the exception of Yoshihiko S3) are already subbed in their entirety.

Perhaps Akira to Akira then :) I'll look it up once I'm out of work (lol).

Ah sorry, the Hulu info was for SP episodes of Virtual Detective Tabito Higurashi. Sorry for being confusing!

No prob! Sorry I misunderstood. I want to see Virtual Detective, the original movie and current series. Any good?

It's tough with the subs sometimes for keeping up with things on a weekly basis, because you never know when a subber is going to get busy with other things. But d-addicts gives a good sense of what's currently airing (often hard to find impressions of many current (and recent past) shows but some blogs offer pretty current impressions) and you can see some of the subbers on there like HPriest and candylemon keep very up to date and quick to post on their subs. I like watching shows when they've finished airing so I just totally didn't even think of that motivation, my apologies - and also for thinking you were a newbie to dramas :)

ok Hanzawa up next

chisana Kyojin is fucking so dope

I hadn't seen impressions of Chisana Kyojin, so I'm glad to hear it is so enjoyable. I want to check it out. Hasegawa was great, as was Watanabe Anne, in Date. Really unusual and fun show. Still need to watch the SP.

afroguy10

This is really interesting, I hadn't really thought about the idea of Japanese dramas or soap operas.

Is there anything in Japan similar to Coronation Street or Eastenders in the UK, a soap opera that airs a couple of episodes a week and has been running for years or possibly even multiple decades?

Kurita

This is really interesting, I hadn't really thought about the idea of Japanese dramas or soap operas.

Is there anything in Japan similar to Coronation Street or Eastenders in the UK, a soap opera that airs a couple of episodes a week and has been running for years or possibly even multiple decades?

Not really (or not to my knowledge at least). The closest thing would be "Asadora", dramas that air every morning during one year on NHK. Once it's done, another takes it spot.
Aside from that, Japanese dramas tend to have a single season of 10 to 12 episodes (popular shows might get more seasons or a longer special episode after).

Started watching Shimokitazawa Die Hard (no idea if there's English subs out there), fun drama about absurd stories taking place in Shimokitazawa (each episode is a different story with a different screenwriter).

Resilient

finished Chiisana Kyojin, it was a ride from start to finish. really really good acting from the whole cast. Hasegawa was a great lead but Okada totally stole it for me. this was my first time watching something with Kagawa Teruyuki, he was really intense the whole way through. so damn good! looking forward to watching more of him.

finished Chiisana Kyojin, it was a ride from start to finish. really really good acting from the whole cast. Hasegawa was a great lead but Okada totally stole it for me. this was my first time watching something with Kagawa Teruyuki, he was really intense the whole way through. so damn good! looking forward to watching more of him.

Teruyuki is one of my favourite Japanese actors :) He plays some great characters, but personal favourites are his roles in Kaiji/Kaiji 2, as well as in Hanzawa Naoki. Currently watching 99.9 (few episodes from the end) and it's great seeing him play a good guy for a change!

Ryuukan

more backlog

Super Salaryman Saenai: A salaryman with a family that bullies the crap out of him gets offered a suit that turns him into a superman. This show was absolutely hilarious. His co-workers, his family, the detective who keeps taking credit for him saving the day, I couldn't stop laughing for most of this show. Im usually not a manzai fan but holy shit the scenes with Jiro Sato and the mc, you can see them trying hard not to bust out laughing, its great. Don't expect a deep heartwarming story in the end, its a comedy through and through. &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Kasuka na Kanojo: I watched this because I liked Shingo Katori in Kazoku no Katachi and Maika Yamamoto is great. Its a by-the-book formulaic teacher drama with the addition of a ghost lady who needs closure on things before moving on. If you've watched GTO or any shows like it, you'll basically know what happens every episode. I thought Anne was a little too over the top cutesy most of the time. I enjoyed it though it was nothing special &#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

I've been watching One Million Yen Women on Netflix. I heard of harem anime before and I feel like this what one would feel like.
Three of these girls seem to want him and it looks like a fourth.
It's live-action. I'm kind of hooked to it. It started out just okay, but I'm really in it now. There's a mystery element to this and I have to see through to the end. Who invited these five women, who's sending him those insulting faxes every day, and what will become of his career?

The ending of episode 7 was WHOO!
When that one girl said she knew who sent out the invites and it was someone he knew, my suspicion was directly on Nanaka after she showed up at the writer's conference and got the judges to read his new book. I was positive when she took him out on the date too and broke the rules. Now that she's dead. It can't be her. That death was something too. Shocking and sad especially since she had an epiphany reading his book and made Shin promise to cast her in the leading role if Drifting Emotions gets adapted into a film.

Rahk

Recently finished Nigeru, only watched it for the Koi Dance.
A little too happy so I went on to watch HOPE (Japanese version of Misaeng) and it was still just as amazing. And then I currently am back to Korean dramas.
Old quote, but just saw this at the top of the page.

Misaeng was amazing. How does HOPE compare?

I haven't watched any J-Dramas in a long time because it's hard to find ones that aren't cheesy with bad acting.

maxcriden

I haven't watched any J-Dramas in a long time because it's hard to find ones that aren't cheesy with bad acting.

I haven't seen HOPE yet, but if you try just about anything recent scripted by Sakamoto, you will find far from bad acting.

Ryuukan

I've been watching One Million Yen Women on Netflix. I heard of harem anime before and I feel like this what one would feel like.
Three of these girls seem to want him and it looks like a fourth.
It's live-action. I'm kind of hooked to it. It started out just okay, but I'm really in it now. There's a mystery element to this and I have to see through to the end. Who invited these five women, who's sending him those insulting faxes every day, and what will become of his career?

