• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about MOBA's: The dead, the surviving ones and the "unknown fated ones"

Hylian7

Would you guys say marketing, or better off said the lack of, played a major role in the demise of many of the now dead mobas?

Definitely to some degree, but I would also say the commitment to supporting these games. If you're doing a ARTS/MOBA/whatever you are calling it, you have to plan to support these with updates, balance changes, meaningful new content (aka, don't just pump heroes out to say you added more heroes, they actually need to fit in the game). A lot of these games missed that part, and it's something that Dota 2, LoL, HotS, Smite, and the like have all understood and done well (with some exceptions).

Hylian7

Other dead ones: Rise of Immortals, Dead Island Epidemic, Magicka Wizard Wars

Rise of Immortals, oh man, I forgot about that one. That one came out when F2P games just started on Steam. I remember playing it just to get an achievement on a Steam Sale or something. Hated every minute of it.

Kinyou

Demigod_Cover.jpg

DEAD.
BURIED.
SIX FEET UNDER.
TURNED TO DUST AT THIS POINT.

RIP Demigod, you were awful.
Wasn't this one the earliest games to adapt the dota gameplay? Good nose for the market.

Quonny

I like how the OP doesn't have three of the top four living MOBAs listed.

Edit: I see his later post. Still.

MOBAs are great. Between MOBAs and gacha games I barely partake in "traditional" games anymore.

Why do devs make these games?

It seems like a death sentence. Dota2 and LoL seem indestructible and there doesnt seem to be room for more MOBAs. Something like Heroes seems to survive largely because of the publisher behind it, so those 3 seems like they can compete fairly well for marketshare.

The best chance for a new MOBA I imagine is to have a console MOBA that is built from the ground up for consoles. It's so strange to see all these MOBAs because it becomes impossible for a casual person like myself to care about investing in any of them

Teggy

Wait, Dead Island Epidemic is dead? Did it even make it out of beta? I actually bought one of the early packs for it (like $7 after splitting with a few other people).

You should have two "dead" categories: one for games like Dawngate or IC, another for dying games or games without prospects (Arena of Fate).

I think you could include Jagex's Transformers game as MOBA. Technically it wasn't a MOBA, but it aimed for the same audience in the action F2P market.

Has Crytek actually said anything about Arena of Fate or people took the long silence as it being dead?

Not officially, but AoF is silent for 5 months now. Compared to how Paragon spams emails and announcements, I don't think that I have received anything more than my Beta access email for AoF. Playing Chupacabra wasn't a bad experience, but it was nothing special compared to LoL. It is natural to assume that the game is going to be either cancelled or Day1 abandonware.

OP has an extreme lack of SMITE in the "Surviving ones". It's been doing pretty well for a while now and on consoles as well.

His definition of "surviving" is more like "clinging to life"

SMITE, Dota 2, and LoL are thriving, and they should probably be put into a category of their own in the OP

Dreavus

Uhhh....Demigod had some bugs but it is one of the best mobas to ever come out. The enhanced skill tree was an awesome idea along with the sense of scale. Demigod is a solid game, it just came out before Steam was really in full swing. If it came out today and was bug free, people would love it.

Demigod made major innovations for the genre that have yet to be copied. You could play with a low number of heroes per side all the way up to five if I remember correctly. It was really fun doing 2 v 2 battles or 3 v 3. The maps were all different and visually interesting as well, something you don't often see in mobas. Demigod's level designs destroy anything you see in Heroes of the Storm. I don't want to live in a world where people hate Demigod. It is objectively a good game.

Yup, Demigod was pretty good. I cobbled together a mini LAN for this game a few times when it was still new. Supporting low player counts was a big plus for that.

The "skill tree" idea was quite cool because you ended up with several builds per hero. You didn't get to fill out the full skill tree at max level so you needed to decide what you wanted most. Team upgrades were interesting as well. Individual players could dump gold into their "ancient" to upgrade towers and creeps for the team. Maps in the game had an element of area control to them, where you could capture points on the map which gave specific bonuses.

However, trying to play the game online was a nightmare and there were a lot of bugs. And I believe the game only started with 8 heroes with 2 more that came in later which is really not enough. Also, the general-type and assassin-type each hero could be also fell a little flat IMO since all it meant were some heroes could have small creep armies (which you buy with gold) and some couldn't. By no means was it a terrible game, just a little half baked in regards to bugs and a little light on content/heroes.

TDLink

I don't know why you say HotS is for the people who don't like MOBAs. Also don't know why anyone says it's barely surviving. It definitely has a healthy player base, even if it isn't DOTA2 or LOL levels. Not everything has to be. Getting into a quick match is in HotS is very fast at all times on every day of the week. That's not an indication of a game with a struggling player base.

Even though it doesn't have an item shop, the talent system still has its own depth. And I think the shorter game times (and not having to dedicate potentially 40 minutes to playing) is a big appeal for me. Beyond that I really like the revolving maps and varying objectives. All of that stuff doesn't mean I hate other MOBAs, but I find them a lot less interesting. I was a LoL player for a long time and the variance of not knowing what you're going to get and having to adapt your character to the map via talents is a lot more satisfying than always playing on Summoner's Rift and being locked into the same map with the same 1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle formula where the only real map objectives are dragon and baron.

I really think HotS is great and eventually more people will probably catch on.

Aselith

Yah it really killed my interest after awhile. I know they sell but why would anyone care about giant mutant Joker vampire Batman, or knight green lantern.

