• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the new legendary Pokémon for Sun and Moon

trixx

Wonder what the gimmick is this time. The moon legendary has a regular form (crescent moon in shame) mega evolves into a shape that resembles a or close to a full moon.I have a feeling there will be something with the phases of the moon

Probably has some relation to Crescelia

No idea on sun

Neiteio

Just looked at them for the first time. I don't like the color scheme of the lion but other than that wow, great looking pokemon.

I feel Yveltal/Xerneas where better but these are really good too.
Funny enough, the color scheme is my favorite part about the lion. It looks like it was carved from ivory, marble, obsidian and gold.

In other words, it looks MAJESTIC. :)

Illucio

Banned
Psychic is cosmic/stary/galactic, which the general theme of the legendaries are pulling from and most space Pokemon have a connection to Psychic typing. (Deoxy's, Jirachi, and so on.)

Sun is Fire, hot, white so that's a no brainier.

Fairy types in Pokemon are associated with the Moon (hence why Moonblast and Moonlight are Fairy Type moves) and fairy typically have wings. (Mega Altaria loses it's Flying typing in exchange for Fairy, but Altaria could still be considered having her flying typing countered by being dragon type.)

So Solgaleo is Fire/Psychic
Lunaala is Fairy/Psychic

ALTHOUGH! Lunaala could very well be Fairy/Dark. But the 3rd name registered alongside the two is Marshadow who could be the third legendary and would obviously be Dark type and potentially being the Eclipse Pokemon to go alongside the other two.

SalvaPot

latest

Illucio

Banned

This is the 7th generation.

Olympia is the 7th gym leader and her town is located near the Sundial that is said to allow Pokemon to Mega Evolve. Not to mention her resemblance to Lunaala in terms of her cape, stars, and colors of her outfit.

150px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Blaine.png

Blaine is also the 7th gym leader and his town is a island much like the Alola region, located near a devastating volcano which ultimately exploded and destroyed the island. As well having a strong resemblance to Solgaleo in terms of colors of his outfit and the big white mustache.

Now what if the 7th gym leader in the Alola region is potentially a Dark type Gym Leader to go alongside Marshadow?

gardfish

Not really feeling either of the legendaries this time around tbh. Big step down from Xerneas and Yveltal and even Reshiram and Zekrom. I think they probably beat out Groudon/Kyogre and Dialga/Palkia, though.

Haven't really decided on which I like better. Solgaleo's design is cool, but (I hate to say it) it looks like a Digimon or Mega Man Battle Network boss, and something about its color scheme bugs me. Lunaala's design is unique and interesting, but I can't get over its lack of legs, the fact that its lower body is just a wedge looks goofy. Plus it looks like Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario...

Illucio

Banned
The vampire will be Fairy/Psychic/Dark

Yes, triple types will be the new mechanic this gen!!

Triple types seem a possibility this gen. I mean look at Litten, she has the potential to be a Fire/Dark or Fire/Poison type, but Litten could very well be Fire/Dark/Poison.

Not really feeling either of the legendaries this time around tbh. Big step down from Xerneas and Yveltal and even Reshiram and Zekrom. I think they probably beat out Groudon/Kyogre and Dialga/Palkia, though.

Haven't really decided on which I like better. Solgaleo's design is cool, but (I hate to say it) it looks like a Digimon or Mega Man Battle Network boss, and something about its color scheme bugs me. Lunaala's design is unique and interesting, but I can't get over its lack of legs, the fact that its lower body is just a wedge looks goofy. Plus it looks like Count Bleck from Super Paper Mario...

Solgaleo color scheme bugs me as well. I don't anything behind his head though, it's too many details.

Lunaala's is unique and interesting which I like and I agree the lack of legs and her lower body being a wedgie bugs me as well.

I'm in the same exact boat. It's also weird because I relate more to the moon then the sun, but I'm moving towards Sun version more. But I wouldn't be surprised to make the last minute decision and choose Moon.

Team Moon

Just think about dark/fairy combination defensive:

2x
Poison
Steel

1/2x
Ghost

1/4x
Dark

Immune
Psychic
Dragon

So good, I need this combination

they suck.

Lunaala has the exact same colors as Dianamon lol

SHOCKING NEWS: certain concepts have attributes ingrained into their cultural identity (such as purple, gold and white being associated with the moon, which - depending on embellishment - happens to typically appear as purple, gold, and white)

The Moon bat might be my favorite legendary from the past few generations. It looks really elegant. The Sun lion is kind of ugly to me, unfortunately. Don't care for his color scheme, or the plates on his legs.

Blobbers

My very first impression was "Oh it's just like Pokemon X/Y where you have one good looking legendary (lion) and one bad looking one (moon bat)"

But now I actually like the moon one a bit better. I think the lion one looks too generic. I'm starting to be really put off by his design. Sure he has a flair to the design which vowed me initially, but now that the dust is settled, I see there's not much to him. I think my main problem is that he looks too much like a lion, the maine and the body shape and the posture. Maybe if there was some otherworldly quality to him. Like if he was a skinny lion or had some huge alinen tail. Just something so he doesn't invoke so much generic lion-ness.

Neiteio

Anyone else love BOTH designs? I honestly can't pick. I'm leaning toward Sun mainly because I associate Hawaii with warm sunny days.

Neiteio

The lion just looks amazing to me:

- The regal color scheme and statuesque pose that makes him look like he's carved out of ivory, marble, obsidian and gold.

- The white-and-black contrast with gold and orange accents; the use of white space also conveys his enormity and conveys a sense of purity, like the sun itself.

- The way the clean line-work in his legs conveys musculature without adding extra bells and whistles to his design.

- The power conveyed by his billowing mane — I picture it spreading out like the rays of the sun when he fires a blast of scorching fire from his fanged maw!

The only thing I'm iffy on are the slipper-like feet, although I'm warming to them since they remind me of something a feudal lord would wear.

Voror

I quite like both and like how different they are. I'm actually not sure which to pick from honestly but I know I need t narrow it down.

ranking of cover legendary by generation:
Xerneas/Yveltal> Ho-oh/Lugia > Solgaleo/Lunaala > Groudon/Kyogre > Dialga/Palkai > Zekrom/Reshiram.

Lunaala being Dark/Fairy is what I'm betting on for typing.

Solgaleo is a bit trickier to guess for its typing. I could see them going against expectations and doing something like Steel/Psychic for it. Its mane and body looks like it could be part steel. I'm guessing for its signature attack it's mane will charge like a solar panel and then let out an energy based attack. I think Psychic could also fit it's theme with space as well. Fire is an obvious guess but I'm not 100% sure it's that since we already have one fire feline as the starter this gen but a Fire/Fairy would be an interesting typing.

Espada

so how does the pokemon universe explain random new legendaries popping up every few years?

We have thousands of mythological creatures from cultures all over the world. The series has been bouncing from regions in Japan (Gen 1-4) to different countries (Gen 5-7), with each place having different cultures and mythos. Why is it surprising that each pokemon region has their own mythological creatures (legendary pokemon)?

Anyway, my favorite of the two is easily the Pokemon Sun lion. The sun is a majestic, powerful force. Lions have, since antiquity, been associated with both majesty and power. Neiteio broke it down pretty damn well. Nearly all of Solgaleo (assuming that's its official name) design details just reinforce and refine its theme.

The bat looks cool, but some elements are just a bitch awkward (like the ornaments on the wings, and how the cosmic space is attached to them).

All in all, I like these better than most cover legendaries.

The Sun Lion looks like a knock-off Transformers Beast Wars toy, and the bat looks like a dreamcatcher come to life.

I'm not really sold on either. But then I've not liked a legendary since Platinum and its nightmare centipede.

I guess the lion looks a bit cooler, but I'm still leaning towards Moon. I'll have to wait and see which Pokémon are exclusive before deciding though.

so how does the pokemon universe explain random new legendaries popping up every few years?

You're playing these games from the perspectives of tweens / teenagers. Filling out the Dex and going on your adventures more or less keeps you confined to your own region's mythos, outside of instances like later games having older legendary trios to find post-E4 and whatnot.

The anime is basically just playing catch-up in perpetuity, so in a flimsier state as far as that goes.

Neiteio

I wonder how OP their pokedex entries will make them.

Like whenever sun lion roars, he causes a star to supernova!

Fire/Ground for the Sun Legendary and Dark/Water for the Moon one?
No way the moon legendary is dark. It gives off light!

Anyway, I'm also wondering where they come from. Some sort of aboriginee myth?

I was always planning on getting both because Sun and Moon are the best title names in the series, but after seeing both yesterday I thought the bat was embarrassingly bad. It's growing on me!

My guesses are Fire and Psychic. Maybe Psychic/Dragon.

Neiteio

After Kinsei pointed out that Fairy-types are associated with moon-themed moves, I'm almost positive that the bat is at least part Fairy.

Neiteio

Maybe they'll bring back Kyurem-style fusions and we can combine the bat and lion into some kind of badass demon cat.

Strimei

Ok, that made me laugh hard.

Anyway, I think both are interesting designs and I'm kinda glad they're different body shapes too. The whole moon wolf thing someone floated would've been cool too, I'm sure, but I'm happy they're quite different.

I'm definitely going Moon since I think Lunaala looks quite elegant and cool.

As for what they're based on, at the least, I know there's alchemical symbology with the Lion and the Sun (sun being a symbol for gold). Apparently a green lion eating the sun can also represent when a person's "consciousness [is] overwhelmed by violent, frustrated desires."

In regards to Lunaala, the moon is associated with silver, and from what I'm reading, bats apparently represent ambiguities. Also darkness (that seems to be obvious) and obscurity.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I love we're going full mecha

I'm team sun because you can never go wrong with lion mechas

GaoGaiGar-Galeon_zpsa59b4e95.jpg

611QeETp39L._SX300_.jpg

said it before and will say it again, bat kinda reminds me of Darkwing from Kamen Rider Ryuki

Top Bottom