The ending of episode 7 was WHOO!
When that one girl said she knew who sent out the invites and it was someone he knew, my suspicion was directly on Nanaka after she showed up at the writer's conference and got the judges to read his new book. I was positive when she took him out on the date too and broke the rules. Now that she's dead. It can't be her. That death was something too. Shocking and sad especially since she had an epiphany reading his book and made Shin promise to cast her in the leading role if Drifting Emotions gets adapted into a film.

it only gets better imo, I made a thread for the show
I love how it comes off as an awkward guy in a harem setting
then gets much darker

I enjoyed Hope but I never watched Misaeng.

I haven't seen HOPE yet, but if you try just about anything recent scripted by Sakamoto, you will find far from bad acting.

listen to this man

saying things like 'all jdrama is cheesy with bad acting' is no different than 'all anime is moe' or 'video games are for kids'

broaden your horizons

it only gets better imo, I made a thread for the show
I love how it comes off as an awkward guy in a harem setting
then gets much darker

Thanks I was looking for the thread, but couldn't find it I guess because I put One in the search engine. Neogaf's search engine is finnicky as fuck. In this show. The girl who eats dinner naked is that chick from The Wolverine right?

Just finished 99.9, absolutely loved it! I didn't realise until looking up details of season two that the protag was an Arashi member. It's probably just the shows I've been watching, but it feels like every other drama has some boy band member at the helm. Not complaining of course - this, Freeter and Yamaneko are all shows I've really enjoyed.

Time to continue with Gin to Kin, I think.

maxcriden

Just finished 99.9, absolutely loved it! I didn't realise until looking up details of season two that the protag was an Arashi member. It's probably just the shows I've been watching, but it feels like every other drama has some boy band member at the helm. Not complaining of course - this, Freeter and Yamaneko are all shows I've really enjoyed.

Time to continue with Gin to Kin, I think.

Interested to hear how Gin to Kin is. As to Arashi, I think I mentioned it before, but I first saw Jun Matsumoto in Kimi wa Petto. If you have any interest in offbeat romance, definitely consider that one at some point. Great performances by him and Koyuki.

-

Almost done with Kazoku no Katachi. Great show, reminds me very much of a modern Kekkon Dekinai Otoko. Also watching Zeni no Sensou - b/c I wanted to see Uso but couldn't find subs (which I've since found thanks to the fansub map). Anyway, Zeni is good. Makes me want to see Tsuyoshi in Boku no Aruku Michi - which is about autism, I think, and is from the writer of Freeter.

Ryuukan

Interested to hear how Gin to Kin is.

I enjoyed it, though the ending felt very manga-ish
'I'm gonna beat you someday and surpass you etc'

also watched

Haha ni Naru: Very interesting premise of a boy that gets kidnapped at 3 and is reunited with his parents 9 years later. Most of the drama is between his birth mother and the woman who he was with for most of those years. I enjoyed this show but it has its share of faults. I will go into them below though it will be a bit spoilery.

One major problem is the "small world" of how Asado is an acquaintance of someone the family knows and later on the entire contrived plot between the reporter/bad mom and Kino. The other major issue was the show avoiding the entire backstory of how Asado ended up in prison. I felt this was a cheap attempt to limit the amount of empathy the viewer would have for her. Asado losing her job at the end and not mentioning it to Yui seemed like it was trying to make up for that but it seemed a bit rushed/unnecessary.

All in all, there is a great supporting cast and I am happy they did not go for a cheesy all smiles ending
'yay I have 2 moms now' would've been too hokey

&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;&#128077;&#127995;

Resilient

just finished &#31361;&#28982;&#12391;&#12377;&#12364;&#12289;&#26126;&#26085;&#32080;&#23130;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377; Totsuzen Desu Ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu.

it was OK, pretty frustrating, I got surprisingly hooked by it, last few episodes definitely tugged on my heart strings. Anything else out there better than that? I don't really touch romance Dramas but I'd be keen to check something else out that was similar, provided it's good of course!

KtSlime

just finished &#31361;&#28982;&#12391;&#12377;&#12364;&#12289;&#26126;&#26085;&#32080;&#23130;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377; Totsuzen Desu Ga, Ashita Kekkon Shimasu.

it was OK, pretty frustrating, I got surprisingly hooked by it, last few episodes definitely tugged on my heart strings. Anything else out there better than that? I don't really touch romance Dramas but I'd be keen to check something else out that was similar, provided it's good of course!

If you don't watch many romance dramas perhaps you haven't seen &#12356;&#12388;&#12363;&#12371;&#12398;&#24651;&#12434;&#24605;&#12356;&#20986;&#12375;&#12390;&#12365;&#12387;&#12392;&#27875;&#12356;&#12390;&#12375;&#12414;&#12358;&#12290;It's a real tear-jerker.

Ryuukan

If you don't watch many romance dramas perhaps you haven't seen &#12356;&#12388;&#12363;&#12371;&#12398;&#24651;&#12434;&#24605;&#12356;&#20986;&#12375;&#12390;&#12365;&#12387;&#12392;&#27875;&#12356;&#12390;&#12375;&#12414;&#12358;&#12290;It's a real tear-jerker.

agree with above plus the following, in no particular order:

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu
Dear Sister
Suki na Hito ga Iru Koto (very cliche, cute and sappy)
Boku, Unmei no Hito desu
Tokyo Tarareba Musume
Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom