• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Game_of_Thrones_title_card.jpg

I never got in to GoT due to various reasons and I never had the time to "catch up" but I recently got a free month of HBO so I figured I'd try to go through the whole thing up to the end of Season 6 over the course of the next month. Anyone interested in doing it with me can join in on the thread. All are welcome, just please mark spoilers and indicate what episode you are talking about.

I'll kick it off with the Season 1 Episode 1:

They do a crazy amount of world building in the first episode. All the locations and people, I definitely had to rewind a couple times to get everything down. I'm guessing the map in the intro was intentional to help people get their heads around things. Although I can see it becoming annoying after awhile.

I've only watched three episodes, so I'm in this process myself. Not sure I can participate if there's going to be unmarked spoilers though, because you'll be watching faster than I can.

Man, I don't think I could go through some of the shit that happens in that show again.

Have fun though. It's a great show.

I've only watched three episodes, so I'm in this process myself. Not sure I can participate if there's going to be unmarked spoilers though, because you'll be watching faster than I can.

Hopefully everyone is respectful of using spoiler tags for everything of any importance plot wise.

shira

I started to do this. Maybe I'll check in, bit it's fookin hard to watch. Kat and her sister were so bad.

Baconmonk

I've been thinking about doing a rewatch myself, it's a ton of content and I'd love to see it all at once. The map intro may get tiresome, but it changes a slight bit in further seasons to show places relevant to the current story, so that's a neat element.

Tawpgun

I've been thinking about doing a rewatch myself, it's a ton of content and I'd love to see it all at once. The map intro may get tiresome, but it changes a slight bit in further seasons to show places relevant to the current story, so that's a neat element.

Yeah, I think it does help. The distorted "inverted globe" aspect of it makes it a little tough to gauge perspective but you get a general idea. I would google Game of Thrones map and just familiarize yourself with it.

Westeros is pretty easy to grasp. Essos is a little more confusing. Dany really gets around in the earlier seasons.

Croc

Banned
I only just watched seasons 1-6 for the first time last summer. I actually had no desire to continue after the first episode because there was so much information and I was not able to process it at all. So many characters were introduced that I wasn't even recognizing people that had already been introduced lol.

My husband ended up wanting to try one more episode the next night and we both enjoyed it significantly more. But yeah if you don't know anything about the world at all that first episode is a doozy.

i would love to but another 60 hours? who has the time

Fair enough. That was my excuse for years not catching up on the show but hopefully those who have been wanting to watch it but need a "kick" can use this thread as their excuse. Others who want to re-watch or just comment without re-watching are more than welcome as well.

asagami_

Banned
I'm reading A Clash of Kings and I'm thinking I will watch the series now I know the context. I wonder if I put something in Tinder about to binge-watching the series will help me to get dates lol

I would give up on the rewinding strategy now. It will become incredibly annoying. You don't need to know everything, just go along for the ride.

Enjoy!

yunbuns

I've kind of been feeling burnt and annoyed by the show so maybe rewatching the earlier seasons might remind me why I started watching in the first place.

Umbooki

I'm down. It's been years since I've seen the earlier episodes, so it'll be interesting to look back on things.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a show that has gone downhill every since season 1 and I can't stand what they did to some of my favorite characters like Stannis. I'll watch the final seasons but I have little desire to go back and rewatch the whole thing. Hope everyone else enjoys as I know I'm in the extreme minority on this.

OmniGamer

I'm current with the series, but started a total re-watch last week. I just got back home Sunday, same day as Season 7's premiere...decided to add HBO to my Amazon Prime channels, and binged. I'm currently on S05 Ep09. It's been great recapping and seeing many of the pieces fall into place.

Be prepared for a massive drop in quality once they run out of GRRM source material (Season 6). Watching Season 1 again was practically a different show when it comes to dialog and pacing. Still, highly recommend the show. It has its moments, Season 6 had some of the best in the series.

Grieves

Me and my Son watched all six seasons last summer for the first time. Best way to watch it, we'd never have made it if we were watching one episode a week.

Don't let season 5 grind you down.

Good luck, you're in for a treat.

Baconmonk

Be prepared for a massive drop in quality once they run out of GRRM source material (Season 6). Watching Season 1 again was practically a different show when it comes to dialog and pacing. Still, highly recommend the show. It has its moments, Season 6 had some of the best in the series.

While I agree there are some low moments later on compared to some very high highs early on, I don't believe the entire show suffers. This will be easier to notice consuming in a short time span, I've been watching weekly since Ep01

Season 1 Episode 1

Man talk about a bleak opening to a series. Tyrion seems like an absolutely crucial character to the series if this kind of bleakness continues. You absolutely need moments of levity and Dinklage is a great actor.

They sure paint a vivid picture of the Dothraki. Seems kind of similar to Orcs in LOTR.

I felt like the ending was supposed to have a huge impact on you but it kind of feels too soon since I barely know the characters.

Why do they call him "Ned" if his name is Eddard. Why not just "Ed"? Too bland?

Season 1 Episode 2

I found Daenerys swap from being a raped prisoner to wanting to please her husband and seemingly love him is a little over the top. Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

I'm not sure I understand Jon Snow's motivation for going to the Wall. He seems to love his family and doesn't seem like he'll ever see them again. Unless I missed something.

The fight at the river sure upped the tension between the 2 families. Ned doesn't seem very capable of managing delicate political issues.

Interesting that Bran woke up. I wonder if he'll be too scared to tell what he saw.

I went back and rewatched a few of the later seasons to get caught up before this season and it was amazing how much I had forgot that happened. So much shit happens in this show. Too hard to remember everything.

ViciousDS

Banned
i wonder......couldn't you do a rabbit of this and actually have live comments......of course making it invite only to GAF members

Ovid

Season 1 Episode 2

I found Daenerys swap from being a raped prisoner to wanting to please her husband and seemingly love him is a little over the top. Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

I'm not sure I understand Jon Snow's motivation for going to the Wall. He seems to love his family and doesn't seem like he'll ever see them again. Unless I missed something.

The fight at the river sure upped the tension between the 2 families. Ned doesn't seem very capable of managing delicate political issues.

Interesting that Bran woke up. I wonder if he'll be too scared to tell what he saw.
You missed something.

Look at how excited he is when he sees his uncle. He admires him and the work he does at The Wall.

Also, he loves his family, right...but do they all love him? Pay attention to that.

i wonder......couldn't you do a rabbit of this and actually have live comments......of course making it invite only to GAF members
I don't think I'm cut out for something like that. Plus I'm hoping others will join in.

You missed something.

Look at how excited he is when he sees his uncle. He admires him and the work he does at The Wall.

Also, he loves his family, right...but do they all love him? Pay attention to that.

Interesting, well more to come!

TheXbox

Season 1 Episode 2

Jon is a bastard who fears he'll never amount to anything. In all likelihood, he won't. Robb has Winterfell. Theon has the Iron Islands. Bran will likely marry into his own castle. Jon ain't got shit. The Nights Watch is a chance to start fresh and leave his bastardy behind (so he thinks).

Also his step-mom treats him like trash.

Neece

I'm not sure doing a GAF watch will be the most enjoyable experience, only because so many people will be posting jokes you won't get or trying to color your expectations with their own opinions as a whole of the series. And then there are the spoilers.

I could be wrong, though I personally wouldn't trust it.

But since you do want to experience the show with others, then it might be worth it to check out a podcast. The Bald Move guys did a rewatch of Season 1 and made it friendly for people that would be watching it for the first time.

Check it out if you like podcasts.

http://baldmove.com/game-of-thrones/101-winter-is-coming/

Rookhelm

if you're up for it, try watching with subtitles, that way you can read the names and stuff.

There are hundreds of characters and places.

Also, i'd compare the Dothraki more to Klingon, than Orcs.

I'm not sure doing a GAF watch will be the most enjoyable experience, only because so many people will be posting jokes you won't get or trying to color your expectations with their own opinions as a whole of the series. And then there are the spoilers.

But since you do want to experience the show with others, then it might be worth it to check out a podcast. The Bald Move guys did a rewatch of Season 1 and made it friendly for people that would be watching it for the first time.

I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

if you're up for it, try watching with subtitles, that way you can read the names and stuff.

There are hundreds of characters and places.

Also, i'd compare the Dothraki more to Klingon, than Orcs.
From the warrior cult angle I can totally see that but all the raping and pillaging seems a little too uncivilized for them.

Good idea on the subtitles.

Season 1 Episode 3
Didn't feel like a lot happened in this one. Lots of exposition and no deaths!

Benjen is a dumb name. Feels like it would fit better in Star Wars.

Interested to see more of The Mad King storyline. Hopefully it gets fleshed out well.

Great podcast. As are all of their others.

I've been through the series a couple of times now, so my advice for a first watch is: use a visual guide. The cast of characters is enormous and there's so many different plot threads going on in so many different locations that it can be very hard to keep track of.

I saw a post on reddit years ago that just had a picture of every character with their name and a short blurb about who they were. Was very helpful for getting through the first few seasons. Keeping a map handy is a good idea too to track character journeys.

After S4 or S5, the plot threads start converging and the cast is sharpened down from 100 characters you need to loosely follow to 20 you need to closely follow. It's also a well-worn path at that point as you a pretty versed in the world, the families and their histories, etc. A visual guide isn't as necessary at that point.

Also: Yeah, the Dothraki are brutal. It's actually one of the biggest things that I can't get over with Dany's arc. Her big thing is to be a ruler for the common people, but she knowingly chooses to rely on these people who are all about raping and pillaging common people. It makes no sense.

Laieon

I'd actually be down. I've seen every episode but still forget who a lot of the minor characters are. I also tend to get lost on plot points quite a bit. Really appreciate that everything seems to be merging now, makes it a lot easier to follow. Kind of lost interest for awhile about 2 seasons ago because I got really lost. Season 6 got me interested again.

Would love to read the books at some point too, but I'll wait until
someone else probably
finishes them.

Just starting watching this series finally myself, in order to see what the hype was all-about, so I may join. I'm up to episode two right now. Jon Snow's motivation and character confuses me, though I'm sure it'll make more sense as the series goes along.

Season 1 Episode 4

So that's Hodor. All those memes over the years. I wonder if he'll turn in to anything more than a dumb gag.

Interesting to see the noble side of Tyrion giving Bran the saddle he can use to ride a horse.

Syrio is a fun character. I like Arya too even if her character is somewhat of a cliche.

All these illegitimate children. How would they go about proving that in a medieval setting in terms of royal lineage? Can't do paternity tests and is some whore in a brothels word going to be taken?

Top Bottom