• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Japanese Dramas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was like wtf why am I being quoted.. haven't written shit in ages. But damn, Sapuri.

I'd say remember it's kind of a product of a different time now, literally a decade ago. So the Kame love interest drama was at its peak. Forget all the romance stuff honestly, it's the marketing agency stuff that's really well done. Although if I had to have a love interest it'd be Misaki for sure.

hah. I'd just never seen this thread before. I'd seen the occasional drama since probably 2000 or so but I had huge gaps that are a lot easier to fill these days, so suggestions from that era are things I keep an eye out for. I have a soft spot for workplace/comedy/police stuff so that seems up my alley.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
that era is really special.. 2005-2007. i think we wrote about it in this thread? or one of the other japanese threads.. but it was really the golden age. sapuri is a gem.

Resilient

anyone watching Yutori? gonna start ep 2 the next few days. i enjoyed ep1..was interesting. this is the first 2015-16 jdrama I've watched so i'm new to this stuff.

Kurita

anyone watching Yutori? gonna start ep 2 the next few days. i enjoyed ep1..was interesting. this is the first 2015-16 jdrama I've watched so i'm new to this stuff.

Yeah I watched the first two episodes, really digging. I'm a fan of the two leads so I was eagerly waiting for it, didn't disappoint. Exactly the kind of show I dig.
And one of my favorite bands is doing the theme song so yaaay

Haven't checked out other dramas this season though.

Skinpop

tried watching the death note live action show. they did a good job ruining all the characters. never thought they could make L this unlikable. I thought the movies were watchable and liked the anime well enough :/

Kurita

Yutori desu ga nani ka's third episode was sooooo good. I think this will become one of my favorite TV shows. I love everything about it.

Kurita

Weekly post to say that Yutori Desu ga Nani Ka was once again amazing. Episode 4 was hilarious :
-kids discovering the word "virgin" and subsequently saying "We'll protect Yamaji's virginity until you come back!!"
-the Yamaji/Akane dynamic with Sakama being jealous when they come back from that rock climbing thingy, brilliant scene
-Yamaji playing the Witch in their version of The Wizard of Oz
-how Etsuko's dumb ex (?) boyfriend found out she loved Yamaji, and how Sakama tried to use his method after

Glad the whole trial thing with Sakama and his kouhai is done (well, I hope it is).
Looking forward to what the new plot involving his sister and Maribu's bar has in store.

Resilient

Is ゆとりですがなにか? propaganda? 🤔🤔🤔

paging I'm an expert

Kurita

Ep 5 of Yutori was great stuff once again, with a surprisingly sad moment I didn't expect.
Aside from that it was hilarious as always.

Resilient

Ep 5 of Yutori was great stuff once again, with a surprisingly sad moment I didn't expect.
Aside from that it was hilarious as always.

watching ep 3 now. i swear, you would think the 2 mains post on Gaf with the way they try to solve their problems lol.

Resilient

woahhhh wtf Yutori Ep 5 spoilers
ヤマミチ just got blown the fuck out by 静磨!! wtf!! I just started and saw the love hotel bit. 佐倉 is totally fucking with 山路。
I wasn't ready for this Kurita.

bjork

Is there anyone in SoCal watching UTB 18.2? I have it on almost all the time. They show a lot of dramas and variety shows, as well as some anime and music videos.

Back in the early-late 90s, channel 18 was my go-to. I still have DVDs of dramas I transferred from VHS tapes of all that good old stuff. They look horrible, but it's a time capsule for me.

Resilient

just wrapped up Ep 5 of Yutori. Good shit at the end. the Maribu plotline is my favourite, and that's due to my mine gripe with the show - it's so preachy. sometimes too preachy. ep 5 spoilers,
yama and sakura, after they left the restaurant. was a bit much. but the end was pretty funny.
. but the Maribu plotine, dats good shit. especially the stuff with his dad. the end of Ep5 was great because of it after being pretty meh all throughout.

this is the first Drama i've really watched tho so maybe they're all like this. who knows. what i do know is that, these guys need to stop being pussies and whinging about getting wrecked at work cause that's life.

any other good recommendations for these current season of Dramas?

Kurita

Any "preachy" moments in particular? Cause I never felt like it was preachy tbh

As for the work thing, well, they make a point that Yutori aren't tough enough and should grow up.

Only other show I'm watching right now is Hibana, the Netflix original drama, which is great.
You should watch some older shows though, like Legal High or Saikou no Rikon.

Resilient

Well, there was that bit that I mentioned above towards the end of ep5 with Yamaji and Sakura. She can't handle working and being a teacher, and it's been brought up since ep2. You know how you said before that the harassment plot line hung around a bit and you were glad to see it gone? That's how I feel about this.

But like I said, this is the first drama I've watched, so maybe they're all like this :p Maribu and Yutori thread is the best for me ATM.

I'll check the older stuff out once I wrap this up. Thanks for the recommendations!

maxcriden

I haven't seen any from the current season (waiting on subs for a bunch of them), but
if you're interested in previous Jdoramas, there are many excellent ones to check out. I'd say the list in the OP has a lot of great shows as a start, like Freeter and Rich Man, Poor Woman. A lot of Jdoramas are very different from each other so some we've tried just haven't clicked with us at all. But, the two I listed above are two of the first three we watched. If you don't like sappy romance, Rich Man, Poor Woman may not be for you. The third of the first three we watched was Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, or The Man Who Can't Get Married. Still one of the best we've seen, with an indelible performance by Hiroshi Abe.

just wrapped up Ep 5 of Yutori. Good shit at the end. the Maribu plotline is my favourite, and that's due to my mine gripe with the show - it's so preachy. sometimes too preachy. ep 5 spoilers,
yama and sakura, after they left the restaurant. was a bit much. but the end was pretty funny.
. but the Maribu plotine, dats good shit. especially the stuff with his dad. the end of Ep5 was great because of it after being pretty meh all throughout.

this is the first Drama i've really watched tho so maybe they're all like this. who knows. what i do know is that, these guys need to stop being pussies and whinging about getting wrecked at work cause that's life.

I watched a bunch this season but I didn't really find anything good.
If I remember correctly, the first couple of episodes of "kekkon dekinakute shinai desu" was pretty good but then It didn't hold my interest after that.

Rainy

Banned
Anyone watching the Matsujun drama from this season? "99.9"?

Just watched the first episode, was pretty interesting imo.

Kurita

Is Yutori up to date on English subs? Couldn't find them online. Or do you both speak Japanese perhaps? Still working on my 日本語…can only understand 15% or so of a Jdorama on a good day.
Not up to date. We watch with Japanese subs :)
I try to rely less and less on English/French (cause, well I'm French) subtitles nowadays. Sometimes the translations (especially amateur ones) aren't really accurate imo so heh
Do your best!

maxcriden

Not up to date. We watch with Japanese subs :)
I try to rely less and less on English/French (cause, well I'm French) subtitles nowadays. Sometimes the translations (especially amateur ones) aren't really accurate imo so heh
Do your best!

You guys are so good at Japanese! I'm impressed. And you sir are trilingual, I never realized English wasn't your first language. Very impressive. Anyway, thanks for the info and encouragement. 頑張ります!

Ryuukan

+1 for Terrace House. Not a drama but it's fascinating. Hope we'll get more episodes on Netflix soon...

finished terrace house S1 this week, would like more soon

for now, fishing out Gomen ne Seishun from my backlog in honor of Triendl-sensei

Aizo

Banned
You all really like Terrace House? I tried to watch the first episode, and it just feels exactly like a Japanese version of The Real World, which is garbage TV to me. Am I missing something, or just drastic difference in taste?

I finished GTO on J Netflix last night. The climax is great because
every teacher becomes violent towards authority
. What a message they're sending with that show haha. In conclusion, it was fun but I didn't like it nearly as much as the manga I read in high school. Onizuka was way more of an asshole in the show, and Fuyutsuki seemed way off. Also, they didn't even include my favorite student character, and she plays a huge role originally, so that's a strange exclusion.

Kurita

I think reality TV is hot garbage but Terrace House is soooooooo good. They're all likeable in this, and their interactions can be quite hilarious.
It helps that it's not trashy/overscripted (if there is one well it doesn't feel like it) like the western counterparts. It's just sweet, nice slice of life without fake drama and all. The panel is also comedy gold. Really enjoyable TV, it just feels good to watch it. Can't wait to watch more episodes since I have a few friends who also like it lol

In other news I'm almost done with Hibana. The final scene of episode 8 is one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen on a show. Wow.

Hahahaha wow, that's the tv station I worked at when I first moved to LA.

Back in the early-late 90s, channel 18 was my go-to. I still have DVDs of dramas I transferred from VHS tapes of all that good old stuff. They look horrible, but it's a time capsule for me.

It will go off the air on September 3rd :(

They'll still have a couple of hours on Sunday evenings on 18.1, but that's almost nothing. I'm really disappointed. I don't have cable so that was the only way my wife and I could watch Japanese content on TV.

At the moment, I'm working on the French subtitles for Midnight Diner for when it airs on Netflix. Funnily enough, that's also airing on UTB.

bjork

It will go off the air on September 3rd :(

They'll still have a couple of hours on Sunday evenings on 18.1, but that's almost nothing. I'm really disappointed. I don't have cable so that was the only way my wife and I could watch Japanese content on TV.

At the moment, I'm working on the French subtitles for Midnight Diner for when it airs on Netflix. Funnily enough, that's also airing on UTB.

Off the air? What a drag. :(

karasu

I'm feeling really nostalgic for Jdrama lately. My favorites were Nodame Cantabile (watched at least fifteen times), Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, Orange Days, this one about a bartender who would solve people's problems, and a really huge crush I had on Aya Ueto. What's good as of late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom