• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Playstation Portable (March 24, 2005)

Fuuuck this thing was so slick. I remember buying a DS and then being super jealous of the kids with PSPs, it was undeniably cooler and (for a year at least) had the more interesting library. Such a powerhouse, and still looks great.

The original DS was....... a look

Aesnath

I remember buying one after the midpoint in it's lifecycle. I used my first paycheck from my graduate assistantship to do so. After talking to the clerk at gamestop, we discovered that I could buy a blue PSP madden bundle and trade the madden back in for a pretty reasonable deal.

It was beautiful. I still suspect it is the nicest looking handheld system I've owned--including the switch. I enjoyed my time with it as well. I purchased it mostly for portable SotN (and was not disappointed), but also played FF Tactics for the first time, which was great. I tried some other titles, but those were the two that made the whole thing worth it.

I feel like it truly had unmet potential.

I remember buying one after the midpoint in it's lifecycle. I used my first paycheck from my graduate assistantship to do so. After talking to the clerk at gamestop, we discovered that I could buy a blue PSP madden bundle and trade the madden back in for a pretty reasonable deal.

It was beautiful. I still suspect it is the nicest looking handheld system I've owned--including the switch. I enjoyed my time with it as well. I purchased it mostly for portable SotN (and was not disappointed), but also played FF Tactics for the first time, which was great. I tried some other titles, but those were the two that made the whole thing worth it.

That blue PSP is incredible. That's a shade of blue that I've got this weird nostalgia for.

That blue PSP is incredible. That's a shade of blue that I've got this weird nostalgia for.

I didn't even know there was a blue one! Just saw this on Amazon since you both mentioned it.

61NWDN9dleL._SX522_.jpg

I regretted my gen-1 PSP. Bad loads, bad screen, abysmal battery life... worst part is I got it right after the big round of hacks came out so GTA was selling for like $90 so I couldn't afford the homebrew part or to even play the latest GTA on the system.

I sold it without too much regret, though I eventually got a gen-2 system that was amazing. Thing was so light I was convinced when I first opened it that I got a display model or something.

I love the PSP but I didn't care about it at launch. Advance Wars for the NDS sucked up my life at that time and there was nothing that came remotely close to it for quite a while (Field Commander was okay, I guess. Ugly but okay). Fast forward to late 2007, when Jeanne d'Arc, FF Tactics and Digaea: HoD basically forced my hand to get a PSP and so I did.

I know, not exactly a launch day experience but as far as I'm concerned, this is when the PSP piqued my interest. Might as well been not-existent until 2007.

Vibed

I only ever owned a DS, but the PSP really was ahead of it's time and so cool looking. Being impressed by the DS 3D was one thing, PSP had games that looked like console games. Blew me away.

Iacobellis

Got one shortly after the US launch in 2005 with Tony Hawk and Need for Speed. The system was undoubtedly ahead of its time and bested any other multimedia device on the market.

Lumines, Ridge, Wipeout. All killer launch titles. I played Lumines and Ridge for the entire life of the system, they were just that good!

dedhead54

I graduated high school in May of '05 and used graduation money to buy mine. If I recall it was an EBGames in the mall. I bought THUG2 Remix and I believe Hot Shots Golf open tee as well. Bought a handful more games and some movies on UMD over the next year or so but unfortunately it got stolen in early 2007 and I never replaced it. I definitely felt like we were really in the future when I first got it though. Especially with watching movies. Great handheld IMO.

Necron

I remember picking up a copy of Lumines when I was in England and it was amazingly addictive. Seems like yesterday...

Hugstable

Banned
I played the hell out of PSP Ridgr Racer and Lumines. Loved those games.

Also wow never realized that PSP had a Wipeout game near launch :eek:

Lumines, Ridge, Wipeout. All killer launch titles. I played Lumines and Ridge for the entire life of the system, they were just that good!

Yep, what a machine. Only Burnout 2 can match the Ridge ad-hoc head-to-head.

Picked up a PSP around the Japanese launch in China of all places, and felt like it was tech from the future. Felt solid in the hand, great finish. First games were US imports after using it in Oz as a very early, finicky but terrific media player were Twisted Metal and Metal Gear ACID. MGA was incredible, despite its foibles.

Oz launch brought Ridge, Armored Core and Burnout into the mix.

Would go on to pretty much call the PSP my main gaming system. Owned a number of models, built a huge library, first serious online gaming came with MGS:pO and Syphon Filter.

Best local multi I've ever had. Fired Up UMD share, MACH demo, Killzone Liberation, Ridge Racer...doesn't get much better.

Zee-Row

Banned
With the launch the PSP had it should have killed the DS. The DS launch was dreadful in comparison. This is the 3-28 blown lead of video games.

kiguel182

I had a DS when this came out and I wanted one so badly. I remember watching other kids play it in the playground and being super jealous and also looking at screens in magazines and whishing I had one.

I got one with Tekken when that came out. Loved the console and I remember playing GTA Vice City stories as my first GTA was so good.

Amazing console (except for loading times).

I went with the DS first, because of Nintendo's track record. This turned out to be a mistake. That first year was so barren. Eventually I traded it in for a PSP and it completely blew me away, there couldn't have been anything better for me at that point in my life. Rez was one of my favourite games ever, and Lumines was a revelation. Ridge Racer was my favourite racing series of all time, and the PSP version was glorious, I played it endlessly. Wipeout was fantastic, though a bit tough. Metal Gear Ac!d was the game that made me finally like Metal Gear, I was so into that game and its trippiness. Gradius Collection was a really cool disc that had a couple of games which I don't think had been seen in the West before that point.

Even Kingdom of Paradise was a decent time waster; the system was completely devoid of RPGs in the beginning. It really took about 3 years or so to hit its stride in that department when they were suddenly falling like rain. On that front, the only thing that I bought in that initial year that was really bad was the original Legend of Heroes. It was the most soulless JRPG I'd ever played, I couldn't bring myself to get through it despite it being my favourite genre at the time and there being absolutely nothing else.

Eventually, the low res, blurry screen and gimpy controls got to me and I moved on from the PSP, but that initial period was as good a time as I've had with any system. The Vita fixed every issue I had with the PSP's hardware, which has me still using constantly to this day. Too bad it wasn't able to gain traction and get the same type of dedicated library, it deserved it.

Sapiens

All I remember is the American games writers and bloggers embarrassing themselves about it.

Jeremy Parish was the lone holdout.

I went with the DS first, because of Nintendo's track record. This turned out to be a mistake. That first year was so barren. Eventually I traded it in for a PSP and it completely blew me away, there couldn't have been anything better for me at that point in my life. Rez was one of my favourite games ever, and Lumines was a revelation. Ridge Racer was my favourite racing series of all time, and the PSP version was glorious, I played it endlessly. Wipeout was fantastic, though a bit tough. Metal Gear Ac!d was the game that made me finally like Metal Gear, I was so into that game and its trippiness. Gradius Collection was a really cool disc that had a couple of games which I don't think had been seen in the West before that point.

Even Kingdom of Paradise was a decent time waster; the system was completely devoid of RPGs in the beginning. It really took about 3 years or so to hit its stride in that department when they were suddenly falling like rain. On that front, the only thing that I bought in that initial year that was really bad was the original Legend of Heroes. It was the most soulless JRPG I'd ever played, I couldn't bring myself to get through it despite it being my favourite genre at the time and there being absolutely nothing else.

Eventually, the low res, blurry screen and gimpy controls got to me and I moved on from the PSP, but that initial period was as good a time as I've had with any system. The Vita fixed every issue I had with the PSP's hardware, which has me still using constantly to this day. Too bad it wasn't able to gain traction and get the same type of dedicated library, it deserved it.

I think I got a DS around the time the Wii arrived. I THINK. Because I do remember eventually using Gamefly to buy Apollo Justice Ace Attorney, loving it, and buying every single game in the Ace Attorney series, but that game didn't come out until 2008. I think maybe I bought those games a while afterward.

My first game may have been New Super Mario Bros. DS, which I was super excited about since I missed side-scrolling Mario games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I bought Metal Gar Acid the day before the PSP was released. I only played Metal Gear Acid on day one. It was worth it. GREAT GAME.

Retronauts has a great podcast about the PSP and its launch

Absolutely splendid handheld and I wish I owned one at its prime (I was a DS guy a decade ago). It's a shame that its successor didn't meet the same success, but at least the Switch is picking up where it left off.

VLiberty

You could tell from the very first months it was going to be the handheld with the best software library ever.

Wipeout Pure...oh man. I still remember I wasn't a fan of wipeout after playing Fusion, but the demo of Pure they put inside of Medievil completely changed my mind.

Went into town, HMV I think, with my dad and picked up the UK Value pack, £179.99

Think my first game must have been Ape Academy, for I was but a kid. Amazing system and easily my favourite handheld ever. Playing Vice city stories on it was crazy. Both my dad and I have our original PSP 1000 models from the launch window today.

Lumines and Wipeout were the games to get. Then Maverick hunter a few months later.
Yep. First two games I bought.
A lot of PSP games were enjoyable, but the UMD format was trash since the white casing breaks easily.

The third party(?) clear replacement casing was awesome though.

Astral Dog

I bought a PSP day 1 (with MGA).had to return it because it didn't even power on, then ended up selling it out of boredom a few months later as a classmate keep asking, looking back i could have keep it for a bunch of exclusives. But uhh nothing to be sad about.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Launch-wise it completely stank for those who were willing to wait. People will point to Lumines as the go-to software product, but even that never seemed to have the lifetime of a superb puzzler like Tetris. I grabbed one for Ridge Racer and despite its bravado against a mediocre Nintendo DS in the opening months, the PSP never seemed to pull itself out of the dim shadow of being a handheld that "almost got there."

A true flashbang.

I ordered a Japanese PSP via Lik Sang (RIP). It was my first import and with Lumines and Ridge Racer I had a ton of fun.
I'm currently thinking about rebuying it..

Qassim

I still have my original PSP 1000 - Liberty City Stories was mind blowing for me and my group of friends. Playing multiplayer on our lunch breaks at school was amazing.

It was a full 3D GTA on a handheld.. with multiplayer!

entremet

I enjoyed it, but I jumped in with the 2000 and later got a Go, which I adored. Both were stolen, sadly. Still have my UMDs, though, including VP: Lenneth.

Love the system. Never getting Mega Man Powered Up 2 is one of my saddest gaming prospects. Y'all fucked up not buying the original, jerks!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I thought it is the future of handheld gaming, but some dog_pet simulation from nowhere, killed it.

The single analog stick on PSP is a bomb though.

The triple whammy of Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing in 2005 were incredible. And then to complete the popping of the champagne bottle, Brain Age came along in early 2006 for Western audiences with a one-two punch completed with New Super Mario Bros a few months later.

No one predicted it.

5 core titles in a calendar year followed up by a new Pokemon in the latter half 2006.

sikkinixx

I brought it to my college class that day and people were crowded around watching hot shots golf with blown minds at how sleek it was.

What a great ass system

baberunisei

My favourite portable of all time. Played a lot of Locoroco, Crisis Core and the criminally underrated gems Dragon Ball Shin Budokai Another Road and Buzz Brain Bender

Linkura

That's actually way better of a launch lineup than I expected. I didn't get one at launch. Instead my boyfriend-now-husband had a Japanese one when we started dating and I've been using that one ever since. It's 1000 and it struggles a lot, but still works. I've thought about upgrading but the prices are pretty high now. :(

batbeg

I loved my PSP, had a lot of great experiences with it. That whole gen I was more thrilled with that machine than I ever actually was with my DS, though they both had fantastic libraries.

Weirdly enough one of the first memories that sprang to mind for me was playing the super mediocre Rengoku. For some reason after Wipeout that was the first super console like experience on the go for me lol.

Favorite games were the LocoRoco titles and Valkyrie Profile.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I also had an all white 2000 model, thing was freaking sweet. It was that stupid Star Wars edition, but I bought a replacement battery cover to take off Vader and it was great.

What an awesome system. I feel the same way about my Switch right now, like "I can't . believe I'm playing games that look this good on a portable!".

Hopefully Switch doesn't meet the same fate as the PSP haha!

Nick

Lumines is one of the best puzzle games ever. Sigh, I have such great memories of this cute little console.

Top Bottom