• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Pennywise's powers. (Spoilers)

Matsukaze

The bigger problem I have is that of the Turtle. The Turtle was never explained as "not really a turtle but that's the closest our puny human minds can grasp" in the way that IT was. The Turtle was a turtle. Turtles evolved on Earth (an insignificant speck in the current Universe) after millions of years. How the fuck would a turtle be the source of the Universe? The only thing I can think of has already been said by the great Rick James. I don't think King really thought these through that carefully, to be honest.
King had some inspiration on this one.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I took it as since pennywise or rather the dead lights is a primordial being that having power the more people fear you, and losing power the less people fear you is how you defeat him, with concepts that helps you beat the shit out of him

MogCakes

Wait, It is about the Christian god fighting against an Eldritch demon?

I thought it was about a scary clown killing kids.

No joke, I've been actually completely unaware of this angle for all these years, always thought pennywise was just a serial killer who liked to dress up as a clown.
It's King's universe lore. I don't think there's a cosmic turtle in Christian mythos.

A were spider is half human. Pretty sure Pennywise is really just something that is pure energy taken form. If I remember right, fear is it's favorite thing to eat and that's why it hangs around Derry scaring people. It eats adults, but their fears are pretty plain since they lose a lot of imagination growing up. Children on the other hand have boundless imagination, so their fears are a lot more vivid/tasty.

blackflag

Having read all of these Stephen King classics at a young age like 12-15 in the 80s and then finding out as you are much older that he was all coked out of his mind.

You are like...ahhh yeah it all makes sense now.

Certainly IT....the later parts but if you've ever read Tommyknockers, lol that must have been his cocaine high point.

shira

Apparently, Pennywise is an eldritch multiverse interdimentional ancient god with 'psy' powers who supposedly is pure energy and able to destroy/consume worlds. Why is a being like that just chilling out in Maine and eating some kids every 27 years again?

I'm aware that Pennywise is something called a Were Spider, and may also be a character called the Crimson King in the Dark Tower macroverse. The lore behind Penny seems really over the top compared to the creature's actual role in its own story. In IT we see it showing off various forms/mind tricks and has sharp teeth, and revealing its true form to Beverly turns her into Snow White...but nothing about those displays informs its true nature. At most I could say its ability to alter the minds of the townsfolk of Derry into complicitness is pretty strong, but that is still nowhere near the apparent all-encompassing horrors it possesses as an eldritch abomination god. So what gives? If Pennywise is so strong and dangerous, why is it just messing around in a small town on Earth? Why would Stephen King write such a powerful entity only to use it in a setting where any meaningful use of its powers would kill everyone in the town off instantly?

Damn the movie did not do a good job of explaining this. I just thought he was a ghost clown.

Matsukaze

Having read all of these Stephen King classics at a young age like 12-15 in the 80s and then finding out as you are much older that he was all coked out of his mind.

You are like...ahhh yeah it all makes sense now.

Certainly IT....the later parts but if you've ever read Tommyknockers, lol that must have been his cocaine high point.
Yeah, King has basically said he hates that book because by that point his addiction was crippling his ability to write.

bitbydeath

As to why it's were it is, eating kids: IIRC from the book, It ripped through the fabric that separates our universe from Its, crashed on Earth some undetermined time ago, and Derry was built atop where it landed. It's heavily implied the original Derry settlers woke It up and It killed them all (all 90+ settlers vanished at once).

It eats kids because it likes the taste of fear, It says it "salts the meat" in the book. Given It's shape-shifting and reality altering abilities, It preys on children as they are most easily frightened and thus tastier. And less likely to fight back.

Among It's weaknesses is getting bound into the form it chooses to take to attack the kids, making It vulnerable. Something It doesn't seem to realize until the Losers Club fuck it up.

I'm currently reading the book and haven't finished so not completely in the know but from the movies it appears he cannot stray too far from the sewers either, (possibly ship related)

Estellex

NDUjOTC.png

Who is that?

Damn the movie did not do a good job of explaining this. I just thought he was a ghost clown.

The movie isn't explicit about this stuff it really only drops a few hints into it's true nature. We won't see a breakdown of what IT is until part two. Basically everything people are talking about are extrapolation from the book and King's other works.

I've not seen the movie yet, but to be fair, the book only delves into the cosmic aspects of both It and the Turtle near the very end, during the adult segments (the Turtle is only barely referenced until just before the final confrontation in the sewers).

The Spider is supposed to be the closest approximation to an actual body that the deadlights can take in a physical space.

Jasoneyu

New movie spoiler question:
So what was up with the three light orbs in the new movie when IT was attacking Bev? Is that the true form of IT?

mrkgoo

I have this amazing brain, the potential to do anything, the power to create life.... so why am I browsing neoGaf?

MogCakes

New movie spoiler question:
So what was up with the three light orbs in the new movie what IT was attacking Bev? Is that the true form of IT?
Yep. Those were deadlights, which IT's actual form is composed of. Humans can't comprehend it and are driven insane upon looking for too long, or so the lore goes. But I'm betting it's a bunch of light orbs just chilling out in a vacuum.

zeemumu

Yep. Those were deadlights, which IT's actual form is composed of. Humans can't comprehend it and are driven insane upon looking for too long, or so the lore goes. But I'm betting it's a bunch of light orbs just chilling out in a vacuum.
05925ceb93ae1cdd0251dcfeb24ce946.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You didn't think the massive protruding jaws and the giant leech maw that opens up its entire face were odd for a ghost clown?

No. There's lots of bad design out there and attributing all bad monster design to logic and back story is silly. It may be true in this case but expecting someone to pick up on it is excessive.

I loved the film but the lore sounds extremely messy, especially when you read about turtle gods and things like that. There are things better left unexplained, Stephen King!

Pennywise is relatively weak here in this reality, and this should be considered a "node" of its greater reality that has punched through a weak part of our reality, a point where our reality is weakened by fear, and Pennywise strengthened by it. Occasionally he can do more, occasionally less. Presumably the limits of his power are variable as a result, and that imagery and metaphor are part of his feeding cycle.

This is the correct assessment. It is not as powerful in our reality.

Something makes me think that he encountered some kind of opposition in the other realities that made him flee to Earth and wait for humans since they would be easy prey. That's part of what makes the character so great. It attacks lesser creatures using fear because it is essentially afraid of existing in its primary reality. It has an inferiority complex which is why It tries so hard to convince the reader that it is so far above humanity but in the end, it's really not and this is proven when it is defeated.

In the novel, and I'll spoiler-proof this,
it seems to exist in two forms simultaneously. It's physical form exists in Derry (er, UNDER Derry), and it's true, non-physical form exists in the Macroverse (the space between universes). From the description of It's arrival, my theory is that It NEEDS a physical form to anchor itself into this reality/dimension. The arrival of It in the prehistoric times was basically the Macroverse It (the Deadlights), sending a physical form to Earth where it could inhabit as a sort of "avatar". It cannot exist in this world/space in a form of omnipotence. It is bound by where it's avatar had fallen, which is the area that would become Derry. In the first "final encounter", they heavily wound It as children, but do not kill it. Both It's physical form and Deadlights form live, thus It lives. To kill It, you have to not only wipe out its physical body, but It's Daedlights (true form in the Macroverse). They accomplish this as adults.

Now, It isn't really a god. I made a comparison to It with Patrick Hockstetter, that both live in their perceived reality, a bubble where they believe they are more significant than they truly are. Like Patrick, a fear It has is the notion that they are wrong, and they aren't as grand, unique or special as they've THOUGHT they always were. It isn't aware of "The Other', a higher, more powerful force than It that is guiding the Losers. It doesn't want to think there are things out there more greater and powerful than It (to It, the Turtle was weak and foolish, thus It believed it was superior to the Turtle), because then It would be wrong, and perfect beings can't be wrong.

This this might all be irrelevant to the movie, considering what they plan on doing with It's backstory. From what I hear about previous drafts of the script and a deleted scene Bill Skarsgard claims they filmed but got cut from the final movie...
It's origins might be more close to home, like some sorta mythical Native American deity sorta like a wendigo, that made a bargain with the early settlers that it will spare the majority of them if they (the adults/parents) allow it to feed on children and young people every 27 years. This was also supposed to explain why adults don't care/quickly forget when It starts picking off kids during a feeding cycle.

zeemumu

I loved the film but the lore sounds extremely messy, especially when you read about turtle gods and things like that. There are things better left unexplained, Stephen King!

Space monsters for another dimension messing with humans. That's all you need to know

bitbydeath

At the end of the movie IT climbed into the pipe before breaking up, I imagine the ship was down there and it was getting close enough to teleport itself?

Would that be correct?

zeemumu

At the end of the movie IT climbed into the pipe before breaking up, I imagine the ship was down there and it was getting close enough to teleport itself?

Would that be correct?

It was just bailing out/feigning death because it got Its ass kicked by a bunch of children.
It didn't go anywhere. It's more Yog Shothoth than typical alien

The story examines a group of people and how tragedy binds them as children and as adults. That’s why It comes around every 27 years. So the kids could grow up.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I was seriously hoping this thread would reveal secrets on how to use the weekly flyer to save money 🙁

Carn82

In the novel, and I'll spoiler-proof this,
it seems to exist in two forms simultaneously. It's physical form exists in Derry (er, UNDER Derry), and it's true, non-physical form exists in the Macroverse (the space between universes). From the description of It's arrival, my theory is that It NEEDS a physical form to anchor itself into this reality/dimension. The arrival of It in the prehistoric times was basically the Macroverse It (the Deadlights), sending a physical form to Earth where it could inhabit as a sort of "avatar". It cannot exist in this world/space in a form of omnipotence. It is bound by where it's avatar had fallen, which is the area that would become Derry. In the first "final encounter", they heavily wound It as children, but do not kill it. Both It's physical form and Deadlights form live, thus It lives. To kill It, you have to not only wipe out its physical body, but It's Daedlights (true form in the Macroverse). They accomplish this as adults.

Now, It isn't really a god. I made a comparison to It with Patrick Hockstetter, that both live in their perceived reality, a bubble where they believe they are more significant than they truly are. Like Patrick, a fear It has is the notion that they are wrong, and they aren't as grand, unique or special as they've THOUGHT they always were. It isn't aware of "The Other', a higher, more powerful force than It that is guiding the Losers. It doesn't want to think there are things out there more greater and powerful than It (to It, the Turtle was weak and foolish, thus It believed it was superior to the Turtle), because then It would be wrong, and perfect beings can't be wrong.

This this might all be irrelevant to the movie, considering what they plan on doing with It's backstory. From what I hear about previous drafts of the script and a deleted scene Bill Skarsgard claims they filmed but got cut from the final movie...
It's origins might be more close to home, like some sorta mythical Native American deity sorta like a wendigo, that made a bargain with the early settlers that it will spare the majority of them if they (the adults/parents) allow it to feed on children and young people every 27 years. This was also supposed to explain why adults don't care/quickly forget when It starts picking off kids during a feeding cycle.

Good writeup. I also always thought that a being like IT was a bit comparable to Tolkiens Balrogs, in regards to being ancient, evil, 'ethereal', powerful, but can be beaten in certain circumstances.

In later writings they ceased to be creatures, but are instead Maiar, lesser Ainur like Gandalf or Sauron, spirits of fire whom Melkor had corrupted before the creation of the World.[3] Power of the order of Gandalf's was necessary to destroy them,[20] and as Maiar, only their physical forms could be destroyed.

Tolkien says of the Valar (including the Maiar) that they can change their shape at will, and move unclad in the raiment of the world, meaning invisible and without form

Top Bottom