I think the alternate versions thing was fine IF they got a pretty wide roster of different heroes before they started adding them and that actually makes sense for seasons. Like you have your regular dude season the first year then atomic next year, etc or whatever. But I remember when I played it the roster had like 15 or something dudes on it and a bunch of them were repeats. They were different heroes as far as skillsets but the fun of these IP based mobas is playing as your favorite dude. I believe they launched with all 3 versions of Batman on a very small roster.

Wish we could get a sequel to Guardians of Middle Earth. Or, at least, BC on Xbone. Wonder if the console user base is even active any more on it.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Heroes of the Storm is the junk food of the MOBA genre.

Not as complex as LoL or DOTA2 but it's a ton of fun in short bursts. Just don't play it too long or you will get really sick of it.

It's why I like it. I can come back to Heroes of the Storm periodically and do okay, not so with LoL or Dota. Generally shorter games help too.

Maximus.

I think Heroes is a blast. Hope it does well for Blizz.

I agree. May not be as complex as LoL or DOTA, but it is really fun and feels right to me and people I know who used to be addicted to LoL. To each their own though.

I don't know why you say HotS is for the people who don't like MOBAs. Also don't know why anyone says it's barely surviving. It definitely has a healthy player base, even if it isn't DOTA2 or LOL levels. Not everything has to be. Getting into a quick match is in HotS is very fast at all times on every day of the week. That's not an indication of a game with a struggling player base.

Even though it doesn't have an item shop, the talent system still has its own depth. And I think the shorter game times (and not having to dedicate potentially 40 minutes to playing) is a big appeal for me. Beyond that I really like the revolving maps and varying objectives. All of that stuff doesn't mean I hate other MOBAs, but I find them a lot less interesting. I was a LoL player for a long time and the variance of not knowing what you're going to get and having to adapt your character to the map via talents is a lot more satisfying than always playing on Summoner's Rift and being locked into the same map with the same 1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle formula where the only real map objectives are dragon and baron.

I really think HotS is great and eventually more people will probably catch on.

Great points.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but putting Smite in the top 3 and HOTS in a lower tier seems really out of whack with reality.

Don't think Smite should be in top three if Heroes of the Storm isn't there. If you follow the average viewership on Twtich+Youtube for Hots and its esports events far surpass that of Smite at the moment.

Uh its close, but I think smite is still ahead a bit. Maybe not, IDK

As for hots being for people who didn't enjoy mobas. Thats how they marketed at first, so yeah.

Disxo

Don't think Smite should be in top three if Heroes of the Storm isn't there. If you follow the average viewership on Twtich+Youtube for Hots and its esports events far surpass that of Smite at the moment.

They are quite equal on viewership, also considering the amount of money Blizzard puts into the game.

mephixto

Banned
HoN, sigh, you were the chosen one. Can Valve purchase HoN and import some of the good heros that game has? that's a dream I guess.

If you don't mind OP, The format of the opening post is killing me lol. I reformatted it below. Feel free to quote/copy/paste/adjust it if you want.

The Top:
  • LOL
  • DOTA 2
  • SMITE
The Surviving Ones:
  • Heroes of the Storm - A moba dedicated for people who don't like mobas
  • Vainglory - A moba perfected for touchscreen
  • Awesomenauts - A 2D Moba
The Dying Ones?:
  • Arena of Fate
The Dead Ones:
  • Dawngate - EA's attempt of getting into the Mobas genre
  • Infinite Crisis - A moba with the rich universe lore of DC
  • Strife
  • Heroes of Newerth
  • Rise of Immortals
  • Dead Island Epidemic
  • Magicka Wizard Wars
  • SMNC
Unknown Fate Ones:
  • Paragon - Epic games attempt of getting into the moba genre. Third person with an Z axis.
  • Supernova - Bandai Namcos attempt of getting into the moba genre. Moba with RTS elements.
  • Dropzone

Aselith

HoN, sigh, you were the chosen one. Can Valve purchase HoN and import some of the good heros that game has? that's a dream I guess.

HoN is one of the most muddy looking incomprehensible games I've ever played in my life. They really needed to do some serious design work on how that game looks to be any type of popular.

valouris

If you don't mind OP, The format of the opening post is killing me lol. I reformatted it below. Feel free to quote/copy/paste/adjust it if you want.

The Top:
  • LOL
  • DOTA 2
  • SMITE
The Surviving Ones:
  • Heroes of the Storm - A moba dedicated for people who don't like mobas
  • Vainglory - A moba perfected for touchscreen
  • Awesomenauts - A 2D Moba
The Dying Ones?:
  • Arena of Fate
The Dead Ones:
  • Dawngate - EA's attempt of getting into the Mobas genre
  • Infinite Crisis - A moba with the rich universe lore of DC
  • Strife
  • Heroes of Newerth
  • Rise of Immortals
  • Dead Island Epidemic
  • Magicka Wizard Wars
  • SMNC
Unknown Fate Ones:
  • Paragon - Epic games attempt of getting into the moba genre. Third person with an Z axis.
  • Supernova - Bandai Namcos attempt of getting into the moba genre. Moba with RTS elements.
  • Dropzone

*whoosh*

All in a day's work for Format-man

I've also been wondering, are mobas costly , like even up to AAA numbers? Does a moba need a great amount of players to make a profit?

Aselith

I've also been wondering, are mobas costly , like even up to AAA numbers? Does a moba need a great amount of players to make a profit?

Apparently since they're getting shut down left and right and it seems like many are shutting down before they even go into full release

Top Bottom