• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

I'm feeling really nostalgic for Jdrama lately. My favorites were Nodame Cantabile (watched at least fifteen times), Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Orange Days, this one about a bartender who would solve people's problems, and a really huge crush I had on Aya Ueto. What's good as of late?
Yutori Desu ga Nani ka might be the drama of the year for me. Hilarious, touching, love it love it love it.
You can check out Legal High, Saikou no Rikon and Mondai no Aru Restaurant too
If you want very low-brow humor then Minna Esper Dayo is a riot

maxcriden

Low brow humor sounds perfect right now. Thanks.

We have super similar tastes in favorite J-dramas so I just want to mention Osozaki no Himawari if you haven't seen it. Super terrific show. And since you like Aya Ueto, Attention Please still holds up excellently despite it being 10 years old, and the recent I'm Home was greatly compelling and unusual, just the way I like my J-dramas, and featured her and primarily Kimutaku. Then she also has a supporting role in another fave, My Little Chef, which has her and Abe in supporting roles and Yada Akiko in the lead. And speaking of Yada Akiko, Last Christmas is another fave and is written by Yuji Sakamoto, who also wrote Saikou no Rikon and Mondai no Aru Restaurant that Kurita mentioned above, as well as the sublime Mother and very compelling Woman. Mother is another all-time fave, but that and Woman are very heavy.

Lately I've been watching Boku no Yabai Tsuma, which has had me on the edge on my seat. Dang, it's good. It's super addictive. I'm 3 episodes in. I'm watching one episode per day when exercising (well, took me a couple days to watch the 1.5 hr pilot) and finding it endlessly compelling. It's a thriller.

002243.jpg

Dude in the middle owns a coffee shop started with money from money his wife (next to him) came in to when her parents died. He's become embittered with her as she tries to take patient and careful care of their home and life, and is sleeping with the chef (over on the right). He tries to get a significant loan from her to keep the shop afloat. It doesn't seem doable to her. His mistress decides they should just kill her instead. She uses her culinary knowledge to make a poison. He takes it home with plans to kill her, but when he arrives home, there's a bloodstain on the floor and a ransom note....

The show is ridiculously well-paced so far, the acting is super on point from all involved, and the twists and turns the story takes are excellently well done.

Kurita

Finished S2 of Legal High

S3 someday pls

Sorry I totally forgot about your DM on Twitter!

Glad you enjoyed the show. S2 was a bit weird but I really enjoyed it, and I discovered Okada Masaki thanks to it so yaaaay.
The first shot of this season premiere is quite meta, cause it's a parody of the opening of Hanzawa Naoki, where Sakai plays the hero. I thought that was hilarious.

Aiii

So not worth it
After watching GTO 2012 and now Tantei no Tantei, is it bad I want to exclusively watch dramas starring Haruna Kawaguchi now?

maxcriden

After watching GTO 2012 and now Tantei no Tantei, is it bad I want to exclusively watch dramas starring Haruna Kawaguchi now?

If you watch the Cinderella show she's in right now, please report back with your impressions. Got my eye on that one. :)

Ryuukan

Sorry I totally forgot about your DM on Twitter!

Glad you enjoyed the show. S2 was a bit weird but I really enjoyed it, and I discovered Okada Masaki thanks to it so yaaaay.
The first shot of this season premiere is quite meta, cause it's a parody of the opening of Hanzawa Naoki, where Sakai plays the hero. I thought that was hilarious.

lol its ok
I want to watch Fuben na Benriya that he's in also

She's so different in Ouran Host club, watch Otto no Kanojo too if you are a true fan like me

Rainy

Banned
Is a new drama season about to start? If so, what was good last season (or what's good that's currently airing?)

Ryuukan

Watched Furenaba Ochin, a steamy tale of a middle-aged love affair with a younger man

that was fucking ruined in the last minute post credits, wtf director, really, wtf

Rainy

Banned
Just watched the first episode of Aragaki Yui and Hoshino Gen's new drama Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu.

It's an interesting concept with that marriage contract...anyway it was pretty good. Looking forward to whenever subs for the 2nd episode come out.

Also "Koi" is so catchy!

maxcriden

Wow, I really loved Ouroboros. I was enjoying it solidly throughout but the ending really snuck up on me. I cried like a baby during the very end. Really wonderful show.

I find a show like Ouroboros is the best kind of drama to watch while exercising. What are some similar, action-packed recommended shows? Something with action but also some good character drama to it as Ouroboros offered. Thanks all!

(Is that Higabana show one of them perhaps?)

Whoops, for my first J-Drama, I picked one at random and it just happened to be a really really good one:
Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai

It's really cute and hilarious. The characters being older really helps make the story feel more mature, despite it being based on a manga.
The romance is adorable, and the comedy is really well-done. The only nag that I have is a realization in EP. 7 that feels like it came way too quickly.
The glasses guy's English and Chinese speak is so good.

Is it a common problem with Rom-com series like this where the confession happens in the last episode so you miss out on the adorable couple stuff?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yesterday I remembered that Hero Yoshihiko is on Japanese Netflix and I wanted to check it out for a while.

5 binged episodes later, I love it. Might be my favorite drama ever, I spent most of the time watching it laughing. I hope that Netflix will get season 3 after it finishes airing on TV, because it's on the same time slot as Jojo.

Kurita

Yesterday I remembered that Hero Yoshihiko is on Japanese Netflix and I wanted to check it out for a while.

5 binged episodes later, I love it. Might be my favorite drama ever, I spent most of the time watching it laughing. I hope that Netflix will get season 3 after it finishes airing on TV, because it's on the same time slot as Jojo.
Yuuup this show is so freaking funny

maxcriden

I ended up watching N no Tameni and really liked it a ton. Lots of interesting and engaging twists and turns with some real suspense to them and strong emotional cores for the characters.

Ok, so now I guess I'd say I'm looking for something similar to that show! :)

Aurelius

Just watched the first episode of Aragaki Yui and Hoshino Gen's new drama Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu.

It's an interesting concept with that marriage contract...anyway it was pretty good. Looking forward to whenever subs for the 2nd episode come out.

Also "Koi" is so catchy!
The setup is ridiculous, but it is a fun watch. And the cast is charming.

Ryuukan

Whoops, for my first J-Drama, I picked one at random and it just happened to be a really really good one:
Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai

It's really cute and hilarious. The characters being older really helps make the story feel more mature, despite it being based on a manga.
The romance is adorable, and the comedy is really well-done. The only nag that I have is a realization in EP. 7 that feels like it came way too quickly.
The glasses guy's English and Chinese speak is so good.

Is it a common problem with Rom-com series like this where the confession happens in the last episode so you miss out on the adorable couple stuff?

This was a great show, though fukada's character was a bit too dumb at times

if you want the full couple experience, watch HYD or Itazura na Kiss

Aiii

So not worth it
2 episodes into Otto no Kanojo, same Haruna Kawaguchi kawaii-ness, none of me being depressed and sobbing, this will suit me.

Ryuukan

speaking of aragaki yui, I finally got around to watching soratobu kouhoushitsu

I liked it, the meta propaganda was well done (military PR show about military PR)

highly recommended slow burn romance that doesnt take itself too seriously

Aiii

So not worth it
Ouran High School Host Club is so much fun that I am deliberately trying not to watch it all in one go because it would be over too soon. I love everything about this adaptation.

maxcriden

Has anyone see Neko Samurai?

If not go watch the trailer, you'll thank me... Probably.

Really big fan of it at times, but S2 was a bummer to me in some ways. And the weird reboot movie I wasn't too keen on. I want a S3 that delivers some satisfying resolution and more grounded stories like S1 had.

Watched the end of NigeHaji, it was great, all the characters endings were perfect.

Reaaally wanna watch this one! Glad to hear it.

speaking of aragaki yui, I finally got around to watching soratobu kouhoushitsu

I liked it, the meta propaganda was well done (military PR show about military PR)

highly recommended slow burn romance that doesnt take itself too seriously

I wanna watch that one! Gou Ayano is in it too, right?* It's the "public affairs office in the sky one?"

Speaking of Gakky, we're watching Okitegami and it's super delightful so far....

*We just watched Kounodori and he was INCREDIBLE in it. Like, he was really good in Saikou no Rikon, but this was a whole other story.

Ryuukan

pulled out another backlog show to watch, Yorozu Uranaidokoro Onmyoya e Yokoso (2013)

I enjoyed Nishikido's other somewhat recent shows, Samurai Sensei and Gomen ne Seishun, so I figured I'd try this one

enjoyable comedy, recommended lighthearted show

Kurita

I recently finished 99.9, a procedural. I'm usually not a fan of these shows but the humor in this one was on point, so that's what kept me going. MatsuJun was pretty good in this, Eikura Nana was hilarious with her pro wrestling love. That was a fun watch.

I'm 8 episodes in Juuhan Shuttai, and I think this will be one my most memorable dramas. It's based on the manga of the same name (which I'll check out once I'm done), and it focuses on the editorial department of a manga magazine. I've wanted something like this for a loooong time cause I love Bakuman, but always wanted to have the same thing from the editors' point of view.
The whole cast is great, there's a lot of characters but I care about all of them, it's funny and surprisingly touching. Can't recommend it enough.

Ryuukan

So I tried to watch Time Spiral because I liked Kuroki Meisa in Black President...3 eps in and holy shit Gackt can not fucking act, I can't finish this.

Ryuukan

Watched Mondai no Aru Restaurant

show is full of hard feels, very emotional and powerful but still great to watch

Sakamoto Yuji writes amazing shows that dive into some of the shit women have to deal with in Japan

Kurita

Finished Juuhan Shuttai a few days ago and as expected I loved it until the end. Hiiiighly recommend it.

The new seasons of drama has started, only checked Tokyo Tarareba Musume so far.
Adaptation of the manga of the same name, from the author of Princess Jellyfish.
Two episodes aired, and I'm really digging it. It's about 3 women and their 30s and their shit love life, starring Yoshitaka Yuriko, Eikura Nana, Oshima Yuko and Sakaguchi Kentaro which is all I needed to know to watch it.
It's quite hilarious, and episode 2 already had some shocking developments in it. They're not wasting any second lol Can't wait for the next episode!

blakep267

Also "Koi" is so catchy!
Yea this may be my all time favorite jdrama( well Me Nietzsche may be hard to dethrone). It's just so cute and charming. I almost didn't recognize aragaki yui as the same actress from Detective Kyoko( I'm terrible with names), but there's just something about her

Also the ending credits may be the most random/ best ever

Ryuukan

So I was sick for a few days and watched a lot more shows in my backlog:

Sono Otoko, Ishiki Takai-kei - This was entertaining mostly because it was about a young guy with too much self-esteem trying to develop a video game with 0 experience and the office lady who has to deal with him.
It was especially funny when his reaction to being conned after a successful crowdfunding (shady partner took the money and ran) was to start a new bigger kickstarter.

Bijo to Danshi - If you've watched the anime Shirobako, this show is like a live action version meant to give you a peek inside how Japanese media is produced from the agency point of view. Cute show with a good ending.

Minami-kun no Koibito - super sappy shoujo, gets weird at times but still funny.

Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku - After enjoying Soratobu Kouhoushitsu, I decided to watch more Aragaki Yui shows. I've never been a fan of NisiOisiN's works but I gave it a shot anyway. I enjoyed it even if it left a lot open at the end. I don't watch a lot of mystery shows so I can't compare it to others but the cast was great.

Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu - Another meek guy/overbearing girl story done exceptionally well with a wonderful cast. My only real gripe would be that
they could've given a bit more time to the gay relationship rather than the rushed 30 seconds at the last episode. Felt too tacked on.

I started watching Juhan Shuttai (up to ep3) on Kurita-sensei's recommendation and am enjoying it so far even tho I really don't care about manga much.

hampig

Are there any good ones on Netflix or Crunchyroll? I've tried a few and hated them all, but something about JDramas still appeals to me.

Aizo

Banned
Just finished watching Midnight Diner on Netflix. Fucking loved it. Super charming show.
Were you watching it on J-Netflix, or did they add the whole series in other regions? On Japanese Netflix, there are 5 seasons. I haven't watched all of the newest one or the second movie yet. It's a fantastic show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom